Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:07:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Thor 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thor  (Read 69530 times)
lac
Terracotta Army

on: July 29, 2010, 10:55:23 AM

The Comic Con trailer.

Based on the Marvel Comic, the powerful but arrogant warrior Thor is cast out of the fantastic realm of Asgard and sent to live amongst humans on Earth, where he soon becomes one of their finest defenders.
Coming to theatres 6 May 2011.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 10:58:50 AM

Here’s the Thor Trailer as seen at Comic-Con. Starring Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman, and directed by Kenneth Branagh

directed by Kenneth Branagh

directed by Kenneth Branagh???
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 11:02:14 AM

You don't read the internet much do you.

beer geek.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 11:10:02 AM

Looks like good stupid fun.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 11:38:48 AM

Looks better than the initial pictures led me to believe. If anything I think it'll look silly but have good acting.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 11:45:07 AM

The stills they've sent out had concerned me, as the armor looked plastic. But now seeing it with real film lighting, motion and grain, it looks perfect. I fucking loved this trailer. The Destroyer at the end was perfect.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 11:46:55 AM

It's becoming painfully obvious that comic book fans are getting more love in the movie theater lately than in the comics themselves... (drops in talking point and sits back)

Hic sunt dracones.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 12:01:09 PM

Movies are a better format for these stories anyway, primarily because movies actually end. There's no "We've been telling Captain Meathead stories for fifty years, we're out of ideas! Shit add more alternate universes!" crap going on.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 12:02:07 PM

I'm in.  The trailer was enough to get me to see this in the theater.  I've always been a Thor and Captain America fan.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 12:08:08 PM

Movies are a better format for these stories anyway, primarily because movies actually end. There's no "We've been telling Captain Meathead stories for fifty years, we're out of ideas! Shit add more alternate universes!" crap going on.

That and Marvel is HORRRRRRIBLE right now.

beer geek.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 12:09:01 PM

Natalie Portman  Heart

-End of Line

edit:  Kat Dennings, Rene Russo   Heart Heart
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 12:14:49 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 02:04:01 PM

That and Marvel is HORRRRRRIBLE right now.

Cosmic Marvel is pretty awesome if you like space opera and awesomeness.

Trailer looks interesting, going with the Kirby designs for Asgard was a pretty brave decision but I think it works. We'll see of course, if nothing else I think this movie is going to have some really great moments. I'm worried though that it's going to be some sort of 80's style 'mysterious stranger Kung Fuing bad guys across America' bookended with awesome Godly stuff.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 02:20:09 PM

"Your ancestors called it magic, you call it science"  Mob

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 02:22:44 PM

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
   why so serious?

beer geek.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 02:49:36 PM

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
   why so serious?
This becomes especially obvious when you have a universe that has both magic and technology side by side.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 03:24:19 PM

Seriously, in some worlds having magic and science be very separate makes sense. Marvel is not one of those worlds.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 03:34:48 PM

I'm worried though that it's going to be some sort of 80's style 'mysterious stranger Kung Fuing bad guys across America' bookended with awesome Godly stuff.

Worried?  I'm counting on it.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 04:20:35 PM

The actor whose playing Thor really beefed the fuck up there.

I also dig the rainbow road.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 05:38:55 PM

Wow, that looks great!  I like how Agent Coulson is the thread thru all of these Marvel movies, that's kind of cool.  Asgard looks great, the armor looks great and I'm thrilled they Kirby-ized it.  Good-looking cast; Portman is always eye candy and Sif and the nerd girl are hot as well.  For the ladies they have Thor. 

I was really unsure they could pull Thor off, but now I'm not so worried.  Kind of curious why they picked Kenneth Branagh to direct, maybe it's because he's so versed in Shakespeare and that's needed here for the Asgardians?
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 05:43:52 PM

The actor whose playing Thor really beefed the fuck up there.

Okay.  To figure out who the actor was, I discovered that they're remaking Red Dawn.  Red fucking Dawn. 
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 05:47:20 PM

Wolverines!

My wide and I actually MST3K'd that movie over the weekend.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 05:50:32 PM

Wolverines!

My wide and I actually MST3K'd that movie over the weekend.

Col. Andy Tanner: ...The Russians need to take us in one piece, and that's why they're here. That's why they won't use nukes anymore; and we won't either, not on our own soil. The whole damn thing's pretty conventional now. Who knows? Maybe next week will be swords.
Darryl Bates: What started it?
Col. Andy Tanner: I don't know. Two toughest kids on the block, I guess. Sooner or later, they're gonna fight.
Jed Eckert: That simple, is it?
Col. Andy Tanner: Or maybe somebody just forget what it was like.
Jed Eckert: ...Well, who *is* on our side?
Col. Andy Tanner: Six hundred million screaming Chinamen.
Darryl Bates: Last I heard, there were a billion screaming Chinamen.
Col. Andy Tanner: There *were*.
[he throws whiskey on the fire; it ignites violently, suggesting a nuclear explosion]
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 05:51:06 PM

I was really unsure they could pull Thor off, but now I'm not so worried.  Kind of curious why they picked Kenneth Branagh to direct, maybe it's because he's so versed in Shakespeare and that's needed here for the Asgardians?

Yeah, that was my thought. I mean, Norse gods running around being all mythological, it would be impossible to pull that off without someone like Brannaugh.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 10:22:23 PM

Looks pretty generic to me like Clash of the Titans.  It was an alright movie but no Spiderman or Ironman.  Personally, the fact that he isn't a anachronistic god just kills it for me. Superman with a hammer isn't particularly interesting.

"Me am play gods"
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 10:37:54 PM

It looks like it has potential. We'll see how it all works out. I suspect he will spend most of the movie not being Thor which I'm not sure I like.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 10:39:25 PM

Looked pretty cool.  Not too sure about Hopkins as Odin, though.

And they really should have put Peter Stormare in there somewhere.  Loki, maybe.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 10:45:38 PM

Gave away too much in the trailer. I know exactly what the plot is now and how it ends. Blech.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 03:29:36 AM

Gave away too much in the trailer. I know exactly what the plot is now and how it ends. Blech.

I think the only thing in that trailer that was any sort of surprise is that it looks like Odin dies (although even then, I wouldn't count out the possibility that Odin ends up surviving somehow).  That, and I thought it was a nice touch that Thor has to become worthy of holding the hammer again.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 03:31:54 AM

Christ, give me a film you can't predict these days...

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 03:36:10 AM

Never was a big Thor fan, but I recall some issues where Odin went into a coma and Loki raised hell.  As for the trailer, show me a big budget movie that doesn't blow the plot these days.  The more money they spend, they more they feel they need to show.  I hate it too but my advice is just to not watch the trailers. 
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #30 on: July 30, 2010, 03:44:14 AM

Also, keep in mind that it isn't a trailer in the strictest sense (most trailers aren't 5 minutes long).  It's footage that was shown at Comic Con.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 30, 2010, 05:29:12 AM

There's at least three plotlines in 'classic' Thor where Odin is incapacitated or in the "Odinsleep" and Loki gets himself into control. Heck, he more or less just pulled it again in the latest reboot, getting Balder to exile Thor.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 30, 2010, 03:52:34 PM

That's pretty much the plot of the Hulk vs Thor animated flick they did as well.  Odin enters the Odinsleep, or whatever it's called, and Loki summons Banner to Asgard, and separates him from the Hulk, who he then lets loose on Asgard.  Hulk promptly kicks the crap out of Thor, and all of Asgard, until they get Hel involved. Odin wakes back up, and everyone lives happily ever after.  Except poor Bruce Banner, who is forced out of the lovely dream life with Betty, and their kid, in Niflheim, gets re-attached to the Hulk and sent back to Earth to continue sucking.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 30, 2010, 04:34:17 PM

Um, would I be shallow if I said I'm not too concerned about the plot if they give me the lovely, lovely eye-candy?

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 31, 2010, 05:32:58 PM

Yeah, but no more shallow than all the guys in the theater checking out Portman, or Kat Dennings.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Thor  
Jump to: