Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 07:49:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Walking Dead 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 67 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Walking Dead  (Read 568586 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #875 on: March 25, 2013, 03:04:24 PM

Too much time where no Cylons are attacking but otherwise I'm on board.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #876 on: March 25, 2013, 03:23:09 PM

I never read the comic either. I just think that this is the worst season of this show.

The comic isn't really about the zombies either, it's about all the survivors. 

Other than that, season 2 was definitely worse than this season.  People complain this season is moving too slow but the last one was worse.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #877 on: March 25, 2013, 03:29:54 PM

I don't think this is the worst season, but in many ways it's the most uneven season.  This last episode was actually pretty well written.

Over and out.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #878 on: March 25, 2013, 03:31:04 PM

Last episode pulled the show out of the tailspin.  Finally, finally we get some much needed dialogue.  Motivations are reinforced, lines are drawn, choices are made.  Good.  This episodes theme to me was 'unity'.  Ricks final speech was overdue as he finally sees his reflection in the Governor. 

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #879 on: March 25, 2013, 04:48:24 PM

This season started incredibly strong, faded, and is picking up again at the end.  Pretty standard for a lot of good shows.  It is significantly better than season 2.  Also, while the characters don't always make completely rational decisions, they're still making better ones than they did last season.  Plus, you know, zombie apocolypse...I don't think I'd be all that rational either.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #880 on: March 25, 2013, 05:57:20 PM

I am pretty optimistic because two of the best recent episodes (last nights and the one were they meet Morgan again) have been from the new show runner.

I am the .00000001428%
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #881 on: March 25, 2013, 07:41:50 PM

I am pretty optimistic because two of the best recent episodes (last nights and the one were they meet Morgan again) have been from the new show runner.

I feel like Rick's apology speech was the new show runner apologizing to us.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #882 on: March 25, 2013, 11:37:43 PM

Too much time where no Cylons are attacking but otherwise I'm on board.

Best post.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #883 on: March 26, 2013, 03:38:23 AM

Thank Ron Moore for that one.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #884 on: March 26, 2013, 06:49:06 AM

This season started incredibly strong, faded, and is picking up again at the end. 

You just described every JJ Abrams series.  Ever.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #885 on: March 26, 2013, 09:38:23 AM

We can't root for him at all. Everything they've done to humanize him as someone who "just wants to create a safe place for his people" is totally undermined by all those things piled on. It's taken what could be an interesting, conflicted character into cardboard cutout.

We were never meant to root for him. I didn't see anything done to humanise him. He has never wanted to create a safe place for his people. He has never been a conflicted character, just a sick fuck. The thing with his daughter was just more of his sickness.

That's part of my problem. He's just been this one-note psycho. I don't know how he was in the comics either but he's a cardboard cutout. He's boring and silly and he's been one step from mustache twirling all season long. His stupidity is only eclipsed by Andrea. It's been a decent season but it's been in spite of him, not because of it. I think we could have had a real good season full of conflicting emotions and some subtlety so that there might actually seem like a real choice between Woodbury and the prison. But as it is, there's just no reason to root for Woodbuy or think the citizens are anything more than blind idiots.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #886 on: March 26, 2013, 09:42:54 AM

Just because everyone keeps banging on :

THE GOVERNOR IN THE COMICS WAS AN UTTER SHITFUCK FRUITCAKE.

Thanks.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #887 on: March 26, 2013, 09:45:33 AM

How close has this season's story with Woodbury followed the comics? Was the town just a flimsy mechanic to introduce said shitfuck fruitcake?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #888 on: March 26, 2013, 10:05:34 AM

Fuck it, spoiling it all.

Edited to Add ; The wiki isn't that bad.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Governor_(The_Walking_Dead)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:11:20 AM by Ironwood »

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #889 on: March 26, 2013, 10:50:07 AM

I like Woodbury and the Governor more in the series than in the comics.  Anyone who is mad about the Governor being one-dimensional needs to stop; what we got in the series is an improvement, believe it or not.  Also, yes, people in Woodbury are blind to what the Governor is doing, but they're reacting very similarly to how people react in the real world when someone comes along and brings them normalcy during a difficult time, even if he is a psychopath.  In fact, it's pretty common.  You don't  have to have someone to root on the other side to make a good story, or make it believable, either.

In fact, I think damned near everything this season is better than what is in the comics, which have some of the worst dialogue I've read in a comic and are very overrated.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #890 on: March 26, 2013, 12:05:41 PM

Wow, ok. Yeah the series IS an improvement over the comics then... because that bit in the comics sounds pretty shitty and not worth spending much time on. I can see the problem though. The TV writers don't want to make him quite as obviously crazy but they haven't done a good job of disguising his crazy at all. The Woodbury idea in the TV show is a good one that has a lot of interesting story potential, but only if you make the Governor deeper than he is, which they can't do because they are following the over-the-top bad beats from the comic.

I like Robert Kirkman as a comics writer (his Invincible was pretty good for the first 50 or so issues I read) but the comics Governor sounds horribly written.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #891 on: March 26, 2013, 12:18:18 PM

He was abyssmal.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #892 on: March 26, 2013, 02:32:56 PM

The fact that the Woodbury citizens are so desperate for the pretense of both normalcy *and* that the walkers are just like scary animals they pit-fight for amusement is probably meant as some kind of commentary on our own ability to be distracted from shit-tastic government actions by "you won't believe what Kim Kardashian did to Honey Boo-Boo".  But it's either so veiled it sails right on by, or I'm just reaching for it to *mean* something besides giving the writers an excuse to turn Merle.

--Dave
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 02:40:52 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #893 on: March 26, 2013, 03:11:05 PM

I like Robert Kirkman as a comics writer (his Invincible was pretty good for the first 50 or so issues I read) but the comics Governor sounds horribly written.

Out of the entire run of the comic so far, the Governor has been the thing I disliked most. It's the level of cartoonish villainy you'd expect to see in superhero books. Based on the most recent issue of the comic though, I have a feeling Kirkman has just added something that is about to become the new most retarded thing he's put in the comics (and I say this as someone who is a fan of the comic for the most part despite its multiple flaws).
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #894 on: March 26, 2013, 03:12:32 PM

I'm just going to go ahead and put this out there.

The Walking Dead is not a very good comic at all.

And I love Zombie Stories.  It's just not very good.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #895 on: March 26, 2013, 03:22:06 PM

I enjoy it, and yet I can't argue with you on any of that.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #896 on: March 26, 2013, 04:00:56 PM

This season started incredibly strong, faded, and is picking up again at the end. 

You just described every JJ Abrams series.  Ever.

Except for Fringe. Which started out weak, got really good, got weak again and then ended well.

As for Walking Dead? Yeah, shit story if you stop and think about it, but I still enjoy the hell out of the show.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #897 on: March 27, 2013, 04:54:08 AM

I enjoy it, and yet I can't argue with you on any of that.

I enjoyed it too, but it just got silly shelling out for it when very little actually happened.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #898 on: March 27, 2013, 05:51:04 AM

That shit's expensive too.  I tried to get into the comics but after the first few batches I couldn't justify $8 for about 15 minutes of entertainment.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #899 on: March 27, 2013, 06:08:41 AM

I bought one of the huge compendium. $32 for 48 issues worth. Still haven't gotten past the first series though.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #900 on: March 27, 2013, 06:13:09 AM

I got them from my local library.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #901 on: March 28, 2013, 02:54:31 AM

For anyone who wants a minor spoiler on just how retarded things got in the most recent issue (#108) I sincerely hope this doesn't spoil anything for future season of the TV series because they need to sidestep this entirely:

Part of this makes me think that the reason they're on their third showrunner on the TV series is because at some point these guys ask Kirkman what he's got planned for the comic and he tells them about stuff like this prompting them to ask him if he's fucking crazy.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #902 on: March 28, 2013, 08:37:49 AM

About the Governor(TV), some of you touched on it, but there is one huge positive for that guy: hot showers.  You go long enough without a hot shower and you'll be pretty much drinking any koolaid that you are handed.  Andrea wants a fucking hot shower.  So, yes he's a nutcase, but he built a secure town with a relatively-amazing quality of life.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #903 on: March 28, 2013, 09:10:57 AM

About the Governor(TV), some of you touched on it, but there is one huge positive for that guy: hot showers.  You go long enough without a hot shower and you'll be pretty much drinking any koolaid that you are handed.  Andrea wants a fucking hot shower.  So, yes he's a nutcase, but he built a secure town with a relatively-amazing quality of life.

Hot shower, hot food, shelter, safety, fighting pits lined with zombies.  No doubt he is a psychopathic asshole, but given a choice between the two camps, I think I'd choose the Governor's.  I think most people would.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #904 on: March 28, 2013, 09:21:07 AM

No.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #905 on: March 28, 2013, 09:42:20 AM

Those people have zero clue he is a crazy psychopath in the first place.  The only ones who know are his henchmen, and they are people like Merle who don't much care.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:50:31 AM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #906 on: March 28, 2013, 10:00:17 AM

See, I could buy that right up until the pit fighting started. Then I'd be the slightest bit suspicious. By the time he's drafting kids with asthma to fight for him, I'd be all like "HELL NO."

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #907 on: March 28, 2013, 10:12:44 AM

He's drafting kids to fight for him because an armed gang of evil psychopaths attacked the town. The average resident doesn't have a clue what's really going on. They just know that suddenly these guys were invading what had been a peaceful safe place.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #908 on: March 28, 2013, 10:13:49 AM

I'm not going to try to judge the minds of people living though what they have lived through.  Its not like the citizens of the governors have an options, and he offers them a life like they used to have. Kinda powerful.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #909 on: March 28, 2013, 10:43:02 AM

I'm wish Haemish on this one. Maybe i could have bought all those excuses before the zombie fighting pit. Not anymore afterwards. There is no excuse for watching people fighting Zombies and each other to the death. Everybody who didn't walk out of that in disgust deserves to be stuck in a town overrun with Zombies.

And, yes that includes dumbass Andrea.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 67 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Walking Dead  
Jump to: