Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:17:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: "MMO" term dilution 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "MMO" term dilution  (Read 54146 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: July 16, 2010, 06:59:08 PM

Stuff

Hell, even for all my bitching, I still think games like Divine Souls and Torchlight MMO can be good.  Granted, the only MMO I am paying for at the moment in World War 2 Online, so that buys me a LITTLE bit of leeway maybe.  Point being, just because something isn't a good "MMO" in my opinion doesn't mean its a bad game, or that it isn't worth paying money for.

The real problem is the utter ubiquity of games that are shit, and call themselves MMOs because the publisher thinks its the way to money hats.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #141 on: July 16, 2010, 07:31:47 PM

Well, yes, but that's neither here nor there. But really, who bothers with the majority of these games, unless they have a ton of game ADHD or are questing for their "perfect" MMO? - which will never happen.

To put it another way, there are a lot of FPS games being released these days - and it's been so for the past 5 years. Pretty much all of them also have some knd of Multiplayer deathmathch/TDM tacked on as well. Who gives a shit about most the overwhelming majority of them?  

Seriously - just look down the thread titles on this page and the preceding pages. Who really cares about many of them? Most of them are going to (probably) make it to release, then muddle around for a bit, amazingly not becoming WoW-beaters, then die quietly.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 07:34:02 PM by Azazel »

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #142 on: July 16, 2010, 07:38:00 PM

DF (and to a lesser degree Dodens Gruda and the other frontier dungeons) was a special case. If you ever had to fight with 234 necromancers for a place to kill stuff in Stonehenge Barrows then you know why most DAOC players will not look back on non-instanced dungeons fondly. But actually even the DF thing wasn't much fun if you were on something sub-level-50.

I mean yes I occasionally had a good time sneaking over to Hib side and dropping AE hammers on a group of mid-30s pulling the chef room, but I suspect it wasn't the most fun THEY ever had in an MMO.

THOR HATE MID-THIRTIES HIBERNIANS

God Save the Horn Players
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #143 on: July 19, 2010, 07:23:24 AM

Sounds like you guys want something like Planetside. 
Nope. Poplock, not an MMO.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: "MMO" term dilution  
Jump to: