Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:18:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010/11 Football (soccer) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010/11 Football (soccer)  (Read 67781 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: July 23, 2011, 11:43:42 AM

So Bin Hamman has been banned for life for trying to buy the election from Blatter:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14262937.stm

How long until they pull the cup from Qatar for the same reason?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #281 on: July 23, 2011, 01:10:09 PM

Hopefully in about 10 minutes.  I can't fathom keeping it there.   swamp poop
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: July 25, 2011, 09:17:21 AM

Qatar seems to be the one thing that is uniting soccer worldwide. Pretty much nobody thinks its a good idea bar the people that voted.

Hell it might be entertaining watching teams trying to lose games rather than go there.

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #283 on: July 25, 2011, 09:29:47 AM

Qatar seems to be the one thing that is uniting soccer worldwide. Pretty much nobody thinks its a good idea bar the people that voted paid for it.

Fixed that for you.

Yeah, playing a World Cup in Qatar in the goddamn summer is pants on head retarded. You'll need IV breaks twice a fucking half, not to mention the fact that their stadiums probably aren't anywhere near world competition level. I find it funny that Sepp banned Bin Hamman for life - that fucker's about as corrupt as they come.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #284 on: July 25, 2011, 11:35:53 AM

Is it ever not "summer" there?  I assumed it was hot all the time.
WayAbvPar

Reply #285 on: July 25, 2011, 12:39:27 PM

Been out of town since Thursday morning, so this a bit late, but-

Got to see my 2nd live Manchester United hat trick (other RVN in 2003) Wednesday night. I didn't mind that they were running circles around my Sounders, since I love both teams and it was a joy to see the guys really doing their thing. Kind of dirty pool from SAF to save Rooney for the 2nd half after the mass subs though, the bastard!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
WayAbvPar

Reply #286 on: July 28, 2011, 12:53:17 PM

Bob Bradley shitcanned.

FINALLY! The guy has been an anchor around the program for years. Sunil needs to go too, but one step at a time. Hopefully they will hire a foreign coach.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #287 on: July 28, 2011, 12:59:41 PM

The best contribution Bradley made to the US team was Michael Bradley.  why so serious?

Meh, I didn't mind him so much, but he really seemed incapable of developing defenders of an international quality level.

WayAbvPar

Reply #288 on: July 28, 2011, 01:01:38 PM

His team selection and lineups were atrocious. No way players like Buddle or the little fast guy who dribbles out of touch every chance he gets (blanking on his name) should have been on the WC roster. And Sacha Klestjan...god he is so bad and BB loves him.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #289 on: July 28, 2011, 01:04:37 PM

Which guy, Bedoya?

As for Klestjan, if you saw his performances for Chivas USA in the MLS, you'd think he was ready for the big-time too. The World Cup proved he really, really wasn't, at least not the way Bradley used him.

WayAbvPar

Reply #290 on: July 28, 2011, 01:08:42 PM

He has stepped on his dick every chance he gets with the national team, although he wasn't quite as bad as usual against Mexico in the Gold Cup (his teammates were more than bad enough to make up for him of course).

Robbie Findley was who I was thinking of. And I forgot about DaMarcus Beasley and Ricardo Clark.  ACK!

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #291 on: July 28, 2011, 01:35:16 PM

Jurgen Klinsmann time? awesome, for real
WayAbvPar

Reply #292 on: July 28, 2011, 02:06:50 PM

Rumors are saying it won't be a surprise name, so that sounds likely.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #293 on: July 28, 2011, 02:58:09 PM

I'd maintain that Ricardo Clark wasn't a bad idea, with some good coaching and seasoning he could turn into a respectable defensive mid. He has the speed and the willingness to get stuck in but he did get caught watching far too often in 2010.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #294 on: July 28, 2011, 03:02:10 PM

Problem I saw with Clark was he was a defensive mid standing alongside another defensive mid. Michael Bradley does get forward some but I wouldn't exactly call him an attacking mid. So in a 4-4-2 it was two defensive mids, Dempsey and Donovan on the wings and whoever was up top and not enough knitting down the center of the pitch. Feilhaber would have been a better choice alongside Clarke (or with Bradley talking the Clarke role).

WayAbvPar

Reply #295 on: July 28, 2011, 03:42:53 PM

You can have all the athleticism in the world and still be terrible. His brain (or lack thereof) is the problem. Terrible terrible judgement, never in position, etc.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: July 29, 2011, 04:34:39 PM

Annnd we get the Baker's Boy.

The key is going to be who he picks for a staff. I'm hoping he gives Claudio Reyna the freedom to continue the work that he's just started.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: July 30, 2011, 07:06:16 PM

You can have all the athleticism in the world and still be terrible. His brain (or lack thereof) is the problem. Terrible terrible judgement, never in position, etc.

One of the problems is the level. The English and the Spanish top leagues move the ball really fast, much faster than in the lower leagues. Over here we quite often see a player from the Championship or lower who was magnificent turn out to be utterly unable to cope in the top league.

I think the same disparity may exist in the USA domestic leagues with regard to international football. Defenders who have perfectly good anticipation and reactions at a lower level might fail to rise to a game played more quickly.

The only real solution for the USA is to get defenders playing in some of the top EU leagues. From what I've seen of your national side the players who have played in the Premier League (eg Howard, Donovan and Dempsey) seemed much more comfortable with the demands of the international game. This may be in progress - you guys do have a squad of young defenders who mostly play in Europe according to Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_men%27s_national_soccer_team

That page also confirms Klinsmann as your coach.

I think you may have a pretty decent 2012 World Cup if people like Eric Lichaj can get regular places in their club sides.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #298 on: July 30, 2011, 09:30:19 PM

Right now, I'd rate the US domestic league (MLS) somewhere between the English Championship and League One. Real Salt Lake and the Galaxy could probably hang mid-table in the Championship, though a side like Chicago (sad panda) or Vancouver would struggle in League One. Though I think we turn out good goalkeepers, our defense just don't get it and I can't figure out why.

Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: August 03, 2011, 01:36:06 AM

Perhaps because defenders need a more profound understanding of the game. Goalkeeping is mainly just catching and figuring out when to stick and when to come. Attacking is trying little tricks and tactics, to people brought up on American Football you're probably better at that than us Europeans as that's a much more tactical game that is analysed very cleverly in the TV coverage. (Certainly American attackers seem generally to be very clever players).

But for defending there's no substitute for having played soccer all your life. You need to see patterns.

I suspect you have a generation coming through that are sufficiently immersed. When did you host the World Cup? 94? Kids born then will be 17 now.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: August 03, 2011, 10:26:36 AM

I suspect you have a generation coming through that are sufficiently immersed. When did you host the World Cup? 94? Kids born then will be 17 now.

The problem is not people picking up soccer at a young age. Even in the 1980s when I was growing up practically every kid played soccer. The U.S. has had extremely high numbers of youth soccer players for 30 years. The problem has always been that children in the U.S. stop playing soccer when they get to their early teens. That mass exodus from the game really has not changed considerably even since 1994. Soccer is still a program that is not offered to teenagers as a viable athletic activity.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #301 on: August 03, 2011, 10:34:54 AM

I read an article the other day discussing how soccer was not a serious sport for folks in the US.  I think that supports your point very well, Chimpy.  I can't tell you the number of kids that I see that drop soccer when they hit middle school to play football or basketball.  American football is king. 
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #302 on: August 03, 2011, 10:52:56 AM

Goalkeeping is mainly just catching and figuring out when to stick and when to come.
I think you're downplaying the role of the goalkeeper a bit there. Goalkeeping is as much about keeping the defense focused and aware of potential dangers, having a "commanding presence" in the box and even starting attacks as it is about "catching the ball".

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: August 03, 2011, 01:50:50 PM

They jumped out of the womb with Vuvuzela in their mouth.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010/11 Football (soccer)  
Jump to: