Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:48:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Walking Dead 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 67 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Walking Dead  (Read 555139 times)
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

on: June 02, 2010, 12:32:04 PM

Thought we had a thread for this, but I guess the only mention was about AMC picking up the rights in the Mad Men thread.

Anyway, production has started on AMC's six part Walking Dead series, based on Robert Kirkman's great zombie book by the same name.

io9 has a short behind the scenes production thing and some promotional photos.

http://io9.com/5553571/first-look-at-amcs-walking-dead

Can not wait for this.

beer geek.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 08:01:35 PM

Even if it's terrible I'll probably still love it.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 08:24:24 AM

It's not a cartoon, though, right?  I love zombie shows and films, but I don't like cartoons.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 11:17:43 AM

Did you click on the link? It shows photos of actors right there. :P

beer geek.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 01:48:40 PM

Just the first one.  The second one didn't load fast enough so I skipped it.

Le0
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 07:07:27 AM

I'm currently reading the comic and I'm pretty sure I'll love this even if it is terrible!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 09:07:22 AM

Ah, it has that actor what is the son of the Jethro Tull guy, Ian Anderson!  He's much cuter.  Thank God.  He was also in that show "Teachers" which I haven't seen but I'd like to.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 02:05:50 AM

I'm still not sure why you'd do THIS instead of World War Z.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Triax
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 02:40:40 AM

Brad Pitt's Plan 9 Production company optioned the rights to that a while back, as I recall.

I'm glad is production company got it and not Leonardo DiCaprio's, as they were in a bidding war for it.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 07:03:14 AM

Yeah, they're screwing off with the WW-Z movie. It was supposed to start shooting last year. They had a director and apparently the script (by JMS of B5 fame) was fantastic, everyone was raving about how great it was. Currently the script is in rewrite and they're looking for a new director.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 10:35:16 AM

Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio should wrestle for it.  I'd watch THAT!  Yum.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 08:10:55 AM

beer geek.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 04:01:38 PM

Looks much better than the comic, but I'd like to see a weekly WWZ series just as much. There were so many different characters in WWZ I'd be disappointed to see so much cut for a movie.

edit: The Walker Brothers track from the trailer will never be the same for me.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 05:58:47 PM by stu »

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Le0
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 01:25:40 AM

Yeah, they're screwing off with the WW-Z movie. It was supposed to start shooting last year. They had a director and apparently the script (by JMS of B5 fame) was fantastic, everyone was raving about how great it was. Currently the script is in rewrite and they're looking for a new director.

Just read this on a blog
Lastly, the studio loves Matt Carnahan's World War Z draft, so it looks like Marc Forster could be directing pretty soon. Brad Pitt stars.

Source

I like Marc Forster and he's Swiss, nothing can go wrong  why so serious?

Also content:

The same blog could go to the shooting of the Pilot of The Walking Dead : http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/21186
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:28:27 AM by Le0 »
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 04:35:40 PM

480p version of the Comicon trailer here.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 08:51:52 PM

The first I heard of this was this fan made opening credit sequence and now my interest is piqued.

Premiers on October 31st.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 08:50:23 AM

Let us know how it goes.  UK chaps have a further wait till Friday.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 01:36:32 PM

Already up on torrent sites apparently.
Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 02:04:17 PM

Already up on torrent sites apparently.

Almost watched it last week, but waited due to terrible quality of the rips.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 02:49:43 PM

I'd rather not.

I'll wait till it's on in HD on my 50 inch tellybox.  Only a few days away.  Some vague pointers as to if it's worth it would be welcome though.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 03:14:49 PM

Hard to say yet.  The first episode covers about the first issue and a half of the comic, ending more or less with the tank scenes they show in the commercials (so before he gets to the camp), so you don't really get to meet a lot of the cast yet.  You get some extended stuff with Morgan and Duane which I thought was pretty good, a bit of Shane, a little of Lori and Carl, and I think Dale maybe gets 1 or 2 lines, and someone who I assume is either Carol, Amy, or Andrea gets a few lines as well.  Until we get a better look at the rest of the cast, it's hard to get a feel for how this is going to turn out.  I'm not convinced with the casting of Rick or Shane yet.  The opening conversation between them feels a bit wooden and awkward, although I think Rick gets a bit better further into the episode.  The zombie makeup and effects are pretty good, and the stuff at the end when he gets to Atlanta I thought was pretty well done also.
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 03:20:15 PM

Slow. Like the comic. Did you like the comic? You'll like this. My opinion anyways. Actors do a good job, even if we don't get to see many yet. Visual style and pacing is thus far as expected. Not disappointed.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 08:13:47 PM

I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I'm a fan of Darabont, and, to a lesser degree, the comic.  It won't blow you away, but as long as you know how to set your expectations you'll probably not be disappointed.  The effects and lighting were nice.  I'll definitely continue to watch.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 08:24:23 PM

Liked it. Will continue to watch. Dug the comic though, so that's not surprising. And well, zombies.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 08:32:09 PM

Never read the comic. Liked the show. Will watch again.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 11:30:46 PM

The lack of logic in this really frustrated me. When they leave the house to kill a zombie they leave the door wide open. Really? And the people on the CB live outdoors in tents? Again really? You could hole up forever in a sturdy building with a few entrances and instead you're living in tents in a trailer park? What exactly prevent zombies from walking in at any time and eating you?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 11:45:04 PM

The lack of logic in this really frustrated me. When they leave the house to kill a zombie they leave the door wide open. Really? And the people on the CB live outdoors in tents? Again really? You could hole up forever in a sturdy building with a few entrances and instead you're living in tents in a trailer park? What exactly prevent zombies from walking in at any time and eating you?

I keed.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 12:00:33 AM

Meh. That is going to be pretty much ANY Zombie franchise you could ever possibly think of. The Walking Dead isn't quiet what you're thinking of when you think of a typical zombie story. It focuses alot more on the actual survivors and the torment they go through being the survivors. The zombies are pretty much the slowest of the slow movie zombies. Which has been portrayed thus far pretty well I think. I doubt they will follow the comics religiously, but there were large stretches in those where you didn't see a single zombie for many issues. Basically the zombie apocalypse itself just becomes a backdrop to tell the story of these characters. I get the feeling the show itself is aiming to capture that part of the comics. Actual good drama, rather than the campy stuff you typically get in a Zombie film to fill in time between zombie action scenes.
I'll spoiler this bit:

Just think of it this way, you can't keep your guard up 100% of the time in a highly stressful emotional situation like that. They know the limits of the 'Walkers' and their behavior patterns. So they are willing to take small risks here and there so as to live some small semblance of an actual life without having to walk on eggshells all the time.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 01:30:40 AM

If you keep watching, you might just get an answer to some of your questions.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 02:42:06 AM

I thought it was great but mood wise, it's as depressing as watching East Enders.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 04:36:41 AM

But with less zombies.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 05:22:21 AM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #32 on: November 01, 2010, 07:22:28 AM

I loved it... it beat my expectations.  VERY good job with acting, effects, and plot.

I could see where being mobile would be an advantage.  Like they said, Zombies one on one are weaksauce - but when they mass in a group you are pretty fucked.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #33 on: November 01, 2010, 07:53:14 AM

Enjoyed it, really liked the atmosphere in the whole hospital scene. It really will come down to whether or not I give a crap about the characters in the long run, but I'll give it a chance.

Never read the comic, but I like that its going with zombies that still show some faint hint of memory (trying to go home, picking up a toy, etc). Also, I much prefer the classic slow shambling zombie - leads to more of a building sense of dread as they slowly close in.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #34 on: November 01, 2010, 09:28:19 AM

I like that its going with zombies that still show some faint hint of memory (trying to go home, picking up a toy, etc).

I think you're right, and that's something that the series seems to be doing that is sorely lacking in a lot of modern zombie fare; that is, the walking dead aren't just monsters, they're actually quite tragic.  I think the principle zombies were depicted with more humanity than I've seen in any film since the original Dawn or Day of the Dead.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 67 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Walking Dead  
Jump to: