Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:00:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Digital Comics Readers / Subscriptions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Digital Comics Readers / Subscriptions  (Read 3586 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

on: July 06, 2010, 01:14:13 AM

Anyone know anything about them? I have zero desire to accrue boxes of comics. What are the plans like, what comics are available and how is the quality?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 03:03:01 AM

The iPhone/iPad stuff is about as expensive as buying regular comics.  Pretty good quality, but the services are still fairly new and there isn't a huge selection yet.  The Marvel and DC comic readers for those are pretty much identical.  Marvel has a subscription service for PC's also for $9.99 a month or about $60 for a year subscription.  They've got a ton of good comics available, but you won't find the most recent stuff on there if you want to follow along with a book as it's being released.
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 11:16:36 PM

I'm a filthy pirate. Good number of legit services out there as Velorath mentions however.

The mobile scene is really taking off with an almost endless stream of software to pick from depending on your platform, lots of iPhone apps, plenty of android to pick from, can even find PSP and DS applications for reading.

I can only comment so much on the legit services, as I haven't tried them first hand. I have no clue how they DRM/if they DRM the comics, how they are delivered, or what the format they are delivered/downloaded in is exactly.
Marvel has put out alot of DVD's with .pdf's which have some watermark protection or some sort, either the watermark always shows/or they provide a program/key of some sort so the watermark isn't there on legit copies.

Longbox is some Mac software I came across about two days ago, I tried the Windows port and it felt...oddish to me, but I've been using alot of eComic software over the years so I have certain expectations in behavior anyone unfamiliar with that kind of software are less likely to have.
Apparently they plan to support Android, Windows Mobile and iPhone ports in the future.
The catalog for comics there is very limited at the moment, not even a full page of comics to pick from. A single issue of Wanted, The Darkness and Witchblade would be the most prominent known names I spotted, with the rest been more obscure or indie comics.
The comics available right now are all free, there isn't any information (that I found) on price points just yet. The entire platform is in beta.

It looks promising however.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Digital Comics Readers / Subscriptions  
Jump to: