Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:11:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Dark Tower 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dark Tower  (Read 32757 times)
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: May 03, 2017, 08:19:01 AM

That was interesting, but it seems like they really are diverging from the basic storyline a lot. That could work with the whole "this has happened before, and will happen again" theme, but not sure.  It looks like there's too much New York in it; I don't remember Roland getting there nearly so early, and worry they're doing it to have an urban setting more than a dystopia one from Roland's world.

Still, Idris Elba..  Heart

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: May 03, 2017, 08:37:23 AM

Never really was a fan of Kings prose to be honest, though I loved the Eyes of the Dragon.

Ditto.

Trailer doesn't look terrible.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: May 03, 2017, 09:47:46 AM

I mostly like King's early work.  His later work seemed pretty uneven, and not really rewarding to read.  c.f. The Tommyknockers.   Ohhhhh, I see.  I did read the Dark Tower books up to the point where he stopped for... a decade?  And never really picked them back up when he returned to the project.

I did enjoy Eyes of the Dragon.  I wonder if it holds up.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: May 03, 2017, 10:52:05 AM

Zero fucking interest in this.  And then Katheryn Winnick appears.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: May 03, 2017, 12:15:40 PM

The books made everything seem gritty and grim. This is clean.

I'm really not getting clean from that trailer. Bit more of it from Jake's perspective than the books, might be why it appears that way.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: May 03, 2017, 05:42:59 PM

I thought TDT was a western, not some generic SF claptrap?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: May 03, 2017, 06:05:32 PM

How kid centric is this story? never read it, the heavy involvement of a kid in the trailer is the only thing that didn't look awesome.

I am the .00000001428%
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: May 03, 2017, 06:13:12 PM

The whole trailer feels paint by numbers, I'm predicting a pretty shit movie.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #78 on: May 03, 2017, 07:42:24 PM

Yeah, but you thought it was a western, so, yeah.

I liked the trailer, and if it is indeed the beginning of another cycle, I'll go with it.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: May 03, 2017, 07:54:20 PM

This trailer didn't fill me with hope. I hate the cheesy "toss cylinder in the air, reload gun by slapping it in mid-air" bs. It also looks like it is diverging way to much from the books for my taste. Sure, this is another time around but it doesn't even really feel like the books.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: May 03, 2017, 10:16:34 PM

Yeah, but you thought it was a western, so, yeah.

I liked the trailer, and if it is indeed the beginning of another cycle, I'll go with it.

Fair enough.  Only read bits of the first book, I assumed the thematic sense would continue even in different trappings.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: May 03, 2017, 10:31:27 PM

Listen.  He did a lot of cocaine, then was in an accident, and now he's gone back and rewritten parts of the first book to make it consistent with the rest of it.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: May 04, 2017, 10:30:54 AM

How kid centric is this story? never read it, the heavy involvement of a kid in the trailer is the only thing that didn't look awesome.

No idea about the movie, but the kid is pretty central to the Gunslinger's character arc in the books.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #83 on: May 04, 2017, 11:00:43 AM

I know and was intrigued by the particular approach King and the producers are taking with this (and the fact they're supposedly starting "in the middle"), but this trailer is too flashy and almost killed any interest I had.

Fuck.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #84 on: May 05, 2017, 06:30:59 AM

To give you an idea of some of the talent involved here, one of the four credited writers wrote or co-wrote the screenplays for Batman & Robin, Lost in Space, I Am Legend, Insurgent, and Rings. Another one is one of a half-dozen writers that had a hand in The Amazing Spider-man 2, co-wrote the upcoming Jumanji movie, and has apparently been tasked with writing the ROM, M.A.S.K., and Visionaries movies, as well as the Venom movie. The director is from Denmark and from what I can tell, this appears to be his first English language movie. He's also one of the writers on this.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: May 05, 2017, 07:05:36 AM

Wow.  That's like a litany of utter suck.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #86 on: May 05, 2017, 10:48:11 AM

I didn't like that trailer. I'm a big fan of the series, to the point where I can excuse how bad some of the last books are, but that didn't hit any of the notes was hoping for.

It seems to be a big departure from the original Jake character and The Man in Black as well.  Oh well, here's hoping it doesn't actually suck.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #87 on: May 05, 2017, 11:45:06 AM

It's been a while since I've seen the books and other than some nice imagery (the gun-fu-magic and the Tower), I can't reliably say it resembled the books I read. Like at all. I'll chalk part of that up to my failing old man memory but fuck's sake, it didn't look anything like I pictured it.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #88 on: May 05, 2017, 11:57:30 AM

Yeah, no matter the "sequel" idea or anything else, the trailer doesn't really convey the atmosphere of the books, at all (although, yes, that particular segment of the book supposedly portrayed in the first movie is quite frantic compared to other storylines).

Yeah, maybe I should just rewatch Sergio Leone's movies to get some of that (at least up to Book 2) but, just to make a relatively recent example, "The Fellowship of the Ring", with its slow pace and narration, recreated the mood of the book perfectly, IMO (hell, we could notice that even since the very first trailer of FOTR).

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: May 09, 2017, 08:34:06 AM

All they had to do was "Gunslinger Born" and they'd have a Logan style classic.  Why make the damned thing more complex than that?  Didn't like this concept (but I haven't gotten far at all in the series myself).

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: August 01, 2017, 09:17:16 PM

There's been a bit of Dark Tower mention in the Useless Movies thread, which has reminded me after seeing the latest trailer that I need to cautiously rescind my cautious optimism. The trailer looks exciting, but what it shows deviates so far from the books that it might as well just be another intellectual property altogether, reboot or no.

It might be perfectly worth seeing, as long as you don't mind the entire overarching plot of the books being replaced by something else.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: August 01, 2017, 10:40:19 PM

If Elba brings the Gunslinger, and Macconnahughey pulls a decently sinister Man in Black, I'll be fine with it being a sidestory like Wind thru the Keyhole or whatever it was. Frankly, I think I'd be disappointed if they tried to follow the books, because I know they would fall short.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: August 02, 2017, 05:43:06 AM

We already knew that this was going to be the next cycle of Roland and the Dark Tower didn't we? I figure that if it flops it'll be because 90% of the audience won't know the backstory.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: August 02, 2017, 08:24:17 AM

I am 100% baffled at why Hollywood hires Akiva Goldsman so often. His movies often underperform, usually to the point that the intellectual property they were trying to develop loses most of its value. He's like an anti-Midas, but he's constantly employed.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: August 02, 2017, 08:26:36 AM

It's because they think he's that dude from The Lonely Island.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: August 02, 2017, 09:13:40 AM

We already knew that this was going to be the next cycle of Roland and the Dark Tower didn't we? I figure that if it flops it'll be because 90% of the audience won't know the backstory.

I think it's the opposite. Knowing the backstory will be an impediment, not a benefit here. As far as I can tell, they are taking three elements from the books (Gunslinger as a Fantasy Chivalrous Knight analogue --but with guns instead of swords, a kid from our world, and The Man in Black). Again, as far as I can tell the relationship between them is totally rewritten, as is the way and means that the Man in Black is a threat and "Must Be Stopped(tm)."

It's not quite Lawnmower Man, but it might come close.

And again again, I'm basing this off a trailer that I was actually trying not to watch, and the final movie might be totally entertaining, but it sure as hell doesn't look like the epic saga that King envisioned.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: August 02, 2017, 09:15:13 AM

I saw the trailer a week ago in the theater and thought 'that looks like it could be a good movie but not necessarily a good Dark Tower movie'.  Didn't this idea start out as a TV series?  I would have preferred that, would have let them follow the IP better.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: August 02, 2017, 09:27:25 AM

I saw the trailer a week ago in the theater and thought 'that looks like it could be a good movie but not necessarily a good Dark Tower movie'.  Didn't this idea start out as a TV series?  I would have preferred that, would have let them follow the IP better.

Yeah, this IP would have rocked given the Westworld or Game of Thrones treatment, or even Netflix's MCU. Easily enough material to cover five or more seasons -- damn, now I'm missing that it probably won't be.

But who knows? If the movie does well I could see HBO or one of the others taking it up for the future.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: August 02, 2017, 07:14:47 PM

They could just follow the dumb meta from the later books and have King show up in the last part of the movie and say, "I hate this version a lot, I'm going to remake it" and then everyone dies and the movie ends. Could explain the short running time.
schild
Administrator

Reply #99 on: August 02, 2017, 08:44:43 PM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #100 on: August 02, 2017, 08:55:27 PM

There is a TV series still in the works (for now).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_%282017_film%29#Follow-up_TV_series
schild
Administrator

Reply #101 on: August 02, 2017, 09:27:10 PM

Given the reviews I'd wager that's gonna get shelved.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #102 on: August 03, 2017, 02:10:50 AM

Really don't know why they just didn't pitch it to HBO, Starz, or who ever to do a long running high budget series, which have been all the rage the last decade........

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #103 on: August 03, 2017, 03:07:06 AM

I've seen much worse movies, and probably even a few that came out this year if I were to spend the time thinking about it. That said it was a mess and would probably be almost meaningless to anybody who isn't familiar with the story. Even having read all the books, it's not a good movie.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #104 on: August 03, 2017, 08:37:35 AM

Really don't know why they just didn't pitch it to HBO, Starz, or who ever to do a long running high budget series, which have been all the rage the last decade........

I think they tried and Ron Howard was attached to that very concept for a while. They would release two bookend movies sandwiched around a TV series. For some reason, that got shitcanned, probably because no one wanted to commit that much money behind it over that long a haul.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Dark Tower  
Jump to: