Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:36:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992955 times)
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: April 20, 2012, 04:43:20 AM

All depends on the connections.  I think the security checks could be more fun than anything :)

Heh, we get security briefings about going through Israel's security.  Let's just say that their government sometimes aggressively supports their private sector interests so make sure you don't have any crucial proprietary IP on your laptop...

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #526 on: April 20, 2012, 06:57:02 PM

And Paelos just got put on a watch list by Echelon for that quote/reply  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pffft, I'm already on several.  awesome, for real

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #527 on: April 24, 2012, 09:40:35 PM

Got an offer for a IT architect spot in Savannah, only problem is that it requires three certs I don't have.  Seems silly.  I'm not sure if I want to look into it.  I have become very heavily involved in my supposed career advancement at HP, including some help from my boss who put me in charge of another mess of a project.  Apparently I'm not nearly as idiotic as my wife tells.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: April 25, 2012, 04:20:25 AM

Or you are more of an idiot and thus are rising accordingly.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I have a phone interview tomorrow on my lunch break for what is probably the perfect job for me at the university: user support at the college of fine arts (my degree is actually from a unit in that college). Hopefully I won't fuck it up!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: April 25, 2012, 05:59:24 AM

Good luck, Chimpy!

And Yego, what can it hurt to look into the position more?  HP's not a bad place to work but right now I'm gun-shy about investing all my eggs into one basket after they laid me off.  I thought I was going to have a nice long career at HP as well.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #530 on: April 25, 2012, 06:27:24 AM

Chimpy, that sounds awesome. You'll get some fun toys, workstations underpowered for Photoshop and crappy ancient wacom tablets instead of touch screens! Or maybe I've worked in the library too long. I was kinda sad face flipping through a fantasy art book I got for inspiration (see miniatures thread for blah blah), 95% of the stuff in it is Photoshop. I'm such a luddite.

Yeg, 'It's who you know!' Or 'You're soaking in it.' Something like that. If you've got someone pulling you up the ladder, I'd stick with that unless he's some rogue moron who will take you down with him some day. Or the Savannah gig gives you big numbers and bennies and pays for training + cert fees, of course.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #531 on: April 25, 2012, 07:36:59 AM

Or you are more of an idiot and thus are rising accordingly.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I have considered this more than once.  The trouble is that I am still one of two that can fix certain things, and I'm constantly being consulted on things outside the all-consuming migration project.  I also listened to the lamentations of the admins who had to work this past maintenance weekend without me.  I'm still not sure if I would have been better off working or in the woods feeding ticks, but the boy enjoyed it so I made the right decision.

I don't want to look at the Savannah job because in the end I won't take it even if I pass the interview, but before that I will spend time and energy on it.  The big strikes are that it is contract and that I would have to relocate to Savannah.  Which is a nice place, but I can't move.  I also have yet to find a job that beats my current pay/benefit combination.  I can't go anywhere else and get twenty days of vacation, for example.

Also, the "pulling up the ladder" comment is very accurate and I'm not interested in squandering someone's goodwill and assistance.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: April 25, 2012, 08:42:54 AM

Chimpy, that sounds awesome. You'll get some fun toys, workstations underpowered for Photoshop and crappy ancient wacom tablets instead of touch screens! Or maybe I've worked in the library too long. I was kinda sad face flipping through a fantasy art book I got for inspiration (see miniatures thread for blah blah), 95% of the stuff in it is Photoshop. I'm such a luddite.

The art and design department has all recent generation iMacs (even their stations with Win7 are boot camped iMacs ) of course that is not the only part of the college but keeping up to date computers is not generally a problem on campus.

Got a call this morning about another IT job (this time in the facilities dept). I am going to have to call in from Ireland heh.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #533 on: April 26, 2012, 12:07:50 PM

Flight booked and hotel reserved.  Gone May 3-12th. 

All depends on the connections.  I think the security checks could be more fun than anything :)

Heh, we get security briefings about going through Israel's security.  Let's just say that their government sometimes aggressively supports their private sector interests so make sure you don't have any crucial proprietary IP on your laptop...

My laptop is already filled with Israeli IP.

-Rasix
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #534 on: April 26, 2012, 03:59:04 PM

Pictures of Bar Rafaeli don't count.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #535 on: June 20, 2012, 07:09:21 PM

Email subject:
"UNIX Administrator reqiored in Atlnata,GA"

Didn't even read the listing.  I'm not yet in the place where I will start taking on multiple temp shit jobs in an attempt to frankenstein together a reasonable income.  Despite the news reports.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #536 on: July 05, 2012, 10:39:32 AM

Work has become stale for me. Anyone know of someone hiring Business Analysts with HR Systems (PeopleSoft) experience?
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #537 on: July 05, 2012, 11:28:24 AM

People change jobs when they become stale?  I didn't know that was an option.  I've just let myself turn into a misanthropic, depressed sad sack who keeps working at the same place ten years after it went stale and is stuck in a rut too deep to climb out of.  It's easy and pays well so I don't have a right to complain or feel bad.  It is, never the less, hollowing me out.

Changing would have probably been a better idea.  I wish I were dead.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #538 on: July 05, 2012, 12:07:22 PM

People change jobs when they become stale?  I didn't know that was an option.  I've just let myself turn into a misanthropic, depressed sad sack who keeps working at the same place ten years after it went stale and is stuck in a rut too deep to climb out of.  It's easy and pays well so I don't have a right to complain or feel bad.  It is, never the less, hollowing me out.

Changing would have probably been a better idea.  I wish I were dead.

I'm heading in this direction in my current job. I would prefer a public sector job that turns my brain to mush over what I'm doing right now. It's so bad my last performance review last about 10 minutes with my old manager and new manager staring at me in awkward silence for 5 of those minutes waiting for me to tell them how the performance review should be done.

That was my breaking point.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #539 on: July 05, 2012, 12:48:13 PM

Good lord people, find something you enjoy. You'll add years to your life.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: July 05, 2012, 01:10:20 PM

People change jobs when they become stale?  I didn't know that was an option.  I've just let myself turn into a misanthropic, depressed sad sack who keeps working at the same place ten years after it went stale and is stuck in a rut too deep to climb out of.  It's easy and pays well so I don't have a right to complain or feel bad.  It is, never the less, hollowing me out.

Changing would have probably been a better idea.  I wish I were dead.

This sounds disturbingly familiar to me as well - the sheer volume of work replaced challenge or stimulation a long time ago.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: July 05, 2012, 01:17:56 PM

Reading through this thread, I feel really lucky to work for a small Hungarian company. Cool co-workers, understanding bosses, don't have to do overtime often, and I get to work on interesting ITsec research projects.

If anyone is interested, feel free to join us! As long as you're fine with making about $1k per month   why so serious?

Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: July 05, 2012, 02:40:26 PM

Thanks for everyone's posts in this thread today, I really needed it.  I've been in a funk from walking away from a (relatively) high-paying job 2 months ago with no precise plan for the future, simply because it was literally and figuratively killing me.  However, reading some of your posts and putting myself back where I was before I quit, I'm absolutely convinced I made the right choice.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #543 on: July 05, 2012, 02:58:35 PM

Work has become stale for me. Anyone know of someone hiring Business Analysts with HR Systems (PeopleSoft) experience?

We were recently.  Check verizon.com/careers

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #544 on: July 05, 2012, 07:15:52 PM

Thanks for everyone's posts in this thread today, I really needed it.  I've been in a funk from walking away from a (relatively) high-paying job 2 months ago with no precise plan for the future, simply because it was literally and figuratively killing me.  However, reading some of your posts and putting myself back where I was before I quit, I'm absolutely convinced I made the right choice.

I can't begin to convince myself it's worth it when it starts to take away your joy for life. The owner of my company tried to convince me I was too laid back and should have a healthy amount of stress in my life.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #545 on: July 05, 2012, 07:30:44 PM

I can't begin to convince myself it's worth it when it starts to take away your joy for life. The owner of my company tried to convince me I was too laid back and should have a healthy amount of stress in my life.

One of my old bosses once told me that she didn't believe I took enough pride in my work because I missed a "filing day" where we helped catch up on the filing. Bear in mind we had a filing girl at the company who was terrible. Also bear in mind that my regular work was doing the exact same 3 activities every month for 10 projects.

I just laughed at her, and gave her my two weeks notice in that meeting right there. I caddied and travelled for a year after that, just to get outdoors and realize the world wasn't made up of small minded people.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: July 05, 2012, 08:13:25 PM

My old job just sent out a notice that they are looking for engineers of the same specialty as me.  The same engineers that they had 7 of, but laid off 4 and the remaining 2 quit within a month of the layoffs.  I find it highly amusing, especially since engineers with my specialty are "a dime a dozen" the old VP told us...
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: July 06, 2012, 07:38:22 AM

...especially since engineers with my specialty are "a dime a dozen" the old VP told us...

Hah, I had a talk with HR at my old company and had the site manager in attendance as well (~2500 person fab & design center spread across a 6 building campus, so yeah, a big wig).  I had documented evidence that I was being underpaid (statistical evidence from dept of labor as well as two competitive offers from other companies) and wanted a raise to make me comparable.

The site manager said pretty much the same thing, which I knew was BS because we had spent the last 2 years with a rec open and had interviewed dozens of people.  There were plenty of people who could do the work but they wanted too much money (according to HR).  So I took one of the other jobs that were offered to me at a 50% pay increase and left.

Sometimes management can be VERY out of touch and the only way to wake them up is to leave and have them have to deal with schedule & milestone issues.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #548 on: July 06, 2012, 11:58:36 AM

I need one more mid level java developer in Austin.
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: July 08, 2012, 09:44:23 AM

Funny, I did the same thing.

What broke it for me was in January, when it was announced that raises would be held back for essentially all but the top 30% of staff, due to profitability.  I knew then I wasn't going to make it through the end of the year.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: July 11, 2012, 09:35:43 AM

Got an offer for an IT job here at the university today. Double my vacation a year and enough money that I could quit my job as Sky jr as well as my day job and make the same amount of money.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #551 on: July 11, 2012, 09:40:28 AM

Did you say two openings?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Congrats!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #552 on: July 11, 2012, 09:51:37 AM

Yay.  Congratulations, Chimp.
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #553 on: July 11, 2012, 09:54:27 AM

Got an offer for an IT job here at the university today. Double my vacation a year and enough money that I could quit my job as Sky jr as well as my day job and make the same amount of money.

Congrats Chimp!

Now hopefully its not helpdesk and more backroom type stuff  :).
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #554 on: July 11, 2012, 10:23:54 AM

Thumbs up!  Congrats, Chimpy!

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #555 on: July 11, 2012, 04:33:03 PM

Congrats!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: July 12, 2012, 08:07:16 AM

So, I got first world problems. Just got another offer from another department on campus. Pay is slightly more (though I can probably get the one yesterday to match that), job might have more flexibility.

First world problems are a pain lol.

schild
Administrator

Reply #557 on: July 12, 2012, 08:11:34 AM

I'm still looking for a java dev.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: July 12, 2012, 09:10:40 AM

So, I got first world problems. Just got another offer from another department on campus. Pay is slightly more (though I can probably get the one yesterday to match that), job might have more flexibility.

First world problems are a pain lol.

Pick the one that has the people you like the most, especially for a boss.

- Viin
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #559 on: July 12, 2012, 09:49:37 AM

^^ ding ding ding!

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: