Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:02:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Things You Wish You Knew as A New Pilot 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things You Wish You Knew as A New Pilot  (Read 4384 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

on: August 25, 2010, 02:35:29 PM

I always found these threads super helpful in other games. Was hoping some of you could chip in here.

Although I'm still new one thing I wish I knew sooner:

Its much faster when doing a series of jumps to do it manually that with autopilot. If you have your destination set, the next Stargate will show up yellow on your overview. This way you can right click on it and click "Warp to 0". This is safer, and much much quicker.

On your assets tab, you can see the locations of all your "stuff" thats scattered in different stations.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 02:41:54 PM

Manually jumping is not only faster, but safer.  You can be killed anywhere in EVE, even high sec, and being afk is not very wise, esp. if you have an expensive ship/parts or transporting valuable stuff.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 03:39:42 PM

how do you get killed in high sec actually?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 03:53:51 PM

You can get suicide ganked, which is when people inflict enough damage, either alone or in a group, before Concord shows up.

You can get tricked into getting flagged by someone, giving them rights to shoot you until you're a pod. This is usually done via can-flipping.

You can simply die to wardecs (war declarations), where people pay to have a right to shoot and pod you and your corp/alliance where ever you may be in space.

You can die using smartbombs like a recent Paladin pilot demonstrated.

You can accidentally autopilot into low-sec when CCP messes up after a patch and bugs the settings.

You can accidentally warp into a system where you have -5 faction standing so the Navy blows you up before you realize what the fuck (check my recent entries in the "I'm a Retard" thread).

You can die to a person who happened to come across you while having a kill right on you from some stuff you did a month or so ago that you forgot about already.

Off the top of my head.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 04:18:32 PM

Open buy orders for non-minerals in less-populated regions almost always severely low-ball the actual value of those items in major markets.  Find out what the "exportable" (worth much more than mineral value) drops for your rat type are and store them up for big market runs.  Train the skills for a T1 industrial so you don't have to take those crappy prices because it would take too long to haul them to market in your cruiser.

Don't buy skillbooks that aren't sold by NPC's in your region unless you know the price is fair.

Don't fly ships that you can't replace 2-3 times over.  Better yet, use your industrial to bring all of the bits needed to fit those ships to your staging base so that losing a ship doesn't mean a couple of hours of tracking them down on the market.

If you can stand "spreadsheet hell", look for ways to make money strictly off the market, and train the appropriate skills.  Most of the richest players in the game got that way without producing or killing *anything*, but simply buying and selling, sometimes moving things in between.  Remember that the market is hard-core PvP with no safety net.  A new gimmick can make you money hand over fist, and old niches are constantly evolving as their occupants find new gimmicks and vacate their old ones.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 04:31:05 PM

Set your autopilot to Prefer Safest Route so you can avoid lowsec and other areas where there are no penalties for the guy wants to kill you.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 05:04:52 PM

Its much faster when doing a series of jumps to do it manually that with autopilot. If you have your destination set, the next Stargate will show up yellow on your overview. This way you can right click on it and click "Warp to 0". This is safer, and much much quicker.

When I started there was no warp to 0...

Hic sunt dracones.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 06:00:13 PM

I wish I would have known that the billionaire in Jita who is quitting and giving away all of his ISK really meant it.  I always thought it was a scam, and then one day I sent Bluszcz 500mil ISK in Jita after a huge gank and I didn't care about the money, and he sent me 1.5bil back!

Also, it's really easy to buy systems, I got my small empire corp our own constellation in Delve for a couple hundred mil, and the seller was even nice enough to jump-freighter all of our assets for us so that we didn't need to worry about dying on the way and losing our stuff.  I would have hated to lose my faction fit ratting raven, and flying all the way there would have been super dangerous.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 06:59:14 PM

I will crosspost mine from somewhere else:

Do the tutorial, this is one of the few games where you really do need to do it. Try to read the welcome pages a bit before turning them off forever.

The character name you choose should ideally start with a letter form the low range of the alphabet like s or t. This is because if you get into pvp in large fleet battles the commanders will often tell everyone to sort alphabetically and shoot a-z. People with names that start with numbers or 'a' almost always die first.

Starting race and choices don't matter anymore because you can respec your core attributes. Most people are caldari because that used to be the best min/max route statwise by a long shot but now you are free to choose whoever you like based on looks or whatever criteria you choose. When you start you are given two respecs, use one at the beggining to optimize your training up the learning skills then once those are done you may want to use the other to set the best attributes for whatever skill route you will be taking. Use evemon to do this, it will tell you which stats to choose to save the most time. Once the first two remaps are done you don't get to do another for a full year so don't screw them up.

Anyone can steal out of your loot cans, wrecks or cans you jettison. If you are mining into a secure can they can even steal the whole can unless it is "anchored" which can't be done in the most secure space.

Any wrecks that are yellow mean they belong to someone else, you can steal from it but then the owner is allowed to shoot you. This is often used to blow up newbees who don't know better, other players will put wrecks on station undocks hoping you take from them.

Training the learning skills, while boring, is an essential investment. It will wind up cutting the amount of time needed to train skills quite substantially.

Plug in some +3 implants in slots 1-4 early. They cost around 11mil each and will have the word "basic" in them, check the info and make sure it will give you +3 attributes for the slot. You will need to train one point of cybernetics to plug these in, you can now get that book while working through the tutorial.

In the market screen you need to sort both sellers and buyers by price. This way you can see the best prices but more importantly it makes being scammed harder. Almost every item in eve has people selling for 1000x more than normal price and buying for 1000x less. If you aren't careful you could wind up buying a 1000isk item for one million. Always look at the confirmation screen before clicking.

When buying stuff be sure that the item is either in the station you are at or close by. You can easily buy something that is actually 16jumps away in hostile territory if you don't look.

Jita 4-4 Caldari assembly plant is the main market hub of the game, if you are buying stuff it will often have the best price. The system often holds about 1000 people at any point in the day so it can get kind of laggy.

Assume everyone is out to scam, cheat or kill you. They probably are, it is completely allowed in eve. Don't join a fleet with anyone you don't know.

Turn off your cspa charges. CCP (the developers) put in a charge that people have to pay to start conversations with other people to try and stop bot spammers. It is annoying and if you still have it turned on it flags you as new to the game. Turn it off by opening up mail and clicking on the tiny white triangle in the upper left. Then choose settings and set cspa charges to 0.

Look at the optimal range of your guns then while in space right click the orbit button (up in the right where the target, look at, warp buttons are) and set your default orbit to be a little less than your guns' optimal ranges. When fighting you should always try and orbit your targets, it makes you harder to hit and keeps you in gun range.

Lowsec is any system between 0.1 and 0.4 security. Concord (the "space police") won't come and help you there so people can blow you up and vice versa without fear. 0.5 to 1.0 is considered high sec and if someone shoots you without being allowed to they are guaranteed to be destroyed by concord (although they could still kill you before they show up, they show up very fast in 1.0 and a few seconds later in 0.5).

Shooting anyone in 0.1 to 1.0 space lowers your security rating, eventually you will be labeled a pirate and not be allowed to fly through high sec without being shot at by both npcs and players. Being a pirate is a viable career route and there are many corporations who only do this.

Inside of the ships you are actually inside of what is called a pod. If your ship gets blown up you will be floating outside in your pod. NPC ships will not fire on a pod but players can, it would be very rare for someone to blow up your pod in highsec because the security rating is much, much higher than ship destruction but to be safe you should always at least fly around in you rookie ship or buy a shuttle for < 10,000isk.

You can get a new rookie ship for free automatically by going to any station in your pod where you don't already own a ship.

Shuttles have no guns but they are cheap, fast and provide a layer of protection for your pod. They only have 10m^2 of cargo room so are only good for carrying books and implants.

Nullsec is 0.0 security where you can kill anyone and your security rating doesn't get affected. I'll talk about this more later if anyone sticks around to go there. Most systems in the game are actually 0.0 but it is sparsely populated because most players won't go there. Most won't go into lowsec either.

Press f10 to bring up the galaxy map, choose the flatten option or the map is worthless. Now go to autopilot settings and make sure you are set to choose safest (this is now default I think). If you have choose shortest it will take shortcuts through low sec where older players camp gates hoping to kill people who don't know better.

Put a couple points into each of the navigation skills to start, a point or two won't take long and the effects are well worth it for speed, agility and warping. You will eventually want to train these to at least 4/5.

Since you should have received some money from me I honestly wouldn't bother looting any of the wrecks you will get in the tutorial or level 1 missions, it doesn't add up to much. Loot also doesn't work like other mmos really. The only chance you have of looting rare high quality stuff is in low or null sec from belt rats and complexes.

After the learning skills there are some core fitting skills you should get so that you can equip your ship properly. These include engineering, electronics, hull upgrades, mechanic and capacitor skills.

Any equipment labeled civilian is quite bad and should be replaced once you get out of the rookie ship. Civilian guns don't need ammo but all other guns do so when you upgrade don't forget to buy ammo.

You can target enemies from the overview by holding control and double clicking them. You typically want to sort by distance and kill those closest to you first.

You can group your guns by unloading the ammo and shift dragging the icons on top of each other.

To clean up your display you can also click on the little triangle by your hud and choose hide unactivatable items.

For your hud the top set of bars are shield, then armor and then hull. The gold bars in the middle are your capacitor (energy).

Each ship has a certain number of low, mid and high slots. These are where you put your equipment. A good way to find sensible layouts are to open up evemon, open up any plan and select the ships tab. Select the ship you are interested in and there will be a link to show loadout fittings from battleclinic.com. There you can see rated fits for your ship. Most will be absurdly overpriced special snowflake nonsense that don't make sense but you want to look for people who call their fits low skill.

In general high slots are where you put your weapons, mid slots are for shields and shield hardeners, low slots are for armor. Each item you fit to your ship will take up an amount of cpu and powergrid and you have to work within that limit. There are numerous skills to increase or save cpu and grid.

High slots will have a certain number of launcher and turret hardpoints. This is the maximum number of launchers or turrets you can fit on the ship. Just because a ship has six high slots doesn't mean you can put six guns or missile launchers on there, you have to check the hardpoints.

In whichever class of ship you are at be sure to train it to the maximum. Don't stop at caldari cruiser two so that you can fly a caracal for example. Keep training it because all ships get very nice bonuses for higher levels of ship skill.

Interestingly, bigger ships aren't always better. If you train up to a battleship very fast to do level one missions you will be disappointed because it will take a very long time to kill the enemies. Big ships are bad at tracking little ships because their guns swivel so slowly. A fast frigate can orbit a battleship at 1000meters and probably never get hit because the big ship just can't aim fast enough. Battleships carry small computer controlled drones to deal with close small stuff though.

You can fly any race's ships and you don't have to worry about them shooting you if you fly through their highsec areas (at the start). Eventually if you say, run a lot of Caldari missions and gain faction with them, the Gallente will start to dislike you but you have to run a lot of missions before they start shooting and by then you will know what you are doing.

There are different types of ammo, they will basically trade damage for range so they affect your optimal range.

Your typical ship progression will be rookie ship -> frigate -> cruiser -> battlecruiser -> battleship. There is also a destroyer class that could be fit in between frigate and cruiser but most people don't bother unless they want to fly certain PvP ships called interdictors which you can do later on.

Missiles are good for PvE because you can choose the type of damage they do to fit what you are up against in advance and because you don't have to worry about optimal ranges, so long as the missile has the range it will hit what you shoot at. They are bad for PvP because in the larger ships they take so long to hit the target that by the time it gets there the enemy might have warped off, been blown up or moved out of range. This is primarily a problem for battleships which are the main force of most large scale PvP engagements. There are smaller ships which are perfectly good with missiles though. The caracal is a great cruiser and the drake is a very tough to kill battlecruiser. For starting level one missions the kestral is also a very nice missile boat.

Guns are of course also good but they mostly do one type of damage (based on which race's guns you are using) and you have to worry about optimal ranges much more. Each racial gun type (hybrid, projectile, laser) have two options for each size of gun (small for frigates, medium for cruisers, large for battleships). One will be a close range gun with high damage and the other will trade damage for being able to shoot further out. There are myriad ways to decide which is best based on a situation. Unlike missiles guns need to be within their optimal range. Too far out and of course you won't hit but you will also get into trouble if you are too close and are using the long range guns. Long range guns lose accuracy and tracking speed once you get too close and will start to miss your target entirely. Their instant damage and flexibility make guns a better PvP choice overall.

Don't mix your gun types because it screws up optimals and such. Don't mix lasers with hybrid, don't mix short range guns with long range guns. The one exception to this is that many ships use both guns and missiles and then you should try to make sure that they are both utilized. In general if you want to use, say a 75mm gatling gun, then all your turrets should be 75mm gatling guns.

If you choose missiles you need to put at least one or two points into the missile support skills that affect missile speed, damage, signature. Guns have a different set of support skills and will also need to be trained.

Many ships have drone bays where you can put (typically) up to five drones. Drones are small ships that you can deploy and command to attack enemies. They are a little difficult to get the hang of, when you first start using them you will lose quite a few as you cheerfully warp away while forgetting to tell the drones to come back to your ship's drone hold. There are a lot of skills that affect drones and you probably don't really want to start using them until you are at least into battlecruisers. The one exception is if you really like gallente ships and want to use drones as your main damage provider.

One of the early choices you have to make is which race to specialize in. Eventually you can cross train and do them all but when you start the game it would be too much scattered training so just pick one and stick with it for a while. It is also important because racial ships use racial guns locking you into two very skill intensive training blocks.

Here are some racial generalizations. Caldari ships emphasize shields and missiles, they use hybrid guns which use some energy and ammo. Amarr ships are armor tankers and use lasers, lasers are nice because you don't run out of ammo and you don't have to reload. This can really make long boring PvP operations where you are shooting enemy installations easy. Minmatar ships are fast, might use either shield or armor tanks and use projectile guns. Gallente ships are mainly armor tanks that also use hybrid guns, they really like drones too.

Since both Caldari and Gallente use hybrid guns you can cross train to the other race's ship much more easily because you don't have to retrain the racial gun type.

Don't mix your racial ships and racial guns. As in don't put a bunch of lasers on your minmatar ship just because you like lasers, it doesn't make sense for a variety of reasons. Lasers only go on amarr, hybrid are caldari and gallente, projectile is strictly minmatar ships. All races use drones and missiles to varying extents.

As in other games eve is constantly being tweaked and the races ships fluctuate in viability but at this moment...

Caldari ships are the best for PvE but aren't too popular in PvP. Of all the races Caldari is the one race that does well at electronic warfare though, this is used in PvP to jam other ships so that they can't fire. That said the drake is a popular PvP ship for small fleets and the Roch is a good battleship but needs hybrid training instead of the skills caldari will normally have, missiles. Their missile based battleship is useless for pvp.

Gallente ships are currently out of favour, almost every other race has a ship that does better than the gallente equivalent. They have the best drone boats but drones boats aren't used as much as they used to be.

Amarr have some very solid ships. They have very good contenders in most every ship category but usually don't have the very best ship for a particular role.

Minmatar are the current flavor of the year. They have the best small ships and some great mid size ships. They used to suffer from a complete lack of useful battleships but one was recently buffed so now they have a really good battleship for the complete package.

Right now minmatar probably have the best ships. Their very best ships are skill intensive though, needing gunnery, missile and drone skills to achieve their full potential. If you want to train minmatar start with minmatar frigate and small projectile weapons.

And finally, when in doubt right click. Right click in space, on your capacitor, on buy orders. Almost everything has a sub menu through a right click. If you are trying to do something and don't know how, right click. If you think there must be a faster way to do something, right click.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 07:04:29 PM by Miasma »
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 06:45:24 AM

People with names that start with numbers or 'a' almost always die first.

Time to reroll.  ACK!

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 06:56:02 AM

Its not true 100% of the time but yeah "Sort by Name" is a fairly common FC order.

Hic sunt dracones.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 12:08:17 PM

Or "Reverse Alphabetical"
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 12:18:39 PM

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Things You Wish You Knew as A New Pilot  
Jump to: