Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:37:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992881 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #980 on: April 18, 2013, 07:20:07 AM

Yeah, but Oklahoma...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
schild
Administrator

Reply #981 on: April 18, 2013, 07:56:23 AM

schild: Will they let you know if you don't get the job(s), or do they only actually call you back if they want to offer you a position? In any case, hope things work out.
No one calls anyone back these days really.
This appears to be universal then - as it happens over here almost all the time.  Agencies (who have a duty of care to you) are particularly annoying in this regard...
Agencies are basically filled with unmarketable scum who only care about their bottom line.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #982 on: April 18, 2013, 08:23:51 AM

When I'm very old and completely broke, I'll go live in Romania.  You can last decades on a bag of penises.
ACK!
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #983 on: April 18, 2013, 11:06:56 AM

Yeah, but Oklahoma...

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain?
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #984 on: April 20, 2013, 10:07:13 AM

You know what's not fun? Helping a surviving family member repatriate a loved one to the U.S.

Especially when they were both decent people on a quest to see 100 countries in three years.

They saw 95.

undecided

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #985 on: April 24, 2013, 07:23:32 AM

Hey.  If you're going to present in a meeting, learn how to use the fucking tools first.  Sometimes this means Excel.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #986 on: April 24, 2013, 03:41:54 PM

Hey.  If you're going to present in a meeting, learn how to use the fucking tools first.  Sometimes this means Excel.

Were we in same meeting today?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #987 on: April 24, 2013, 05:13:23 PM

Just got a cold call from my old boss from one of the jobs I worked as a temp before landing a permanent job with the university asking if I would be interested in possibly being their IT manager today... ACK!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #988 on: April 24, 2013, 06:01:31 PM

I got one of those calls from my old boss 4 months after he laid me off!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #989 on: April 25, 2013, 06:38:39 AM

Just got a cold call from my old boss from one of the jobs I worked as a temp before landing a permanent job with the university asking if I would be interested in possibly being their IT manager today... ACK!

You mean awesome, for real, right?

I just accepted a position in the engineering organization.  Waiting on salary info, crossing fingers.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #990 on: April 25, 2013, 07:33:20 AM

Hmmmm, for the first time in my career my boss will be someone younger and with less experience than I have.   Should be interesting.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #991 on: April 25, 2013, 08:44:13 AM

So Joffrey... awesome, for real

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #992 on: April 25, 2013, 11:12:09 AM

Heh.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #993 on: April 25, 2013, 03:11:42 PM

Next interview is on monday.  God I hate these things.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #994 on: April 25, 2013, 03:45:20 PM

I see so much love for finding a "job."  Is anyone in here contemplating starting their own company?  Shit, I've about had it with the job marketplace at this point, even while going to school (which in this day and age is required unless you're already well off).  Come up with a cool idea and do it.  At this point, there's more opportunity in doing something new then trying to find mediocre work for some moneyhat.

Note: that's not a good thing.  There's just too much efficiency and competition in a low-wage jobspace to really get value from being a low-ladder employee.  Find your dream and follow it instead - shakedown some grant money and private equity funds if need be.

Note 2:  I cant decide if I'm sarcastic or not.  We'll see.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #995 on: April 25, 2013, 04:21:42 PM

You mean awesome, for real, right?

I just accepted a position in the engineering organization.  Waiting on salary info, crossing fingers.

Well, I don't know if anything will come of it yet, and I did just get a 13.5% raise after six months to stay where I am. It is a job I have thought about being something I would be interested in "a few years" when the guy who is now leaving would have hit retirement time (he is actually leaving the University after like 20 years).

It is just sort of weird to have someone you worked for as a temp secretary/receptionist for 3 months call you to ask if you are interested in a management position.

Time to polish up the resume.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #996 on: April 25, 2013, 04:35:28 PM

My manager has told me that I am going to be focusing solely on managing other people and keeping my systems alive and well, not actually designing cool new things anymore.  Apparently there is an excess of PhDs with nothing to do so they are giving them my fun work and I get to keep the "please come fix our broken crap" at 3AM stuff.  I'm now middle management, apparently because I can communicate and get along with all of the scientists, technicians, and engineers better than almost anyone else in the same job level.  I'm not sure if this sucks or if it is an opportunity to advance since totally design oriented people where I work don't go anywhere except down to their office to make things and sure don't ever get promoted.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #997 on: April 25, 2013, 05:15:42 PM

There's a big push for Project Managers (6sigma, blackbelt yada yada), Tech./Info. and Industrial Managers (especially) in STEM fields these days.  Apparently there's a lack of socially capable geek management.  Go figure.  What's the #1 regret those managers say though?  "I wish I had more practical knowledge."

I think the smartest way to approach it is from the practical angle, then go for a management certification later... whether you get hired as a manager or not.  Because if you get fired as a manager and don't have a cert., you're rightly fucked and will end up having to re-train while unemployed anyways.  And if you're a designer, the mgmt cert. will almost always net you more pay or a promotion.

If you're unemployed you can get certain mgmt. certs (and the courses it requires) essentially for free btw.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #998 on: April 25, 2013, 05:26:36 PM

Over the last few years, I've turned down offers from my old bank, two hedge funds and google. twice. I don't really regret not jumping ship, but I sometimes wonder what things would've been
like.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #999 on: April 25, 2013, 05:34:50 PM

Doing a design test for a studio in Andorra. This could be fun but Andorra is even more remote than the tiny village where I currently live. Other interviews ongoing at the moment are Annecy, Lyon, Shanghai and Berlin. Shanghai is definitely my last choice of location but the studio would be cool. Lyon or Annecy are my first choice of studio and Andorra is so far my favourite location. Hmmz.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1000 on: April 25, 2013, 05:50:01 PM

Dude, you have to live in Andorra. They have like 12 people, you could be national champion at anything you wanted.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1001 on: April 25, 2013, 07:09:21 PM

What Ingmar said.

But Lyon was awesome last time I was there.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1002 on: April 26, 2013, 07:41:50 AM

It is just sort of weird to have someone you worked for as a temp secretary/receptionist for 3 months call you to ask if you are interested in a management position.

I do agree, it smells like a trap.

I think middle management is when you have managers under you.  If you have individual contributors under you, you are a line manager.

Today is my 14th anniversary supporting The Coca-Cola Company.  I'm glad to be moving on.  I'll just have to wrap up some documentation, train up some new SMEs, and finish this config-checker redesign.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1003 on: April 26, 2013, 08:09:45 AM

Andorra sounds like a dream.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1004 on: April 26, 2013, 10:24:26 AM

Those are sound like developed-world places...

Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1005 on: April 26, 2013, 01:26:19 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.
You could probably even play EA and Ubisoft games there.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1006 on: April 26, 2013, 01:38:04 PM

Isn't that where Flash Gordon was set?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1007 on: April 26, 2013, 02:06:03 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.
Heh, from everything I hear, taking a pol/Econ position in one of the developed-world spots can be absolute hell (I haven't talked to a single person who liked working in Paris).  Careful what you wish for!

Having said that, Poland is really beautiful right now.  What with the warm weather and Eastern European girls penchant for wearing mini skirts and stilettos at every opportunity....   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1008 on: April 26, 2013, 03:32:28 PM

I do agree, it smells like a trap.

I know for a fact it isn't a trap. It is just is an odd feeling getting a call like that out of the blue.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1009 on: April 26, 2013, 09:24:34 PM

Isn't that where Flash Gordon was set?

Nah, Star Trek.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1010 on: May 01, 2013, 06:16:12 AM

This is me IRL right now dealing with my tickets:

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1011 on: May 01, 2013, 07:03:55 AM

It's only a small fire.

That's me dealing with upgrading decade old systems.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1012 on: May 01, 2013, 07:08:24 AM

Hmmmm, for the first time in my career my boss will be someone younger and with less experience than I have.   Should be interesting.

A friend of mine (that is 6 months older than I am) was just hired as the new Chancellor of Wash U.  I'm still an Associate Professor.  Now I feel like a slacker.

I've also noticed that nobody ever contacts me to tell me a position has been filled.  Hell, in 90% of cases I don't even know if a place got all of my application materials.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:14:28 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1013 on: May 01, 2013, 07:20:51 AM

Priorities.

You don't strike me as the type to enjoy the hobnobbing required to go the Chancellor route.  Or the shoot yourself in the head stupidity required to get full Professor in this day and age.  Seriously.  I saw that shit destroy some good people.  It's one thing I can say for sure I don't miss about academia.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1014 on: May 01, 2013, 08:10:51 AM

I've also noticed that nobody ever contacts me to tell me a position has been filled.  Hell, in 90% of cases I don't even know if a place got all of my application materials.

This appears to be SOP for HR professionals fucktards. They can all burn in hell.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: