Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:57:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992909 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #1190 on: September 24, 2013, 01:36:34 PM

Depends. What are your piers going to be like?
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1191 on: September 24, 2013, 02:34:11 PM

Moors.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1192 on: September 24, 2013, 02:36:17 PM

Depends. What are your piers going to be like?

Concrete. Most likely they look a lot like shoes.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1193 on: September 24, 2013, 02:48:32 PM

1 Imports.

My female family members love it.  It is the go to place for birthdays.  I've never seen anything good there myself.  Probably my fault for not liking candles, wall sconces, throw pillows or wicker.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1194 on: September 24, 2013, 07:44:47 PM

I pointed out an error (3 actually) in a job posting once where grammar and communication were important. I didn't get a call back, though, I feel like I should have - given it wasn't a political position. HR people tend to think they're... important.

They are. They get you jobs (unless you're getting it through connections). Maybe treat them as such when trying to get a job and return to form as an arsehole later on.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1195 on: September 25, 2013, 06:58:21 AM

I pointed out an error (3 actually) in a job posting once where grammar and communication were important. I didn't get a call back, though, I feel like I should have - given it wasn't a political position. HR people tend to think they're... important.

They are. They get you jobs (unless you're getting it through connections). Maybe treat them as such when trying to get a job and return to form as an arsehole later on.
Coming from the hiring side of the spectrum I usually tell HR not to screen any applications and just hand them over.  I also like to review and unfucktor the job posting text and even occasionally resort to crashing happy hours and personally posting on craigslist, basically anything I can do to circumventaugment HR's efforts to find a qualified candidate. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1196 on: September 25, 2013, 08:22:10 AM

1 Imports.

My female family members love it.  It is the go to place for birthdays.  I've never seen anything good there myself.  Probably my fault for not liking candles, wall sconces, throw pillows or wicker.
I love the 'furniture' at places like that. Fails the first furniture test every time. I put my hand on top and move it back and forth. Usually I have to stop immediately because I'm afeared it will fall apart.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1197 on: September 28, 2013, 03:53:35 AM

Just got promoted the first time I was eligible post-tenure, which is nice - with only 18 days to go until I leave this position, I'm finally at the correct grade for it after about two years. Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1198 on: September 28, 2013, 10:36:01 AM

Welp, after 13 years, I was laid off yesterday.

Numb as hell, but attempting to see it as an opportunity rather than a death sentence.

beer geek.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1199 on: September 28, 2013, 11:29:37 AM

Numb as hell, but attempting to see it as an opportunity rather than a death sentence.

ACK!

I've been at my company for 14 years, which is slightly more than my entire adult life.  I can only imagine "numb as hell" is an understatement.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1200 on: September 28, 2013, 01:58:44 PM

Congrats to Strazos and  cry for getting laid off.

- Viin
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1201 on: September 28, 2013, 03:20:06 PM

Just got promoted the first time I was eligible post-tenure, which is nice - with only 18 days to go until I leave this position, I'm finally at the correct grade for it after about two years. Ohhhhh, I see.
Congrats man!  Is getting promoted that quickly fairly common for you generalists types, or is that pretty remarkable?  For IMS, we get auto-promoted after 18 months, then the average for getting your first competitive promotion is around 8-10 years I think (though some people fly up the ranks way faster, obviously). 

Lots of hilarious drama already since that bid list came out.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1202 on: September 28, 2013, 03:51:02 PM

That sucks, sick, here's to landing on your feet.

We just had to let 4 guys who had a minimum of 15 years with the firm go, one who was the son of one of the founders and one who had 22 years with the company.  (Big-Box retail chains aren't building anymore, Amazon is eating them.)

I can't fathom 1) staying at a company that long and 2) how you would ever adjust to another company/ culture after that.  I've changed jobs every 3-5 years since I started working, by choice or by circumstance.  It's given me a certain resilience but each new job is still a culture shock learning new procedures, methodologies and company standards. After such a long time doing the same thing for the same company it's got to be like starting from scratch.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1203 on: September 28, 2013, 06:01:59 PM

Dude, really sorry to hear that.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1204 on: September 28, 2013, 09:53:47 PM

I can't fathom 1) staying at a company that long and 2) how you would ever adjust to another company/ culture after that.  

I left my first "real" job after 10 years there. I was very apprehensive at first, but found that I was able to transition to another company and industry without any problems - and my skills really did come in handy! (Sounded like they should on paper, but it was a new completely new industry for me though still in IT).

Now I'm onto another industry after 2 years at the last one. Same sh!t, different jargon.

- Viin
Strazos

Reply #1205 on: September 29, 2013, 03:51:10 AM

Wow, that is terrible. I don't even know what I would do right now, and I've only been here for 4 years (longest at any one employer, for the record).

Is getting promoted that quickly fairly common for you generalists types, or is that pretty remarkable?

I came in as an 06 due to (low) previous pay and experience, so I had 1 admin promotion at 12 months and then again 18 months later. By three years in, pretty much everyone should be 04s and hopefully eligible for tenure (though only some percentage get it on the first pass). Plenty of people are not tenured on the first pass, and then not everyone eligible for promotion to 03 gets it (you have to be tenured first) - I think out of the 96 or so people we started with back in Sept 2009, a total of 30-40 have now gotten to 03, with the caveat that some number of people have left the service (I don't track that really) for various reasons.

It's nice and good for peace of mind, but I won't see the benefits until I get to my next assignment - I lose pretty much all pay modifiers (about 36% + COLA) when I'm back in training, with the caveat that language training is a totally different kind of stress than a normal working position.

I should expect to be at the 03 level for about 7 years, if I remember the average time-in-class stats correctly.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1206 on: September 29, 2013, 08:57:16 AM

I am so sorry.  I can't even begin to imagine what you must be going through. 

Try to stay positive.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1207 on: September 29, 2013, 09:10:18 AM

Thanks for the kind words. People like Ingmar know I've been more and more miserable there lately because of a culture shift that was just not as friendly as it once was. I've been hoping for an opportunity to find something new, so I'm trying to view this as them doing me a favor, ultimately. They gave me a severance, something that they do for almost nobody else, which was nice. Only two weeks pay, but it's better than none. Also paying for my insurance through October.

More time for Hex, I guess?

But, went out on Friday night to the local craft beer bar and have a strong lead on a job already, which made me feel great. More importantly it was a good reminder that I have a good support system around me, with some really rare bottles being broken out and shared.

The weirdest part of all this is that I haven't been unemployed since I was 19. I don't even know how to do this job search thing!

beer geek.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1208 on: September 29, 2013, 02:30:54 PM

I think the best advice is to remain as emotionally distant from the process as possible.

Why don't you try our other games?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1209 on: September 29, 2013, 02:42:20 PM

Looks like another furlough. Now my wife, because Republicans are children unable to pass laws that don't contain poison pills. Bleh.

edit: spelling.  And children is sufficient.  The political grandstanding over shit that has already passed is grand, but there are actual people working for the government.  The supply of zombies is limited.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 05:02:34 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1210 on: September 30, 2013, 07:27:52 AM

Lucky for me I'm consider 'essential personal', so it will impact me very limitedly.  The flip side to that is that in the event the embassy is in a country involved major civil unrest or even under attack itself, I'm also just about the last person who gets to leave.   why so serious?
I came in as an 06 due to (low) previous pay and experience, so I had 1 admin promotion at 12 months and then again 18 months later. By three years in, pretty much everyone should be 04s and hopefully eligible for tenure (though only some percentage get it on the first pass). Plenty of people are not tenured on the first pass, and then not everyone eligible for promotion to 03 gets it (you have to be tenured first) - I think out of the 96 or so people we started with back in Sept 2009, a total of 30-40 have now gotten to 03, with the caveat that some number of people have left the service (I don't track that really) for various reasons.

It's nice and good for peace of mind, but I won't see the benefits until I get to my next assignment - I lose pretty much all pay modifiers (about 36% + COLA) when I'm back in training, with the caveat that language training is a totally different kind of stress than a normal working position.

I should expect to be at the 03 level for about 7 years, if I remember the average time-in-class stats correctly.
Interesting.  I thought it worked that you aren't eligible for promotion until 3 years after your last one (including the admin promotion).  That’s how it works for us at least.  We come in at a 5, get admin promoted to 4 at 18 months, then a minimum of 3 years till we get our 3.  I think on average it takes 7-8 years to get to a 3, though some people fly up the ladder (my IMO just got his 2, after 11 years of service).

Heh, and don't talk to me about the loss of benefits.  Warsaw is one of the lowest paying post in the FS I found out.  We get no differential, No R&R now (I literally was the last one anybody going to Warsaw got), and low COLA.  Flip side is that I live in Poland and not Benin.     awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1211 on: September 30, 2013, 08:03:58 AM

Ugh, that sucks, so sorry.

My spouse was laid off after 21 years after surviving many RIFs - took him 7 months to find a job but he very much enjoys his new one (minus the hour-and-a-half commute each way - at least it's a purty drive). It was a blessing in disguise, really. The old company wasn't the same one he started working for - it had undergone so many changes over the years, finally being sold to another company that basically ate it while keeping the name. Culture and everything changed so much for the worse that it was practically unrecognizable.

Here's hoping you find something better soon.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1212 on: September 30, 2013, 09:45:29 AM

Looks like another furlough. Now my wife, because Republicans are children unable to pass laws that don't contain poison pills. Bleh.

edit: spelling.  And children is sufficient.  The political grandstanding over shit that has already passed is grand, but there are actual people working for the government.  The supply of zombies is limited.

Sucks, but I expect AZ and TX to continue down this route until they've totally defunded/ disassembled state government nearly entirely. That way they can point to themselves on a national level and say, "SEE, IT WORKS. (ignore the details of how we get things done/ how expensive fees are)"

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1213 on: September 30, 2013, 04:35:04 PM

Thanks for the kind words. People like Ingmar know I've been more and more miserable there lately because of a culture shift that was just not as friendly as it once was. I've been hoping for an opportunity to find something new, so I'm trying to view this as them doing me a favor, ultimately. They gave me a severance, something that they do for almost nobody else, which was nice. Only two weeks pay, but it's better than none. Also paying for my insurance through October.

But, went out on Friday night to the local craft beer bar and have a strong lead on a job already, which made me feel great. More importantly it was a good reminder that I have a good support system around me, with some really rare bottles being broken out and shared.

The weirdest part of all this is that I haven't been unemployed since I was 19. I don't even know how to do this job search thing!

Once you're in the new job you'll kick yourself for letting yourself stay with those exploitative bastards as long as you did. You'll get it.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1214 on: October 01, 2013, 01:07:53 PM

Getting hired just takes longer these days.  You could be the top candidate and they like you, but they keep interviewing others for months anyway.  Firms are looking for perfection because they can.  As was said above, distance your emotions from it.  If you radiate urgency, it will probably hurt you.

In interviews, the biggest issue will be how someone who has been at the same firm for so long can adapt to a new culture.  You will need to demonstrate that you understand this and be proactive about addressing it.

But I am in finance so my perspective might be irrelevant to you!

I have never played WoW.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1215 on: October 01, 2013, 03:03:44 PM

Ran into this presentation for MBA grads looking for a job, but might be useful for non-MBA types too.

http://www.humanworkplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Quick-and-Dirty-MBA-Job-Search-2012.pdf

- Viin
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1216 on: October 11, 2013, 05:16:53 PM

An amusing thing happened today...

I got a letter from the EDD talking about the Next Steps for Unemployment.

I also got a jury summons. that $5/day stipend is suddenly looking a lot better!

beer geek.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1217 on: October 13, 2013, 04:48:15 PM

Glad you haven't lost your sense of humor.

I'm about to start looking for something else.  I'm well past my tolerance level of BS.  Wondering when the whole house of cards is going to come tumbling down makes me morbidly curious though.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1218 on: October 14, 2013, 05:28:24 AM

I hear that.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1219 on: October 14, 2013, 06:39:37 AM

Morbid curiosity is a fine thing, as long as you have one foot in the life boat.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1220 on: October 14, 2013, 08:07:41 AM

Random headhunting offers seem to appear again this time of year, mostly for jobs that are horrible international taxation in the private sector.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1221 on: October 14, 2013, 04:30:27 PM

Morbid curiosity is a fine thing, as long as you have one foot in the life boat.
If the company goes bye-bye then I've got a solid claim on Unemployment.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1222 on: October 15, 2013, 06:40:31 AM

If the company goes bye-bye then I've got a solid claim on Unemployment.

Have you moved to Canada?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Strazos

Reply #1223 on: October 18, 2013, 10:29:48 AM

Finally back in the Western Hemisphere for the foreseeable future. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1224 on: October 18, 2013, 10:46:11 AM

Great, you can help take down all these barriers that were placed around otherwise unattended monuments.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: