Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:22:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Sucker Punch 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sucker Punch  (Read 55202 times)
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

on: July 29, 2010, 09:34:05 PM

Apparently someone made a movie about EVERYTHING.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/suckerpunch/

I mean holy crap the only way these strippers can escape the mental hospital is by using their imagination to fight samurai and giant robots in WW2 with dragons and shit.  ACK! OR SOMETHING.

Practically a year away, but damn if that trailer isn't the greatest thing ever.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 10:39:23 PM

Honestly, this movie will either cement the director as a god or it will begin his slide to M Night status.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 10:43:00 PM

Yeah, I think I'll have to schedule that day off work.  Looks awesome.  And even if it's nowhere as good as the trailer, there's still killer strippers, so it's a win either way, really.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 03:20:20 AM

Honestly, this movie will either cement the director as a god or it will begin his slide to M Night status.

Or if it's only ok, maybe it will just cancel out the fact the he also directed "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole", which even for a kids movie looks underwhelming.

Snyder has been working on this movie for some time though, and unlike the other stuff he's directed (Dawn of the Dead remake, 300, and Watchmen) he's co-writing the screenplay and it isn't based off of a graphic novel or another movie.  Not sure if that's a good thing or not, but really the main thing that's had me skeptical about this movie was when they announced most of the cast around a year ago.   At the time, when all we had to go off of was a brief synopsis, I wasn't really sure that a large portion of the actresses they got would be able to pull it off.  The trailer looks much more action oriented than I was expecting though, so if they're only required to look good throughout most of the movie, it could end up working.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 09:12:49 AM

Looks too awesome for words.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 09:50:57 AM

Wow

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 10:00:24 AM

kk. I'm in.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 10:30:41 AM

Zack Snyder sure makes awesome movie trailers.  Not sure how you can go wrong with a giant samurai with a chain gun, however.

-Rasix
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 01:48:11 PM

I saw this the other day and I thought it was badass.  Then a dragon came out of no where and I was like, "huh?".  Then I though this movie was BADASS. Woooooo.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 02:04:00 PM

Can I have some more, please?

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:06:21 PM by Ard »
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 06:01:29 PM

I like the part where that chick's fighter plane gets bit in half by a dragon and she's STILL SHOOTING AT IT AND LAUGHING. And yet I have the feeling what's really happening is more awesome than what it looks like.

Oh who am I kidding. I like the part where the whole trailer happens.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 06:09:32 PM

Why the fuck are people still using quicktime?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 12:21:22 AM

Because Apple pays them to.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 03:10:56 AM

Well it is the apple website

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 06:54:14 AM

Goddamn quicktime means no full screen.  Screw you, Steve.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 01:01:34 PM

Is your menu bar or CTRL-F keys broken? Head scratch
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 06:55:36 PM

Is your menu bar or CTRL-F keys broken? Head scratch

What menu bar, it's quicktime plug-in I was bitching about. No menu bar, no CTRL-F.  Does quicktime pro allow that on the "Click to View" of the website?

I'll confess I didn't realize there was a download option until I just went back to check if I'd simply missed a menu bar or CTRL-F in QT for the last 8 years. Since most trailers don't have that option I didn't realize it was there. I now have a nice, large 1080P version. Whee, Dragons.  Time to put this on a USB and watch it on the TV.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 12:42:15 PM

Just look at the non-quicktime video on imdb or youtube.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 06:06:07 PM

I dunno. When I heard someone describe Scott Pilgrim, I was not impressed. When I saw the trailer, I was floored.

My experience with Sucker Punch was entirely the opposite.

Sounded awesome on paper, and even as I got to the Quicktime site and saw the background image I was ready to be thrilled. Then the trailer left me cold. The action all seems heartless and arbitrary. There's no soul and story to ground the over-the-top ideas, and I couldn't bring myself to care what I was seeing. Hell, that might turn out to be an advantage. Maybe they're saving the spoilers for the film itself. Great. Right now it looked like one messy, chaotic live-action cartoon.

Meh.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 05:19:15 AM

Where did fun touch you?  If it's too hard to tell us, just point to the place on the doll.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 01:05:56 PM

If they start explaining why the cute girls in miniskirts are going kung-fu on the giant robots, I'm walking out of the damn theater.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 03:43:52 PM

Hey, all I need is the weak coating of varnish that The Fifth Element called a plot. Too much sound and fury signifying nothing and I start wondering why I'm watching. It has to be in the service of something, and the fact that the Movie Gods didn't see fit to put any of that in the trailer makes me suspicious that it's not in the service of anything worth watching.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 06:17:56 PM

Just do what everyone else does when they run into something quicktime:

find it on youtube
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 10:57:48 PM

DO WANT.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 02:21:37 PM

Hey, all I need is the weak coating of varnish that The Fifth Element called a plot. Too much sound and fury signifying nothing and I start wondering why I'm watching. It has to be in the service of something, and the fact that the Movie Gods didn't see fit to put any of that in the trailer makes me suspicious that it's not in the service of anything worth watching.
The Rule of Cool cares not for your 'plot'.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 07:39:23 PM

Ha!  Bonus points for using Lords of Acid in the trailer.

Over and out.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 08:17:46 AM

It's not mindless actions I'm worried about, it's having a shit movie wrapped around pretty effects. I mean I felt very similar with 300, I thought going in it would be non stop badassery but after leaving the movie it felt sort of flat.  I still can't quite put my finger on why I didn't like 300 but this movie could very well go down the same path.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 09:07:08 AM

300 is not rewatchable. I enjoyed it the first time, but can not stand watching it now. It's just too much of the slow motion crap and too wrapped up in it's own gimmick.

That's why I really worry about this. Snyder has the opportunity to be a new George Lucas. If he doesn't filter his "creativity", it gets too wrapped up in it's own kitsch. His best two films were from using someone else's subject matter.

beer geek.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 02:35:27 AM

New trailer out.  More of the same kind of stuff shown in the first trailer.  Which is to say, awesome.

For those who prefer Youtube.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:41:42 AM by Velorath »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 08, 2010, 05:53:30 AM

A series of unfortunate hotties.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 05:58:34 AM

All hovering around the age of 14.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #31 on: November 08, 2010, 05:58:54 AM

I must trick the Mrs into watching this.  I had to watch sex and the city 2 the other night.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 07:32:26 AM

oh my.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #33 on: November 08, 2010, 03:32:16 PM

All hovering around the age of 14.
x2 (Abbie Cornish is 28)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #34 on: November 08, 2010, 05:13:00 PM

I must trick the Mrs into watching this.  I had to watch sex and the city 2 the other night.

If you were forced to suffer through that drek, how is it you have to "trick" the wife?  We have a deal, if I have to watch a chick flick, she has to watch a movie of my choosing.  I haven't had to watch a chick flick since I traded Starship Troopers for Titanic.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Sucker Punch  
Jump to: