Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:46:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Bioshock: Infinite 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bioshock: Infinite  (Read 82665 times)
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

on: August 12, 2010, 12:07:33 PM

Irrational announced a new game today. BIOSHOCK IN SPAAA... errr... AIIIIIRRR...

http://www.whatisicarus.com/

I liked the first game, haven't played the sequel, but I have to say I really like the flavor of this one.

I will say... Infinite is a stupid, stupid name.

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 12:12:19 PM

It's dead, Jim. No matter how much you hump it, it's still going to be a corpse at the end.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 12:14:21 PM

I am always prepared to give Jules Verne-y adventure whatnot a tentative thumbs up. I'm not sure I understand how the timeline with all of this business works though.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 12:18:09 PM

I'm kinda scratching my head. So they're literally just making a new Bioshock but doing a 180 on the nature of its graphical theme, location, and gameplay style? Is there a reason I should give a shit?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 12:21:49 PM

I'm kinda scratching my head. So they're literally just making a new Bioshock but doing a 180 on the nature of its graphical theme, location, and gameplay style? Is there a reason I should give a shit?

How is the gameplay changing?

beer geek.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 12:22:34 PM

meh
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 12:34:01 PM

The setting should come as no surprise to anyone, since Irrational (or Levine in particular) talked about a series of Bioshock sequels with radically different themed settings, including this aerial one.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 12:35:26 PM

You know what would be awesome! One in space with some sort of AI computer that has gone crazy...

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 12:38:29 PM

You know what would be awesome! One in space with some sort of AI computer that has gone crazy...
You are just saying that because you are a pathetic bag of meat.

"Me am play gods"
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 12:41:15 PM

How is the gameplay changing?
It's a partner-type game instead of a solo survival horror type of experience. I didn't say the genre was changing, just how you played it.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 12:46:24 PM

I didn't say you said the genre was changing either. :P I was asking speicfically about the gameplay. It's not Co-Op, so I dunno. Where did you read this, just out of curiosity.

beer geek.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 01:14:14 PM

I didn't say you said the genre was changing either. :P I was asking speicfically about the gameplay. It's not Co-Op, so I dunno. Where did you read this, just out of curiosity.
Rock Paper Shotgun has an interview regarding the game.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/12/irrational-anthem-their-new-game-unveiled/#more-35781

Arriving, you discover that she’s not exactly a pure victim. She’s enormously powerful, and she’s caught in the middle of the storm which is tearing apart Columbia. You have to escape, together, and combine your abilities to do so.

Obvious changes first. You aren’t the blank cipher. This time around, you’re playing a character with a distinct personality. Secondly, you aren’t alone. This isn’t the lonely isolation of System Shock 2. This is a game where much of the time you have an equal partner in surviving this crazed world. In fact, it’s not about lonely isolation full stop. The inhabitants of Columbia seem as wired and demented as the Splicers of Rapture, but it’s a different sort of dementia.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 01:17:41 PM

I'm still not seeing a lot of gameplay change from that. Just have  a party member, I guess. Sounds like you'll switch between the two characters for different parts of the games/puzzles.

beer geek.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 01:23:20 PM

It almost kinda sorta sounds like Bioshock + Ico. That is not the worst idea I've ever heard.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 01:44:58 PM

I'm not sure Bioshock + anything is a good idea anymore.

-Rasix
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 01:50:25 PM

for what it's worth, this is Irrational. The people who did the first game, and not the sequel.

beer geek.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 01:55:41 PM

It's only been 6 months since Bioshock 2 came out.  They really needed to wait longer before announcing this.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 03:04:05 PM

Do I get to play as a fucking vending machine in this one?   awesome, for real

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 06:14:27 PM

How much is gameplay really different on these shooters? 

If it looks like a decent story I'll play it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 06:24:43 AM

This is the Bioshock 2 Ken Levine wanted to make. And Ken Levine is making it. Ego can make pretty good games sometimes.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 06:40:41 AM

So, instead of a city filled with white crazy drug addicts with Spooky powers, you will be facing an entire country filled with brown crazy south Americans. Who are presumably drug addicts with spooky powers.

This can only end well  swamp poop

Hic sunt dracones.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 06:54:16 AM

I liked the shot looking under the building with the air balloons and such.  That one gave me 'wow'.  I had fun with the first one, but never played the second due to GFWL issues. 
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 07:27:07 AM

I like Irrational.

I like airships.

I'm in.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 08:44:11 AM

I like Irrational.

I like airships.

I'm in.

Thats pretty much how I feel.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 10:42:17 AM

for what it's worth, this is Irrational. The people who did the first game, and not the sequel.

I couldn't bring myself to finish Bioshock 1. It just grated on me in every possible way.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 11:26:23 AM

The worst part was the end anyway.

"You have to become a big daddy. Because you do. Oh and fight off hordes of splicers who are coming for the brat we provide for you while she sucks a corpse." "Can I say 'Fuck you if I'm doing that to myself, you demented witch'" "No" "Uh, ok *lacerates his voicebox*"
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 04:37:48 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 07:21:30 AM

I'll likely give this a shot, although the trailer is a very weak version of the excellent BioShock one.

While we're on the subject of games with airships, there was an RTS / management game on the Amiga set in a world where you'd build airship armadas to fight and it would then go into a shooter-style game where you'd man the ballistas. Also you had to keep the population fed, happy and entertained, or end up assassinated the bath. Anyone know the name of that game? I enjoyed it, but can never remember the title.

MumRaww
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 06:29:08 AM

I really hate the name.

I really like the setting. Against the Day, The Devil in the White City and all. I also like airships and floating cities.

I really don't like depending on an NPC for gameplay.

When the game was released I had some more thoughts but I've forgotten them now. The game will most likely be great but I would be more excited if it was set on the moon.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010, 10:17:21 PM

I will consider it a missed opportunity if I cannot jump off into space the minute I load up the game.

It'd be like that Samurai game where you leave the village as soon as you arrive. "Fuck this!"

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 20, 2010, 11:00:19 PM

The game will most likely be great but I would be more excited if it was set on the moon.

How so?  Last I played, Bioshock wasn't some explorable sandbox world or something, it was a linear FPS.  The only difference between Bioshock Under The Sea and Bioshock In Space is the scenery outside the windows.  Bioshock and the World of Tomorrow might at least allow for some new elements since the cities don't have to be enclosed.  I'm just worried that those new elements are going to be some form of instant death jumping puzzles.
MumRaww
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 21, 2010, 04:28:03 AM

The game will most likely be great but I would be more excited if it was set on the moon.

How so?  Last I played, Bioshock wasn't some explorable sandbox world or something, it was a linear FPS.  The only difference between Bioshock Under The Sea and Bioshock In Space is the scenery outside the windows.  Bioshock and the World of Tomorrow might at least allow for some new elements since the cities don't have to be enclosed.  I'm just worried that those new elements are going to be some form of instant death jumping puzzles.

I just think that the Irrational Games take on Raygun Gothic could be pretty incredible.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 21, 2010, 09:21:59 AM

Bioshock portal

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 02:07:36 PM

Ten minutes of footage purporting to be gameplay. I think there might be some metaphors about modern politics, but it's subtle.

I bet Elizabeth would have an easier time catching her breath if she wasn't wearing a corset.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 02:38:13 PM

Ten minutes of footage purporting to be gameplay. I think there might be some metaphors about modern politics, but it's subtle.

Needs more green.  awesome, for real

Still, that little clip got me actually interested in this game again.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #34 on: September 24, 2010, 03:46:02 PM

Every time I watch that trailer the sheer stupidity of a hot-air balloon city takes me right out of it.

Shit, I know you couldn't create Rapture with actual 1950's technology but at least "city under the sea" kinda makes sense in some ways.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Bioshock: Infinite  
Jump to: