Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:35:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Thor 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thor  (Read 69533 times)
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #245 on: November 08, 2011, 01:18:50 AM

If I Google "Dutch angle", should I make sure that search safe is on?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: November 08, 2011, 01:39:05 AM

Watching this on On Demand right now. What is with the Dutch angle shots? I find it really distracting. I think I've seen more dutch angle shots in the first 30 minutes than I've seen in the last year of movies. Like there is an establishing shot of a town that for some reason is done with a dutch angle, then 30 seconds later some characters are walking through a hallway and it's another dutch angle shot. I don't remember seeing this in any reviews but to me it's super noticeable.

Edit: Well according to a quick google search I'm certainly not alone in noticing this.

No, you're not. I noticed it too. Didn't stop my enjoyment of the film any but yeah, happened a lot.  Branagh loves his use of different angles and oblique shots - remember there being quite a lot in Frankenstein too - but I get the impression he doesn't really know how to use them to full effect.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #247 on: November 08, 2011, 06:29:28 AM

I too had to Google "Dutch angle" which is kind of funny to me because I tend to over use the technique in still photography.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #248 on: November 08, 2011, 08:06:34 AM

I had never heard the term "Dutch angle" shot and I've used that a shitton in my photography over the years. However, I don't remember seeing too many out of place shots like that in Thor, but it's been months since I've seen it.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #249 on: November 18, 2011, 02:42:46 AM

I thought this was pretty cool... if a little short. In a way, the whole look of the comic could have gone really bad.. like Flash Gordon (not that I'm knocking Flash really), but they pulled it off. Even Loki looked good.. and he's one of the silliest looking comic characters.

Surprised that I saw Kenneth Branagh's name at the end (Director). Maybe that was it.. all of his movies have good art direction.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: March 16, 2014, 06:21:00 PM

I saw this movie so the thread is now alive again...

Could Mr HGH and Portman have any less chemistry in this film?

Otherwise a fun movie. Didn't have enough weight in parts for me, especially the action, but I guess that was stylistic in part for a bit of the naff comic feel.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: March 16, 2014, 09:14:58 PM

I don't know that it was a chemistry problem as much as that Jane just had nothing to do and was in many ways the least charasmatic of the three main female characters. (By that I mean Jane, Sif and the other helper chick who had like 2 lines of dialogue)

It felt like her character existed mostly because a similar character exists in the comics and the male hero needs a love interest, or at least an implied one.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: March 16, 2014, 11:28:06 PM

I now know what a Dutch Angle is.

Having said that I was reading about it on wiki and found this that it is used by "Terry Gilliam (in Brazil, The Fisher King, 12 Monkeys, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas)"

Given that I love those movies it explains why I didn't notice it in Thor.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: March 17, 2014, 01:01:56 AM

It's also often referred to as an oblique or canted angle.

It's usually used to make a scene feel abnormal, off-putting, dream-like, uneasy, etc, which is why that list of movies makes sense. It just didn't make sense for how it was used in Thor. It was one of those things where once I noticed it I just couldn't stop and the whole movie became about that.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: March 18, 2014, 11:33:56 AM

This is the first Thor?  I finally only just saw this, too.  I never liked the characters of Thor or Captain America so I expected to not like either movie.  Having seen both movies only recently, I was right on one account.  I didn't like the Captain America movie at all.  However I was surprised by Thor, it turned out to be pretty good.  Hemsworth made a very charismatic Thor.

Over and out.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: March 18, 2014, 03:52:58 PM

My GF pointed out that his eyes are too close together. I couldn't unsee it and it detracted greatly from the film.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: March 18, 2014, 04:11:45 PM

Looks fine to me.

Over and out.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: March 19, 2014, 08:06:25 AM

Mighty Fine.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #258 on: March 19, 2014, 12:09:42 PM

My GF pointed out that his eyes are too close together. I couldn't unsee it and it detracted greatly from the film.

Did she also tell you that your penis is "just the right size for her" as well?   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I have never played WoW.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: March 19, 2014, 12:31:34 PM

lol

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: March 19, 2014, 12:55:44 PM

Did she also tell you that your penis is "just the right size for her" as well?   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
#1: It is impolite to listen on others conversations.
#2: That was his Mom, not his GF.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: March 19, 2014, 03:57:06 PM

What a strange turn of events.

Guess my penis might do the job for a lot of people out there!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #262 on: March 19, 2014, 04:01:09 PM

Ehh...he isn't really my type, but this is getting into "2/10 Knees to sharp" territory. Personal preferences aside he looks great.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #263 on: March 19, 2014, 04:03:46 PM

Yep, Lamaros is officially crazy.  Carry on.   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:05:18 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: March 19, 2014, 04:08:58 PM

Hey, I'm just standing up for my GF. She can't help it if my eyes are magnificently spaced...

And yeah, I never said he was an unattractive guy. Margalis notices dutch angles, my GF noticed his eyes. Lets all stop calling me crazy (et tu Teleku?) and carry on feeling emasculated about his 100% naturally produced musculature instead.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #265 on: March 19, 2014, 04:25:28 PM

Hey, you can be crazy about a topic and still be friends! 

That is just.... perhaps one of the weirdest criticisms I've heard about somebody except for the stereotypical 'sharp knees' comment.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: March 19, 2014, 04:27:27 PM

That is just.... perhaps one of the weirdest criticisms I've heard about somebody except for the stereotypical 'sharp knees' comment.

Maybe because you're used to hearing guy criticisms, not girl ones?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #267 on: March 19, 2014, 05:01:34 PM

Yeah nobody blinks an eye about people getting nitpicky over pretty women. The reaction when it's the other way around would be funny if it wasn't predictable.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: March 19, 2014, 05:08:12 PM

Yeah nobody blinks an eye about people getting nitpicky over pretty women. The reaction when it's the other way around would be funny if it wasn't predictable.

There are plenty of people who blink plenty of eyes when other people get nitpicky over pretty women.  It's just gets tiresome calling all the nitpicky people idiots.

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #269 on: March 19, 2014, 05:14:39 PM

I worded it poorly; I agree with you.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: March 19, 2014, 07:09:30 PM

I'm going to raise the BS flag a little.  If people were commenting on his unit, buttocks, or any other typically objectified male component, I'd be right there with you.  However, this was a jump out of the blue about the distance between a person's eyes.  If I dropped over to one of those Serious Business threads and interjected a comment on one of the photo threads about how the girl in photo 16574 was weird because her eyes were too close together, it'd get similar comments to the above, I'd bet.  Of course, it'd be mixed in with the usual crap, too.

And, frankly, the eyes being close together adds to his 'Norse Glare'.  It was probably seen as a boon.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #271 on: March 19, 2014, 07:34:15 PM

And, frankly, the eyes being close together adds to his 'Norse Glare'.  It was probably seen as a boon.
FWIW, it's also a sign of adult use of HGH (the skull grows but the eyes stay put).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: March 19, 2014, 10:15:23 PM

I'm going to raise the BS flag a little.  If people were commenting on his unit, buttocks, or any other typically objectified male component, I'd be right there with you.  However, this was a jump out of the blue about the distance between a person's eyes.  If I dropped over to one of those Serious Business threads and interjected a comment on one of the photo threads about how the girl in photo 16574 was weird because her eyes were too close together, it'd get similar comments to the above, I'd bet.  Of course, it'd be mixed in with the usual crap, too.

And, frankly, the eyes being close together adds to his 'Norse Glare'.  It was probably seen as a boon.

And yet if you google it it's a common criticism girls have about him (and I assume other guys). I really have no idea why you're getting touchy about it? Lots of girls I know make pedantic comments about guys that have nothing to do with what you might consider to be typical physical things they should care about.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: March 19, 2014, 10:28:03 PM

This is a high quality conversation.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: March 20, 2014, 02:37:21 AM

What's HGH ?

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: March 20, 2014, 05:20:29 AM

Human growth hormone.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: March 20, 2014, 05:28:42 AM

Oh Dear God.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: March 20, 2014, 07:19:47 AM

Lamaros, my point was that people were adding gender issues to a situation that was not inherently gender based. There are enough crappy things in the world to handle for us to stretch yo find more.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: March 20, 2014, 08:02:22 AM

I swear to fucking god, you people can shit up any conversation.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: March 20, 2014, 08:10:36 AM

Wanna see my honeycrisps ?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Thor  
Jump to: