Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:19:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 993065 times)
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #630 on: August 22, 2012, 07:00:48 AM

I was looking more for folks who like their current employer.  www.higheredjobs.com is good too.

I'm just having a really bad week at work, and I think it's spilling over.

Interesting Apple posting.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #631 on: August 22, 2012, 08:21:57 AM

There was an instructional designer type job recently at Illinois. Jobs.illinois.edu then select "academic job board" (they broke the direct link to the site somehow a couple weeks ago)

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #632 on: August 22, 2012, 10:39:40 AM

There was an instructional designer type job recently at Illinois. Jobs.illinois.edu then select "academic job board" (they broke the direct link to the site somehow a couple weeks ago)

I think its fixed?   https://jobs.illinois.edu/academic-job-board
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #633 on: August 22, 2012, 12:03:36 PM

Oh cool they did. Must have fixed it this weekend, it wasn't working on Friday evening.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #634 on: August 22, 2012, 01:00:56 PM

Can anyone describe, in non-marketing or buzzword terms, what ITIL actually means?

Half the tech jobs nowadays require X years with it, and even though I've read the Wikipedia article on it several times, I still don't get it.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #635 on: August 22, 2012, 01:35:33 PM

Like any of those things, it looks like it is a framework for documenting the IT capabilities and processes the IT department adheres to. (Plus asks questions like, what is your process for validating your data backup strategy? How often is this executed? etc)

- Viin
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #636 on: August 22, 2012, 01:45:02 PM

Yeah my (very vague) understanding of it is that its basically the UK version of the controls we do for SOX audits.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #637 on: August 22, 2012, 02:02:49 PM

So if I have experience with implementing and meeting ISO 27001, PCI/DSS, SOX, GLB, and similar requirements... ITIL is just another version of that?

Well heck, why didn't they just SAY so?   swamp poop

(goes off to add another buzzword to his resume)

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #638 on: August 22, 2012, 08:51:06 PM

ITIL looks like it might be a British thing? Is it a British company?

- Viin
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #639 on: August 22, 2012, 10:47:45 PM

It's a series of buzzwords and concepts wrapped around basic IT management concepts, but repackaged and resold to the same morons that bought into six sigma and the like.  It's not a certification process like the ISO's, it's middle management bullshit.  I was forced to take a basic class in it about a year ago, and it just confirmed that it was an utter waste of time.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #640 on: August 23, 2012, 04:03:02 AM

I'm an instructional designer with five years experience and an M.Ed. (currently working on a PhD.) and would love to get the hell out of the podunk central Florida town I currently work in.  We value timeliness over quality, and it's so much  swamp poop at once that I'm dying to get out.

Anyone have training departments or something hiring for not terrible pay?  I love being on f13 all day, but I want to...you know, work and stuff too.

I'd suggest fishing around on jobs.google.com and see if you find anything interesting.  We have a department that deals with internal training (Google EngEDU) and groups that deal with training and courseware and such that's external-facing as well.  I found a couple reqs that may be of interest, but I don't know a lot about this specific area:
http://www.google.com/about/jobs/locations/seattle-kirkland/engineering/ux/instructional-designer-seattle-kirkland.html (also in Mountain View and New York)
http://www.google.com/about/jobs/locations/mountain-view/ops-support/program/technical-training-and-certification-program-manager-cloud-platform-mountain-view.html
http://www.google.com/about/jobs/locations/mountain-view/prodcs/technical-courseware-developer-publisher-and-distribution-solutions-mountain-view.html

I'm happy to feed a resume into the referral system if you want (should be no worse odds than if you just push the apply button) -- feel free to drop me a PM. 

Also, if anybody has background in embedded systems or OS (Linux especially, Android a plus) engineering, and is interested in that sort of work, the core Android team and Android@Home are always hiring and I'm always happy to pass resumes along for Android related roles.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #641 on: August 23, 2012, 04:15:14 AM

I have an interview tomorrow and I had forgotten how unreasonably nervous I get about them.

Anyone else just HATE them ?  Christ, I used to interview by the bucketload while I was in charge.  You'd think I'd have better defenses than this.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #642 on: August 23, 2012, 05:31:23 AM

Interviews are terrible. In academia, they're especially exhausting for permanent or tenure-track positions. You usually have to fly to a professional association meeting on your own dime to go through "screening interviews", about 12 to 14 candidates who are being winnowed down to 3 or 4. If you're invited on-campus for the next stage, you give a lecture, you get grilled over two days by tons and tons of faculty one-on-one and in groups, you meet with students, you meet with a provost or dean, you go to dinner and have to constantly remember that everybody's watching you and trying to find out if you're ok by whatever weird personal standards of ok they each have. And then you often wait a month or two to hear anything at all. If you don't get anything, it's often April and you're essentially fucked for the entirety of the coming year unless you had some kind of back-up gig, because hiring is almost entirely seasonal. If you go through this more than four times over four years, not only are you out of money unless you married rich or were born rich, a lot of employers stop looking at you because there must be something wrong if you've been on the market that long. In a lot of fields, there are no more than 5-8 desirable positions in that field in a given year, and you have no control over where they might be. If it's East Bumfuck University in North Nowhere, then you send off your resume and hope, because you really don't get to be picky. The stress of the interview process is intense and you have to be very careful to never, ever let it show during the interview--that's exactly what might let someone say, "Oh, well, he was kind of nervous and a bit irritable, I don't think he can handle teaching here."
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #643 on: August 23, 2012, 05:38:27 AM

Interviews are terrible. In academia...
Interviewing for my current position was like that, just because it was working for a university.  Stressful and very time consuming.  I must have impressed though because I have a job!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #644 on: August 23, 2012, 05:42:33 AM

Yeah, we do it for a lot of staff positions too.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #645 on: August 23, 2012, 06:31:34 AM

I've only done the full multi-person interview thing twice, back in 1998 when I interviewed with Be and had a full day of 7 interviews (including one during lunch), which sounded really intimidating but wasn't all that bad (though it was a long day), and then in 2005 when Google acquired Android and I was interviewed by 4 people there -- we had heard a lot of rumors about the Google interview process being pretty brutal (a reputation that still exists), but again it wasn't too bad.

I think I may actually like interviewing people less than being interviewed, in a way.  Trying to assess if someone is technically competent and is a good fit for the team in 45 minutes is not easy, in my experience, mostly because while there are certain things that can be clear red flags, getting a clear "yes this is somebody who will definitely do great" is a lot harder.   Candidates that just completely crash and burn or are absolutely amazing are the easiest to confidently evaluate, but I've found that they're the rare ones, especially the latter.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #646 on: August 23, 2012, 06:47:25 AM

Anyone else just HATE them ?  Christ, I used to interview by the bucketload while I was in charge.  You'd think I'd have better defenses than this.
I can't stand them, and the two sets of two I had were basically confirmations that I would fit in.  (A tiny amount of competition for the second, but still a matter of "do we choose A or B?")

I'm a nervous wreck until it's over and done with.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #647 on: August 23, 2012, 08:10:04 AM

Somehow, I just can't imagine you being nervous about something like this, IW.  You always seem so confident.  Me, I don't like interviews either.  Mostly I forget to turn up and when I do turn up, I usually forget what the job is about.  I'll be looking again soon, though.  Of course, there won't be much to be nervous about since I'll be looking at places that are tattoo and piercing friendly as I seem to be going a bit obsessively overboard in that direction.  Must be compensating for something lacking, I guess.  Vitamin D, maybe?
You'll do great, I'm sure.  Who could resist your girlish good looks and feminine wiles.  Or something.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #648 on: August 23, 2012, 08:19:21 AM

Interviews are terrible. In academia, they're especially exhausting for permanent or tenure-track positions. You usually have to fly to a professional association meeting on your own dime to go through "screening interviews", about 12 to 14 candidates who are being winnowed down to 3 or 4. If you're invited on-campus for the next stage, you give a lecture, you get grilled over two days by tons and tons of faculty one-on-one and in groups, you meet with students, you meet with a provost or dean, you go to dinner and have to constantly remember that everybody's watching you and trying to find out if you're ok by whatever weird personal standards of ok they each have. And then you often wait a month or two to hear anything at all. If you don't get anything, it's often April and you're essentially fucked for the entirety of the coming year unless you had some kind of back-up gig, because hiring is almost entirely seasonal. If you go through this more than four times over four years, not only are you out of money unless you married rich or were born rich, a lot of employers stop looking at you because there must be something wrong if you've been on the market that long. In a lot of fields, there are no more than 5-8 desirable positions in that field in a given year, and you have no control over where they might be. If it's East Bumfuck University in North Nowhere, then you send off your resume and hope, because you really don't get to be picky. The stress of the interview process is intense and you have to be very careful to never, ever let it show during the interview--that's exactly what might let someone say, "Oh, well, he was kind of nervous and a bit irritable, I don't think he can handle teaching here."

This was a huge factor in my decision to not complete my Ph.D. - not the only factor, but it was a big one.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #649 on: August 23, 2012, 08:22:55 AM

PhD track education has gotten a lot of negative press lately.  Maybe it will start culling out the ranks a bit as people look for other opportunities.  In many ways, a PhD is a useless degree for most of the people that would consider it. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #650 on: August 23, 2012, 08:25:42 AM

PhD track education has gotten a lot of negative press lately.  Maybe it will start culling out the ranks a bit as people look for other opportunities.  In many ways, a PhD is a useless degree for most of the people that would consider it. 

The reason being that many PhD's are a joke to obtain.  Pay your $$$ and put in your time and you get a PhD.  I tell my advisees that you should only consider a PhD degree if a) your employer will guarantee you some benefit for obtaining it or b) you obtain the degree from a top 10 school in that field. 

The PhD job market in most fields is abysmal and the pay at the PhD level isn't well correlated to the time investment required to obtain the terminal degree. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #651 on: August 23, 2012, 08:32:05 AM

The thing is, a tenure-track job (if you get tenure) is still a very good job in the current marketplace, despite all the considerable downsides. It's just that it's the ultimate in tournament-economies: the chances of getting such a job are going down steadily every year, and getting such a job requires a considerable amount of luck--no matter how good you are in your field as a newly-minted Ph.D, getting a TT job requires luck. I've seen searches where a department deadlocks over the candidates because the two best candidates are favored by opposing factions within the department, so they settle on a third compromise candidate that everyone agrees is not as good as the other two. Or sometimes it's between two or three great people and therefore the selection comes down to something very nearly random that none of the candidates could possibly have known about or done differently.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #652 on: August 23, 2012, 08:34:55 AM

Be aware that many Universities are trying to get away from the tenure model as well.  I imagine that we'll see more faculty positions be on 3 or 5 year renewable contracts in the future.  It's a nice way to have post-tenure review without the legal problems of firing someone with tenure.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #653 on: August 23, 2012, 08:37:23 AM

Though Nebu is also right that the pay isn't that great relative to the time investment. A lot of fields can take seven or eight years *on average* to completion, and in the humanities, that means you don't even have a predoc/postdoc placement in a lab to work with, just maybe a teaching stipend in your fifth or sixth year. If you start teaching adjunct classes elsewhere when you're an ABD (all-but-dissertation) that will almost certainly stretch out time to completion even further. The number of tenure-track positions that pay off a solid return-on-investment for that time and effort are very few and the competition for them is fierce. It's not uncommon for elite colleges and universities to get 200-400 applications for an open tenure-track position, of which maybe 25% are well-qualified candidates who need to be taken seriously. And in many fields, a position like that literally opens once in a generation--whoever gets it might well hold it for thirty to forty years.

However, there are non-salary compensations that are really important. In most fields and institutions, you have a lot of control over your own time--there's a lot of work but you can time-shift it and do it how and when works best for you.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #654 on: August 23, 2012, 08:40:30 AM

However, there are non-salary compensations that are really important. In most fields and institutions, you have a lot of control over your own time--there's a lot of work but you can time-shift it and do it how and when works best for you.

The personal and intellectual freedom does help offset the pay.  I also have the ability to augment my salary by as much as 30% by paying myself for the 3 months of summer (off of grants) and various consulting gigs.  Then there's the travel for meetings and sabbaticals every 7 years.  Yum!

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #655 on: August 23, 2012, 08:45:36 AM

Seven or 8 years to obtain a PhD is really fairly ludicrous unless you just really, really want to do it. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #656 on: August 23, 2012, 08:51:10 AM

Seven or 8 years to obtain a PhD is really fairly ludicrous unless you just really, really want to do it.  

It only takes that long if a) you don't work hard or b) your advisor is an asshole.  Both are avoidable.  

I got my PhD in a little over 3 years from a tough advisor (granted, I worked 80+ hour weeks and never took days off).  The time sink in the sciences is in getting stuck in the postdoc loop.  That can last a LONG fucking time.

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #657 on: August 23, 2012, 08:57:03 AM

Was that after your masters?  Because 3 years for a PhD would be atypical.  This article says that the average time for a PhD is 8.2 years and in the field of education it balloons up to 13 years.  That seems excessive for what you get out of it.  

Addendum-  I also wasn't aware of this fact: 

Most science programs allow students to submit three research papers rather than a single grand work.

I need to go and have a talk with the folks I did my masters degree with.  I think they owe me some different letters now.    Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:58:56 AM by ghost »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #658 on: August 23, 2012, 09:04:57 AM

Right. The average time is that long because:

a) your advisor is an asshole
b) you have to do work on the side to make ends meet
c) you start to have doubts about whether this is a good idea but can't bring yourself to just write it off to sunken costs, so you stall

Also some fields have serious time issues that are a bit intrinsic. Anthropology, for example, pretty much requires being resident at a fieldsite for a very considerable period of time if you want people to take your work seriously. Historians *have* to spend a pretty substantial time in archives--folks will know if you cut corners or didn't look at important evidence or material. Etc. The time to completion is a bit of a function of how competitive the job market it--this raises the standard for how strong your initial research needs to be, and encourages many candidates to keep doing more research, adding more material, etc.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #659 on: August 23, 2012, 09:34:51 AM

I have to admit that I, like Nebu, am in the health/biological sciences end of things so I really have no concept how PhD education works for the humanities/history/polysci, etc.  I do have a buddy that got a PhD in poly sci from the University of Indiana.  He now works as a statistics cruncher for the education department at a university up in Minnesota. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #660 on: August 23, 2012, 11:33:30 AM

I have an interview tomorrow and I had forgotten how unreasonably nervous I get about them.

Anyone else just HATE them ?  Christ, I used to interview by the bucketload while I was in charge.  You'd think I'd have better defenses than this.

The only thing I hate more is auditions. They're like interviews where you can't bullshit.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #661 on: August 23, 2012, 11:40:36 AM

I don't mind interviews. Though, the closest to a panel interview I've had was when the "team" I was joinng was able to ask me a couple questions and try and gauge personality and history a little bit, so I don't know how those really are when in true panel fashion. One on one I'm comfortable and confident as can be and usually just have multiple interviews by individuals.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #662 on: August 23, 2012, 11:46:00 AM

I would like to have a PhD and that endowed chair position listing at the Uni Chimpy linked, basically: do cool stuff with music. With tenure.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #663 on: August 23, 2012, 03:12:44 PM

I ha several star chamber, I mean panel, interviews when I was interviewing for residency.  They blow.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #664 on: August 23, 2012, 09:03:43 PM

If it starts to go off the rails, can't you just yell "Kneel before Zod!" ?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: