Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:36:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Active Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Active Thread  (Read 89937 times)
WayAbvPar

on: June 14, 2010, 01:17:25 PM

I just want to get the fuck out of Bree-land. The goddamned Old Forest is some sort of sadistic torture den. I went through and finished all the quests in it just so I could tell it to go fuck itself in my head. They got the atmosphere right, but the mazy cockblocking bullshit is just crap. I think I got as far as Lone-Lands in beta, so I am looking forward to everything beyond.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 02:11:47 PM

I just want to get the fuck out of Bree-land. The goddamned Old Forest is some sort of sadistic torture den. I went through and finished all the quests in it just so I could tell it to go fuck itself in my head. They got the atmosphere right, but the mazy cockblocking bullshit is just crap. I think I got as far as Lone-Lands in beta, so I am looking forward to everything beyond.

I acually like the old forest.  Key is, use your map.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 05:27:56 AM

Gosh, you would have hated the original version, I personally loved it.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 07:10:37 AM

I know my limitations, and idle chit-chat when I could be grinding X is one of them.

If you're grinding in LotRO, you're doing it wrong.  VERY wrong.  

There is ZERO reason to rush to the endgame... except to bankroll an alt. 

My max character is level 48, haven't been to Moria.  No, I have been "grinding" quests and deeds and festivals.  Recently been poking at the auctions.  Crafting a bit lately, got to Tier 6 Scholar a week ago.  I had to force myself to do only even-level quests to get my guardian Fatwing to level 30 yesterday, which just gave me another thing to do (skirmishes).  There is a huge amount of stuff to do and collect in this game that has nothing to do with end-game.  Just most people don't remember that, I guess.  Also I was being a bit hyperbolic.  I enjoy the world, I am not rushing to level, but I don't ever just sit around and chew the fat.  That's what bars are for.

The old Old Forest used to move around.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 07:50:49 AM

I acually like the old forest.  Key is, use your map.

I just recently figured this out as well. I don't know exactly when they added the map, but it's awesome.

Another protip: they also changed things up in the Barrow Downs, so that now there are a couple of quest hubs, instead of you having to run back and forth to Bree and Adso's Camp and wherever the hell else, to gather up the quests. When you enter the Downs from the north, there's a corpse on the ground. (He's labeled Unfortunate Traveler, or something along those lines, so as to distinguish him from a loot bag.) He gives you a bread crumb to the first quest hub, and then once you've done the quests at that hub, you get a bread crumb to the second hub.

Alternatively, the first quest hub is in the passage between Bombadil's house and the Barrow Downs, so if you're coming from that way, you can start right in.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
WayAbvPar

Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 09:03:51 AM

The old Old Forest used to move around.

I thought I remembered that from beta. Once I used the map I could eventually get out, but it was still a fucking nightmare at night. Can't see anything at all, which makes it tough to tell when to make the turn your map tells you is coming up. And oh, the goddamned trash mobs (Barrows is bad for that too). Light blue to green cons swarming me if I try to travel past them. Argh.

As for Barrows quests, I have run all over that place and there was still a couple I didn't have- was with Furiously and he was getting drops I wasn't, and he finally shared the quests. There is almost an overwhelming amount to do all over, which is actually pretty nice. Some spots are really tough to solo at even con or even a bit below, but there are plenty of other quests to do solo that aren't as tough.

I am really getting a crafting itch. God I wish I had more bag storage and more bank storage. I am having fun finding stuff that sells on the AH too. Maybe I managed to stay away from DIKU long enough, because I am definitely having more fun than I thought I would. One exception- WTF, cooking? I have probably 15-20 recipes, and have not had the full ingredients for any of them. EVER. I am storing foodstuffs in the bank; eventually I am going to sit down and start cooking. Hopefully I can find at least a couple of recipes I can fulfill by then.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:05:40 AM by WayAbvPar »

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 11:13:19 AM

I am really getting a crafting itch. God I wish I had more bag storage and more bank storage. I am having fun finding stuff that sells on the AH too. Maybe I managed to stay away from DIKU long enough, because I am definitely having more fun than I thought I would. One exception- WTF, cooking? I have probably 15-20 recipes, and have not had the full ingredients for any of them. EVER. I am storing foodstuffs in the bank; eventually I am going to sit down and start cooking. Hopefully I can find at least a couple of recipes I can fulfill by then.

Buy a house and learn farming.  Noob.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 11:18:10 AM

Is there any database I can check for items ala Thottbot for WoW? Knowing what is actually rare and what is purple but drops (or is crafted) everywhere would save me a lot of time in game, and give me something to do at work  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Also- I am starting to remember why I didn't bother with crafting in beta. The interdependence that requires 2 or more characters to produce one item is just such a cockblock. Jeweler is nice since I can gather everything myself.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:20:20 AM by WayAbvPar »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 11:20:52 AM

The Lorebook

Or

Lord of the Rings Online Database

Also, dont forget to enter the lotteries over at mylotro.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 12:40:01 PM

Is there any database I can check for items ala Thottbot for WoW? Knowing what is actually rare and what is purple but drops (or is crafted) everywhere would save me a lot of time in game, and give me something to do at work  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Also- I am starting to remember why I didn't bother with crafting in beta. The interdependence that requires 2 or more characters to produce one item is just such a cockblock. Jeweler is nice since I can gather everything myself.

The Vocations (the profession bundles of 3) are set up like that, on purpose I think.

The Tinker vocation has Jeweller and Prospector, so you can provide your own raw mats for jewelling. But you also get Cook, and you can't supply a Cook without a Farmer.

The Yeoman has Cooking and Farming, so that person can farm up their own stuff and then cook it. But the Yeoman also has Tailoring, which gets hung out to dry because the Yeoman can't make his own leather.

And so on. I'd have preferred by far a system where I could pick one (or two) of the crafting professions, and then also be allowed to take the gathering professions for each one. Or just have the gathering professions come bundled. You could still have a viable raw materials economy -- there are always going to be people too lazy to gather their own timber, etc.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 12:58:47 PM

Explorer = Forester (wood/leather) + Prospector (ores) + Tailor
Gather hides from beasts, turn into leather; gather wood, refine; mine ore, refine.  As a bonus, can make capes and rugs.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 01:03:34 PM

They did reduce the materials required and the dependencies across the board recently.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 01:05:39 PM

I know they said that they reduced the dependencies, but I haven't been able to determine how.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 01:34:24 PM

If you're not super serious about crafting, I recommend Explorer (especially if you play a light/medium armor char). You can harvest and process 3.5 (the .5 are the gems from mining) different kinds of resources, sell everything you mine on the AH for decent cash [it helped pay for my horse back then], and you can use the hides to level up your tailoring as you go if you want. If you don't want to mess with that, you can just sell the hides along with the wood and metals/gems that you harvest.

If you DO level tailoring, the only catch seems to be around the exceptional hide level... it is for a fairly small level range and you'll need a *lot* of it to master that tailoring tier.

edit: man I should've looked at page 3, I totally got ninja posted! /sadface

WayAbvPar

Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 02:30:06 PM

Neither one of the links previously seem to show average or past AH prices; I imagine that is because Turbine doesn't allow any 3rd party software to interact with the client, yes?

Edit- Also would like to see what mobs drop which items...always fun to check the random drops for whatever zone I am playing in to see what kind of goodies might drop.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 02:33:26 PM by WayAbvPar »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 02:41:39 PM

I know they said that they reduced the dependencies, but I haven't been able to determine how.

IIRCC, numbers of items was reduced, and especially in low level stuff, dependency items were removed all together (and of course a ton of stuff can be bought off the venders).

Neither one of the links previously seem to show average or past AH prices; I imagine that is because Turbine doesn't allow any 3rd party software to interact with the client, yes?

That is correct AFAIK, there isn't anything that's going to tell you AH prices but the AH. I think that second link I posted does indeed tell you what drops off what, though its not that friendly. I think there is also a wiki i used before for such things, though, no idea if its up to date, especially with the upcoming changes. I'll dig up a link.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 02:44:13 PM by Mrbloodworth »

WayAbvPar

Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 04:45:41 PM

Split everything not related to the Roll Call thread off to its own topic to make it more readable for future n00bs looking to see who is playing.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 07:44:42 AM

Link I promised.

Just keep in mind, with all the recent revamps and stuff it may not be 100% up to date.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 07:47:17 AM by Mrbloodworth »

WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 08:31:01 AM

Thanks! I couldn't remember allakhazam for the life of me. I remember them from DAOC days, but my links were all gone.

WayAbvPar

Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 10:27:31 AM

So- level 30 now. Someone tell me what the deal is with skirmishes. About done with Lone Lands- what is the fastest path to get me ready for Moria?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 12:42:46 PM

About done with Lone Lands- what is the fastest path to get me ready for Moria?

I went to North Downs, found some even-level quests in Othrikar.  If you are brave you can go to Oatbarton and work your way up to Tinnudir, but that's orange/red up there.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 12:51:25 PM

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 07:09:26 PM

So- level 30 now. Someone tell me what the deal is with skirmishes. About done with Lone Lands- what is the fastest path to get me ready for Moria?

Check the level thread.  Do Skirms.  Pick herbalist as a pet.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 02:57:33 PM

Got my new LM to 33 - very interesting and different class.  Anyone have advice on LM?  I am thinking of specializing in the + Fire damage tree.

I do not play like most LM's I see around.  I currently use Raven as my main pet and seem to handle myself pretty well.

WayAbvPar

Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 08:55:30 AM

Been sick as a dog for about 2 weeks, so I have rarely felt like playing anything. Just as I was getting better, the BC2 patch finally dropped, so I have been playing that. I have a metric shitton of quests and rest XP to grind through, so I should be leveling like mad when I get back.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 05:47:11 AM

Whenever I read "BC2" I think BattleCruiser 2.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 02:41:32 PM

So heard and saw screenies that from the Beta you can buy Radiance gear with skirmish marks.  Is that live in the game now?  Also, you can buy 2nd age symbols with skirmish marks.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 02:58:34 PM

So heard and saw screenies that from the Beta you can buy Radiance gear with skirmish marks.  Is that live in the game now?  Also, you can buy 2nd age symbols with skirmish marks.

That's not in yet, that's coming with the new dungeon finder thing.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 10:22:04 PM

So I finished what I had thought was the whole Book 1 quest today and got my LIGHT FROM THE SHADOW title, only to get dumped into a Book 9! Looks like I may not be heading into Moria yet after all. Level 49 now, so I guess I have a little while before I can do stuff in there anyway.

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 06, 2010, 12:03:21 AM

Are you saying that because you have a compulsion to do all the books in order?  I ask because you can be working on getting into Moria right now with no problem.  Volume 2 doesn't require you to have completed Volume 1.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 06, 2010, 01:44:45 AM

I do have a compulsion to do them in order, yes. I did do the start of book 2 out of order though so I could start working on my legendary whatnot.

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 06, 2010, 09:35:35 AM

In that case, I have some bad news for you.  Volume one has fifteen books.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 06, 2010, 10:59:20 AM

Bad news, or awesome news  awesome, for real

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #33 on: August 06, 2010, 01:35:32 PM

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 06, 2010, 03:58:13 PM

Well, bad if you were excited about entering Moria any time soon.  Otherwise, good, because book quests are fun.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Active Thread  
Jump to: