Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:03:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992894 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #385 on: January 12, 2012, 03:14:26 PM

It's a lot harder to fire a salaried employee. Particularly when said employee works 40 hours per week. I've never had a job that I absolutely had to work overtime on as I work ruthlessly fast and efficiently. In multiple companies now, whenever asked to work overtime, I ask why? If the answer is anything but "because I'm a bad manager who fucked up and managed things poorly," I don't work overtime. There's no incentive. I'm not hauling their ass out of the fire. I'm a fantastic employee but I make people solve their own problems when there's no immediate gain for me. Besides, management is easily replaced.

Now, if I took an hourly job, I'd have incentive to work overtime at a loss to free time, which I don't particular want to do. Also, firing an hourly employee is as easy as snapping your fingers. They get no severance, nothing. You just walk them out.

"Right to Work" is a law in most states and most companies can fire you, but it's simply harder to penalize a salaried employee in any way. It's double hard to not give them severance should you want to get rid of them.

Finally, overtime is bullshit. America already works more hours on the whole than ANY other 1st World Country. It's absolutely pandemic in software, which is a shame. The vast majority of The GrindTM is due to managers and producers having no clue how to make schedules or how long it takes to actually deliver a product. If tech weren't filled with such starfucking, greedy, and socially inept idiots "The Grind" would cease to exist overnight. Shame the third point there will keep them from ever unionizing. Yes, I just said every software developer here who is willing to put in overtime is basically broken, as a person.

tl;dr: Salary is about security. Hourly is about making an extra buck here and there.
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: January 12, 2012, 03:42:43 PM

(What's a Torchy's and should I be excited about this?)

Over on S. Shepard. Great tacos. Try the dirty sanchez, or the trailer park - I prefer it trashy (with queso.) The queso is good, and I generally hate tex mex as a rule. Also, who can resist frried cookie dough?
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #387 on: January 12, 2012, 03:44:33 PM

Unless you belong to a unionized 'classified', aka hourly worker in a public sector job, such as a University. Then its arguable that salaried positions are less secure, because firing a unionized person is hard as heck.

At the University of Washington, for instance, being salaried essentially means two things; you can be overworked without the possibility of complaint and your job is less secure and financially stagnant. No raises in years due to the economic crunch the UW is in. You can also be far more easily terminated as a 'Professional' staff member, aka salaried. On the other hand, unionized workers have mandatory raises every year, position increases on a time-served scale, and no possibility of overtime without compensation. Also, proving a union worker isn't doing their job is nothing short of a Supreme Court case.

Pro staff get more vacation time, but the truth of it there's no realistic way to actually spend it, so it turns out about the same in my case. My GF is pro staff, I'm classified. She earns about 2 k more a year than I do.

That said, yes, Pro staff have more prestige, and are therefore considered first for promotions to higher paid positions, especially towards managerial positions. Thankfully, I'd rather my eyeballs be paper cut with my 1044 than ever be a manager of anything.

It probably varies from state to state, from institution to institution, so ymmv.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #388 on: January 12, 2012, 03:53:13 PM

Torchy's is the second best taco place in Austin. The first place being Taco Deli. Now, Torchy's Tacos are better than Taco Deli's, except they are missing one thing. Doņa Sauce. The sauce at Taco Deli makes it better than ALL OTHER tacos. Anywhere. In the US. Period. Or at least Florida, Virginia, Maryland, Arizona, New York, California, and Texas.

Man, I should have taken you to Guedo's sometime. It was probably only about 15-20mins from your house when you were in AZ.  Their tacos. Goddamn.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #389 on: January 12, 2012, 04:16:05 PM

It's a lot harder to fire a salaried employee. Particularly when said employee works 40 hours per week. I've never had a job that I absolutely had to work overtime on as I work ruthlessly fast and efficiently. In multiple companies now, whenever asked to work overtime, I ask why? If the answer is anything but "because I'm a bad manager who fucked up and managed things poorly," I don't work overtime. There's no incentive. I'm not hauling their ass out of the fire. I'm a fantastic employee but I make people solve their own problems when there's no immediate gain for me. Besides, management is easily replaced.

I think your outlook kinda sucks, tbh. The whole "I'm smart and good, and you're a dumbass manager," thing happens everywhere. In fact, I guarantee you that every person who's ever worked in any company or a bunch of companies has stories about stupid managers. Every CEO who didn't start their own company has those stories.

I guess when I read this, there's about a million warning bells going off in my head as to why not to hire you if I'm looking. I mean, maybe that's a condition of the industry you're in, but if that's how you interact with your management or people you work with, that's kinda shitty.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #390 on: January 12, 2012, 04:20:04 PM

Good managers I work well with, bad managers I work poorly with. Shocking.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #391 on: January 12, 2012, 04:34:17 PM

I guess, it just comes off like that whole paragraph was very me-first-fuck-you, which probably wasn't your intent.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #392 on: January 13, 2012, 04:23:21 AM

There's no inherent benefit to being salaried over being hourly, other than the general tendency for salaried jobs to be more 'important'.

There is no benefit to being salaried vs. hourly, in fact it's often a detriment.

Some of you really don't live in the real world, having been in IT all this time.  I can't think of a salaried position I know of where I worked 40 hours. Nor can I think of a salaried person who ONLY worked 40 hours and survived any round of cuts.  Most places expect 45-50 hours per week minimum.  That's 6 1/4 - 12 1/2 weeks of free work a year. Suddenly your $50k year a job is paying you an hourly rate equivalent to $40k.

A salaried position isn't any more secure than an hourly.  You can cut an hourly worker's  hours to save money, you often have to cut the position on a salary.

Salaried positions are more prestigious because you're the guy making the decisions and with the responsibility.  It reflects a professional rather than a support position.  The salary is supposed to reflect that (but often doesn't.)

Both pale in compensation to being an utter cockwrench able to sell shit to anybody.  Want to make bank? Be a salesperson.  Even bad ones pull down at least $65k in the Midwest where the average compensation is around $30k.  Proven sales record? Unemployment is never a concern.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 04:27:19 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: January 13, 2012, 04:45:47 AM

I guess, it just comes off like that whole paragraph was very me-first-fuck-you, which probably wasn't your intent.

In the current market, it's actually a sensible way to be.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #394 on: January 13, 2012, 06:01:01 AM

Having spent the last couple years in the lowest tiers of management, I've come to realize some things about managers. These oppinions are based primarily on my manager and some of the other lower tier managers around me:  Most of the lowest tier managers' time is spent trying to make sense of the bullshit passed down by upper tier managers, and if they don't, its the guys at the bottom who take the blame. There are idiots in every role and every position, but upper management is ripe with it. At the bottom of the totem pole, your role is to make your department look good by getting the most out of your employees. At the top of the totem pole, your role is making yourself look good by fiddling with numbers and metrics until you do.

As for sales, which I've also done - yes its a great way to make money if you are good at it. Also the most stressful, bullshit job ever invented. Salespeople are easy to replace - its not like they are expected to actually know anything about what they sell or anything. If you meet quotas - you get year end trips to Cabo. If you don't, well, maybe the guy we hire next week will instead.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #395 on: January 13, 2012, 06:32:08 AM

I'll second Ironwood's second of Schild's lack of time for bullshit.  Of course, there is a middle ground.  Why did I get a pay raise from a company that doesn't hand out raises, after a year in which I mostly stuck to my rule of not working outside the 9-5 timeframe?  I'm not entirely sure but I think it has something to do with being a team player, while at the same time avoiding work that I do not want to do.  In fact, I'm looking for things to do that are outside the definition of my job slot (for my own benefit of course), and it seems to be working out.  I'd like to think my management sees the type of work I am doing and has assigned some importance to it, but who knows?  In any case, I'm doing things that I want to do and that will help me out in the next job slot.  Seems to be helping the account as well. Ohhhhh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #396 on: January 13, 2012, 06:56:08 AM

My original response to Paelos was "You're a bad manager, aren't you?" Not because he's necessarily a bad manager but because a lot of people become bad managers simply due to hiring Yes-Men and sycophant retards who will lick all the balls to move up the ladder. Personally I'd want people that challenged me and did things right while busting my balls when I did things wrong.

But that's probably why I'm not a manager, I don't kiss nearly enough ass. Ok, any ass. I don't kiss ass ever. I've never actually applied for a job I well and truly wanted because every company has skeletons in the closet and some measure of retard at at least one of the wheels - and I make it a point to tell them that I don't accept incompetence in my superior or inferiors, and most companies love hearing that. "This guy is no-nonsense straight to business, whoop whoop." Unironically (to me, at least), no company yet has failed me in making those same people interviewing me being the incompetent ones. This is NOT even remotely constrained to the gaming industry. Shit rises to the top in business because upper management of most medium to large companies would rather have lapdogs than individuals. That's fine, but let's stop pretending this isn't a *problem.*

Business in America didn't get to where it was today because of people like me. It got to where it is due to a combination of greed and survival skills. Not talent and eagerness to challenge oneself.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #397 on: January 13, 2012, 07:11:28 AM

I admit, I'm not interested in a challenge.  Well, unless it's fun or profitable somehow, since I did teach myself Perl for no real reason, but those days are gone I think.  Middle ground, I guess.  I might angrily call out someone for doing something badly, but I will then turn around and calmly+nicely help fix the problem.  The core issue is that I don't care for much beyond my own professional integrity, not being inspired by my organization and all.  I may chit-chat (light sucking-up) because that's something you have to do and frankly it costs me nothing to engage in friendly conversation with anyone.  Also it might get me something.  Nothing wrong with the Schild method, you seem to have success with it.  I might be farther along if I adopted a more aggressive stance, but who knows?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
schild
Administrator

Reply #398 on: January 13, 2012, 07:14:08 AM

I'm not even looking to get further along, I'm just hoping to not work with people who don't deserve the oxygen around them.

Most days, I feel like I'm asking too much.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #399 on: January 13, 2012, 07:49:19 AM

My original response to Paelos was "You're a bad manager, aren't you?"

Not a manager at all. I'm a CPA so I do my own thing in a small company. I'm part sales, part customer service, part technical expert, part tech support, and part resolution department. Every boss I've had has been brilliant at something, and horrible at something else. What I've been good at is identifying what the boss didn't do well, and making a point of stepping in for that area. That has yet to fail me.

It's not about kissing ass, unless you consider developing some modicum of repore with your superiors kissing ass. What I'm hearing from you sounds pretty immature tbh. I mean you can get in line with the other people who think they are better than working for certain jobs if you like, or you can run your own company. That would probably be my advice to you. If you're excellent at what you do and can't stand working for stupid people, work for yourself.

Otherwise, get over it.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: January 13, 2012, 07:55:32 AM

I admit, I'm not interested in a challenge.  Well, unless it's fun or profitable somehow, since I did teach myself Perl for no real reason, but those days are gone I think.  Middle ground, I guess.  I might angrily call out someone for doing something badly, but I will then turn around and calmly+nicely help fix the problem.  The core issue is that I don't care for much beyond my own professional integrity, not being inspired by my organization and all.  I may chit-chat (light sucking-up) because that's something you have to do and frankly it costs me nothing to engage in friendly conversation with anyone.  Also it might get me something.  Nothing wrong with the Schild method, you seem to have success with it.  I might be farther along if I adopted a more aggressive stance, but who knows?

You sound like me.  Is this an age thing then ?

schild
Administrator

Reply #401 on: January 13, 2012, 08:10:02 AM

My original response to Paelos was "You're a bad manager, aren't you?"

Not a manager at all. I'm a CPA so I do my own thing in a small company. I'm part sales, part customer service, part technical expert, part tech support, and part resolution department. Every boss I've had has been brilliant at something, and horrible at something else. What I've been good at is identifying what the boss didn't do well, and making a point of stepping in for that area. That has yet to fail me.

It's not about kissing ass, unless you consider developing some modicum of repore with your superiors kissing ass. What I'm hearing from you sounds pretty immature tbh. I mean you can get in line with the other people who think they are better than working for certain jobs if you like, or you can run your own company. That would probably be my advice to you. If you're excellent at what you do and can't stand working for stupid people, work for yourself.

Otherwise, get over it.
More than likely, the problems in tech don't really exist in CPA land. That being that managers in tech, unless naturally talented, are horrendous managers and never receive the training they need. There are good managers out there, but for the most part, they got there by being good at X, so they were promoted to Y, and no longer do X.

That's a problem.

As for myself, while there are people like you, who are maybe willing to "step up" and fill in for a role their manager is good at, I'm not about to step up and fill in for the management part of a managers roll. The American credo of "Do the job you want, not the one you have" is way, way, way too "Work above your pay grade for me." Simply saying that likely makes me unemployable at a lot of companies. These are companies I wouldn't want to work at to begin with. If you wanted me to do Y job, you shouldn't have hired me for X. I'll go way above and beyond in my role, but I draw the line at doing some or even part of someone else's job. At least until that person gets shitcanned.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #402 on: January 13, 2012, 08:20:41 AM

Some of you really don't live in the real world, having been in IT all this time.  I can't think of a salaried position I know of where I worked 40 hours. Nor can I think of a salaried person who ONLY worked 40 hours and survived any round of cuts.  Most places expect 45-50 hours per week minimum.  That's 6 1/4 - 12 1/2 weeks of free work a year. Suddenly your $50k year a job is paying you an hourly rate equivalent to $40k.

These salaried people you speak of? They work for the wrong fucking companies. Really. I've worked for those wrong companies. The company I've worked at for 12 years now as a salaried worker (ad/marketing agency) rarely ever asks me to work overtime and when they do, I'm usually either compensated with a small bonus (rare) or I get some flex hours somewhere when the crunch is over. I think I've had to work overtime/weekends less than 20 times in my entire 12 years here. When crunches come, we've even hired freelancers to make sure the workers don't have to work overtime, weekends or holidays, or at least minimize that off time spent working. Part of it is that my immediate manager is also my friend of almost 20 years but it's also because when the timeline gets fucked, it's not usually his fault. It's either the client being goddamn insane or somebody between the client and the work that fucks something up.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #403 on: January 13, 2012, 08:41:08 AM

As for myself, while there are people like you, who are maybe willing to "step up" and fill in for a role their manager is good at, I'm not about to step up and fill in for the management part of a managers roll. The American credo of "Do the job you want, not the one you have" is way, way, way too "Work above your pay grade for me." Simply saying that likely makes me unemployable at a lot of companies. These are companies I wouldn't want to work at to begin with. If you wanted me to do Y job, you shouldn't have hired me for X. I'll go way above and beyond in my role, but I draw the line at doing some or even part of someone else's job. At least until that person gets shitcanned.

I'm not even exactly sure what you do. It's not coding, but what is it?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #404 on: January 13, 2012, 08:45:03 AM

I'm not even looking to get further along, I'm just hoping to not work with people who don't deserve the oxygen around them.

Most days, I feel like I'm asking too much.

You totally are.  I have this discussion with my wife since she refuses to believe that she is above-average intelligence, and also refuses to believe that means most people are stupider than her.  Even if you were of average intelligence, half the people you meet will be dumber than you.  Also remember that for every genius, there's a raging idiot out there somewhere, undoing his work.

Also the Peter Principle is real.  I'd use this to my advantage, but that damn professional pride I have gets in the way.  Although I think I have figured out how to use it and also continue doing good work, although that's not really the same principle.

Schild, you really need to work for yourself.

You sound like me.  Is this an age thing then ?

I assume age (possibly maturity!), plus too much time under the corporate hammer.  I decided to work with the system instead of against, and I sleep better.

schild
Administrator

Reply #405 on: January 13, 2012, 08:48:49 AM

I'm not even exactly sure what you do. It's not coding, but what is it?
Sheeit, I'll give you a full rundown:

Two years at CompUSA, was headhunted for a new Best Buy flagship store.

Five years of Best Buy. They asked me to be a store manager in lieu of going to college. Shot that down quick.

Two years at Bang & Olufsen. I worked alongside a crazy dude from Ghana and a vegan weird chick. The whole thing was bizarre. The dude bashed a thief in the back of the head with a remote control though and ripped the license plate off his car. Anyway, that job was crazy.

One year at Big Huge Games. My manager there made me not want to work in the gaming industry again. Started f13 shortly before starting there.

The rest of college was odds and ends jobs, full-time but nothing important.

Three years at GoDaddy. This is where I had my best manager, but worst upper management. I was one of, if not the top salesperson my entire time there. I made unbelievable money doing it. Came in late every day and left pretty much whenever I wanted. Absolutely hated the job though. Looking back, I think I was good at the job because I'm confident enough to always sound right even when I was making shit up about things I'd never even heard of, whatever.

One year and change at Challenge Games, which turned into a little under two more years with the big Z (so three total). Did Game Design at both.

Once again, I find myself not wanting to work in the gaming industry again.

Edit: I should point out, while I've spent an abnormal number of years in sales, it's because I'm good at it. I can sell shit in my sleep. I hate it, but it's the one job I've found where when I come in and do the job, no one gives me shit for anything else. When you're above average at sales, you have the run of a place. Job fucking sucks though.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:50:23 AM by schild »
schild
Administrator

Reply #406 on: January 13, 2012, 08:51:22 AM

To answer your question specifically, I was CompSci in college, until I met other coders. So, I suppose I'd be a dev of some kind if devs in general were tolerable people. Protip: They're not. The ones on f13 are the minority of a minority.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #407 on: January 13, 2012, 08:55:00 AM

So do you have a definition of what you might want to do? A prototypical job that you would enjoy? Do you like things static or dynamic? Do you want to set your own hours or have a standard 9-5? What is it that you are looking for?

schild
Administrator

Reply #408 on: January 13, 2012, 09:01:43 AM

What is it that you are looking for?

I have absolutely no idea. I applied for a place the other day that paid decently and I'm pretty sure their business is making up buzzwords.

Personally, I always felt that if you're asking for someone with an outstanding grasp of English that you should totally interview someone who points out typos in the job description.

They didn't call me back.

Honestly, I don't care what the job is, I just want a job where people enjoy what they do with management that enjoys enabling their employees.

Pretty sure you can only pick one of those two as this seems to be the Sophie's Choice of employment decisions.

Edit: I should add, I've been asked multiple times at multiple jobs to be a manager. I've always turned it down because, somehow, failure succeeds and the managers above me would be even worse than the lower level managers I've been dealing with. Yegolev is right, I have to somehow work for myself. It's just hard to do without, well, a pile of money.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:03:59 AM by schild »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: January 13, 2012, 09:03:54 AM

Yes.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: January 13, 2012, 09:09:36 AM

Honestly, I don't care what the job is, I just want a job where people enjoy what they do with management that enjoys enabling their employees.

I want this too.  If you find it, give me a call. 

No, I'm not joking.  I'm sick of unhappy people, of office politics, and of insecure assholes that empower themselves by stepping on heads. 

People are unnecessarily dickish when it comes to the workplace and I'm powerless to understand why. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #411 on: January 13, 2012, 09:14:22 AM

The irony is that I think schild would hate being a manager but he'd probably be a rather good one. I don't say that lightly. I agree with many here who are saying that people are promoted to management not because they have leadership skills (which schild does) but because they know enough of the work that they can supervise other's work. People skills are glossed over.

This seems particularly true of tech areas. I work with one other person in tech (my boss) and we get along famously, both with each other and the rest of the staff. Sure, we have bad days when we're catty and frustrated, but who doesn't? On the other hand, my GF works in a big ole database center and they are constantly up in each other's shit about every little mistake.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #412 on: January 13, 2012, 09:16:45 AM

I wouldn't hate being a manager, but as I've turned down every management position anywhere I've been offered, I have no "real" management experience on my resume. As such, I can't just walk into the job. Now, had I thought being a manager at ANY of my previous jobs would've fulfilled some inborn need for my employed life to not suck ass, I'd have that experience.

In other words, I've held myself back due to dealing with nothing but manchildren and idiots.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #413 on: January 13, 2012, 09:28:05 AM

iirc you're against Seattle, but (as usual) they are hiring like mad here.  I would think with a decent resume, your degree and experience should snag you something fast. 

Even with my shitty resume and no degree it took me only 3 months, but I found what appears to be (on paper) the perfect job as I'm finishing my degree. 

Also, I don't know you personally, but from the interaction here on the boards I would fully tell you to go for a management position doing something you like.  I mean, you manage F13 very successfully and that should translate.  We all know coworkers can be dickbags, but you've dealt with it in the past.  At least in management you can tell the dickbags what to do.  What's another year of trying to figure out if you're good at something?

Either way, good luck. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #414 on: January 13, 2012, 09:29:50 AM

I wish I was a hot chick, then I could just work HR and be fundamentally useless to society and swagger my way to the top.

If I ever run a company, HR will be full of slovenly, overpaid geniuses with neckbeards and mother issues.

Just kidding, it'll be dumb hot chicks.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #415 on: January 13, 2012, 09:38:04 AM

The only other upside to Seattle, is that there is a massive startup community here.  My best friend is a developer that actively goes to startup gatherings and he has to turn offers down.  You could do your day job, then pursue your dream at night.  The downside being that sometimes you dump time into projects that don't come to fruition. 

And yes, I have never met an HR person that I have liked being around, even outside of work.  Bulldoze the whole lot of them, imo.  At this job I just started, I did all my starting paperwork (w-4, i-9, all that jazz) online before I even stepped foot in the office.  I haven't even met an HR person yet, other than two emails about interviews.  I'm not sure what they're doing that requires a whole department.
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: January 13, 2012, 09:42:23 AM

My god schild I see why you are bitter.  Working retail, game design and customer service, sales. /shudder   How are you even sane at this point?    Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?   

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: January 13, 2012, 09:44:40 AM

The irony is that I think schild would hate being a manager but he'd probably be a rather good one.

I think Schild would be an outstanding manager.  He's bright, concise, and knows how to fit people with their strengths.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #418 on: January 13, 2012, 09:47:45 AM

Sounds to me as though you should create your own company and set up as a freelance PR and media consultant. It's basically sales without the horrors of retail, reasonably creative, you'd be working for yourself and you should already have a decent network by now.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #419 on: January 13, 2012, 10:02:12 AM

I want this too.  If you find it, give me a call.  
I found it, but the pay sucks.

Working with people who love their career and helping people all day is pretty cool, though.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: