Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:01:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 993033 times)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1050 on: May 02, 2013, 04:21:52 PM

I don't work in IT - underfunded, undermanned USG stuff.

However, I'm paid for 40 hours a week (though they get about 50 normally). It just always comes down to -

Does it HAVE to be done today? Usually, that answer is no. In theory, I could work 80 hours a week and never quite be "done" everything, but it simply wouldn't be worth the time.

It's not like we're not busy, with no deadlines or work that doesn't pile up - but you can plan for vacations, if you want to. I'm sure you're entitled to vacation time, or more more time with your family, or whatever. You should really try to take it.

Especially in workplaces where it sounds like there's some degree of redundancy. Unfortunately, it sounds like your bosses are terrible with spreading workload or planning well.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1051 on: May 02, 2013, 05:05:34 PM

However, I'm paid for 40 hours a week (though they get about 50 normally). It just always comes down to -

Does it HAVE to be done today? Usually, that answer is no. In theory, I could work 80 hours a week and never quite be "done" everything, but it simply wouldn't be worth the time.

It's not like we're not busy, with no deadlines or work that doesn't pile up - but you can plan for vacations, if you want to. I'm sure you're entitled to vacation time, or more more time with your family, or whatever. You should really try to take it.
You obviously don't work with physicists.  They never take time off unless mandated and many have no real interests outside of work.  You are labeled the source of the problem if you aren't in whenever they snap their fingers because something broke or they want to try an experiment to make the machine run a little better for the users.  Then your boss has a talk with you about "working smarter and getting more done" and when you complain about having to work 10.5 hour days are replied with "well I work 12, quit complaining."
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1052 on: May 02, 2013, 05:41:38 PM

Picking my words carefully... if you want to work IT in a global company there are downsides.  It can get ugly.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1053 on: May 03, 2013, 06:20:29 AM

I love IT.  I hate dealing with people.

The latter is a problem with almost any career path.  The more I'm forced to do of the latter, the less I get to focus on the former.

And non-IT types have a tendency to want updates every five-fucking minutes when it can take me hours to research and more to see if my fixes are working.  They don't like the answer, "I won't know until it's working," or the ever popular, "I can't juggle a dozen mentally intensive tasks with ever-changing priorities at the same time.  Pick one."

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1054 on: May 03, 2013, 06:21:40 AM

Picking my words carefully... if you want to work IT in a global company there are downsides.  It can get ugly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR3fD5YyN3g

Edit to say that I enjoy what I do.  I enjoy my career as well as my job.  You know, the meta-job.  You have to play that as well.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1055 on: May 03, 2013, 06:46:02 AM

IT is definitely not my first love. I do ok at it, but I am no where near as technically skilled as a lot of you seem to be. I am quite fortunate to be working for a fairly successful Oil and Gas company so my compensation and benefits are extremely good for the IT industry as far as I can tell.

What I lack in technical skills I make up for with social skills - I tend to be the face of our team because they other guys have no interest or desire to interact with the rest of the company. I found a decent little niche and it's worked out quite well for me so far. I can take the training to keep improving my technical knowledge, but being able to successfully interact with the business is what has helped me the most.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1056 on: May 03, 2013, 07:23:51 AM

I do IT because I can, not because I love it. I do love being able to help people every day. It's pretty amazing that I can make our community a better place, not a lot of people get that chance.

I'm like Murdoc, I'm not the most technically gifted, but I have a good social skillset. The mayor knows two people by name and face - our Director and me. Really what IT boils down to is troubleshooting and scientific method, imo, training is helpful but no guarantee of performance, especially over the long haul. I can get up to speed on any technology fairly quickly, but being able to accurately and quickly diagnose and fix a problem is what puts the money in the pocket.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1057 on: May 03, 2013, 09:16:24 AM

Yeah I'm similar in that I'm not the most solid technical accountant in terms of knowing the tax code backward and forward, or every stupid GAAP regulation. However, I can find them quickly and apply the correct answer to any question.

What I'm good at, that almost 90% of accountants suck at, is dealing with people and selling my services. At the end of the day, having technical expertise doesn't make you as much money as being able to bring in new business.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1058 on: May 03, 2013, 10:02:16 AM

Those soft skills are enormous.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1059 on: May 07, 2013, 04:22:15 PM

Waiting on answer of 2 interviews (pretty sure I did not get Tampa gig) when out of the blue a Director I worked with years ago shoots me and one of her Direct reports a note (she has since moved on to a senior exec position on the Wireless side) asking me to send my resume in as they have an opening.

Never been in this position.  wtf

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1060 on: May 07, 2013, 04:49:47 PM

Ride it!

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1061 on: May 07, 2013, 05:00:22 PM

Ride it!

Trying to.  Just got word Tampa may still be in picture.

It is interesting but scary.  Next decision will impact rest of my career.   ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK!

schild
Administrator

Reply #1062 on: May 08, 2013, 12:38:02 AM

No it won't, you have the luck of a man that walks away from a lightning bolt unscathed and picks up a winning lottery ticket.

With the position you're in, freaking out makes you look like a pussy. Stop that.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1063 on: May 08, 2013, 01:16:49 AM

awesome, for real

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1064 on: May 08, 2013, 04:14:19 AM

No it won't, you have the luck of a man that walks away from a lightning bolt unscathed and picks up a winning lottery ticket.

With the position you're in, freaking out makes you look like a pussy. Stop that.

Your right, I sound like a whiny douche attempting to brag. 

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1065 on: May 08, 2013, 06:34:47 AM

Having 20 kids to feed does things to a man.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1066 on: May 20, 2013, 05:50:59 AM

Anyone have any knowledge about getting a (real) job in europe if you're an EU citizen but speak only English and don't want to live in the UK? Is that even possible at the best of times, let alone now?

I have an arts degree and a masters in publishing. I expect not...
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1067 on: May 20, 2013, 05:53:38 AM

Happens all the time, but like most things like that, you gotta know someone who knows someone, etc, etc.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #1068 on: May 20, 2013, 10:36:45 AM

Anyone have any knowledge about getting a (real) job in europe if you're an EU citizen but speak only English and don't want to live in the UK? Is that even possible at the best of times, let alone now?

Hi!

In related news, I'm sat n a hotel in Madrid doing a quick round up of forums, email etc before going out to dinner with some guys who will almost certainly give me a job offer in the next few days. I sat in on them today and participated in some design meetings and they appeared to be impressed so I may not be unemployed for much longer.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1069 on: May 20, 2013, 11:58:25 AM

Awesome.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #1070 on: May 21, 2013, 12:20:33 PM

This is the hallway of the office.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:41:49 PM by IainC »

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1071 on: May 21, 2013, 12:38:47 PM

looks like Mojang's crib
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1072 on: May 21, 2013, 12:50:30 PM

I've run into a lot of English only speaking ex-pats here in Warsaw, doing all sorts of various things.  Main way to pull it is to work for a multi-national company and transfer over, but there are all sort of niche jobs looking for a fluent English speaker.  If you don't want to attempt the large corporate route, it's really a matter of making friends in the right places who can recommend you for jobs, or just searching the job market yourself very hard and throwing yourself at everything you see.  And then of course there is always teaching English which is easy to pull off, but I assume that's not what you want to do.

Or become a game developer apparently.

Also, I thought you where Australian?  How are you an EU citizen?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1073 on: May 21, 2013, 02:26:39 PM

We have dual citizenship, which I have to the EU through a parent.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #1074 on: May 22, 2013, 05:27:33 AM

They offered me the job and pretty much everything I asked for salary and benefits wise. I have till Monday to decide whether to accept or not but I think I will unless I see somehting in the written offer that makes me pause.

Lamaros. I am British, speak mostly only English although I have taught myself French and German after moving to those countries and am moving to Spain soon knowing no Spanish. Depending on what it is that you do, you would need to find a company that recruits from all over Europe or has a large proportion of English speaking staff. That way you can be confident that the office business will be conducted in English. I find that you need a surprisingly small knowledge of the local language to live normally in a foreign country; you use a very limited palette for things like shopping, eating out, tourist stuff etc. While you will need help for more complex issues like contracts, immigrant registration and so on, any company worth its salt shoudl be able to provide that help easily enough.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1075 on: May 22, 2013, 06:43:44 AM

You gonna say the company or continue being vague with pronouns?
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #1076 on: May 22, 2013, 07:26:50 AM

It's eRepublik. I haven't accepted yet although I almost certainly will. They have a new studio in Madrid to make new games that are very different from their eponymous browser game.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1077 on: May 22, 2013, 07:35:41 AM

Word.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1078 on: May 22, 2013, 10:01:57 AM

It's eRepublik. I haven't accepted yet although I almost certainly will. They have a new studio in Madrid to make new games that are very different from their eponymous browser game.

Congratulations! 

So much for my matador theory.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1079 on: May 22, 2013, 11:24:01 AM

He did say they were looking to make something very different.  There's still hope!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
schild
Administrator

Reply #1080 on: May 23, 2013, 06:41:14 AM

Been dancing with this young company for a few months now (read: 4). They were going through the hiring of a new CEO so it was just a slow process. New CEO comes in, decides he doesn't want to fill this position for a few months.

I'm going to go fucking insane. I swear.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1081 on: May 23, 2013, 06:56:54 AM

New CEO comes in, decides he doesn't want to fill this position for a few months.

This is code for "putting the position on hold until one of his cronies becomes available".
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1082 on: May 23, 2013, 07:03:42 AM

Yes.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #1083 on: May 23, 2013, 07:08:28 AM

I would absolutely agree with that in 99% of the cases. I don't believe I'll get a call back but I believe they're not filling the position right now. For that particular job, I am one degree of cronyism through one of his friends and old bosses.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1084 on: May 23, 2013, 07:11:46 AM

Obviously they are waiting for the gifts to arrive or the golf game to be scheduled.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: