Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:29:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Pirates of the Burning Sea  |  Topic: PotBS goes to a F2P model this fall 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PotBS goes to a F2P model this fall  (Read 19427 times)
rattran

Unreasonable

on: September 16, 2010, 08:35:44 AM

Here

Skinny on details, but it looks like subs are going away, playtime purchases perhaps? Or just the ingame ads they talk about? We'll see.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 11:33:26 AM

I could make a really fun game out of the ship combat they had.  Everything else was terrible.  But it being F2P will get me to download and try it again.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 11:52:59 AM

Yup, me too. Loved the game overall, not enough to keep me paying a monthly fee, but I would throw a few bucks for thingies once in a while.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:46:46 PM

Woo hoo!

God Save the Horn Players
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 11:08:23 PM

I might give it a try for free, depending on what they let you do for free.  Always liked the actual ship stuff when I was in the beta; it was the horrible land missions, economy and the whole stupid level system they had that all sucked.

Over and out.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 12:39:41 AM

Yeah, after pretty much every single person who played the game said the same thing everyone in this thread is saying (ships good, avatar combat BAD), you would think that they would tone down the avatar stuff.

I'll give it a go in a few days when Minecraft and Vindictus get boring.

Edit: Anyone have any preferences on a server?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 05:23:03 AM

Yeah, after pretty much every single person who played the game said the same thing everyone in this thread is saying (ships good, avatar combat BAD), you would think that they would tone down the avatar stuff.

I'll give it a go in a few days when Minecraft and Vindictus get boring.

Edit: Anyone have any preferences on a server?
Considering there are only two servers (and neither was the one our society was on), I would wager most people's server choice would be Roberts (the US server). Antigua is the "EU server" but honestly both servers are at SOE headquarters anyway, so it wouldn't even be better for EU people. Back in Jan/Feb when they closed all the servers and had the free play month (which I wrote about in the third thread down from here) I moved my characters to Roberts.

The ship combat is definitely where the fun is in this game, but I honestly want to see what type of F2P model this ends up with and how exactly they intend to screw it up with an FLS store.

The free expansion is supposed to be live now, but since it didn't accomplish anything that was worth returning for, I might not have even thought about this game again until this F2P announcement.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 01:29:39 PM

Antigua is a better name.  I'll probably go Spanish there.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 02:10:34 PM

When is it going F2P?
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 02:15:08 PM

Antigua is a better name.  I'll probably go Spanish there.

How dare you besmirch the name of the Dread Pirate Roberts!  Shaking fist

Over and out.
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 05:21:09 PM

Looks like F2P on the 22nd. I got this email a little while ago...

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 07:37:42 PM

So, any new updates on this? It's just a few days away and no new word.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 08:18:37 AM

http://www.burningsea.com/page/news/article&article_id=271055

We plan to publish build 2.1 to our live servers on Monday, November 29th. Antigua and Roberts should be down between midnight and 9am PST*. This patch will take Pirates of the Burning Sea Free to Play!

The exact release time may change based on conversations we have with SOE later this week, and we plan to keep you up to date with any changes.

We invite you to hang out in the official Pirates of the Burning Sea chat channel while the servers are down.

Someone tell me if it's worth the download.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 10:09:08 PM

Eh, it's pretty fun. 7.1gb though.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 03:59:28 AM

A long time ago i shrilled for this game. Anyway may pick this up again.
WayAbvPar

Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 03:07:19 PM

Waiting to hear if I can transfer my characters. Downloaded last night, but fuck me if I am grinding up more characters. Is this totally free, or is there some sort of store/subscription? I had a lifetime sub originally, so I am curious how it might work (sent an email to support last night). Anyone still playing Spanish?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 12:07:57 PM

someone post where the BC flotilla will be.  Would like to try it out.
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 01:15:16 AM

I'm gonna give this a try.  Was always kinda curious, but didn't want to pay $ since I have a feeling I may not like it.  Never know though so with F2P I'm willing to give it a shot.

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 08:46:48 AM

I am playing on Antigua as Spanish- my Naval Officer and Freetrader were transferred here, but my pirate was on a server that died and was thus unrecoverable. Still trying to remember how the hell to play.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 11:16:11 AM

How has it improved since beta? Is the on-foot mission stuff still refried monkey ass?

WayAbvPar

Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 03:00:45 PM

I haven't been able to bring myself to try the av-com yet. It was so bad before I am not sure they could really salvage it.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Pirates of the Burning Sea  |  Topic: PotBS goes to a F2P model this fall  
Jump to: