Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:48:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: College Basketball 2010 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: College Basketball 2010  (Read 15272 times)
ghost
The Dentist

on: July 30, 2010, 07:20:31 AM

It's probably worth starting a discussion about this as it's coming up soon.  Let's start things off with a bang.

Bad Lute Olson......Bad

"You take very seriously the sanctions the institution self imposes, then you weigh that against the gravity of the case and you make a decision whether additional penalties should be imposed," said former Miami AD Paul Dee, chair of the NCAA's infractions committee. "We were pleased that they self imposed what they did, but we went further."

-isn't putting the former Miami AD in charge of NCAA infractions committee kind of like putting Iran in charge of the Human Rights Commission at the UN?
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 07:28:21 AM

Vacating wins is the most limp-dicked move by the NCAA. Nobody will care in 20 years when somebody else is setting new records, and the people that played on the teams will still be able to say, "So what? They can't take the wins away, I was there."

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 07:57:06 AM

True, but there is a lot of emphasis in college basketball on record books.  The most wins in a season is quite important to the fans and leads to bragging rights, which helps recruiting.  Take 33 wins from Kentucky and North Carolina passes them........
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 09:11:44 AM

Lute may have built the program into a national powerhouse, but he sure tore it down when he left.  Before we got Sean Miller, we didn't have any recruiting classes for like 3 straight years. Last year's class was mostly people jumping ship from USC.

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 10:43:36 AM

I am not looking forward to this season, Cal's entire starting lineup either graduated or got kicked off the team.  Heartbreak

I mean, we still have Gutierrez to annoy the shit out of everyone we play against, but that's not really going to do it.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 12:55:45 PM

Sean Miller is going to be an absoLute DRILLING AND MANLINESS force in Arizona.  He's a great coach.  You should be very happy that you got him instead of the other candidates out there.  

Edit:  Pitino should retire
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 07:08:04 PM by ghost »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 09:34:17 AM

Player booted from BYU's team for having sex

Man the Mormons are a fun bunch, aren't they?  How interesting that this kid is one of what, probably 10 African-Americans on campus.  I wonder if his girlfriend is white.  That would fit right in with this scenario. 
WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 10:11:35 AM

Player booted from BYU's team for having sex

Man the Mormons are a fun bunch, aren't they?  How interesting that this kid is one of what, probably 10 African-Americans on campus.  I wonder if his girlfriend is white.  That would fit right in with this scenario. 

Wow, they found a way to make me loathe BYU even more. I wasn't sure that was possible.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 11:00:13 AM

Player booted from BYU's team for having sex.  

Man the Mormons are a fun bunch, aren't they?  How interesting that this kid is one of what, probably 10 African-Americans on campus.  I wonder if his girlfriend is white.  That would fit right in with this scenario.  

Odds are 99.99999% sure she's white based soley on demographics.

Also, being against premarital sex myself, I understand the principle for the policy, but I would never try to expand it to a population as a whole or use it as a rock to bludgeon others. I'll also preface this by saying that I am EXTREMELY anti-mormon and everything the CLDS pretends to stand for.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:04:19 AM by Paelos »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 11:38:36 AM

Given what a bullshit sort of 'offense' it was I'm guessing he'll have no problems finding a better situation to transfer to.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 11:42:22 AM

I'm completely aghast at how many people seem to think this was an okay thing for BYU to do.  The reasoning is that they're somehow upholding some sort of moral principle by taking away a guy's education.  Who has the moral high ground in that?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 12:05:09 PM

I'm completely aghast at how many people seem to think this was an okay thing for BYU to do.  The reasoning is that they're somehow upholding some sort of moral principle by taking away a guy's education.  Who has the moral high ground in that?

I don't think the policy is ok, but when you agree to a policy and give your word as a man, you have to expect repercussions to your actions.

Agree with it or not, he broke a contract with the University.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 01:05:39 PM

The entire policy thing they have is pretty insane, I'm still not sure how they manage to sucker non-Mormon athletes into putting up with it.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 07:28:04 PM

They are getting fewer non-LDS students these days as they used to let athletes slide (i.e. the Jim McMahon rule).  This guy is from Provo though, so he knew what he was getting into.  It does seem odd that the only people who seem to get busted and thrown out are e a somewhat darker shade of skin tone.  It's all based on other students ratting them out, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit of a selection bias going on.  The whole campus is a seething cauldron of repressed hormones though. The star QB just announced he is engaged. He is 19.  I also just learned about the concept of "docking" or "soaking" going on down there. Many have apparently convinced themselves that sticking your dick in the hoo-ha isn't really sex if you just let it sit in there.   We don't call it The Zoo for nothing.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 07:50:29 PM

ACK!

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 08:17:52 PM

WayAbvPar

Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 07:18:18 AM

Let's play a little game called 'Just the tip', to see how it feels.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 07:37:16 AM

Let's play a little game called 'Just the tip', to see how it feels.

Are they built for speed or for comfort? What'd you do with them? Motorboat? You play the motorboat? You motorboatin son of a bitch! You old sailor you! Where is she? She still in the house?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 08:50:16 AM

This is why this case sucks, Paelos.  It's hypocrisy to a tee, and likely it is racism as well. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 09:03:33 AM

This is why this case sucks, Paelos.  It's hypocrisy to a tee, and likely it is racism as well. 

You know what that says to me? Some kids aren't held to the same standard as others. Yeah, well that's life, get a fucking helmet. When you are in a position of high publicity, you have to watch your ass. That's something athletes who use twitter and get into trouble seem to constantly forget.

I give Davies credit for owning up to it. I don't blame the school for enforcing the policy the way they did. They said he was removed for an honor code violation. They didn't say why. It was leaked why. They reacted quickly because it is about upholding an image. That's an important thing. This kid's going to get a tough life lesson out of this, but he will be fine. He should just transfer and get on with his life.

Now, I take a different spin. If they went after this kid while other athletes, not just regular students, were knowingly flaunting the policy without reprecussions, that's criminal. That's blatant racial discrimination and the school should be sued for millions.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 09:17:40 AM

If they went after this kid while other athletes, not just regular students, were knowingly flaunting the policy without reprecussions, that's criminal.

There are rumblings that this is going on.  Like I said, it's odd how everyone who is kicked out happens to be either black or Polynesian.  Are they the only ones doing it, the only ones being ratted out, or the only ones being disciplined? No one knows because it is all so secretive. Supposedly there are some other names that are going to drop real soon.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 09:25:41 AM

Now, I take a different spin. If they went after this kid while other athletes, not just regular students, were knowingly flaunting the policy without reprecussions, that's criminal. That's blatant racial discrimination and the school should be sued for millions.

This guy was an athlete, but he was also a student at BYU.  He should be held to the same standard as every other student.  Just because he's more in the spotlight shouldn't make him more or less accountable to whatever shit-tastic "code" they have.  I don't agree with athletes getting special treatment, and I don't agree with them singling this guy out to make him a martyr for their crazy cause. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 09:32:21 AM

This discussion is going to veer dangerously into political territory. Before it does, I would just like to say a sarcastic kudos to yet another bunch of religious crazies for trying to make people live against their natural instincts.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 10:52:42 AM

This guy was an athlete, but he was also a student at BYU.  He should be held to the same standard as every other student.  Just because he's more in the spotlight shouldn't make him more or less accountable to whatever shit-tastic "code" they have.  I don't agree with athletes getting special treatment, and I don't agree with them singling this guy out to make him a martyr for their crazy cause. 

You live in a world of unicorns and rainbows, my friend.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 11:17:29 AM

Athletes at competitive programs get a different set of rules.  When Average-Joe student can pack the seats of the stadium every Saturday, then things will be equal. 

As to this story, it smacks of a cover reason for them to get rid of the kid.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 12:44:17 PM

You live in a world of unicorns and rainbows, my friend.

And that's news........?  Grin
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 04:22:45 AM

YA! Indiana State University made it to the dance this year, by winning the MVC as a #3 seed, we haven't been since 2001.  I still probably won't go see them, as I usually go and watch the Girls Basketball over the Boys.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 07:59:51 PM

Unfortunately my Georgia Bulldogs probably have to two wins in the SEC tournament in order to get a bid to the dance. If not, Alabama steals it from us, and they are terrible.

Not they we aren't also terrible, but dammit I haven't seen us play in the NCAA tourney since I was actually IN college.

WayAbvPar

Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 08:34:23 AM

Who's organizing the March Madness pool? Was it me last year? I can' t remember, since I was out of about 3 hours into the tourney.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 08:56:44 AM

I think you did. Someone needs to.  awesome, for real

WayAbvPar

Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 09:41:37 AM

I am sure I will be willing to get it going again...gimme until Sunday to make sure UW gets in  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

My wife has to burn some vacation before the end of March, so I told her I would take some of the days off with her. She picked the 17th and 18th...which just so happens to be the first two days of the tournament. So I will probably be ensconced in a lovely Irish or sports bar all day Thursday with the tourney going and as much Guinness as I can pour down my gullet. Sometimes life doesn't suck!

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 09:41:50 AM

I thought Paelos was going to set it up.  
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 09:52:44 AM

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Yeah I set one up.

Use this link http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/register/joinprivategroup_assign_team?GID=36298&P=georgia

ID 36298
P georgia

WayAbvPar

Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 10:03:03 AM

I will probably still do one on CBS Sportsline- I like their interface better, and it will probably give us another chance at some kind of prizes  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #34 on: March 08, 2011, 10:23:33 AM

I will probably still do one on CBS Sportsline- I like their interface better, and it will probably give us another chance at some kind of prizes  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Yep do one there two so we can cover our asses on bad brackets  awesome, for real

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: College Basketball 2010  
Jump to: