Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:49:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992856 times)
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #805 on: November 01, 2012, 09:16:59 AM

When doing either JavaScript or C++, I can't stand doing
stuff(){
}

instead of

stuff()
{
}

:P

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #806 on: November 01, 2012, 09:28:04 AM

Even in these days of 30" monitors, I am protective of my precious vertical space.  Braces go on the same line as the opening if/while/switch and share the line with the else.  Function definitions are the exception (first open brace of a new function belongs in the first column after, as Xuri rightly points out).  Also, repeat after me, "return is not a function call" ... don't write "return (42);"... just don't.  Had a coworker who did that two jobs back.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #807 on: November 01, 2012, 09:41:52 AM

Usually braces get their own line for me, but that's likely an effect of my small indent.  It helps separate blocks of code visually.  Shorter bits of code are likely to get braces on the same line.

I'll admit to putting parenthesis after a return statement, but that's to isolate it in my mind, like the return statement is throwing that bit of info back to the statement that passed it down.  Maybe this is a symptom of learning programming with BASIC and the liberal use of GOTO?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #808 on: November 01, 2012, 10:16:13 AM

I think Quinton is onto something.  I value horizontal space much more than vertical.  Guess how I feel about braces?

Eight-space tabs are ludicrous.  I can see four or maybe five if you're blind, but eight is terrible.

I was working on learning C# for a while and I kept wondering where all the code was. Ohhhhh, I see.

awesome, for real is the jobs thread headed to politics over the great white space discussion?

Outlook is grim!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #809 on: November 01, 2012, 10:48:18 AM

After a number of years of Linux kernel development, I've adopted their "hard tabs, tabs are 8 spaces wide" model for C/C++/java code, which tends to drive just about everyone but kernel people nuts.
Yes, that's just wrong. Linus intentionally likes to make things difficult* though, cause he think it weeds out the riffraff (see: git's original UI).

I'm sure we can defuse this by all agreeing that GNU Indent Style (where the {}s go on their own lines, *halfway* between the indentation level of the outer and inner blocks) is where true madness lies.
Yeah that's goofy. I prefer the Whitesmiths style when writing in languages with curly brace block delimiters. I learned that from a programmer I learned a lot from at Adobe. Strangely enough Python indentation resembles that style.

Even in these days of 30" monitors, I am protective of my precious vertical space.  Braces go on the same line as the opening if/while/switch and share the line with the else.
People who smush everything together vertically are broken too awesome, for real To me vertical whitespace affects the readability of code, just like horizontal white space does.

At my current job we have thousands of line of Python with almost no vertical whitespace cause the original developer wanted to cram as many lines into his iPhone ssh screen for emergencies, which he almost never used. So we all get to suffer now cause the code was formatted for an edge case condition swamp poop

* to read in this case, not to implement since that is the Unix default
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #810 on: November 01, 2012, 10:58:49 AM

At my current job we have thousands of line of Python with almost no vertical whitespace cause the original developer wanted to cram as many lines into his iPhone ssh screen for emergencies, which he almost never used. So we all get to suffer now cause the code was formatted for an edge case condition swamp poop

Can we just pretend that he wrote it all on his iPhone while telecommuting from the golf course?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #811 on: November 01, 2012, 11:50:18 AM

I might start using Whitesmiths.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #812 on: November 01, 2012, 05:03:43 PM

Prof in my JavaScript class last quarter was adamant on style for braces up, and the cockbag actually marked off points for separating the code out into chunks.  By God don't go past the 80th column, or that's 10% off your grade.  What a twat.

stuff(){
}

stuff()
{
}

:P
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #813 on: November 01, 2012, 05:21:28 PM

One True Brace Style 4 LIF  Heart

Tabs being important still irks me about Python.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #814 on: November 01, 2012, 07:16:34 PM

Eight-space tabs are ludicrous.  I can see four or maybe five if you're blind, but eight is terrible.

Linux kernel style also mandates <80 character lines.  The argument Linus makes is "if your code is indented too much, you should be breaking it into more manageable functions."  It is perhaps a little extreme.

If 1TBS was good enough for Jesus Christ, er, Kernighan and Ritchie...
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #815 on: November 01, 2012, 08:54:17 PM

To be fair though most style guides have an 80 characterish line limit.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #816 on: November 01, 2012, 09:04:33 PM

A lot of Java programmers I've worked with favor very long (120+ character) lines -- I think the extreme verbosity of the standard library classes encourages this (otherwise you end up folding almost every line).  I still hold to the old 80 column ways, but I realize I'm a relic, having actually learned to code on 80x25 character text consoles.  When the industry moves to proportional typefaces in editors I'll know it's time to go home. ^^
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #817 on: November 02, 2012, 12:16:04 AM

Even back then I preferred printing it out on some wide greenbar paper.  I don't enjoy extremely long lines of code but 80 is a bit short for my tastes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #818 on: November 02, 2012, 06:44:28 AM

I'm not a programmer but I set my OSX Terminal window to 80 characters out of habit. At least they put in a quick setting for black/green a few versions ago.

Then again, we were still using dozens of actual terminals (DEC) and an Apple II when I started here 12 years ago.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #819 on: November 02, 2012, 06:51:07 AM

I'd go mad trying to write code on a hard terminal.  Syntax highlighting is incredibly useful.  In fact that is exactly what keeps me using Vim 6.4 on AIX; I can't seem to get Vim 7 to do colors on any AIX terminal type.  I'd really like the brace-highlighting feature of it, too.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #820 on: November 02, 2012, 07:32:08 AM

Those people who like 80 character lines are the same sons of bitches that like to name variables and even functions using single characters.  Monitors are bigger nowadays, we don't have to do that.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #821 on: November 02, 2012, 07:56:57 AM

Those people who like 80 character lines are the same sons of bitches that like to name variables and even functions using single characters.  Monitors are bigger nowadays, we don't have to do that.

I have certainly completed the migration to long ass variable and column names.  I remember reading some blog about how the writer always names his database columns databasename_tablename_columnname and thinking this old coot is off his rocker, after typing alias for the 10000th time I have since adopted a naming convention where I prefix column names with the table name.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #822 on: November 02, 2012, 02:22:28 PM

So f'd up website people called and offered me the position, not 100% certain I will accept but it looks like goodbye LAMP and hello iis/c#/asp.net.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #823 on: November 02, 2012, 02:24:47 PM

and hello iis/c#/asp.net.
I'm so sorry.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #824 on: November 02, 2012, 02:27:49 PM

and hello iis/c#/asp.net.
I'm so sorry.

Well from a career standpoint asp.net dev's make more by 20-30%.  Not sure how that will pan out as I personally think Microsoft is on a long downward slope.  Of course being in government that means we would be the very last people on the planet to make any sort of switch.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #825 on: November 21, 2012, 07:19:54 AM

So out of all my restlessness in my current position came a promotion.  20% increase and a Senior title.  Woo!

Wish I could've had the transcripts of the talk though.  Haven't heard people cut through corporate bullshit like that in a long time.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #826 on: November 21, 2012, 05:40:23 PM

Congrats, sometimes there is a good reason to let people know if you are bored. If they don't want to lose you, they might just do something to keep you around ..

- Viin
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #827 on: December 18, 2012, 06:15:24 PM

Accepted an offer for a new job - wow is it weird telling people I won't be around in a few weeks. This one came pretty much out of the blue, so I hadn't mentally prepared for a transition at all. Still hasn't hit me. (Worried I will habitually drive to my old office sometime during the first week at the new place!)

- Viin
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #828 on: December 18, 2012, 06:21:10 PM

I have certainly completed the migration to long ass variable and column names.  I remember reading some blog about how the writer always names his database columns databasename_tablename_columnname and thinking this old coot is off his rocker, after typing alias for the 10000th time I have since adopted a naming convention where I prefix column names with the table name.

I always use an easily recognizable acronym to denote the table in the column names, but yeah.  The fuckers that piss me off are the ones that name tables/columns with fucking spaces instead of underscores, forcing me to bracket EVERY GODDAMNED THING.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #829 on: December 18, 2012, 06:36:32 PM

Accepted an offer for a new job - wow is it weird telling people I won't be around in a few weeks. This one came pretty much out of the blue, so I hadn't mentally prepared for a transition at all. Still hasn't hit me. (Worried I will habitually drive to my old office sometime during the first week at the new place!)

Congratulations.

I am finishing up my part time job at the local library next Friday as they are hiring a full time person to replace both me and the other part-time person who left in October. It is going to be super weird not having to go to work after work every night  ACK!

No more Sky Jr. for me.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #830 on: December 18, 2012, 07:59:07 PM

Interesting, you must live in a relatively prosperous or educated area. Bumping up to a full timer costs a lot of dough in health care and retirement. We've trying to split into part-timers, and even those we're trying to shed now.

And I went in for a raise :) Fuck it, I worked my ass off and made everyone's life a hell of a lot better across the board. If not now, when? Next move is my 'time is money' card; if there's no money, I'll start working my way down to bare minimum hours for the same pay. Five years is stretching it with no raise and decent job prospects in better areas, something's got to give.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #831 on: December 18, 2012, 08:22:06 PM

The other part-time guy was getting benefits at 20hours a week, I am just under the benefit line at 19hours a week (standard week is 38).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

Reply #832 on: January 17, 2013, 11:10:11 PM

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/17/funcom-restructures-montreal-branch-keeps-games-operational/

So... anyone know of any game development related positions available near Norway? ;P

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #833 on: January 18, 2013, 07:03:18 AM

Shit man.  Sorry. Sad Red Panda

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #834 on: January 18, 2013, 07:12:02 AM

Sorry, Xuri.  Good luck though.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #835 on: January 18, 2013, 07:22:56 AM

Ouch Xuri.  Hope you land on your feet.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Xuri
Terracotta Army

Reply #836 on: January 18, 2013, 07:29:29 AM

I've been firmly grounded since I started there (to the point where I nearly didn't get hired originally because I wasn't seen as "enthusiastic enough"), so landing on my feet shouldn't be too hard, but thanks! Maybe I'll stop working altogether and instead dedicate the rest of my life to becoming the worlds greatest Deltaforce 1 player!

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
TheDreamr
Terracotta Army

Reply #837 on: February 01, 2013, 03:23:31 AM

Been at my current job for 6 years, list of reasons to leave are long and the only justification I have for staying is "well it's stable".  Problem is I've no idea where I got from here in terms of career progression - will be asking the same Q to a friendly recruiter, but second opinions never hurt either!

I'm UK based, approaching mid 30's and have been filling the senior dev / system admin role for 3-4 years in a small company, windows, iis, SQL etc.  Been in IT for 10+ years, have very limited experience with managing people and/or pm'ing

Think I still enjoy getting my hands dirty with web/sw development, but as a generalist not sure if it's a sensible & stable employment path to look at for the future.

edit button addict.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #838 on: February 01, 2013, 06:36:13 AM

Think I still enjoy getting my hands dirty with web/sw development, but as a generalist not sure if it's a sensible & stable employment path to look at for the future.

Stay away from freelance mom and pop brochure sites and web app development is a great career path.  I switched from sysadmin w/15 years exp -> junior web dev gov't code monkey 6 years ago (took a 20% paycut) and although I just recently started to exceed my pay as a sysadmin the future looks bright.  Distancing oneself as far from desktop support as possible while still staying within IT is a good thing.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #839 on: February 01, 2013, 07:21:51 AM

I agree.  Your career path may not be completely clear, but you can't go wrong with moving away from end-users.  If you are dead inside, you might look to work for larger corporations.  If you still have a murmur of a soul, mid-sized may be best.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: