Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:04:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 College Football  (Read 192743 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #980 on: January 12, 2011, 06:34:45 AM

That game put some money in Fairley's pocket.  With Luck staying at Stanford another year, Fairley is almost certain to go 1 or 2 in the NFL draft.  The guy is a beast. 

He does have a bit of a character issue... cheap shot artist without the subtlety. Beast or not, a lot of clubhouses might shy away from said character problems. That said, he'll be good in the NFL, albeit poor from the fines.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #981 on: January 12, 2011, 06:35:25 AM

I think he's got some stability issues that if I were a GM I would stay away from.  

Worked pretty well for LT (Lawrence Taylor for you young'ins).  I'd draft this guy for my defense in a heartbeat.  You want anger issues in your defensive stars.  
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:38:09 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #982 on: January 12, 2011, 06:37:17 AM

That slippery-sloppy assed field had a big effect on slowing down Oregon. They are used to playing on field-turf or on grass fields that don't disintegrate any time you try to plant. The field conditions there (especially for it being a controlled environment) were really deplorable.

If Auburn somehow magically played on a different field, I'd agree with you.  But they were slipping and sliding just as much.  And I don't think anyone would ever call Auburn "slow".

When two cornerbacks run down Oregon's supposedly fastest receiver who went 81 yards on blown coverage?  Yeah.  Oregon speed was overrated.

Worked pretty well for LT.  I'd draft this guy for my defense in a heartbeat.  You want anger issues in your defensive stars. 

Yup.  He's not back there playing paddy cake.  He's there to take peoples heads off.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #983 on: January 12, 2011, 06:41:23 AM

Oh, on the field he will be spectacular.  I'm just envisioning stupid shit done off the field to keep him out of the lineup, e.g. Plaxico Burress or Mike Vick.  

The risk may be worth it, but there may be guys that are just as mean on the field but a little more stable, like Suh.  I don't know if there is a middle ground with Fairley.  He's probably either going to be absolutely dominant or a total bust.  
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #984 on: January 12, 2011, 06:43:47 AM

Quote from: Lawrence Taylor
For me, crazy as it seems, there is a real relationship between wild, reckless abandon off the field and being that way on the field.

You may have a point.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #985 on: January 12, 2011, 07:21:51 AM

I'd take Fairley on the Cowboys if he dropped that far. No qualms about it either as a UGA fan.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #986 on: January 12, 2011, 07:36:27 AM

I think he's got some stability issues that if I were a GM I would stay away from.  

Worked pretty well for LT (Lawrence Taylor for you young'ins).  I'd draft this guy for my defense in a heartbeat.  You want anger issues in your defensive stars.  

For every Lawrence Taylor, there's an Albert Haynesworth.

edit: I think he'll be a great pro, but character issues are something to be wary of.  Hopefully, they're more like Terrel Suggs character issues and not something that prevents him from performing on the field.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:44:22 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Rasix

Reply #987 on: January 12, 2011, 07:38:11 AM

When two cornerbacks run down Oregon's supposedly fastest receiver who went 81 yards on blown coverage?  Yeah.  Oregon speed was overrated.

Jeff Maehl is not fast.  He's a possession receiver that used to play as a safety.

He is, however, their best receiver by a long shot.  But in general, their receiving corp is pretty poor. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:40:12 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #988 on: January 12, 2011, 07:59:56 AM

I'd take Fairley on the Cowboys if he dropped that far. No qualms about it either as a UGA fan.

What terrifies me is that my beloved Vikings could very well take Mallett in the draft.  To see them go from an old Favre to a new, less skilled Favre scares me. 

-  Mark Twain
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #989 on: January 12, 2011, 08:11:37 AM

And the talk about Oregon's "speed" is not necessarily about how fast they run, it is about how fast they usually run plays. Average scoring drive time for the season was less than 2 minutes.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #990 on: January 12, 2011, 08:12:32 AM

I still don't understand why teams continue to draft QBs with their high picks.  The chance of success is so slim with the first round guys.  They're better off trying to pick up a Romo as a third or fourth rounder. 
Rasix

Reply #991 on: January 12, 2011, 08:20:52 AM

I still don't understand why teams continue to draft QBs with their high picks.  The chance of success is so slim with the first round guys.  They're better off trying to pick up a Romo as a third or fourth rounder.  

Just off the top of my head:  Phillip Rivers, Ben Rothlesburger, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning (hey, won a superbowl), Peyton Manning, Sam Bradford (he seems like he'll work out), Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Josh Freeman.  Stafford could be added to that list if he ever manages to keep his shoulder in its socket.  Sanchez.. I don't know yet.

There are 2 teams I can think of with solid quarterbacking that aren't starting a first rounder: the Pats and the Saints.

Yah, there are a lot of high profile busts, but there are also some good QBs to be had drafting in the first round.

edit: Forgot about the Cowboys.  I think Tony Romo is a good QB despite his lack of success in actually doing anything.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:23:16 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #992 on: January 12, 2011, 08:30:00 AM

Yeah, but look at the number of busts to get to those guys.  The return on your pick is pretty bad.  Not off the top of my head:  JaMarcus Russel, Brady Quinn, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, Alex Smith, Jason Campbell, JP Losman, Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Michael Vick, Chad Pennington.....

Yes, sure some of these guys have started and some have even had a stretch of 3 or 4 decent years (Palmer), but all would probably not be first rounders if there was a redo of the draft.  Smith, Russel and Carr were all spectacular bombs for first picks, and Vick has been a bust of his own, but for different reasons. 

I would be much more sold on taking your man Foles as a third round pick and picking up a studly lineman or two to protect him. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #993 on: January 12, 2011, 08:31:57 AM

I think you have two options when drafting a QB:

1) Take someone with known cerebral and leadership skills in the first round and hope that they have the physical gifts to play at the NFL tempo or

2) Take a QB in later rounds with the physical gifts and bring them up slowly through your system behind a proven veteran. 

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #994 on: January 12, 2011, 08:33:57 AM

Well, option number one certainly would have ruled out a lot of those busts if GMs would have gotten their heads out of their asses before draft day.  Vince Young, Leinart, JaMarcus Russel, Rex Grossman and Mike Vick all had some questionable cerebral and leadership skills. 
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #995 on: January 12, 2011, 09:24:36 AM

You also need coaches that know how to handle the Lawrence Taylors of the world, and even then they'll do something moronic, so it also helps if they only get a slap on the wrist for their cocaine use instead of being shipped off to jail like a regular person.

God Save the Horn Players
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #996 on: January 12, 2011, 09:25:12 AM

Vince Young scored a 6 (!!!) on the wonderlic test.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #997 on: January 12, 2011, 11:21:31 PM

Rumors are swirling that Norm Chow is coming to the Utes which is both bizarre and awesome at the same time.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #998 on: January 13, 2011, 06:17:26 AM

So I just googled the wonderlic since I've heard of it a bunch but really had no idea what it was besides "a test."

I found this nugget on wikipedia
Wonderlic, Inc. claims a score of at least 10 points suggests a person is literate
ACK!
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #999 on: January 13, 2011, 06:18:48 AM

Rumors are swirling that Norm Chow is coming to the Utes which is both bizarre and awesome at the same time.

As a OC or HC?  If OC, then that's awesome.  If HC, then still kinda awesome as long as he calls the plays and develops the QBs.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1000 on: January 13, 2011, 06:47:52 AM

So I just googled the wonderlic since I've heard of it a bunch but really had no idea what it was besides "a test."

I found this nugget on wikipedia
Wonderlic, Inc. claims a score of at least 10 points suggests a person is literate
ACK!

Yeah.  And scoring a 6 means that VY pretty much didn't even try.  6 is borderline mentally retarded level for the test, and VY is a reasonable intelligent (but highly immature) guy. 
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1001 on: January 13, 2011, 08:23:59 AM

As a OC or HC?  If OC, then that's awesome.  If HC, then still kinda awesome as long as he calls the plays and develops the QBs.

OC along with Tim Davis coming in as O line coach. Our head coach is a defensive guy so he would be turning the offense over to Chow basically.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1002 on: January 13, 2011, 08:35:13 AM

OC along with Tim Davis coming in as O line coach. Our head coach is a defensive guy so he would be turning the offense over to Chow basically.

Chow is a spectacular offensive mind, that is for sure.  I often wonder about how easy he is to work with, however, as he moves around a lot and nobody is ever sad to see him go. 
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1003 on: January 13, 2011, 09:33:21 AM

He apparently has a pretty big ego but he was at byu for twenty seven years.

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1004 on: January 13, 2011, 01:48:13 PM

He apparently has a pretty big ego but he was at byu for twenty seven years.

Wow.  He must be a lot older than I realized.  Well, I hope he turns out well for you guys in your first year in the Pac 12.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1005 on: January 13, 2011, 01:51:13 PM

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but didn't he play ball at Utah?  If so, that may be his motivation for going back. 

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1006 on: January 13, 2011, 02:02:46 PM

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but didn't he play ball at Utah?  If so, that may be his motivation for going back.  

Yes, he did.  In the '60s.

Wikipedia Link

Edit:  and apparently he's Dr. Chow. 
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1007 on: January 13, 2011, 03:24:25 PM

He's also basically being shoved out the door at ucla as he and neuheisal never got on very well.

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #1008 on: January 13, 2011, 03:28:32 PM

That by itself should be a point in Chow's favor.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1009 on: January 13, 2011, 04:12:14 PM

Has ANYONE ever really gotten along with Neuheisel?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1010 on: January 13, 2011, 04:38:29 PM

Yeah, but look at the number of busts to get to those guys.  The return on your pick is pretty bad.  Not off the top of my head:  JaMarcus Russel, Brady Quinn, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, Alex Smith, Jason Campbell, JP Losman, Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Michael Vick, Chad Pennington.....

In Palmer's defense he was amazing until the Steelers destroyed his knee. He's never mentally come all the way back from that is how it seems to me and I watch every Bengals game.

Jay Cutler is not a bad QB you're smoking crack. Vince Young is not a bad QB but something is wrong with that kid no doubt. I think Leinart will play decent ball at some point somewhere. Jason Campbell had no chance on the Redskins he's proven on the Raiders (still terrible) that's he can win games in the league. Byron Leftwich can win games as did Pennington when not hurt 24/7.

I get that your saying ROI but any position can be hurt often, be a headcase or just not operate within the system you need a QB that has the tools first and foremost and its rare for QB talent to drop that low.

How the fuck is Mallet the next Brett Favre? First of all fuck Mallet that kid can't handle pressure for shit. If he had any kind of clutch and wasn't self destructing he could have stolen that game from Ohio State thanks to the bs touchback and blocked punt. I saw nothing in his play that makes me think of Favre. He's more like Drew Bledsoe.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1011 on: January 13, 2011, 09:42:12 PM

I'm sure a few co-eds at UW or CU did....
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1012 on: January 14, 2011, 06:19:59 AM

Pretty much every recruit. He's a smooth-talking mother.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1013 on: January 14, 2011, 09:37:56 AM

Speaking of LT and young people.....   awesome, for real
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football  
Jump to: