Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:38:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Summer Festival 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer Festival  (Read 6178 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: June 29, 2010, 03:12:40 PM

Here already?  I'm still getting damn tokens from that anniversary shit.  I'm going to adopt a "No Token Drops" stance because it fills my inventory and breaks up the flow of combat looting when I can't just do a LOOT ALL.  Stupid binding tokens.

On the other hand, I'm hoping to get two more horses.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 08:03:07 AM

Here already?  I'm still getting damn tokens from that anniversary shit.  I'm going to adopt a "No Token Drops" stance because it fills my inventory and breaks up the flow of combat looting when I can't just do a LOOT ALL.  Stupid binding tokens.

On the other hand, I'm hoping to get two more horses.

Today (June 30) is the last day for tokens to drop.
The gift vendors will honor the tokens until next week (July 7).
Forum Announcement

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 09:15:55 AM

The tokens being Iron, Sliver, etc? I now have half a bag full of new festival tokens. Spent about 4 hours running around and doing basically nothing productive other than filling in some of the Shire stable points I hadn't yet visited.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 09:50:48 AM

Iron, Silver, etc. Yep.

There's a vendor by the boar fountain in Bree, who'll barter lots of 5 tokens in exchange for gifts.

Gifts are things like crafting scrolls, health potions, cosmetic wear, and food. I got a sapphire shard (crafting mat) once.

WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 02:30:37 PM

I have a sack of those too- spent some a while back, but haven't bothered since then. I guess I should probably spend the rest or just destroy them soonish.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 06:41:30 PM

Good news, everyone!  I throw away any token less than platinum.  And I'm eyeing those suspiciously.

But I digress!  It's time to get some summer tokens.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 06:00:39 AM

The tokens being Iron, Sliver, etc? I now have half a bag full of new festival tokens. Spent about 4 hours running around and doing basically nothing productive other than filling in some of the Shire stable points I hadn't yet visited.

LOTRO has lots of stuff like that that will take you off the level path, it can become a problem with out heavy moderation or intervention.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 10:30:48 PM

They need to make these things stop taking up the very limited inventory space in this game. Skirmish marks as well. WoW eventually got it right with their PVP badges and so forth.

Anyone got a link to a walkthrough? I'd like to get any horses, then move on with my limited time.

Found an old one on Massively.
http://www.massively.com/2008/07/09/lotro-summer-festival-guide-page-4-summerdays/

I'll assume the dance emote "quests" are just as unintuitive as they were over the Yule Festival.

Wow. fishing quests for tokens. I can't think of anything more fucking tedious and retarded than fishing in MMOGs.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 11:24:53 PM by Azazel »

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 07:18:04 AM

OK, having gotten myself a horse over the weekend, here's my rundown.

There are two horse races you can ride in, the grounds north of Bree, and the track south of Michel Delving.
In either place, if you win the race, you can get a horse token or choose to get 3 summerfest tokens instead.
(You need 1 horse token and 12 summer tokens to buy one of the special horses).

There are two kinds of summer horse this year, the Lithe Steed, and the Pale Golden Summer Horse. Which almost makes me think that the Turbine office is near a local micro-brewery.

There are two races that you can bet on (and observe, not participate in). The hobbits have an eating race, and the dwarves have a keg race. Both races involve 4 npc's that go from one station to the next. At each station they either eat or drink, and are either slowed, paused, or unaffected. Unaffected racers sprint to the next station. Paused racers stand still, then sprint to the next station. Slowed racers walk very slowly to the next station. To win, you need to pick one racer before the race starts, and then hope they win. The quest text tells you to "observe" the race, so I wouldn't be surprised if you'd fail the quest by leaving the race area, similar to the dance quest. Races start every 10 minutes, but you can only interact with the race npc for 3 minutes before the race starts. And you have to give him a token that you obtained from a different festival npc. And note: you have to talk to him twice to actually give him the token (I'm speaking from sad experience on this one). This is all very complicated and tedious, but if you pick the winner, you get 12 summer tokens, which is enough to buy a horse right out.

There is (by my observation) a 7 or 8 hour cooldown on running a horse race (the horse races are on separate cooldowns), and a 2 hour cooldown on buying the betting tokens for the eating and keg races.

There might be other ways to get summer tokens, but my characters don't fish, and I didn't find anything else.

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 01:42:56 PM

A bit of advice for the horse races.  Take your time on the wooded platforms.  As long as you don't fall in the soup, there's no hurry.  The mistake I see most people make is to think they are actually in a race and run across the narrow, winding platforms without stopping, inevitably screwing up and taking a bath.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 01:56:43 AM

Yeah, the hobbit and dwarf races work out as an alright way to get the tokens. A bit slow and they basically lack player input, but it's ok I guess since you can kind of afk them. They are actually okay/amusing the first couple of times as you follow the dwarfs and hobbits around, and there's some nutjob there right now roleplaying himself as an extra dwarf contestant (I say nutjob because the only people there are my wife's afk character that I am botting, and myself, alt-tabbed here)

I've gotten my wife's and my mains and alts 2 horses each, as well as a collection of cloaks, dresses and waistcoat things with a ton of coins spare. House crap is a possibility, but then you have to store that shit as well, and though she has an ingame house, noone ever goes there including her and it's already long full of other useless housing shit.

WayAbvPar

Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 01:19:34 PM

I have a bunch of tokens and fish  taking up most of a bag in my inventory. How long does it take to get something decent (like a mount)? I am very close to just selling/destroying them.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 01:33:04 PM

Short answer: the minimum time is: as long as it takes you to win one horse race and pick one hobbit race (or keg race winner).
The maximum would be as long as it takes you to win 5 horse races. So, potentially quite a while, if you suck at the race and/or don't log on very often.

Long answer:
If you pick the winner in the keg race (at Thorin's Hall) or the hobbit race (atop Bag End), you get 12 summer tokens, which is enough to buy a horse.
You can buy 2 betting tokens for the keg race every 2 hours, likewise for the hobbit race.

If you ride in the horse races and win, you get either a mount token or 3 summer tokens. You can re-try each race every 7 or 8 hours (I'm not sure which).

To buy a mount, you need 1 horse token, 12 summer tokens, and some cash to buy a writ from the horse barter npc. If you are level 35+ and already have purchased a standard mount, the writ will cost something like 1.5 gold. Otherwise the writ is supposed to be more expensive.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 02:10:03 PM

I have a bunch of tokens and fish  taking up most of a bag in my inventory. How long does it take to get something decent (like a mount)? I am very close to just selling/destroying them.

Are you in the guild?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
WayAbvPar

Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 07:31:34 PM

Riders of Middle Earth? Yes.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 04:21:53 AM

Most items from the Race Vendor guys cost 12 prize tokens. The 3 cloaks look pretty cool, there's an okay couple of suits, and if you have a girl character or like cross-dressing there are some dresses.

12 prize tokens is the amount you win from the Dorf/hobbit races. The Race Vendor guy gives you 2 gambling tokens as a simple quest -talk ot him to take it, then talk to him again to get your gambling tokens. You can repeat this every 2 hours. The Hobbit Race vendor guy is at the Partay Tree. The dorf one is in the pub in the bowels of Ironforge Thorin's Hall. If you're only going to get a few items/going to skip the silly title or don't have a teleport, I recommend just doing the Hobbit one - for the dwarfs you have to zone in and out as well as go for a long run to the pub and back, and also have to do half of it dismounted. For the Hobbit one it's like walking from where you're sitting now to your front or back yard.

Every 10 minutes, the dorfs on the steps of Thorin's Hall and the hobbits up above Bag End run the races - this is why the hobbit one is much better= much closer. The races are actually okay the first couple of times, then they become tedious. The randomness does not help the fun factor. It's the sort of thing to do while semi-afk. Or stockpile a bunch of the tokens by logging your character on every 2 hours (you can have as many as you like)

Every win will net you 12 prize tokens. 12 prize tokens will get you one of the items I mentioned above.

If you want a horse, you will also need to be level 35+ to do the timed horse-race quest. There's two of them - one at the Bree Fairgrounds north of the city, and one in Michael Delving, down near the hobbit homesteads. The Hobbit one is slightly easier. There's an 8 or 10 hour retry timer on these. The prize is your choice of 3 prize tokens, or a horse token.

Once you have a horse token and 12 prize tokens, you go up to the horse trainer/vendor guy north of the Bree fairgrounds and talk to one of the guys next to the entry gate. There are 2 guys there. One is the Spring vendor who they have left there for some reason (Spring mounts quests were all fucked up for some reason) and the other guy is the Summer vendor.

Talk to the summer guy, and "buy" from him (not barter). You will need a "Certificate of Horse Ownership" which costs 4g if you don't have a horse (free goats don't count) and 1.6 gold if you already have a horse. Exit the interface and then talk to him again. Choose "Barter" this time, and select your chosen mount. The Golden one is a white horse with golden armour plates on it. The other one (ithil? ethel?) is a brown and white spotted horse with a green blanket on it with some patterns. There's pics of both on the net.

Now, and this is important - if you do not already have a horse and want to get both - go through the entire pricess for the first horse that you want but only buy ONE certificatre of horse ownership, not two. Then click the horse icon in your bag to "learn" the horse. Then do the process again. This makes sure that the second cert will cost you 1.6 gold, and not 4 gold.. When I went up there with my wife's character, 2 horse tokens and 24 prize tokens I was WTFing at the 4g cost of the second certificate for a moment before I figured it out...

You can probably throw the fish away. Unless you can buy things not available from hobbit/dwarf prize token winnings. Not sure if you can or can't, but I can't be arsed fishing to find out now that I have my cloaks and horses.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Summer Festival  
Jump to: