Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:15:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: StarCraft II 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] Go Down Print
Author Topic: StarCraft II  (Read 291462 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1715 on: March 27, 2013, 03:30:45 PM

Yeah, but that's not really the point.  I agree entirely that's what it was, but at the time it was what we were fucking dying for.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1716 on: January 21, 2014, 11:09:45 PM

So, Heart of the Swarm patch 2.1 is out.  Knowing that people here don't really care about SC2 - why am I bothering to post this?

Because 2.1 makes the Arcade free.  Arcade is the new term for the Use Map Settings/Custom Maps of the Brood War days, to be clear.  You don't need to own SC2 at all to download the client and play them, and I think people are more interested in that than actual SC2 'round these parts.

Here's a terrible video by blizzard hoping that this means someone will make the next DOTA for them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWKDxiIUyp4

But really, there are some cool custom games already available.  I think you can download the client by logging into the battle.net website.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #1717 on: January 22, 2014, 02:05:04 PM

And I just uninstalled it too. Are there any actually decent maps to play?

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1718 on: January 22, 2014, 02:13:03 PM

Nah.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1719 on: January 22, 2014, 02:15:13 PM

Marine Arena is fun.  Star Strikers is fun, but some people are so good it's silly.  Nexus Wars and Squadron Tower Defense are both fun, but the games last longer than I'd like.  There is also a surprisingly good DOTA clone called Aeon of Strife.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1720 on: January 22, 2014, 02:15:54 PM

If you go back far enough, technically Dota is a clone of THAT from sc1  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #1721 on: January 22, 2014, 02:37:35 PM

I don't play ladder sc2 anymore because its the anti-thesis of fun, but apparently the mod 'starbow' is played via arcade and mixes units/abilities/mechanics from sc1 and sc2, units do less damage and its a great time for people wanting a more sc1 like game flow with the UI improvements of sc2.

i doubt that sentence made sense, but like malakili said, i also doubt many people give two tosses about starcraft in here.

*Should be working*
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #1722 on: January 22, 2014, 02:54:00 PM

How is that starship/faux-naval combat one going? Is it still around? I remember the premise being decent, even if the execution was a bit rough.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #1723 on: January 22, 2014, 04:41:12 PM

I'm a big SC2 fan, but I rarely play ladder because it really is so fucking stressful.  In fact, I haven't played much at all recently, so thanks for the heads up.  I'm going to check some of these things out.

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1724 on: November 12, 2017, 09:04:55 AM

So, yeah.  Been awhile since anyone has talked about SC2 but I was able to claim Heart of the Swarm for free just recently.  I think it's because I had bought Wings of Liberty ages ago and now they're giving out the second part for free if you own the first part.  I doubt I'll ever play again but it's still nice to get.
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1725 on: November 12, 2017, 10:48:00 AM

SC2 will also go free to play on Nov 14. They say this is an their effort to get increased interest, but I'm betting it's a long term strategy focused on Artificial Intelligence.

Google DeepMind and Blizzard made a deal last year to open the API for SC2, allowing programmers to control units directly and run games at faster than real time for training. This API was recently released along with a lightweight Linux interface that doesn't need the base game to train. The F2P release will increase accessibility further, allowing anyone to develop with no cost of entry on any platform.

Machine Learning is historically not well-suited to learning complex sequential strategies with multiple competing objectives, as evidenced by the sad state of AI for games like Civ. SC2 is a difficult problem that will open up a whole new world of AI if Google (or anyone else, although Google has a disproportionately huge research presence) is successful. The recent advances in machine learning for Atari games and Go are impressive, but rely on perfect information about the state of the game and don't have an adversary dynamically changing the world while you make a decision.

I predict SC2 AI competitions (and human/AI collaborations) will become a big deal in a year or two.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1726 on: November 13, 2017, 12:52:25 AM

Just the base game I assume?  I would love to be able to get all the expantions I havent shelled out for for free if they throw the entire thing under the F2P bus.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1727 on: November 13, 2017, 05:12:33 PM

Base game with Terran campaign only, I believe.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1728 on: November 13, 2017, 06:16:48 PM

Base game and HotS will be included with F2P. If you bought both, they're giving you free portraits and in-game fluff.

The Protoss campaign will still have to be bought.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1729 on: November 14, 2017, 12:07:39 AM

So you are saying Zerg rushes will ultimately lead to Skynet? Seems about right.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1730 on: November 14, 2017, 02:36:39 AM

Tried to play this again last night ;  I'm truly not worried about Skynet coming out of this game.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1731 on: November 14, 2017, 08:58:44 PM

No one should be worried. The "deep learning" hype cycle is cashing in on problems we have been chipping at for decades. SC2 A.I. will not be all entirely useful for the complex shitshow that is the real world, but it's a small step in that direction.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: StarCraft II  
Jump to: