Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:56:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992836 times)
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1155 on: August 12, 2013, 06:40:41 PM

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:17:31 AM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1156 on: August 22, 2013, 07:34:13 PM

Got the promotion. I'm IT now and not quite sure how I feel about that.  Mo' money and better promotion possibilites make it an overall plus, but I feel like I'm betraying my degree.  I'll get over it and can always go backin the future,tho.  I also never have seen the IT guys pulling regular 60 hour weeks, so, yeah.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1157 on: August 22, 2013, 07:55:38 PM

Congratulations?

IT is as good a place as any to "waste" a degree for a better paycheck.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1158 on: August 23, 2013, 07:26:49 AM

I also never have seen the IT guys pulling regular 60 hour weeks, so, yeah.

Congratulations, then.  Either it's stable or they hide the interruptions well.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1159 on: August 23, 2013, 08:05:36 AM

Congratulations?

IT is as good a place as any to "waste" a degree for a better paycheck.

Yeah, thanks. The angst is totally existensial as I transition to a new career path. At least it's not one where I abandon all knowledge and my past is useful.  A design tech manager who doesn't know how to put together a construction drawing set is more useless than a glass hammer.

I also never have seen the IT guys pulling regular 60 hour weeks, so, yeah.
Congratulations, then.  Either it's stable or they hide the interruptions well.

Both. The network guys work very hard to maintain stability, and have the bonus of a CEO who came-up on the IT side and understands the need to not cut IT off at the knees. (Which is unusual for a design company) 

The worst 2 problems we've had in the 3 years I've been here are:
 1) A switch blew, which then caused one that was failing to totally fail under the strain. Both were slated for replacement but departments demanding the network couldn't go down on 3 consecutive weekends due to deadlines had delayed it.  Network was out for about 6 hours starting at around 7am.

2) 2 underground transformers blew on the street outside and caused a fire in an adjacent building that killed our external connectivity. The lines run through a Bell conduit in that building's basement and the power was auto-cut when the fire happened.  Total downtime 10 hours, but it started at 3pm on a Thursday.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1160 on: August 23, 2013, 09:08:33 AM

Now is your chance to install redundant network switches.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1161 on: August 23, 2013, 10:53:34 AM

Not *my* chance, not my scope!

Design Tech Manager: aka.  The Cad/ Revit/ Adobe/ Rendering software guy.   I'm all software, training, standards and license management.  Hardware is the other guys' problem!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS  why so serious?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1162 on: August 23, 2013, 11:22:29 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1163 on: August 23, 2013, 12:02:30 PM

I knew that'd getcha.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1164 on: August 23, 2013, 03:52:52 PM

Not *my* chance, not my scope!

Design Tech Manager: aka.  The Cad/ Revit/ Adobe/ Rendering software guy.   I'm all software, training, standards and license management.  Hardware is the other guys' problem!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS  why so serious?

Ahh you are the guy who gets to live inside what I like to call the "Nexus of Suck" which is the area where the  people who have to be responsible for getting Adobe and AutoDesk products working at the same time live.  ACK!

We have consultants on site next week to start our Archibus upgrade project. That is going to be so many levels of not fun. Thankfully I am not tasked with dealing with that directly (though I have to deal with our stupid fucking website re-design debacle and the upgrade of our power plant control suite during that same timeframe so I probably am not much of a winner).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1165 on: September 03, 2013, 07:13:48 PM

So I was bitching about my worthless team lead a while back. Well, I got rotated finally and moved into a different queue.

It sucks really bad; this queue is basically 4-5 colleges smushed into one and we only recently took over so we're converting from one domain to the other. I've been miserable at work and busy thanks to the massive pre-semester start crush. We're still catching up but my new team lead is stressed out and so busy he can't really assign stuff or keep track of who is doing what all the time so he appealed to our main supervisors for help.

Guess who just got the job to kinda take a look at our queue and assign stuff to people?

Yeah, my worthless former team lead. Who knows nothing about this queue. Who has never worked over here. Whose mission seems to be do as little work as possible through delegation. They literally squashed my only silver lining.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1166 on: September 05, 2013, 09:15:25 AM

Time.  To.  Go.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #1167 on: September 05, 2013, 09:17:39 AM

In 2013, if you have a job, you don't get to complain about your job. That should be America's new motto. "America: Lucky You, Fucker."
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1168 on: September 05, 2013, 10:37:24 AM

So, I've been without a job for uncomfortably long and am having to look a lot farther afield than I usually would, and I've run in to a few postings looking for "search evaluators" but I have no idea WTF they are.  Anyone know?  Everything I can find about them says something vague about making sure that internet search results are valid, which seems like a weird thing to be doing unless you're running a search engine yourself, which I don't think a lot of these companies are.  Something about it sounds sketchy, anyone know what the deal is there?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1169 on: September 05, 2013, 11:31:15 AM

No it's not sketchy unless the company that's offering the job is why so serious?

Here's Google's description of what it is:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/search-evaluation-at-google.html

And here's a job posting which is a bit more vague but does in general match what is written above:

https://www.leapforceathome.com/qrp/public/job/1

I would also imagine that there are related positions at companies checking to see that their SEO is doing what they want it to do. I.e. you would be checking search results for a batch of query terms related to that company and making sure things show up they way they want them to. A lot of that can be automated but there's still a human component to it like checking for other companies abusing your trademarks to boost their search results or place their ads on the first page of your search terms.
Lianka
Terracotta Army

Reply #1170 on: September 05, 2013, 11:36:03 AM

In 2013, if you have a job, you don't get to complain about your job. That should be America's new motto. "America: Lucky You, Fucker."

America, slowly turning into Atlantic Canada..
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1171 on: September 05, 2013, 12:03:35 PM

That was my motto in 2008.

Granted I'm not looking hard right now but I've had offers because I listen to leave this current job. I would like to think things are a shitton better than they were in the market 5 years ago when everyone was just telling you to fuck off, but who knows.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1172 on: September 05, 2013, 12:10:28 PM

Things are getting better, but really, really slowly and you'll find yourself meeting a lot more pigfuckers.

Seriously, it's like in times of financial trouble, they dump good guys and keep utterly, utterly useless fucking shitheels.

I suspect this is why revolutions happen;  the burning desire to string up assholes from lamposts.  I know I could do with some of that therapy.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1173 on: September 05, 2013, 12:53:16 PM

Speaking of.

LONDON (Reuters) - British electronics retailer Currys issued an apology on Thursday after admitting that interviewees trying to earn a job as a sales assistant at one of its stores had been made to dance.

The jobseekers, who were attending a group interview at a Currys Megastore in Cardiff, had to perform dance routines during team building exercises which the firm said did not form part of its formal procedures.

"I think everyone initially thought it was a joke. But they were serious," Alan Bacon, one of those at the selection day, told the BBC.

"I ended up dancing to 'Around the World' by (French electronic music act) Daft Punk, doing rubbish robotics in my suit in front of a group of strangers. Another middle aged guy looked really upset as he danced to a rap song."

Currys, which is part of Dixons Retail, said the incident should not have happened and it was carrying out an internal investigation.

"We are extremely disappointed that one of the management team at the store in question did not follow our official recruitment processes," Currys said in a statement.

"We are extremely sorry to those interviewees impacted; all are being asked to attend another interview where they will be given a proper opportunity to demonstrate how they can contribute to our business."

(Reporting by Michael Holden)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1174 on: September 05, 2013, 01:35:38 PM

Job interviews are nothing more than dancing for the interviewer anyway.  May as well make it literal.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1175 on: September 05, 2013, 01:53:46 PM

Fuck me gently.

Those people should be suspended from lamposts neckwise.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1176 on: September 05, 2013, 03:34:27 PM

Layoff season.   ACK!  This will be the first one I am actually, truly worried about.   Business is changing so much anyone could end up on the table.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1177 on: September 05, 2013, 03:38:22 PM

You're worried every year and get 50 job offers like every 3 months.

What did I JUST say about complaining?
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1178 on: September 05, 2013, 03:52:28 PM

Are you still actively searching or is it more of a wait and see thing at the moment?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1179 on: September 05, 2013, 04:01:19 PM

Enjoying my furlough.  Nothing like being able to build your PC at 10am instead of 10pm.

-Rasix
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1180 on: September 05, 2013, 09:50:41 PM

Job interviews are nothing more than dancing for the interviewer anyway.
I was on the committee for one today... It was awful.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1181 on: September 06, 2013, 07:01:48 AM

The husband is looking and trying to expand out from banking (he's been in the field for 20+ years now) and is open to doing other, related things.  He finds a position on a job board for a BSA and the qualifications are all stuff that he's done for years, he's just never had a title that said BSA in it.  He applies and it goes to a recruiting firm instead of the employer (which was named in the job description).  Said he got a reply in under 5 minutes saying thanks, but you're not qualified.  So he got pissed and went directly to the company site and applied there, will be interesting to see what happens.

He's only been looking for 2 weeks now but I'm hoping it doesn't take him as long to find a job as it did the last time I was out.

Lianka
Terracotta Army

Reply #1182 on: September 13, 2013, 12:47:12 PM

Good thing I didn't get much chance to prepare for that interview, since they didn't ask me anything about anything I would have prepared for!

1stRecruiter: It's going to be on machine learning and classification. It's not going to be a technical interview.
2ndRecruiter: It's going to be a tech interview.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1183 on: September 24, 2013, 08:05:24 AM

Bullet from a job description:
Excellent verbal and written communication skills to communicate with a wide variety of Technical groups and Senior Managers as well as Piers.

Ohhhhh, I see.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1184 on: September 24, 2013, 08:21:41 AM

Bullet from a job description:
Excellent verbal and written communication skills to communicate with a wide variety of Technical groups and Senior Managers as well as Piers.

Ohhhhh, I see.

You never know when you might need to communicate with a pier (and not many people can do it)  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1185 on: September 24, 2013, 08:27:30 AM

Try an Aldis Lamp.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1186 on: September 24, 2013, 09:51:57 AM

That is from a super-serious AIX job listing, by the way.  If you can do kernel debugging on AIX and also know C/C++, it looks like a good position.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1187 on: September 24, 2013, 10:24:18 AM

I pointed out an error (3 actually) in a job posting once where grammar and communication were important. I didn't get a call back, though, I feel like I should have - given it wasn't a political position. HR people tend to think they're... important.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1188 on: September 24, 2013, 10:53:32 AM

That is from a super-serious AIX job listing, by the way.  If you can do kernel debugging on AIX and also know C/C++, it looks like a good position.

Assuming you can get by the HR wank that wrote that description.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1189 on: September 24, 2013, 12:32:43 PM

Assuming you can get by the HR wank that wrote that description.

Doesn't seem insurmountable. awesome, for real

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: