Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:59:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Sucker Punch 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sucker Punch  (Read 55203 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #35 on: November 09, 2010, 01:09:20 AM

Are you saying your female friend is logical?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #36 on: November 09, 2010, 03:07:30 AM

All hovering around the age of 14.
x2 (Abbie Cornish is 28)

While she may be 28, she's and the rest of them are dressed up like they're 14. I'm six months away from 40. Considering how much shit I got for dating a 21-year-old when I was 36, even watching this movie for the hotties in schoolgirl uniforms factor officially puts me in this guy looks legit territory with lots of people that know me.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: November 09, 2010, 03:16:22 AM

While she may be 28, she's and the rest of them are dressed up like they're 14. I'm six months away from 40. Considering how much shit I got for dating a 21-year-old when I was 36, even watching this movie for the hotties in schoolgirl uniforms factor officially puts me in this guy looks legit territory with lots of people that know me.

The schoolgirl thing puts me off this for similar this guy looks legit reasons. I don't get the fascination with girls in school uniform - it always seems dubiously creepy to me.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #38 on: November 09, 2010, 03:23:16 AM

Are you saying your female friend is logical?

As logical as any other female.  The trick is to think the way they do, and use their own rules against 'em.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #39 on: November 09, 2010, 03:31:40 AM

Well despite having all the dvd boxes and liking the first film, she hated Sex and the City 2, so under her rules, I'm fairly sure it was all somehow my fault.

I'll stick to trickery, I got her to see Kick-Ass which she enjoyed, so figure I'll come up with a way of comparing Sucker Punch to that or maybe tell her one of the girls in this is having an affair with Jamie Oliver.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 09, 2010, 04:05:49 PM

It's a story about five women in a hospital who become friends, face trials together, and stick with each other no matter how much life tries to bring them down.

Perfect chick flick.

awesome, for real

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #41 on: November 09, 2010, 04:06:57 PM

It's a story about five women in a hospital who become friends, face trials together, and stick with each other no matter how much life tries to bring them down.

Perfect chick flick.

awesome, for real

Now all they need are a pair of pants between them  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: November 09, 2010, 04:21:29 PM

Man, that's going to be Street-Fighter-Bad (TM) and not just because there's no girl under 30 that's a remotely decent actress.

I can't wait.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 10, 2010, 03:15:53 PM

Well despite having all the dvd boxes and liking the first film, she hated Sex and the City 2, so under her rules, I'm fairly sure it was all somehow my fault.

I'll stick to trickery, I got her to see Kick-Ass which she enjoyed, so figure I'll come up with a way of comparing Sucker Punch to that or maybe tell her one of the girls in this is having an affair with Jamie Oliver.

These kinds of discussions remind me of how lucky I am to have my wife. She loves sci-fi, fantasy and action movies. She loves video games. She has less tolerance for chick flicks than I do.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: November 15, 2010, 06:05:06 AM

Saw the trailer for this one at the theater the other day.  Started off thinking "omg what is this boring girl-in-an-asylum crap".  Ended up thinking "omg I have to see this movie".

The wife was not impressed  Ohhhhh, I see.  Though she liked Kick-Ass, so maybe there's a chance.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #45 on: March 19, 2011, 10:12:02 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSIetIg7O3M

Apparently it has: 
1.  An insane asylum
2.  A hot chick as the lead role
3.  Samurai swords
4.  Robots
5.  Dragons
6.  A whacky "film noir" setting

Sounds like win to me.   awesome, for real
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: March 19, 2011, 10:12:55 AM

It even has its own thread!  awesome, for real

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=19592.0

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #47 on: March 19, 2011, 10:13:42 AM

It even has its own thread!  awesome, for real

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=19592.0

yeah, sorry.  I scanned the first page of Movies and assumed there wasn't a thread.  Should have done a search.  Feel free to trash this one :)
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: March 19, 2011, 10:41:17 AM

It also has more hot chicks in more lead roles, orcs, and zombie Nazis.

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20474245,00.html#20924749

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #49 on: March 19, 2011, 04:39:46 PM

Fuck.  Zombie Nazis are going to be awesome.  I may go see this at the theater. 
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: March 20, 2011, 12:05:28 PM

This movie is going to be awesome. ESPECIALLY the women in school girl uniforms!
(and all the other awesomeness like dragons, robots, zombie nazis, etc)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #51 on: March 21, 2011, 01:41:38 AM

I'm with Schild, this looks like shit. It looks like a collection of cutscenes from a game I wouldn't play.

"BUT WUA HAHA IT HAS PIRATE NAZI NINJA ALIEN ROBOTS! ISN'T THAT AWESOME?!"

What are you, fucking six?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: March 21, 2011, 02:05:35 AM

I figure it will provide a couple good avatars. Anything else is bonus.

Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: March 21, 2011, 03:07:13 AM

I'm with Schild, this looks like shit. It looks like a collection of cutscenes from a game I wouldn't play.

I'm not...but I will watch this for the imagery: attractive younger females, bad ass weapons, bad ass bad guys... I am not looking for an Oscar winner, nor am I looking for much of a story, just straight visceral imagery. It's the only thing that I can think of which could have made Transformers movies that much money.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #54 on: March 21, 2011, 03:11:14 AM

The trailer made it look more fun than 3/6 Star Wars films. You guess which ones!

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #55 on: March 21, 2011, 03:38:40 AM

The trailer made it look more fun than 3/6 Star Wars films. You guess which ones!

Oh shit, he went there...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #56 on: March 21, 2011, 03:50:46 AM

In all the time you've spent on these boards, did you somehow miss the two big forums devoted to MMO's and other video games?  The 70+ page T&A thread (the most posted in thread in Serious Business, not to mention the fact that the Britney Spears thread is still #3)?  The pre-release Avatar nerdfight you yourself were a part of?  The fact that the top movies we've discussed here in this forum are all Sci-Fi movies or comic book adaptations?

YES WE ARE ALL SIX FUCKING YEARS OLD!  Embrace it or gtfo.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #57 on: March 21, 2011, 07:24:07 AM

Wow, the first few pages of that Avatar thread  why so serious?, how did I miss that?
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: March 21, 2011, 02:25:50 PM

I like how the movie pretends to be based on something a hawt girl thought of, when in fact it's still base masculine desire driving the entire flick.
It's like if the Matrix was actually formed by Merv instead of the Architect.  You'd know the shit aint real, but you wouldnt care 'cause it'd still get you off.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: March 21, 2011, 04:04:40 PM

I like how the movie pretends to be based on something a hawt girl thought of, when in fact it's still base masculine desire driving the entire flick.
It's like if the Matrix was actually formed by Merv instead of the Architect.  You'd know the shit aint real, but you wouldnt care 'cause it'd still get you off.

This movie will do for feminism what 300 did for heterosexuality.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #60 on: March 21, 2011, 10:04:12 PM

Careful, you're giving me "Scott Pilgrim/Kick Ass/Serenity/every picture The Internet has rooted for in the last five years, etc." flop vibes.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #61 on: March 21, 2011, 10:15:54 PM

The trailer has "utterly awesome movie that will barely make its money back, if that" written all over it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #62 on: March 22, 2011, 12:27:48 AM

Careful, you're giving me "Scott Pilgrim/Kick Ass/Serenity/every picture The Internet has rooted for in the last five years, etc." flop vibes.

Still haven't seen any of those three, or even finished watching Firefly. Or Snakes on a Plane for that matter.
The trailer I watched looked like dumb fun with 300-esque Zack Snyder visuals and hot girls strippers with guns and dragons. I'm not expecting cinematic masterpiece that will provoke meaningful thought. I plan to wait 6 months, torrent it when it comes out on DVD/BR, watch it, and then if it's fun enough to warrant re-watching, I'll buy the BR. Of course this could be shit like Clash of the Titans or Inglourious Basterds, but it's not like I have anything invested in it.

What I said about the trailer compared to SW remains true, though. Still, even those 3 shitty SW films all had reasonably good trailers.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #63 on: March 22, 2011, 01:24:53 AM

At the end of the day those movies were still good regardless of how much money they made.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #64 on: March 22, 2011, 09:33:10 AM

The trailer has "utterly awesome movie that will barely make its money back, if that" written all over it.

This. Sucker Punch is geek wank fantasy, not mainstream action fare. That's why it's debuting in March and not June or July. No one expects it to be a blockbuster but morons.

Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: March 22, 2011, 02:42:25 PM

At the end of the day those movies were still good regardless of how much money they made.

Kick Ass didnt make money?
I thought it was a great fun cheesy movie and most non-nerd people I know liked it as well.

Scott Pilgrim was fucking stupidity on steroids.  (I mean there's nerds and then there's I'm a white boy with a Japanese/Anime fetish nerds. You dont make movies for the second group, at least not ones you hope to be commercially successful)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:57:13 PM by Sand »
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: March 22, 2011, 05:02:44 PM

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up".

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 22, 2011, 05:35:24 PM

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up".

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Somewhere, a bunny is missing his pancake.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #68 on: March 23, 2011, 09:33:30 AM

The fact that this opens in two days and there isn't a single review on rottentomatoes does not bode well. They either aren't screening it or are embargoing the hell out of it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #69 on: March 23, 2011, 11:22:16 AM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Somewhere, a bunny is missing his pancake.
Is the bunny named C S Lewis too?

"Me am play gods"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Sucker Punch  
Jump to: