Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:48:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Clevinger at Marvel 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clevinger at Marvel  (Read 5868 times)
LK
Terracotta Army

on: September 16, 2010, 02:46:10 PM

I liked 8-Bit Theater, and I think Clevinger writes some great dialog and is a funny guy, but I've taken issues with how he's conducted himself over the years so I can't really throw my hat into the fan pool for him. He does good work, though.

What's really striking is his recent work on Avengers and the Infinity Gauntlet. Yeah, his dialog is there, his inane characters and their extreme archetypes are there, but... it's using established characters in ways inconsistent with their personalities, or at least taking their established personalities and dialing it up to 11.

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album_view.php?gid=2447

I don't know, I take the whole thing as silly, and maybe that's the point? It reads like an Atomic Robo comic with all the characters swapped up but the same spirit.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 02:53:54 PM

Isn't it essentially an offshoot of the Marvel Adventures stuff, which is pretty much an alternate MU that's supposed to be an All Ages (kid friendly) line of comics?
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 03:13:55 PM

Yeah, I guess. I keep forgetting these icons are more marketing entities than "characters."

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 03:17:08 PM

What's really striking is his recent work on Avengers and the Infinity Gauntlet. Yeah, his dialog is there, his inane characters and their extreme archetypes are there, but... it's using established characters in ways inconsistent with their personalities, or at least taking their established personalities and dialing it up to 11.

Isn't that what Bendis has been doing to those characters for years?

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 09:27:52 PM

Ms. Marvel's face in that link.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 11:44:47 PM

That's a man, baby.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 12:12:54 AM

I don't really know anything about comics, but that thing with Spider-Man and the Hulk and Doctor Doom and everyone all riding a semi-truck into space was amusing. Your mileage may vary.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 01:29:46 AM

I don't really know anything about comics, but that thing with Spider-Man and the Hulk and Doctor Doom and everyone all riding a semi-truck into space was amusing. Your mileage may vary.

The Marvel Adventures stuff I've read has actually been pretty good (there's a great issue of Marvel Adventures: Avengers where they all get turned into MODOK's).  They don't make the mistake of confusing "All-Ages" with "6 and under".
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 01:41:04 AM

I thought that whole bit was really fucking funny actually.  I'll definitely be reading the whole comic.  I do like that guys humor though (read 8-bit theater for years), so that's to be expected.  I'm not sure how others like him.

Anyways, as long as its not really official continuity, I don't give a fuck.  It was fucking hilarious.  I'll treat it just like Nextwave, which was also fucking hilarious.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 07:20:05 AM

Super Hero Squad was better than that Avengers thing.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Clevinger at Marvel  
Jump to: