Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:05:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992871 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #735 on: October 02, 2012, 06:07:11 PM

That's a very good problem to have.  Congrats.!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #736 on: October 03, 2012, 07:14:58 AM

Just got word of a library with 45k service area (vs our 35k) and 5M budget (vs our 1.2M and dwindling). Workload would double to triple and the pay is about the same, but it would be in a MUCH better area and give stability. Dammit.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #737 on: October 03, 2012, 11:06:19 AM

Just got word of a library with 45k service area (vs our 35k) and 5M budget (vs our 1.2M and dwindling). Workload would double to triple and the pay is about the same, but it would be in a MUCH better area and give stability. Dammit.

Is it within a short drive?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #738 on: October 03, 2012, 01:10:40 PM

A couple hours. I'd rent my house and buy another one there if I go for it.

So tempting, but just got word that our budget is ok this year, so it makes it difficult to jump ship after putting in so much work to bail out this one. And there's the whole triple workload for the same pay thing. But in a MUCH nicer area. Yes, that's twice I've accented much. But then, that also means much higher cost of living....

I guess these are good problems to have, at this point. We're going to have a long weekend, so we're driving out for some recon early next week.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #739 on: October 03, 2012, 01:14:13 PM

How would a move affect the fiancée though?  If it works for her or would be an improvement for her as well, it's worth serious consideration.  If nothing else, maybe it'll give you a commute that won't make the rest of us non-home workers want to hurt you very, very badly.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Minvaren - congrats on being in such a "bad" position! 

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #740 on: October 03, 2012, 01:43:08 PM

She'd have to find a new job (and she earns more than either position). It would be a pretty major thing, since she still lives in the house she grew up in (the secret sauce of our relationship - different houses). Or she could come out for the weekends for a while.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #741 on: October 03, 2012, 02:02:31 PM

Any opinions from the peanut gallery as to which sort of scripting I should teach myself? It's a pretty major gap in my IT skill set and things are pretty grim around the office these days.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #742 on: October 03, 2012, 02:17:42 PM

Windows or Unix (inc. Mac OS X)?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #743 on: October 03, 2012, 02:24:04 PM

Windows for now but I also need to expand over to the other side based on every job listing in the world.

Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #744 on: October 03, 2012, 03:40:49 PM

Powershell on the Windows side, perl and bash on the Linux side is a lot of what I'm seeing out here.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #745 on: October 03, 2012, 03:55:07 PM

Windows for now but I also need to expand over to the other side based on every job listing in the world.
On Windows if you think you'll have to support legacy stuff you'll want to learn VBscript. PowerShell is what's popular now so you'll want to learn that too as Minvaren mentioned. You can check out the MS scripting forum to get a sense for what people are using these days:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/threads

On Unix you'll want to learn Bash for shell scripting. If you have to support legacy stuff that'll likely be in Perl (or Bash), but Perl's falling out of favor as the Unix "glue" language of choice. Python and/or Ruby are much more likely to be used for newer stuff.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #746 on: October 03, 2012, 04:09:36 PM

Cool, thanks for the input.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #747 on: October 03, 2012, 05:12:27 PM

I like perl a great deal, but honestly I haven't had any hurdles that ksh and awk could not leap so I'd suggest start with powershell on Win and the native shell on your next UNIX job (this will be bash for linux).  You'll also use sh daily on the command line and in system files. Plus when you grok it, you'll start writing code chunks on the command line instead of simple commands.  This will make your life much easier, and it will impress people that don't know how to do such things.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #748 on: October 03, 2012, 07:56:38 PM

That's one thing I miss as OSX has gotten more mature. Early on I was getting a TON of bash experience. Now I hardly use it and my skills are wicked atrophied.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #749 on: October 04, 2012, 10:04:59 AM

Cool, thanks for the input.

A meta skill to focus on that will help in all the above situations is regular expression parsing, though I am sure that would become apparent as you progress. 

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #750 on: October 05, 2012, 12:31:19 PM

Looks like I start my new job Tuesday.   awesome, for real

Thanks to all for the well-wishes.  I haven't been out of work this long since before I started college, and was a bit surprised how slowly some places move these days.  As Lantyssa has said a few times, I seem to move at a different pace than most...

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #751 on: October 05, 2012, 12:52:32 PM

Congratulations, sir!

Does the new job include being able to save Lantyssa from the mess you got her into? tongue

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #752 on: October 05, 2012, 01:19:42 PM

I've attempted to open the cage door a couple of times, but all she does is headbutt me when I do.   Sad Red Panda

Though from what I hear, they're treating her far better than they ever did me, so that's some consolation.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #753 on: October 05, 2012, 01:31:39 PM

Congrats, Minvaren!

The husband sent his resume to a friend so it could be handed on to friend's sister who works at another bank.  He got a message the next day from other bank's HR saying they got it and someone would be calling to talk to him.  Now he's already got a phone screen and in-person interview set up with other bank.  No clue what kind of position they are looking for at this point in time, but whoosh!  That was fast on their part.  And he doesn't want to jump at the first thing that comes his way since he just sent out the resume back on Monday to the recruiters he's working with.

So we get to go suit shopping for him tonight/this weekend because even if this interview is just for practice, he's going to need a new suit considering all the weight loss he's had this year.

Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #754 on: October 05, 2012, 02:27:11 PM

Congrats on the new suit and new options for your husband, Rhyssa!

schild
Administrator

Reply #755 on: October 09, 2012, 12:49:39 PM

Startup I'm in is... let's say having trouble. While I'll have more than 6 months of director under my belt, I have the wherewithal to look at other things before it falls apart - should that actually happen. In other words, my life has been a giant pain in the ass for the last 2 weeks. It's also why I haven't dived into posts to grief title people. I hate this shit. Not the grief-titling, but rather, mismanagement.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #756 on: October 09, 2012, 12:57:56 PM

Get the resumes pumping....... ACK!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #757 on: October 09, 2012, 02:13:33 PM

Startup I'm in is... let's say having trouble. While I'll have more than 6 months of director under my belt, I have the wherewithal to look at other things before it falls apart - should that actually happen. In other words, my life has been a giant pain in the ass for the last 2 weeks. It's also why I haven't dived into posts to grief title people. I hate this shit. Not the grief-titling, but rather, mismanagement.

Why does everything come down to tits and ass with you people?  Anyway, gratz to the newly employed people and hope you stay one of them! 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #758 on: October 10, 2012, 01:58:45 PM

Had another job interview yesterday. Was not properly prepared for it. Oops.

Two months after my application for another they are still yet to finish short listing (government body). Yay.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #759 on: October 11, 2012, 07:26:03 AM

Why does everything come down to tits and ass with you people?

I would not need to aggressively manage a career if I didn't have tits and ass to support.  I expect many men would be very happy without spending lots of money on BLANK.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #760 on: October 11, 2012, 12:55:52 PM

So I'm looking at positions for my next posting...

It is becoming increasingly likely that I'll be back in the western hemisphere in 2014...and quite possibly in Mexico near the border.

I must be a masochist.  swamp poop

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #761 on: October 11, 2012, 02:33:55 PM

Let me know so I can put in an order.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #762 on: October 12, 2012, 01:03:28 AM

Me too.  Actually, it would be better for me if you were posted in Canada.  Better for you, too, probably.  At least safer.  Be careful.  I do not want to know anyone who has had their head chopped off by angry drug cartels.  Can't you just stay put already?!   ACK!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #763 on: October 12, 2012, 07:25:57 PM

Congrats to those that are getting job offers, I bet it feels great to be wanted!

Maybe the F13 collective can help me with a decision: I'm about to wrap up my undergrad degree (frickin finally) and considering going to graduate school. My undergrad is a BS in Computer Info Systems, and I can go straight into an MS for CIS (no GRE/GMAT requirement).

Alternatively, I've considered taking the GMAT and either applying for a MA in Economics program or an MBA program.

On the one hand, the MS CIS is tempting as I enjoy that stuff and it'd be real easy to get into. On the other hand, my career is taking me away from the technical side of the house and further into the business side - and I like where it is going, for the most part. MBAs are a dime a dozen and most of them suck, not sure I want to be associated with that crowd. Alternatively, I really enjoy (applied) economics and so the MA program looks very interesting. Have to take the stupid GMAT though..

Those of you in higher up business positions, how much would a Masters sway a hiring or promotion (beyond middle management) decision? Any?

- Viin
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #764 on: October 12, 2012, 07:35:45 PM

Personally I don't give a shit as long as you can get the job done, work well in a team, don't shit up the servers, etc.  What are you going to do with all that education?

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #765 on: October 12, 2012, 07:47:22 PM

Be your boss ;)

When hiring for my position, most companies routinely ask for MBA graduates. (Though part of that is because there are so goddamn many).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 07:49:16 PM by Viin »

- Viin
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #766 on: October 12, 2012, 08:05:30 PM

If you work/plan on working in the private sector, the MBA is probably more valuable from a hiring/resume standpoint.

If you work/plan on working in Academia, the other options are probably at least as valuable.

At least, that is what I have observed from the outside, not sure what I am going to go back to school to get, Masters wise yet myself as it won't be until next fall at the earliest.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #767 on: October 12, 2012, 08:36:26 PM

If you work/plan on working in the private sector, the MBA is probably more valuable from a hiring/resume standpoint.

If you work/plan on working in Academia, the other options are probably at least as valuable.

At least, that is what I have observed from the outside, not sure what I am going to go back to school to get, Masters wise yet myself as it won't be until next fall at the earliest.

I don't plan on doing Academia, at least not anytime soon. The MA in Economics is only interesting because it is Applied Economics (from a Business school) rather than Theoretical Economics. If I wanted to go Academia I would probably have to suffer through a PhD in Theoretical Economics. Too much calculus for me!

- Viin
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #768 on: October 12, 2012, 09:25:39 PM

I am also looking at this from the outside but my belief is that there is a baseline of business education after which people are looking at experience and track record.  Nothing to back up that, though, beyond knowing several knuckleheads.  Then there are the people who work their way up via politics and the buddy system, I see quite a bit of that.  So, technical degree or MBA?  I would probably go with the CIS option myself, but will this get you hired into a directorship?  Maybe at a large computer corp like IBM, there are likely places where tech types are desired for management and directorship.  For general purposes I agree with Chimpy that the MBA will probably get you more options.

I always say do what you like.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #769 on: October 13, 2012, 04:41:25 AM

I have a second interview in a couple of days. Turns out feeling like you shitted up the first interview is not always bad.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: