Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2021, 02:10:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 614184 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3920 on: February 26, 2021, 04:27:57 PM

Have fun with that. I remember the hassle my old boss at the library here went through getting them up and running on Polaris when they split their catalog off from the system-wide one.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3921 on: March 22, 2021, 02:46:26 PM

So I never got a follow-up on that job position. It also did not go to the #2 guy who could've swapped out his nameplate and started without (much) training. Went to a guy from downstate who was a branch director there but more recently worked less than a year at a library that hasn't been open the entire time he worked there (COVID+construction). Note the position is administrative, but it's a small shop, so it's a hard skills IT position first. So we're bracing for the period between now and the time they realize he doesn't have the hard skills to get things done, because it's going to suck for 43 libraries.

The best part, I didn't even get the announcement to system employees about the new hire. I've been asking them for 21 years to create an IT mailing list for the handful of us in the system (as well as their own internal IT staff). And yet none of us are on any email lists, so we never get system-level announcements. Had to ask a coworker to forward the announcement to me  Ohhhhh, I see. But this is normal, the expected level of unprofessionalism (and another reason it would've been difficult for me there, I'm used to a high level of professionalism, institutionally we tend to punch far above our weight).

Now I wonder if I'll get a call when this dude inevitably washes out. My guess is he burns the #2 guy out, and the position becomes almost un-fillable by a serious candidate and we end up with years of clowns talking the talk but not walking the walk. Hopefully they kill that ILS merger project until at least one of the libraries has a competent IT director. My money is on the project being pushed through (historically speaking, this is the way).

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: