Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:26:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: StarCraft II 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: StarCraft II  (Read 291559 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1645 on: March 16, 2013, 12:06:10 AM

The more I've thought about the storyline since I finished it the more I dislike it actually.  I would still maintain that it is slightly better than Sc2:WoL and Diablo 3, but that is not saying much.  

Finished - I liked D3 and WoL's stories better, I'm not sure I've played a Blizzard game where I have been less invested in the plot AND THAT IS SAYING SOMETHING.

The missions were fun, though, and the cinematics were as usual well executed if derpy in content. I might have to mess around with the co-op vs AI ladder, too.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1646 on: March 16, 2013, 01:48:44 PM

Now that I'm farther in... Kerrigan's voice acting is bad. Even setting aside that the dialogue is terrible, her delivery is horrible and there's no emotion in her voice at all, even when she's talking about how much rage she has. Voice director really fell down on the job on this one.

Isn't it Tricia Helfer ?

There's your answer right there.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1647 on: March 16, 2013, 02:01:33 PM

Don't pick on Starbuck!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1648 on: March 16, 2013, 02:14:29 PM

She's been OK in other things. But, yeah.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1649 on: March 17, 2013, 07:05:47 AM

Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #1650 on: March 17, 2013, 08:16:53 AM

He's just confused from a Jedi mind meld...
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1651 on: March 17, 2013, 08:17:05 AM

Woops!  I meant cylon sex droid.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1652 on: March 18, 2013, 01:08:18 AM

Yeah, I prefer 2 action turns to MPs.

Much better than "Oh, you're 1 action point short of a reaction shot."  why so serious?
And inventory management in the original just got stupid. I love to drag and drop the inventories of 12 guys every mission.  swamp poop
New game could have been better, but goddamn it's still a great game. (I'm replaying it for the 5th time right now.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?)

Oh, yeah. Startcrafts towoo. Um... skipping this one. There's something about the current crop of Blizz titles, D3, SC2, MoP... I'm sure someone can break it down with a pie chart or something, but I'd sum it up with "Not enough fun to dollar ratio."

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:14:15 AM by Ratman_tf »

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1653 on: March 18, 2013, 03:30:09 AM

There appears to be an outbreak of 'omg this game is just a little more of SC WoL except the story is fucking atrocious.'

I'm kinda glad I passed.  The only downside being, it's Blizzard, so it'll never come out on the cheap in my lifetime.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1654 on: March 18, 2013, 03:34:36 AM

Well, at least not until the third expansion, when they'll probably put it on sale like they did with WoL this time around.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1655 on: March 18, 2013, 03:56:47 AM

I did say 'In my lifetime.'  I'm quite old, you know.

why so serious?

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1656 on: March 18, 2013, 06:38:14 AM

I will say that, as someone who plays 1v1 ladder, the new multiplayer units and changes to existing units are VERY good for the game.  I know that is the preferred mode for most people here, but they've really knocked it out of the park in that respect with this expansion.  The game is far more dynamic and interesting than at any point in Wings of Liberty.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1657 on: March 18, 2013, 07:12:07 AM

Yeah, but you'd say that anyway.   why so serious?

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1658 on: March 18, 2013, 07:16:01 AM

Yeah, but you'd say that anyway.   why so serious?

Perhaps awesome, for real.

MLG this weekend was absolutely fantastic though.  I haven't seen such optimism about the game in a long while.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1659 on: March 18, 2013, 08:26:43 AM

The unit and balance changes are pretty solid. The single player plot is pretty comically bad, even if the mission design is pretty solid.

I'm mostly upset because the one tusk zergling was totally a thing in the cutscenes, and I haven't seen him in forever now. Dude was my favorite character, besides my pet baneling. But he died, and I realized I shouldn't get attached to banelings.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1660 on: March 20, 2013, 07:41:57 AM

Here is an absurdly well thought out and detailed analysis of Heart of the Swarm story, complete with references going back to the original SC and Brood War:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=404043

I admittedly skimmed over a bit of it, but read most of it.  Probably mostly preaching to the choir based on what people have said here so far, but it might be an interesting read for some.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1661 on: March 20, 2013, 09:33:23 AM

There appears to be an outbreak of 'omg this game is just a little more of SC WoL except the story is fucking atrocious.'

I'm kinda glad I passed.  The only downside being, it's Blizzard, so it'll never come out on the cheap in my lifetime.

There will be a Battlechest edition and if you're savvy you'll be able to pick it up at your local big box retailer for $20 when they're tired of the box sitting around. This was my plan ever since they made the "one game, three expansions!" announcement.   I feel vindicated in having never bought it now that I see the complaints.  Whee.

You're not old enough to die yet.  Hate lives on.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1662 on: March 20, 2013, 09:47:31 AM

This is one of the times where Blizzard out-thought the room. They figured players would enjoy having more content per release with more missions per release, but they neglected to consider the fact that their stories have been incredibly lame of late (Metzen sucks), and the multiplayer is pretty much the only real draw to the game.

They probably would have made more total money with 2 $20 mission packs for the remaining parts with about 60% of the mission totals, than trying to charge another $40 per xpac for filler points. The market doesn't really bear out those costs, nor is their content worth that price point.

We'll see what the conversion rate is for the game, because SC2 sold supposedly over 5M units. If Heart of the Swarm doesn't sell over 2M units, it's pretty much a failure on their part to capture the market, because the 3rd part will fall even further.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1663 on: March 20, 2013, 09:54:51 AM

I'll buy it if I get bored enough.  I think I might be better served just waiting for next week and seeing if the reviews for the next Bioshock are to my liking.

Blizzard games seem to only go down by about $10 a year and bottom out at $20.  No use waiting if you have the time and inclination to play.   I'm just not terribly interested in something that will only be a single player endeavor.  Multiplayer SC2 is no longer something I want to do.

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1664 on: March 20, 2013, 11:18:53 AM

Here is an absurdly well thought out and detailed analysis of Heart of the Swarm story, complete with references going back to the original SC and Brood War:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=404043

I admittedly skimmed over a bit of it, but read most of it.  Probably mostly preaching to the choir based on what people have said here so far, but it might be an interesting read for some.

I started reading it, but the guy comes across as such a colossal douche in his intro that I stopped. I probably agree with him, but jeez.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1665 on: March 20, 2013, 01:39:57 PM

I question that guy's conclusion that their stories are shitty and adolescent because they're shooting to woo adolescents. I think they're shitty and adolescent because Metzen has shitty, adolescent tastes and no one at Blizzard is willing to kick him in the nuts for it.

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1666 on: March 20, 2013, 02:20:28 PM

I question that guy's conclusion that their stories are shitty and adolescent because they're shooting to woo adolescents. I think they're shitty and adolescent because Metzen has shitty, adolescent tastes and no one at Blizzard is willing to kick him in the nuts for it.

I agree. Metzen's work was tempered in the beginning by others. He had Bill Roper help with the Diablo world, and James Phinney lay the groundwork for Starcraft. Warcraft was already out there when he did the manuals.

Once Metzen started flying solo? We got WC3, and his green Jesus. Shit got wildly out of control from that point until today. Without someone reigning in this almost 40 year old man-child, the stories will continue to get worse.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1667 on: March 20, 2013, 02:27:16 PM

Honestly every time this topic comes up I just instantly think of Stormwaltz's story about applying to Blizzard and hearing "but we already have a writer."

El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1668 on: March 21, 2013, 05:54:09 PM

Shaking fist widow mines  Shaking fist
Fuck terran forever  Mob

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1669 on: March 21, 2013, 05:55:25 PM

Shaking fist widow mines  Shaking fist
Fuck terran forever  Mob

They are a pain in the ass to play against for sure.   I'm learning already though.  What race do you play?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1670 on: March 22, 2013, 02:46:11 AM

Question :  I take it you can't watch replays with merely the old version ?

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1671 on: March 22, 2013, 05:45:53 AM

Since we haven't had a replay in ages, here's a great game: TLO vs MorroW

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1672 on: March 22, 2013, 02:15:58 PM

Man, that story was fucking atrocious on more than one level

the hell is the tone of the game supposed to be. am i supposed to like kerrigan or pity her or just think she's a terrible tantruming asshole
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1673 on: March 22, 2013, 05:06:31 PM

Man, that story was fucking atrocious on more than one level

the hell is the tone of the game supposed to be. am i supposed to like kerrigan or pity her or just think she's a terrible tantruming asshole

You are supposed to like her. But since she's female in a story written by Metzen, that is impossible.

goishen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1674 on: March 22, 2013, 10:02:19 PM

am i supposed to like kerrigan or pity her or just think she's a terrible tantruming asshole

Or perhaps all three.   From the comments I'm seeing, and not playing the game, I'm guessing that he failed at that too.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1675 on: March 23, 2013, 04:13:57 AM

Blizzard in "Cannot write female character" shocker!
(Again, neither new nor surprising)

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1676 on: March 23, 2013, 07:07:04 AM

Is Metzen even married? Has he ever spent time with women at all, other than paying for their services?

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1677 on: March 23, 2013, 10:14:46 AM

Women: Always getting knocked up by the devil or merging their essence with space aliens. Dont trust them!

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1678 on: March 23, 2013, 10:17:31 AM

We've had a watchful eye on you for a while. Don't try anything funny.   awesome, for real

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1679 on: March 23, 2013, 04:32:33 PM

We've had a watchful eye on you for a while. Don't try anything funny.   awesome, for real

That's more because she's got an EVE avatar. Those fuckers are shifty and likely getting knocked up by the devil.

Re the campaign: Man WHAT at that ending? Seriously?!

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: StarCraft II  
Jump to: