Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:36:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 993128 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #1015 on: May 01, 2013, 09:38:12 AM

I've sent out in excess of 40 resumes in the last couple months - many of which went to jobs I'm overqualified for - aaaaaaaaaaaand I've heard back from 3 companies.

I don't know when HR got this lazy, but it certainly wasn't like this in the early 00s and late 90s.

Edit: Actually, I take that back, it was more like 6 positions, but some of them are government positions. Also, hiring processes now take FOREVER because everyone wants to hire by committee. Which really doesn't build the world's best team, it builds the world's most agreeable team.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1016 on: May 01, 2013, 09:46:11 AM

I've sent out in excess of 40 resumes in the last couple months - many of which went to jobs I'm overqualified for - aaaaaaaaaaaand I've heard back from 3 companies.

I don't know when HR got this lazy busy, but it certainly wasn't like this in the early 00s and late 90s.

Fixed it for you.  Unemployment is so high companies are receiving between 200 and 300 apps for single postings in standard industries, much less cut-throat "everyone wants in" ones like games.  They only get back to you if you're considered now, it's up to you to follow-up just to be sure they got your app and resume.

Connections are the only way to get a job these days in my experience.  If you don't know someone who can refer you or suggests you for a position you're lumped in with all the others needing a truly standard resume to get  noticed.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1017 on: May 01, 2013, 09:49:37 AM

Firing off resumes has never worked for me. I did face to face meetings over and over again with different people just to discuss my career plan, not necessarily get a job.

Those people knew people who put me in touch with my current company. And even then, there was no job promised, it was just another meeting where they were impressed and came back to me when something opened up.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1018 on: May 01, 2013, 09:57:49 AM

I've also noticed that nobody ever contacts me to tell me a position has been filled.  Hell, in 90% of cases I don't even know if a place got all of my application materials.

This appears to be SOP for HR professionals fucktards. They can all burn in hell.

This infuriates my wife to no end. Seems like nobody ever calls her back even to say "We went another direction." I'm used to it. I don't ever get callbacks if I don't get the job.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1019 on: May 01, 2013, 10:24:25 AM

I don't know when HR got this lazy busy, but it certainly wasn't like this in the early 00s and late 90s.

Fixed it for you.  Unemployment is so high companies are receiving between 200 and 300 apps for single postings in standard industries, much less cut-throat "everyone wants in" ones like games.  They only get back to you if you're considered now, it's up to you to follow-up just to be sure they got your app and resume.

Connections are the only way to get a job these days in my experience.  If you don't know someone who can refer you or suggests you for a position you're lumped in with all the others needing a truly standard resume to get  noticed.
I'm not actually applying for gaming industry jobs for the most part. Generally I'm applying for obscure UX position jobs, but I'm beginning to think everyone is  (and my previous title, director level, may seem a bit much). I've been varying my title to lower SOUNDING positions on resumes to some positions.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1020 on: May 01, 2013, 10:26:23 AM

Probably a good call. Not knowing IT I can't say. Still applies that there's hundreds of resumes for every open position.

I can't believe I wrote truly standard instead of truly stellar.  swamp poop

Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1021 on: May 01, 2013, 11:02:35 AM

Current job I got because my current co-worker walked into my employer at the time and asked the 2 people left if we were interested in another job. So its been over a decade since I have had to apply for a job now. That being said I have worked with a bunch of HR people over the years and when I did the hiring I always called people back if I interviewed them to tell them the job was filled. If I got a random resume I didn't call them back.

Schild I imagine you probably scared off a couple people by putting director on your resume. If I saw that you were applying for a lower level job with that I would think you were just trying to get a job while you were looking for something better. Even if that is true it is usually a red flag to HR people.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1022 on: May 01, 2013, 11:09:18 AM

Yea, I've since changed it to Lead Designer or just Designer in some cases. Of course, that's thrown out the window when they see my previous salary - they get an idea it's higher than it was on the resume undecided
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1023 on: May 01, 2013, 01:24:22 PM

Well, don't put your salary on there.  I don't put my education on my resume.

Hiring by committee is how I've had it done for any corporation of any size, except this job I just got which falls squarely into the who-you-know shoo-in type.  Even then it was the manager and one of his leads.  The point, as it was explained to me, of hiring by committee is (or can be) to make sure you're a good fit with the group.  Which is what I think you said, but in a more angry voice.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1024 on: May 01, 2013, 01:28:01 PM

Unless the company is doing a background / credit check don't put your salary on there. Even with a background check they are really not going to get that info. At this point I imagine just getting a job would be nice you can always look for a better one once you are employeed (american way right  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? )
schild
Administrator

Reply #1025 on: May 01, 2013, 01:38:37 PM

Sigh.

I don't put my salary on my resume. That would be plum stupid.

My resume is fine. Better than fine even.

Stop making assumptions. The both of you. I should've chosen the word "hear" instead of "see."
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1026 on: May 01, 2013, 01:45:06 PM

I would then use "out" instead of "on".  How does previous salary come up in an interview such that you can't dismiss it or make up something?

I'm Mr. Blurty McBlurterson, but you are a smart guy.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1027 on: May 01, 2013, 01:50:25 PM

Shrug you said once they found out your salary I assumed it was on the resume or it came up in the interview :) . Not questioning your quality of resume anyway. Job market is hard and you will find something hopefully before you are forced into selling body fluids  why so serious? .
schild
Administrator

Reply #1028 on: May 01, 2013, 02:55:29 PM

I would then use "out" instead of "on".  How does previous salary come up in an interview such that you can't dismiss it or make up something?

I'm Mr. Blurty McBlurterson, but you are a smart guy.
Because I would rather not take much less.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #1029 on: May 01, 2013, 05:16:48 PM

Completely different field then most of the people here looking for work (work in a hospital) but I got my job about 6 months ago by finally just putting on a suit and taking my resume directly to the guy who does the hiring. Just went around HR all together. Actually was very surprised how well it worked since I went from no replies to getting a job offer the next day. I was at the point in my job search where I would have taken almost anything to get back to work but I ended up getting the job I really wanted by doing that.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1030 on: May 01, 2013, 06:36:18 PM

Because I would rather not take much less.

That's fine, I thought you considered it a mistake or something.  This probably sounds weird, but I have no idea if my salary will change in my new job.  My belief is that if it were to be somehow lower (unpossible), I'd have been notified already.  I'm just that excited to get to that position.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1031 on: May 01, 2013, 09:05:04 PM

If its in the same company, I don't ever see pay change *down*. Usually, I see it stay the same for more responsibility (cheaper than hiring someone from outside that would want more money).

- Viin
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1032 on: May 02, 2013, 06:29:28 AM

In the eleven years I've been with my current company, I've changed position five times. Only once did my salary go up. Every other time, they used it as an excuse to not give me a raise that year, since I'd only just started in that position.  swamp poop

I do like the company though, even though I still make less than I did 12 years ago doing IT for a logging equipment company. (It pays to work in the boonies)

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1033 on: May 02, 2013, 06:36:00 AM

This is my assumption.  I expect it will just give me more bargaining power during the end-of-year when we look at compensation.  Of course, I'm the new guy so I'll have to step up first.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1034 on: May 02, 2013, 06:36:30 AM

You got screwed big time, Bunk.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1035 on: May 02, 2013, 06:43:18 AM

Money isn't everything.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1036 on: May 02, 2013, 07:42:35 AM

I agree, but if he's doing the job anyway he might as well get paid properly.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1037 on: May 02, 2013, 09:54:29 AM

I know they did. I put up with it for the sake of stable employment and four weeks vacation.

They've treated me better the last few years now that I'm in a pointy haired boss position. 4 - 6% each of the last four years now, plus a few stock options (which actually sold for a profit this year!).

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1038 on: May 02, 2013, 10:34:40 AM

I've put up with some shit just for four weeks of vacation.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1039 on: May 02, 2013, 10:43:58 AM

What's vacation?  I take a day off and I have 3x as much work when i come back. No way I'm taking a week much less 4.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1040 on: May 02, 2013, 11:19:03 AM

Why not - you're not the sole employee, right? Sounds like someone above you is shitty about managing workload.

Shit, my boss takes off the entirety of December. Every year since I've been here. And the sky did not fall. She also, generally, does not work late - she just sure as shit gets her stuff done while she's in the office.

AND takes a full hour for lunch.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1041 on: May 02, 2013, 11:19:20 AM

What's vacation?  I take a day off and I have 3x as much work when i come back. No way I'm taking a week much less 4.

Early grave recipe, dude. Take your vacation.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1042 on: May 02, 2013, 11:39:07 AM

You need a priority realignment.  What I found is that if you regularly do the work of two people, it will simply be expected of you and you'll kill yourself for ungrateful bastards.  If you decide to live-to-work instead, the other section of the workload will have to be distributed to someone else.  Hopefully a new hire so that everyone is just doing the work of one person.  I do know that, much like physics, this breaks down at small scales.  Also if you're the boss this doesn't work.  But the point is if you let them push you around, they will.  Because they are all shitbags.  Every one.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1043 on: May 02, 2013, 11:53:43 AM

I agree with those above. I've stuck with this shitty job for a decade because most of the time it doesn't stress me out too much. Good boss above me, good benefits, rare demand for overtime, and a position that's reasonably fulfilling and respected. Not worth the risk to wind up somewhere shitty for an extra 5 - 10k. Mind you, I'm in the position I am in because of seniority, and knowledge of the company's products and systems. I probably couldn't get a matching job anywhere else.

Probably time to look at those company education benefits again...

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1044 on: May 02, 2013, 12:45:46 PM

You guys have to remember that Merusk works in a business that is entirely different than the IT related fields most of us do. I used to work in a similar industry, with customer deadlines that are rarely created with enough slack time to allow people time off. It is feast or famine and you can't afford the delays/pileups from taking week+ blocks of time off during the feasts, and during the famines you are either out of work or scrambling trying to generate new business.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1045 on: May 02, 2013, 01:07:18 PM

I honestly don't know why some of you picked IT as a job, the way you describe it. Most of it sounds awful.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1046 on: May 02, 2013, 01:36:34 PM

That's how we all feel about accounting, I'm sure.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1047 on: May 02, 2013, 01:49:11 PM

That's how we all feel about accounting, I'm sure.

I mean that it doesn't even sound like many like what they are doing in IT. I like accounting just fine, and the sky is pretty much the limit with my ability to switch industries on the fly.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1048 on: May 02, 2013, 02:27:04 PM

I like my career, I just refer to it as shitty because its generally a low paying industry.

Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1049 on: May 02, 2013, 02:28:33 PM

I think IT people have the tendency to complain a bunch as a group(me included). Personally? I love what I do and I enjoy the people I work with. The stuff I gripe about is pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things. Although I make as much as anybody in the company except a couple of the execs and some of the engineers. I am more a sysadmin than a typical IT grunt though....

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: