Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:01:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992876 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #455 on: February 21, 2012, 06:20:54 PM

New for 2013: education insurance.  Contact your local AllState mafioso for details.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #456 on: February 21, 2012, 06:25:12 PM

Resurrecting just to say:

I got a permanent day job at the University.

This is wonderful, congrats!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: March 06, 2012, 02:02:15 PM

Hey peoples,

The place I've been at for a few months is looking for someone to basically talk to schools and help them use our product.  CL posting Here.

Fairly frenetic, multitasking ability helpful.

It's a work from home type thing too, so that might work well for someone.

Why don't you try our other games?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #458 on: March 23, 2014, 07:46:19 PM

This seemed like as fine a fine place as any to post this.  I was, about a month ago, offered an opportunity to lead the largest project on the account.  Moving two datacenters' worth of machinery to two other datacenters.  Why would I accept something like this, the guy who wants to stay technical?  It seemed like a great way to not be a system admin when I am fifty-five.  So now I'm a lead of (right now) five contractors.  The thing about doing this that bothers me most isn't having to tell people what to do, calling them to find out if they are going to dial into a checkpoint meeting, or finding out during a maintenance how much they do or do not know... it's that I don't know everything that is going on.  Apparently I'm something of a controller!

I also think I must be a tad deranged since I find I enjoy leadership at times, even when people are yelling at each other.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #459 on: March 23, 2014, 07:52:06 PM

Sounds like fun and a good opportunity to grow a bit. Worker bees have to put in some effort to trust people to do their jobs, I know I still do sometimes (especially if I think I can do it better and faster than the person tasked with the job). But, the best managers I've worked for always let me do my thing and only help/offer advice if asked or I obviously needed some light coaching (say, when dealing with a very irritating co-worker who pushed my buttons 1000 times too many). So I try to model after them.

- Viin
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #460 on: March 23, 2014, 08:04:46 PM

I'm trying to do that, unfortunately:
1. I could do these things faster and better, which is irritating after hiring "senior admins".
2. These guys have to jump out of the nest, no time for feel-good shadowing.

So tonight I'm getting them all into a virtual room, having one of the new guys drive and share his desktop, and making a more experienced one that likes to rack up hours be the guide.  The other two are watching.  Taking notes?  Jesus, I hope so after how many times I asked them to.  One or two are rather nervous, getting cold feet.  So I'm throwing them in the fire, then pushing them back in with a stick when they try to get out.  This is what happens when you come on after the project is in full swing.

I actually think I'm having too much fun, but I'm probably being paranoid.  My boss has been so pleased with my performance so far that he's tossed me an award.  Presumably because he doesn't have to deal with the bullshit anymore. awesome, for real  I think I'm going to be sad when I get these guys going and can go back to doing my usual job.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #461 on: March 23, 2014, 08:07:43 PM

Don't be too hard on them, not everyone learns well by drinking from a fire hose.  awesome, for real

If they are out of their depth as supposed senior people, I assume it's too late to replace them?

- Viin
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #462 on: March 23, 2014, 08:15:29 PM

I'm trying to do that, unfortunately:
1. I could do these things faster and better, which is irritating after hiring "senior admins".
2. These guys have to jump out of the nest, no time for feel-good shadowing.

Welcome to a leadership role.  Hardest part is balancing micromanagement with freedom to act.

Harder then it sounds.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #463 on: March 23, 2014, 08:23:06 PM

Don't be too hard on them, not everyone learns well by drinking from a fire hose.  awesome, for real

If they are out of their depth as supposed senior people, I assume it's too late to replace them?

It's never too late. Ohhhhh, I see.

Really, though, I'm trying not to be hard on them but the project marches on and I can't keep relying on the two or three guys who know what's going on.  I'm trying to make it as easy as I can for them to succeed, I just am not going to do it for them.  We have semi-well-formed process documents and knowledge spread among techs, and I need them to become comfortable in accessing that.  Once they have gotten one or two migrations under their belt, they will be just fine.  I think.

What I'm trying to instill tonight is a reassurance that it's OK to ask questions early and often; I haven't said anything negative about anyone's skills.  This is something that really held me back early on, trying to hide what I didn't know from my team and manager.  That tactic completely doesn't work.

Welcome to a leadership role.  Hardest part is balancing micromanagement with freedom to act.

Harder then it sounds.

Yes it is.  Before being outsourced, my head contained all the major details of the SAP/UNIX enterprise at TCCC.  After, it grew too fast and I was distracted by my new bureaucracy.  Now I'm trying to direct people in a process that I haven't actually done and it's very weird.  Uncomfortable at times.  Then I catch myself looking over someone's shoulder, or calling up people to tell them to join a meeting.  You know, all the shit I hate my manager doing. Ohhhhh, I see.

Once I get some solid leadership skills, I can go work with Ironwood at the bottlecap factory.  We can wear short-sleeved button-down shirts with short ties, sit behind brown metal desks and frown at our inferiors.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #464 on: March 23, 2014, 09:01:44 PM

I can go work with Ironwood at the bottlecap factory.
Which the schlemiel, which the schlimazel?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #465 on: March 23, 2014, 09:05:00 PM

Hossenffefer incorporated?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:11:53 PM by Surlyboi »

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: March 23, 2014, 09:05:08 PM

Hassenpfaf* Incorporated?

*Err.. spelling?

DAMMIT!  Ninja'd!

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #467 on: March 23, 2014, 09:14:45 PM

Hassenpfaf* Incorporated?

*Err.. spelling?

DAMMIT!  Ninja'd!

Heh, sorry.

That said, if you're in the BA, we're looking for a helluva lot of people...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #468 on: March 24, 2014, 12:16:36 AM

I really wish you guys would move up to the middle part of the Bay.  All the big tech corps are in south bay, but I really don't want to move down that way......  Oakland is filled with Hipsters, you should move here!

Not that it matters.  I was looking at that stuff, but have finally secured a job with the guvument, which should pay me to travel around the world doing computer shit, so goodbye Bay Area tech I guess.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: March 24, 2014, 12:29:12 AM

I also think I must be a tad deranged since I find I enjoy leadership at times, even when people are yelling at each other.

As long as the loudest yeller is you you're good.  awesome, for real

Being in a leadership position definitely has pros and cons. I think in some ways the best leaders are people are skilled at leading and only moderately skilled at the actual job. People who are really good at the job are often control freaks, try to do too much themselves (which eventually breaks down), prone to not seeing the bigger picture and not good at dealing with people with a wide range of skills.

My experience is that it's best to have a shadowy figure / power behind the throne / XO / Destro type who can lead by example and be a go-to guy without being an actual manager.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: March 24, 2014, 05:12:11 AM

That said, if you're in the BA, we're looking for a helluva lot of people...
Those got filled quick!

(Rhyssa, the spelling is 'hasenpfeffer'.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #471 on: March 24, 2014, 06:41:44 AM

Not that it matters.  I was looking at that stuff, but have finally secured a job with the guvument, which should pay me to travel around the world doing computer shit, so goodbye Bay Area tech I guess.

Thumbs up!

Awesome, any idea when you start? I take this to mean you made it off the register and have received an entry class invite?

Unfortunately I'm still out in Benin so I'm in no position to buy you a drink.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #472 on: March 24, 2014, 08:32:07 AM

My experience is that it's best to have a shadowy figure / power behind the throne / XO / Destro type who can lead by example and be a go-to guy without being an actual manager.
Story of my career thus far. It would be nicer to have the better pay, but the freedom and lack of ultimate responsibility is nice. Vizier is the word I use.

On Oakland: fuck Oakland. Or maybe that was just being poor and living in the shitty part of Hayward (not the hills) for a couple years.

Shirley, I'd love to work for the company but I want to start a new department dedicated to schools and libraries doing kiosk work. :)
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #473 on: March 24, 2014, 09:09:52 AM

On Oakland: fuck Oakland. Or maybe that was just being poor and living in the shitty part of Hayward (not the hills) for a couple years.
Fuck Oakland and indeed.  That entire part of the bay is a place to avoid.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #474 on: March 24, 2014, 12:37:29 PM

Thumbs up!

Awesome, any idea when you start? I take this to mean you made it off the register and have received an entry class invite?

Unfortunately I'm still out in Benin so I'm in no position to buy you a drink.
Around 'July'.  Got offer letter to start orientation in May, but it said that I could take it or wait for the second offer (they send out two, then terminate candidacy).  Emailed and asked when next orientation was, and they told me July and that it would be ok to wait for it.  So told them I would do that, since it will be way more convenient to finish up all my affairs here by then.  So, should get second offer in another month or two, and be in DC for training in July.  I find out at the end of the 3 week orientation what country I've been assigned, then train the next few months specifically for that assignment, then head out.  I gave notice at my job, and am leaving at the end of March, so I'll pretend I'm European and take a couple months vacation.

Since who knows when the next time I'll be able to take longer than the American standard 10 days a year vacation.  Also, I've been running though iPhone programming courses online.  It'll give me a few months to see if I can get rich off some stupid gimick before signing my life away to the State Department.   awesome, for real

On Oakland:  Seriously, fuck you guys, Oakland is awesome.  Yes there are shitty ghetto parts.  There are also very very nice parts, and much of the downtown and northern half have become a major hub for great food and drinking establishments (not to mention lots of cool stores to shop at).  There are just a lot of great neighborhoods in general.  A lot of this is more recent, so if you haven't been in the area in the last decade or so, or still live in Hayward (which is not Oakland), I can understand.

No seriously, its not just me hyping this.  The New York times even named Oakland number 5 of there top places in the world to visit in 2012, just below London, and above Tokyo.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/travel/45-places-to-go-in-2012.html?pagewanted=all

Its also nice that there has been, in the last few years, a big local brewing boom here.  Lots of cool new beers, and some of the best beer bars in the entire bay area are here (several only about 5 minutes walk from my place):

http://www.oaklandmagazine.com/Oakland-Magazine/March-April-2012/Beer-Beer-Beer/

I'd also say call this entire part of the Bay a place to avoid pretty bad as well.  Emeryville, Berkeley, Albany, and into parts of El Cerrito are all very neat areas as well now.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: March 24, 2014, 04:21:24 PM

On Oakland:  Seriously, fuck you guys, Oakland is awesome.  Yes there are shitty ghetto parts.
Everyone who loves Oakland has this take on it.  "It's great man!  Just don't go to the shitty parts!"  Except I'm not from around here, so I have zero idea where a bad neighborhood vs. a good one is, and reading the murder reports from that area, I'd rather not take my life into my hands to find out on my own.  I will concede that Berkeley, El Cerrito, and Albany actually have a pretty interesting scene and can be fun.  And I'll even give you one better: Oakland isn't as bad as Richmond ;-)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #476 on: March 24, 2014, 04:40:31 PM

It's like Harlem. There's been a huge renaissance there in the last five to ten years as well, but there's still a bunch of shitty places and if you're not a native, it's not the best place to live. When the wife and I were looking for places in the city a few years ago, we passed up some absolutely huge places with relatively cheap prices because the surrounding areas just weren't "there" yet. I'm still thinking of buying a couple of those places to rent out, but not to actually live in.

The people I know that live in Oakland love it. I'm still not sold, but I see where they're coming from.

Shit, I'm getting old.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #477 on: March 24, 2014, 04:50:22 PM

They need to do what Atlanta did, and just divide the city in half. Keep the crazy on one side, separated by a major interstate.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #478 on: March 26, 2012, 08:10:06 AM

They also put a circle around it, to keep the hicks out.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: March 26, 2012, 08:40:06 AM

They also put a circle around it, to keep the hicks out.

Do the hicks only travel in the counter clockwise direction on said circle?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: March 26, 2012, 09:21:58 AM

Once I get some solid leadership skills, I can go work with Ironwood at the bottlecap factory.  We can wear short-sleeved button-down shirts with short ties, sit behind brown metal desks and frown at our inferiors.

I miss it a bit.

A bit.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #481 on: March 30, 2012, 08:50:05 AM

Inevitably, labor trouble.  Can't say much but I'm suddenly a huge fan of in-person interviews.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #482 on: March 30, 2012, 10:19:44 AM

Inevitably, labor trouble.  Can't say much but I'm suddenly a huge fan of in-person interviews.

What?

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: March 30, 2012, 10:35:56 AM

What?

He can't say much. Ohhhhh, I see.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #484 on: March 30, 2012, 12:09:13 PM

But even the tease was odd!

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #485 on: March 30, 2012, 03:17:56 PM

Ha.  Hahahahaha.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #486 on: March 30, 2012, 03:26:02 PM

Do you have an incredibly smelly guy?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: March 30, 2012, 03:59:56 PM

Remember, if you don't, it's you.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #488 on: March 31, 2012, 07:44:01 PM

I expect Cheddar knows what I am dealing with.  I hope not, but probably.

schild
Administrator

Reply #489 on: April 04, 2012, 02:12:43 PM

Yea. I'm getting sick of this job hunt.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: