Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:04:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992849 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #280 on: October 12, 2011, 02:01:35 PM

To be clear, what I really want is to not be on call every five weeks or robbed of a weekend every month.  I've managed to get to a nice mental place with my current job, and I generally keep myself inside normal business hours, but there's that annoying bit where I'm constantly pestered every time something breaks.  Makes it hard to engineer things, or accomplish anything that takes more than a single workday.

Architect spots are hard to find, although by architect I'm specifically meaning someone who develops new solutions and sets standards while lesser techs do the implementation.  Not necessarily the seagull consultant.  It's that, or enter management.  Which might happen anyway, since finding a job that pays more is going to be extremely difficult in the current climate unless I go the contract SA route.  But I feel like I'm too old for that shit.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: October 12, 2011, 02:10:55 PM

Yeah, ok.  I wouldn't call that an Architect as such.  But Good Luck.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #282 on: October 12, 2011, 04:24:10 PM

What would you call it?  I might be using the wrong term.  I really want to look for "whatever is the next step above UNIX/storage administrator".

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #283 on: October 12, 2011, 04:27:49 PM

Depends but Systems Analyst is one title.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #284 on: October 12, 2011, 06:51:30 PM

Yep, that's a good one.  I might throw that into the resume and see what happens.  Probably lots of travel. Ohhhhh, I see.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: October 13, 2011, 03:05:30 AM

Yeah, Systems or Business Analyst (IT) would be that over here.  Basically, the chap who does the process review and says 'Right, Build this.'

It's what I do just now, strangely.

Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: October 13, 2011, 07:03:57 AM

Yeah, Systems or Business Analyst (IT) would be that over here.  Basically, the chap who does the process review and says 'Right, Build this.'

Its what my wife did. Working between the business users and the IT builders.
Now she runs the teams that do this.
She does it as a consultant though, not for one specific company.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #287 on: October 13, 2011, 07:13:10 AM

finding a job that pays more is going to be extremely difficult
Pay is not always in dollars. Sure, it's tough making chump change here in bumfuck, nowhere. But I can make ends meet with a little leftover for hobbies and vacations, I work a 35 hour week, 9-5 M-F and my weekends are my own, with decent benefits and federal holidays. Something I remind myself of every time I look at jobs around there area, I could make more money but I'd be much more miserable.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: October 13, 2011, 07:27:08 AM

Amen to that.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #289 on: October 13, 2011, 08:31:23 AM

finding a job that pays more is going to be extremely difficult
Pay is not always in dollars. Sure, it's tough making chump change here in bumfuck, nowhere. But I can make ends meet with a little leftover for hobbies and vacations, I work a 35 hour week, 9-5 M-F and my weekends are my own, with decent benefits and federal holidays. Something I remind myself of every time I look at jobs around there area, I could make more money but I'd be much more miserable.

I agree completely, which is why I'm not going for the $65x70 week jobs.  I've told people for years that money isn't everything... although the wife disagrees. Ohhhhh, I see.  On the other hand, I want my wife to stop working and for that I need more income.  I'm still not willing to kill myself for it, though.

Awesome, I'll update the resume.  I already do a large amount of this in my current role, I just don't have the force of title to go with it.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: October 13, 2011, 09:21:18 AM

The agency I work for here in SW Florida is seeking a computer programmer (MySQL, MSSQL, PHP, C#, .net) and a basic computer technician (nothing network admin level type...we've got about 700+ computers and 300+ laptops that need to be cared for 24/7).

PM me if you want specifics.  

Edit: Side-note, I had the computer tech position for four years.  Was fun, but got burned out fixing spy-ware all the time  awesome, for real.  Still, I assure you the benefits are decent and it'll look good on your resume to have worked at my particular agency.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Edit #2: It's two separate jobs...we're not looking for some uber tech that can do it all  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 09:34:19 AM by luckton »

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #291 on: October 13, 2011, 01:26:33 PM

Edit #2: It's two separate jobs...we're not looking for some uber tech that can do it all  Ohhhhh, I see.

Sure you're not.  That might save lots of health insurance costs. Ohhhhh, I see.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #292 on: November 03, 2011, 09:10:45 PM

So I finally managed to pass my French exam today, which means my French is now Government Approved...whatever that means.

Well, it Does mean that I can finally proceed to my next position in wonderful...Cotonou, Benin. So, if you for some reason find yourself in that isolated part of the world...say hi.

Just do me a favor and don't get locked up, critically ill/injured, or die in the middle of the night.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: November 03, 2011, 09:27:55 PM

Sounds like a f13 drunken knife fight night in Cotonou, Benin is in order!

Strazos

Reply #294 on: November 03, 2011, 09:42:19 PM

You guys pay for the grossly overpriced flight, I'll supply the house.

I mean, to be fair...you're all paying for it anyway.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: November 04, 2011, 09:04:22 AM

Did you know Benin has an annual Voodoo Day? How awesome is that!

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: November 04, 2011, 09:30:56 AM

Just do me a favor and don't get locked up, critically ill/injured, or die in the middle of the night.
Doing those things during the day is okay?  You just don't want to have to get out of bed, right?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #297 on: November 04, 2011, 12:48:48 PM

To my fellow Canucks in the GTA area, my work is looking for a Senior Technical Analyst who has experience with PeopleSoft. I could probably dig up a Job Description for the position if anyone is interested. Pay at our company is above average, benefits are decent and the workplace is pretty laid back.

If you're interested, PM me.
Strazos

Reply #298 on: November 04, 2011, 04:54:24 PM

Did you know Benin has an annual Voodoo Day? How awesome is that!

No, but I did know that they're the birthplace of Voodoo, with the largest market in West Africa (or perhaps all of Africa).

Doing those things during the day is okay?  You just don't want to have to get out of bed, right?

Yes - Please keep it to business hours.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #299 on: November 04, 2011, 06:46:49 PM

PeopleSoft again? Turnover much? Ohhhhh, I see.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #300 on: November 18, 2011, 11:03:16 AM

Does anyone have any contacts at En Masse Entertainment?  I just applied for a support position here in Seattle and would appreciate a reference if anyone has one.  Even if it is just to ensure my resume is looked at, that would be great.  Thanks!
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #301 on: November 18, 2011, 02:59:51 PM

So, like, ding.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #302 on: November 18, 2011, 03:13:58 PM

grats

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #303 on: November 18, 2011, 03:53:13 PM

Time for the traditional celebratory impregnation, right?  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #304 on: November 18, 2011, 05:18:44 PM

So, like, ding.

Grats! What lvl? Were u kiting wyverns?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #305 on: November 18, 2011, 05:27:40 PM

Time for the traditional celebratory impregnation, right?  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Already done. 

So, like, ding.

Grats! What lvl? Were u kiting wyverns?

It was surprising and... I dunno.  Humbling, actually.  Is that possible when you move to the next level?

I honestly am not sure what to think at this point.  What I will say is this - I have a ton of work ahead of me.

So, yeah, kited a ton of wyverns and now doing the kill ten rats quest.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: November 21, 2011, 06:41:31 AM

It was surprising and... I dunno.  Humbling, actually.  Is that possible when you move to the next level?

Yes.  You do, however, have to get over it QUICK.  It doesn't help.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #307 on: November 21, 2011, 07:21:10 AM

I'm wondering if I will find the middle between unworthy and authoritarian mindsets.  Maybe when I retire.

Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: November 21, 2011, 07:32:46 AM

Just a heads up.
Pricewaterhouse Coopers has a lot of IT jobs posted across the country right now. Both in and outside of the healthcare field.

https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_searchresults.asp?partnerid=25163&siteID=5463&AgentID=8058388&Function=runquery

http://jobs.pwc.com/careers/it-jobs

They pay well and my wife likes working for them.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #309 on: November 21, 2011, 07:40:02 AM

PeopleSoft again? Turnover much? Ohhhhh, I see.
Nah, we're just understaffed right now. There's only 18 people in our company and we have 4 support clients and something like 10 consulting clients.
schild
Administrator

Reply #310 on: November 21, 2011, 12:08:20 PM

That was my assumption.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #311 on: November 21, 2011, 02:25:42 PM

Already done. 

Oh, Ched. Your spawn will cover the earth, won't they.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: November 21, 2011, 06:02:59 PM

Give it a couple of generations and we can all claim to be related because of Chedder's brood.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #313 on: November 21, 2011, 06:13:43 PM

Give it a couple of generations and we can all claim to be related because of Chedder's brood.

awesome, for real

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #314 on: November 22, 2011, 05:33:51 AM

I'm going to opt out of that cabal. Ohhhhh, I see.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: