Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:48:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992935 times)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: January 10, 2012, 05:54:21 PM

Fuck that, I have an art degree. I'll decorate a fucking cake. Where can I sign up? Does it pay more than unemployment?

Unfortunately, right now we're looking in Philly, NYC, Chicago and Montreal, and you have to already be in the field (3-5 years experience).  Besides, I would have to resist the urge to prank you.  It sucks being Comptroller without any direct minions to do my dirty work.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: January 10, 2012, 06:15:15 PM

Speaking of Austin, we were rated as the best city to get a job in, or at least, the highest jobs available rate.

So, if anyone wants to be a contractor that pays less than unemployment here (I know, right) or work in the service industry, Austin is THE place for you.

Bioware:Austin has like 30 open jobs posted on the ArsTechnica job board. Sorting by city there is also an Android UI engineer at some place called "Mutual Mobile".

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #352 on: January 10, 2012, 06:19:48 PM

Heh.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: January 10, 2012, 06:21:08 PM

Point me to the government job posting.

We filled it 3 months ago, all state jobs are listed on TWC, the hardest part is filling out the 10 page state application.  Look for Web Administrator, Programmer and Systems Analyst positions.

edit: The austin php meetup board usually has many postings as well.  The Expression Engine/Codeignitor group hasn't been around nearly as long but some fun folks there too.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 06:28:59 PM by Salamok »
schild
Administrator

Reply #354 on: January 10, 2012, 07:18:55 PM

I am not a coder, unfortunately. I gave that up because I hated my fellow students. They were awful.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: January 10, 2012, 07:33:54 PM

I have interviewed for several Web Administrator positions where all they wanted was a grammar/format nazi to paste content into a CMS that was already in place.  State Systems Analysts seem to vary quite a bit and range from implementing off the shelf software, writing specs and or just documenting shit.  Most stuff firmly reporting to IT has the unspoken mission statement of "be sure and throw up enough red tape to make sure nothing changes ever", so for example if you are a project manager your unspoken mandate is to write a spec in a way to make the project so complicated as to require it be outsourced if it happens to get approved anyway.  Plus much of the state shit is like a decade behind the current trends and you really wouldn't have to be much of a coder to pull that off.

edit: Shit the comptrollers office is so paranoid that they don't even let their Web Administrators III's ($65k/yr and up) do server side code, prerequisites are basically CSS and HTML.  Tons of good that did them since some dumb shit went ahead and parked sensitive data on an unsecured ftp site anyhow.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:37:10 PM by Salamok »
schild
Administrator

Reply #356 on: January 10, 2012, 07:36:19 PM

Ok then. This is good to know. Would I enjoy such a position or would my coworkers be awful, lifeless people where I'd make every attempt to work from home if possible?
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: January 10, 2012, 07:39:25 PM

Ok then. This is good to know. Would I enjoy such a position or would my coworkers be awful, lifeless people where I'd make every attempt to work from home if possible?

Varies, I've met some good people but shit definitely floats to the top and it can be frustrating dealing with ignorant policy and decision makers.  On the one hand it can be soul sucking on the other hand I get paid to do shit that no one in their right mind would ever pay for if they actually had to foot the bill.

edit: oh yeah and you leave on time every day on the nose, you take lunch every day, you never get hassled for calling in sick (accrue 8 hours a month and you never lose it), and take you vacation with no worries about a job being there when you get back.  Any looming deadlines generally take a back seat to all of the above.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:44:49 PM by Salamok »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: January 11, 2012, 06:10:32 AM

State jobs are really comfortable.  I miss mine, things just got completely untenable where I was, unfortunately.  Regardless, if you can put up with the system it's a great way to make a living.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: January 11, 2012, 08:42:25 AM

Ah, but you get a terrific front-row seat for teh crazy where you are now.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #360 on: January 11, 2012, 09:10:46 AM

We are hiring a new UI artist. Flash and Scaleform stuff mostly.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: January 11, 2012, 10:58:24 AM

Flash and Scaleform you say?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #362 on: January 11, 2012, 11:39:10 AM

lol it's like programming in the 70's except back then you could fake it for 6-12 months.

Well timeframe varies by intelligence and guile.  I am trying to compensate for the fact that I've been doing AIX for 15 years (large scale corporate for 12) and it's probably second nature, so what seems like cake to me might baffle someone else.  But really, if you are out of work there's no reason you can't install CentOS on a PC and run through some exercises, then make bold exaggerations on your resume about how much RedHat you can do.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #363 on: January 11, 2012, 12:23:46 PM

https://www.austincityjobs.org/postings/30142

See here's a job posting I could do *and* bullshit if I wanted. It pays roughly double unemployment but comes with the added benefit of potentially giving presentations to executives? For $30 an hour max? I'm sorry, but is this what we've come to? Executives that will take advice from a Magic Player who reads shit on the internet and makes $30 an hour?

Also, hourly jobs are ballshit.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: January 11, 2012, 12:31:40 PM

For that price, the only presentations they should get are your unwashed ballsack.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #365 on: January 11, 2012, 12:34:16 PM

Agreed.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: January 11, 2012, 12:36:45 PM

Unemployment pays 30k a year?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #367 on: January 11, 2012, 12:37:22 PM

$28.8k to be precise.

Edit: Oh, and thanks to our wonderful governor, Rick Perry - I can suck that teat for 2 years.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #368 on: January 11, 2012, 12:38:05 PM

Shit, that's more than I got when I was on unemployment 15 years ago. Maybe twice as much.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: January 11, 2012, 12:47:11 PM

$28.8k to be precise.

Edit: Oh, and thanks to our wonderful governor, Rick Perry - I can suck that teat for 2 years.

Hell, I worked my ass off for 30k a year for years.  Enjoy it while you can.  Get a PO Box and a passport and go hitch-hike across Europe working in Hostels or something, you're still young enough to get away with it.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: January 11, 2012, 12:48:44 PM

Shit, that's more than I got when I was on unemployment 15 years ago. Maybe twice as much.

Facepalm
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: January 11, 2012, 12:57:40 PM

https://www.austincityjobs.org/postings/30142

See here's a job posting I could do *and* bullshit if I wanted. It pays roughly double unemployment but comes with the added benefit of potentially giving presentations to executives? For $30 an hour max? I'm sorry, but is this what we've come to? Executives that will take advice from a Magic Player who reads shit on the internet and makes $30 an hour?

Also, hourly jobs are ballshit.

Doesn't look that bad to me. It's not exactly a management position, so you would be supporting those activities not doing them all yourself. Besides, BSA is a good start to into higher-level business positions. Unemployment is a poor start to anything.

- Viin
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #372 on: January 11, 2012, 01:00:47 PM

Get off my lawn!

Facepalm

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #373 on: January 11, 2012, 01:08:05 PM

I wonder how much the project managers that I deal with take in.  Hopefully about $25 per hour or less.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: January 11, 2012, 01:11:45 PM

I wonder how much the project managers that I deal with take in.  Hopefully about $25 per hour or less.
Not if they get paid anything close to what the PMs here are making.  Some are making some nice change.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #375 on: January 11, 2012, 01:17:31 PM

Not if they get paid anything close to what the PMs here are making.  Some are making some nice change.

This saddens me deeply.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #376 on: January 12, 2012, 07:42:44 AM

If I could get 30k in unemployment for two years, I'd be unemployed for two years A LOT.

I don't make much more than that.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: January 12, 2012, 08:12:56 AM

It matches up with inflation perfectly in that case.
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: January 12, 2012, 10:55:24 AM

As someone who recently had a 6 month unemployment adventure in Houston (same state, different planet, although we did just recently get a Torchy's,) I have some insight to share.

My big mistake: working a 1 day temp assignment to gain cache with an agency. The unnemployment office will shut your payments down unless you make a new application - which of course takes 2 to 3 weeks to start. You can try to temp your way out of unemployment, but you should only take a job with an extended contract to start with. You don't want to have to continually update your last employer.

My big success: find a less desireable job with a long training period and good benefits, with some sort of clearly defined advancement potential. Slam out a few easy certs on the company dime, and either get promoted or get out before the grind sets in. About to wrap up my CCNA and execute the final step of my master plan. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: January 12, 2012, 01:35:20 PM

(What's a Torchy's and should I be excited about this?)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
schild
Administrator

Reply #380 on: January 12, 2012, 02:09:45 PM

As someone who recently had a 6 month unemployment adventure in Houston (same state, different planet, although we did just recently get a Torchy's,) I have some insight to share.

My big mistake: working a 1 day temp assignment to gain cache with an agency. The unnemployment office will shut your payments down unless you make a new application - which of course takes 2 to 3 weeks to start. You can try to temp your way out of unemployment, but you should only take a job with an extended contract to start with. You don't want to have to continually update your last employer.

My big success: find a less desireable job with a long training period and good benefits, with some sort of clearly defined advancement potential. Slam out a few easy certs on the company dime, and either get promoted or get out before the grind sets in. About to wrap up my CCNA and execute the final step of my master plan. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
I will not do any work for a company unless I'm getting paid under the table or I immediately become a full time employee. Unemployment is too good in Texas.

Torchy's is the second best taco place in Austin. The first place being Taco Deli. Now, Torchy's Tacos are better than Taco Deli's, except they are missing one thing. Doņa Sauce. The sauce at Taco Deli makes it better than ALL OTHER tacos. Anywhere. In the US. Period. Or at least Florida, Virginia, Maryland, Arizona, New York, California, and Texas.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #381 on: January 12, 2012, 02:38:57 PM

Wow, seriously balking at $30/hour? Ohhhhh, I see.

And FYI, most government jobs are technically hourly, even up to very high levels. Salaried pay is only better, IMO, if you somehow manage to consistently work less than the normal 40-hour work week. At least for me, I don't see that ever happening.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #382 on: January 12, 2012, 02:44:52 PM

There's no inherent benefit to being salaried over being hourly, other than the general tendency for salaried jobs to be more 'important'.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: January 12, 2012, 02:47:33 PM

(What's a Torchy's and should I be excited about this?)
Started as a taco trailer here in Austin and is now expanding to Dallas and I guess Houston. Yes, you should be excited. I can't drive by the Torchy's near my apartment without stopping.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: January 12, 2012, 02:57:10 PM

There's no inherent benefit to being salaried over being hourly, other than the general tendency for salaried jobs to be more 'important'.

There is an inherent benefit to being hourly over being salaried though.  That is you get paid for the hours you work, so if you work more hours you make more money.

I'm not sure why being salaried is seen as more prestigious.  Really, it sounds like some kind of a con.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: