Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:23:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: i4 information 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: i4 information  (Read 11881 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: January 21, 2005, 01:08:34 AM

From various statesman and other dev interviews and posts that I can't be bothered to quote...

i4...
- will be called Colosseum.
- will introduce arena based pvp.
- will include a new egyptian themed villian group.
- will include new costume options.
- is almost certain to include a new zone, lvl 30-40 is pencilled in as the target range, but tbc at this time.
- may include server to server transfer options (or this may be dropped back to i5).
- may include new origin specific mission arcs.
- has previously been mooted to include the next 2 epic ATs; called Incarnate and Corolax. An Incarnate is 'the AT that Statesman is'. But the devs have gone quiet on this subject over the last couple of months and I can't find any hints on whether they are still in.

In other news, the non-combat skill system has been ruled out of i4, and is now scheduled to be the focus of i5.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 02:21:52 AM

That's it. I'm going to start playing this game again.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 06:22:04 AM

Hope they find time to add "flashback" mode in aswell. I wouldn't mind getting some of thoose missed acomplishment badges without having to resort to bribing lowbies into letting me join their missions.

New costumes and arena based pvp sounds great.

Wiiiiii!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 10:53:05 AM

I cancelled WOW and re-upped.

jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 10:59:48 AM

An Egyptian based villian group sounds cool.

More costume options - hehe - the game that set standard for character creation takes it another step.

The arena - nice.  It will be interesting to see how well they execute on this compared to EQ's version of pvp by using similar zones.  My expectations, based on everything else from Cryptic - are high :)

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 01:17:58 PM

I'm still waiting for a patch which introduces a reason to play a character of the 'Controller' archetype.  Or perhaps one that just admits defeat and removes it.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 03:15:15 PM

Quote from: Alkiera
I'm still waiting for a patch which introduces a reason to play a character of the 'Controller' archetype.  Or perhaps one that just admits defeat and removes it.

Alkiera

Your controller ever stick with it long enough to get his pets?

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 03:17:04 PM

Uh.  What's wrong with Controllers?  They're quite powerful and popular.  I happen to have a level 37 controller that I enjoy a great deal.

Really looking forward to more costume options.  Here's hoping for a harlequin-style mask.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 11:23:09 PM

My controller is Ice/ empathy at level 37.  He pretty much rocks.

"  HaemishM.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #9 on: January 22, 2005, 12:09:08 AM

Quote from: schild
That's it. I'm going to start playing this game again.

I wish I could find out what server I was on Without reupping.

Just the PvP is almost enough for me...maybe I could stand the grind for 5-10 more lvls.

And I want my comic again too, I miss it. =(

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 22, 2005, 02:21:22 AM

Quote from: Alkiera

Depends what controller you want to be....

Illusion primary with rad or storm secondary can be considered fotm.

Ice and fire are considered 'above par'. For ice you need regular groups, for fire you need regular groups up to 32.

Earth and mind are currently about par, but you need to play exclusively with an sg group (because they can't solo), on the upside they have by far the strongest control options of any set.

Gravity is probably the gimpiest powerset across any AT.

If you are refering to the time when controllers were not needed because every battle either ended within a quarter of a second or resulted in severe hero casualties no matter what a controller did, then yeah, that's long since over, mission sliders, mob difficulty increases, blaster nerfs, and better groups more likely to take on tougher opponents all contributed to that. Controllers suffer a little up until they have a decent selection of powers (because unlike an attack AT, you aren't getting more redundant damage to simply speed up your cycle time, you tend to be getting more and more unique powers that have to be used situationally), but a well built group will almost always contain a controller or two.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005, 05:07:05 AM

Quote from: eldaec
i4...
- will introduce arena based pvp.
- may include server to server transfer options (or this may be dropped back to i5).

Whoa, nice.  Good idea to put pvp in now and work out the bugs in a restricted setting before going all out on CoV.

And interserver transfers?  Well thats just love for a game like CoH.  I can see some validity of people against it in other games where you might 'hurt' a stable economy.  CoH doesn't have that problem so being able to move your favorite character over to where your friends are is just an all around good idea.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #12 on: January 22, 2005, 05:40:48 AM

Quote from: Murgos

And interserver transfers? Well thats just love for a game like CoH.  I can see some validity of people against it in other games where you might 'hurt' a stable economy.  CoH doesn't have that problem so being able to move your favorite character over to where your friends are is just an all around good idea.

Sure, no economy problems, but character names are more important in CoH than elsewhere. So that's kind of a bitch, I guess.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 22, 2005, 05:50:10 AM

Heh, I made several characters with 'spoof' names and themes so yeah, if you wanted to move a popular name around it could be a bitch.

Lets see I had

Jack Burton (AR blaster, white wife beater, unshaved, shades, long hair, brown boots, blue jeans)
Buckaroo Bonzai (white suit tie and katana)
Sho Nuff (with fro, running suit, and tanker with the powerset that made you glow red when attacking also tall skinny and black)
Dangeresque (short, massive body type, black tights, big red gloves, red mask, sunglasses, suit jacket - SS/inv  tanker)

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #14 on: January 22, 2005, 08:21:11 AM

Quote from: Stray

And interserver transfers? Well thats just love for a game like CoH.  I can see some validity of people against it in other games where you might 'hurt' a stable economy.  CoH doesn't have that problem so being able to move your favorite character over to where your friends are is just an all around good idea.

Sure, no economy problems, but character names are more important in CoH than elsewhere. So that's kind of a bitch, I guess.

Since I've been using the same name online for 10+ years, anyone who takes it on another server should be dragged out into the street and publicly flogged and stoned with bean bags.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 24, 2005, 04:01:46 AM

If you head up to the north end of Talos island, you can actually see where they've 'started' construction of an arena :)

Workmen hanging around and bitching about aching backs and who's buying lunch etc...

Nice touch I thought.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 24, 2005, 05:24:00 AM

Quote from: tar
If you head up to the north end of Talos island, you can actually see where they've 'started' construction of an arena :)

There are a few of these clues around Paragon city now.

In FF you can find a building which is 'in the process of being converted' for SG HQs.

In PI you can see a teleporter being constructed - I've heard mixed reports on this either simply being a link to the Rikti crash site, or possibly also being part of the arrangements for inter-server travel.

Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 24, 2005, 08:46:34 AM

Quote from: tar

Workmen hanging around and bitching about aching backs and who's buying lunch etc...

Nice touch I thought.

There's another one in Galaxy City. And yeah, it's a nice touch.

Also
Sho Nuff (with fro, running suit, and tanker with the powerset that made you glow red when attacking also tall skinny and black)

Who's the shogun of Harlem?!

Wiiiiii!
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #18 on: January 24, 2005, 09:58:02 AM

Last time I was in the game I saw a Bruce Leroy running around in the jumpsuit outfit. I laughed a bit at that.
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 29, 2005, 11:06:01 PM

Someone posted this on the boards:
From PC Gamer March 2005 pg. 18:

Paragon City-- Breaking news erupted in the City of Heroes universe today as the mighty champion Statesman (aka Jack Emmert, lead designer and co-founder of Cryptic Studios) made a startling announcement: Player-versus-Player (PvP) combat is coming this spring.

In the free downloadable update "Issue #4: The Arena", the city's heroes will be able to test their abilities against one another in specially built stadiums (seen currently under construction in "Issue #3"). Combatants will be able to face off against mano-a-mano or in super-teams of up to eight heroes. Battle zones will be instanced for the participants, and will be set up to replicate familiar environments such as city ruins and Atlas Park. A security level of 14 will be required for admittance.

Another astonishing revelation: The arena will also house themed conflicts that incorporate mission objectives and even bestow temporary powers onto those bold enough to enter.

Even the most seemingly mundane powers will be useful in PvP battle. For example, Statesman tells us that "taunting" another hero will force them to attack you... even against their will. Likewise, an opponent who becomes "confused" by a Controller-class hero will be unable to tell friend from foe.

The "Issue #4" update will also introduce amazing "body scaling" technology to Paragon City's protectors, allowing them to tweak the size of waists, arms, and cheekbones... among other body parts. And direct from NCsoft's arists in Korea comes new costume-design elements inspired by anime and manga.

But what about the rumored crafting and skill system? "I was so terrified that we'd produce something that wouldn't be right," says Statesman about the delay. "We designed a whole system and it just didn't cut the mustard. So it's my fault."

In happier news, Statesman is gazing towards City of Heroes' first anniversary this April. Though details are shrouded in secrecy, Paragon City's first superhero promises a huge celebration and special events to mark the occasion. --"Snapper" Chuck Osborn

I like the idea of taunts pulling enemies off your friends, even if the bad guys are other players. Adding body changing to the already impressive costume system is pretty incredible. The added manga/anime options do scare me a bit though. I hope it won't turn CoH into a Dragonball convention...
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 30, 2005, 05:33:10 AM

You could already make a pretty passable Goku, I've seen dozens of pointy haired orange gi clad blasters.  Personally, I'm all for getting some alternate styles into the game.  I may prefer western character styles for general body (and AGE) appearance but the eastern costume styles can be pretty interesting.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #21 on: January 30, 2005, 06:08:36 AM

Already tons of Super Saiyans running around, or there were, so adding this stuff isn't likely to make it worse.  If anything, it might make them slightly less retarded looking.

Some really good stuff in there.  Gotta wonder about some of it, though.  Like how do they mean you're forced to attack a player who taunts you (you can only target them, or your character goes into auto mode... and if auto mode, what powers will they use)?  And what about the inherent taunt in tanker attack powers- will a tank hitting you make you attack them?

Having a PvP battle in an instance of Atlas Park is going to be awesome, though.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 31, 2005, 09:51:38 AM

Anyone got some Info on the planned release date of Issue 4 ?

I am quite tempted to reup, but I do want my PvP fix with it.

I guess WoW will do for now ...
*sighs*

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #23 on: January 31, 2005, 09:52:04 AM

Having PVP battles in Atlas would kick much ass. Too bad the environments aren't destructable, as that would be the ultimate shiznit. I wonder if they are going to use some form of "sidekicking" to balance out level differences, or if it's just going to be go in and get pummeled by a level 50.

Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 31, 2005, 10:44:14 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
Having PVP battles in Atlas would kick much ass. Too bad the environments aren't destructable, as that would be the ultimate shiznit. I wonder if they are going to use some form of "sidekicking" to balance out level differences, or if it's just going to be go in and get pummeled by a level 50.

I'm thinking since they set a level-14 cap (travel power) on the first PvP you can do, that everybody might be exemplared to the lowest level currently in PvP. Either that or Giant Monster Code turns on and everybody does percentages rather than absolutes (that is, a max-slotted level 50 attack will only wipe out a level 30 if a max-slotted level 30 attack could do the same).

8 */psy defenders would be a tough team to beat, since tightly grouped they can cap on defenses and every resist besides lethal and have massive attack ranges (and a very uncommon damage type)... but given that many mission objectives are going to involve positioning more than outright combat (eg capture the flag), their need for cohesiveness may be a weakness.

Group Fly and Team Teleport may turn out to be extremely useful because of the coordinated z-axis movement...

Lordy. This could get nice and complex.

I wonder if there are going to be avatar reskins as part of PvP, in part to mitigate the 5-Foot Bikini Tank/Giant Robot Controller possibilities.

--GF
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 31, 2005, 12:43:51 PM

I think the winter event is just a test for their "balance-code". If the code that applies to Winter Lords, is applied to every player in a PvP Arena, things could get interesting.
Now all they need is a decent reward system ...

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 01, 2005, 04:27:39 AM

Some post-i4 Statesman info...

Quote from: Statesman
After City of Villains, I want to focus on expanding our game universe across the world. Heroes and villains alike will be traveling across the planet…

Player Housing will first come into play with City of Villains. Essentially, Super Groups will need to pool their resources in order to rent space. The more public the location, the more expensive the rent! The system has both the flexibility of “build where you want” and “you must build here.”

We’re still fine tuning the raid system. It’s unlikely, however, that multiple super groups can ally during a raid. There’s simply too many performance issues once 200 some players are on screen with f/x.

Epic Archetypes to come: Avilans, Incarnates, Blood of the Black Stream and the Coralax.

We’ve got new power sets coming in Issue 5 for sure, and more to come afterwards!

I’m still toying with a new non-epic AT right now, but I’m not ready to talk about it yet.

[5th Council] information is scattered throughout the Striga Isle & Kheldian story arcs..but here it is in a nutshell…

Decades ago Arachnos planted Requiem and other agents within the 5th Column. Requiem used his outside ties and the power he gained from the Nictus to cultivate many followers within the Column. When SPIDER recently reared its head, the Center (former member of Aracnos and founder of the Council), decided it was time to complete the takeover of the 5th Column. After sending a signal to Requiem the Council was able to subdue all resistance virtually overnight. Any 5th Column troops not willing to convert were killed or driven away. The 5th Column is no more, now there is only the Council. [Note that SPIDER is generally asumed to be one of the two villian groups written in as a player option in CoV]

You’ll be learning A LOT more about Arachnos and Lord Recluse in the forthcoming novel from CDS Books…Web of Arachnos, written by the indefatigable Robert Weinberg.

jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 01, 2005, 09:20:26 AM

Very nice.  I will be interested to see Cryptic's idea of player housing in more detail - since it has been to me a failure in other games.  Eq2 has it - but it's impact on gameplay - if any has not caught on.

"  HaemishM.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #28 on: February 01, 2005, 09:27:15 AM

I wouldn't say player housing has been a complete failure in ALL other games. It's damn nice in DAoC, and with it's player vendors, downright essential. However, since there isn't any need for vendors in CoH, I'm not exactly sure what benefits it might provide. Perhaps a "Danger Room" for only guild members and their friends?

schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: February 01, 2005, 09:55:44 AM

I loved housing in SW:G....until it became nothing but houses.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 01, 2005, 10:01:27 AM

Bits and pieces of CoV news seem to indicate that SG bases may operate as the backdrops to PvP action.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #31 on: February 01, 2005, 11:53:09 AM

To the Bat (Country) Cave!

I'm pretty happy with WoW now, but I'm going to pull on the tights again for a change of pace. Too much good stuff constantly going on over there to leave for long. I think Cosmic is only lvl 24, heh.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #32 on: February 01, 2005, 07:13:03 PM

Also currently confirmed to be in Issue 4 are sliders for body parts (cheekbones and whatnot) to further allow customizability in the most customizable character generation system around.  May I just say- w00t.

schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: February 01, 2005, 07:19:18 PM

Whenabouts do you think this patch will be on it's way?

Edit: There's nothing "real quick" about message boards.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #34 on: February 01, 2005, 07:53:40 PM

You heartless bastards, you made me buy this game.  I hope you're satisfied.

Where's the locus of Bat Country groove?  Freedom?

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: i4 information  
Jump to: