Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:37:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Walking Dead 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 67 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Walking Dead  (Read 557677 times)
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: November 11, 2010, 11:54:24 AM

Biting is a pretty shitty and ineffective way to spread a disease.

What if the zombies had mechs though?  I mean, mechs are clearly superiors to the tanks the army would be using to reign in this mess.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: November 11, 2010, 11:57:06 AM

Hey, there's a Tron thread just down there somewhere.  Why not pop in and discuss the relative merits of Human Digitisation.

No, really, go.  I heard they have cake.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #107 on: November 11, 2010, 12:49:45 PM

You know, in the Black Company books (anybody else been reading those?), there are some fairly realistic portrayals of how a military company can hold out against supernatural enemies such as this.  Lets discuss.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:52:56 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: November 11, 2010, 01:25:04 PM

I live in Miami and a concern about living here is being in a potential zombie bottleneck. To the east is the Atlantic. West is the Everglades. South is the Keys and Cuba. North is densely populated cities and 'burbs for dozens of miles. Whenever I jump into a backyard pool, I find myself looking for escape routes in case zombies show up while I'm swimming.  swamp poop (I actually wrote "chow up" the first time)

I did like the take on Cuba from Brooks, although I think the country would more easily fall into chaos rather than what he portryed.

It's been a while since I read the Walking Dead comics but

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: November 11, 2010, 01:39:10 PM

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #110 on: November 11, 2010, 02:20:31 PM

Don't read the following spoilers if you haven't read the comic:

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: November 11, 2010, 02:26:50 PM

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #112 on: November 11, 2010, 03:25:28 PM

Just a general question:

Has the show revealed how long it has been since the outbreak started? I feel like it was discussed in the first episode but I missed it.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #113 on: November 11, 2010, 03:32:28 PM

Just a general question:

Has the show revealed how long it has been since the outbreak started? I feel like it was discussed in the first episode but I missed it.

Not that I can recall - it seemed to jump pretty directly from "cop got shot" to "cop wakes up from apparent coma in completely dilapidated hospital."  swamp poop

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: November 11, 2010, 03:37:39 PM

Just a general question:

Not that I can recall - it seemed to jump pretty directly from "cop got shot" to "cop wakes up from apparent coma in completely dilapidated hospital."  swamp poop

I thought maybe when we were camped in the house with the dude and his boy and they were relating to Rick? what was going on.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #115 on: November 11, 2010, 03:39:27 PM

We can assume it started directly after his buddies last visit.  The flowers end up all wilted when he wakes up; maybe one of the science types can give us an estimate on how long it takes them to wilt.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #116 on: November 11, 2010, 07:50:22 PM

Just a general question:

He would have had to have woken up no more than a week to ten days after his last IV, or else he would have died from dehydration. Lots of stuff can change that - mostly shortening it, but three to ten days without water is pretty much the range that people die in.

As far as zombies and whatnot, virus/bacteria zombies are impossible physiologically. Muscles need ATP to work at all, and being dead - especially the not breathing part of it - means no ATP. That's why dead people get rigor mortis until they start to decay enough for the muscles to break down. But even then, they wouldn't be able to use any of their muscles without ATP, plus their muscles are all fucked up or they wouldn't have relaxed to begin with, so there you go. All you need to do to avoid dying in a zombie apocalypse is to not french kiss/fuck/do IV drugs with the completely immobile zombies for about a month until they all decay/get eaten by maggots/get tossed in zombie fires. The only sort of zombie that would actually work is a magically animated zombie.

TLDR: Zombies that don't breath are identical in every way to a corpse except for more moaning. Except they're not breathing so they're not moaning either. Fuck, for all we know, every person who's ever died has actually become a zombie...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 07:52:59 PM by angry.bob »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: November 11, 2010, 08:48:20 PM

I loved World War Z and I love this show, but if there were a real zombie outbreak it would be exterminated in short order. As soon as everyone is alarmed enough to lock themselves indoors and the local SWAT team is deployed to take out zombies, that's pretty much it. Biting is a pretty shitty and ineffective way to spread a disease.

Agree. An infection based zombie appolocapse won't get very far. However if it was old school dead rising zombies than there is a good chance that everyone is fucked because even at most it make take 3 months to contain the initial outbreak. But once a year lapses...err yeah everyone's boned and less prepared. It will take another year before people realize that it isn't an infection and they need to cremate every corpse.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: November 11, 2010, 08:52:34 PM

I really don't care about realism but I draw the line at characters doing retarded shit like not closing the front door of their house or living in a tent. That simply does not make any sense. I close my front door when I go outside and I don't have to worry about Zombies. Also I don't like sleeping in tents because of bugs - not Zombies, bugs.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #119 on: November 11, 2010, 09:51:36 PM

I really don't care about realism but I draw the line at characters doing retarded shit like not closing the front door of their house or living in a tent. That simply does not make any sense. I close my front door when I go outside and I don't have to worry about Zombies. Also I don't like sleeping in tents because of bugs - not Zombies, bugs.
awesome, for real Heart awesome, for real

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: November 12, 2010, 01:04:17 AM

Fuck me.

OK.

Ok, if we're going to do this, let's do it properly.

The realism in the show was totally fucked for me when Rick woke up a mere ten days or so later and then when he wandered around it was clearly shown that the apocalypse had the whole 'the bushes, shrubs, trees and flowers are all overgrown' look.  This isn't I am Legend (fucking be there) where things have been falling apart for years.  It's a mere ten days later.  The flora would be fine.

Oh, and you know what ?  I don't think the zombies in this show could possibly be real.  I mean, some of them are wearing clothes that just don't look right.  I wasn't sure, but in some of the footage I saw (50 inch HD set here) they just looked like, I dunno, actors in makeup.  I mean, wtf, right ?

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: November 12, 2010, 03:21:05 AM

Sometimes people need a TV that will issue them with a timeout for things like this. "Muscles need ATP? That's 10 minutes of no zombies for you mister, go sit on the suspension of disbelief step." Kind of like supernanny for pricks awesome, for real

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: November 12, 2010, 03:33:15 AM

And yet we're drowning in vampire shows.  Fucking DROWNING in them.  And I'm not hearing a lot of 'but vampires couldn't exist.'  Cause, you know, Porphyric Anaemics, right ?  Oh, and you put a couple of sluts in Tron and it's ok too.  Hell, you want suspension of disbelief problems ?  Did you watch Dexter ?  Good God.

I sat as a kid and watched NotlD and I couldn't sleep for weeks.  I love zombies.  And you assholes are ruining it for me.

Adenosine Triphosphate.  Really.  You drag me back to Mr Kelly and my biology lessons when all I want to do is watch some guy say 'The Basements the place to stay !  We'll be safe there' as his daughter eats his fucking guts.

(Actually, was it Mr Kelly ?  I'm not sure he did Biology.  I remember his daughter though.  She was hawt.  I wonder what happened to her.)

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #123 on: November 12, 2010, 03:58:09 AM

Just a general question:

28 days later...?  awesome, for real

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: November 12, 2010, 05:09:18 AM

28 Days Later was not a real zombie story precisely because only people who were infected became monsters. In a real zombie story, everyone who dies for whatever reason comes back as a zombie. Otherwise it's not a zombie story.

Furthermore
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 05:10:55 AM by palmer_eldritch »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #125 on: November 12, 2010, 06:40:57 AM

Wasn't comparing the two. Was making a shitty attempt at a joke.

That said, still a quasi-zombie story. And damn well told at that.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: November 12, 2010, 06:57:12 AM

Wasn't comparing the two. Was making a shitty attempt at a joke.

That said, still a quasi-zombie story. And damn well told at that.

It was a fine joke. I was merely making a very important point about zombies.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: November 12, 2010, 07:07:58 AM

I'm with Ironwood on this.

Zombies are awesome.  Zombie stories are awesome.  Creepy little zombie girls, even more awesome.

I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the zombie outbreak could've been going for a while and only just reached the quiet town, and I guess, within 7 days, all hell broke lose?

His 'friend' brought him those flowers on his way out of town?
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: November 12, 2010, 09:51:03 AM

Lets be honest, there are usually a few things per episode that (even in a zombie scenario) don't much sense.

I can't even recall how many zombies movies have survivors in a zombie-filled city but yet, somehow, are able to drive cars/trucks/whatever around the streets and avoid EVERY SINGLE OTHER CAR and/or zombie. It seems once survivors get in their get-away vehicle, all the dilapidated cars and zombie hordes conveniently avoid the middle of the streets. We have asian-dude able to drive his shiny dodge challenger all over the downtown streets that are now empty of cars/zombies. Whatever.

Or how about the "lets chop this zombie into tiny bits" scene? Most of the 'choppers' didn't wear a mask or any protective clothing. I'm pretty sure chopping up a zombie corpse with an AXE is going to send blood and guts flying, yet people are standing around watching it with mouth agaped. Good idea. Or how about passing around a mask full of zombie guts? The guts were on the INSIDE because some dumbfuck took it off using gut-filled gloves. If one person takes a swing and the mask swings back and hits them in the mouth ITS OVER FOR THEM.

Thats the kind of "wait a second.... eh whatever" moment I go through in zombie movies/tv shows. I've moved past the "Hey, wait a second, if that zombie's leg is broken how can he walk?"
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: November 12, 2010, 10:00:06 AM

I didn't even notice any of the things you people are complaining about until I read them here. 

Just relax and enjoy the show for what it is, good plot, acting, and effects.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #130 on: November 12, 2010, 10:32:31 AM

Lets be honest, there are usually a few things per episode that (even in a zombie scenario) don't much sense.

I can't even recall how many zombies movies have survivors in a zombie-filled city but yet, somehow, are able to drive cars/trucks/whatever around the streets and avoid EVERY SINGLE OTHER CAR and/or zombie. It seems once survivors get in their get-away vehicle, all the dilapidated cars and zombie hordes conveniently avoid the middle of the streets. We have asian-dude able to drive his shiny dodge challenger all over the downtown streets that are now empty of cars/zombies. Whatever.

Or how about the "lets chop this zombie into tiny bits" scene? Most of the 'choppers' didn't wear a mask or any protective clothing. I'm pretty sure chopping up a zombie corpse with an AXE is going to send blood and guts flying, yet people are standing around watching it with mouth agaped. Good idea. Or how about passing around a mask full of zombie guts? The guts were on the INSIDE because some dumbfuck took it off using gut-filled gloves. If one person takes a swing and the mask swings back and hits them in the mouth ITS OVER FOR THEM.

Thats the kind of "wait a second.... eh whatever" moment I go through in zombie movies/tv shows. I've moved past the "Hey, wait a second, if that zombie's leg is broken how can he walk?"

I was staring intently at Rick's hands the entire time he was chopping and doling out guts, and he definitely got some shit on his skin. Like, twice.

And hey, what about the klansman left on the roof? Why did anyone feel bad for him? He woulda just raped the women and killed the black dude and the Asian the first chance he got.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: November 12, 2010, 10:36:36 AM

It took me a while to understand that the black dude probably locked the roof access door to protect that asshole from the zombies ...

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #132 on: November 12, 2010, 10:44:07 AM

And yet we're drowning in vampire shows.  Fucking DROWNING in them.  And I'm not hearing a lot of 'but vampires couldn't exist.'  Cause, you know, Porphyric Anaemics, right ?  Oh, and you put a couple of sluts in Tron and it's ok too.  Hell, you want suspension of disbelief problems ?  Did you watch Dexter ?  Good God.

It's not realism in terms of whether something could exist that anyone cares about. At all. Even a cursory knowledge of the sorts of things people around here like should tell you that. It's whether it could really kill you if it did in fact exist.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: November 12, 2010, 11:10:25 AM

That's what every good zombie story has told us EVER, back to Romero.

It's not the zombies you should be afraid of.  It's the humans.

Name a zombie story where the zombies were the bad guys.  Seriously.

That's what really freaked me the fuck out the first time I watched it, before I even knew America, before I even knew about Black people, before I even knew about history.  This black guy survives the zombie onslaught at this abandoned house and the next day he's shot by the rescue party.

The Zombies scared me.  The Posse Horrified me.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: November 12, 2010, 11:16:25 AM

Also, protip chaps :  We're a week behind.  If you're going to talk about the black rapist dude that totally gets killed, can you at least wait another 4 hours ?

Ta.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #135 on: November 12, 2010, 12:18:52 PM

That's what every good zombie story has told us EVER, back to Romero.

It's not the zombies you should be afraid of.  It's the humans.

Name a zombie story where the zombies were the bad guys.  Seriously.

That's what really freaked me the fuck out the first time I watched it, before I even knew America, before I even knew about Black people, before I even knew about history.  This black guy survives the zombie onslaught at this abandoned house and the next day he's shot by the rescue party.

The Zombies scared me.  The Posse Horrified me.

Fucking. This.

Seriously, the people have always been the real horrors in any of these stories. Man's inhumanity to man doesn't take a breather just because the world's come to an end.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #136 on: November 12, 2010, 12:32:46 PM

And hey, what about the klansman left on the roof? Why did anyone feel bad for him? He woulda just raped the women and killed the black dude and the Asian the first chance he got.

The bit in NotLD when the rednecks shoot the hero is one of my favorite moments in cinema. The whole movie is one of my favorites, but that scene, in the time period it came out with a strong black hero, was just some great commentary. I can't even imagine having seen that in the theater in 1968.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #137 on: November 12, 2010, 12:45:56 PM

First, ok, sorry I even brought up the tank and started all this.  I'm actually with you Ironwood.  I love love love zombie movies.  I a huge fan of the genre.  I have no problem suspending my belief when watching these movies.  I was just pointing out something I thought was funny when I read the comics the first time.  It's a quirk of the genre that somehow zombies always overrun all armed resistance and I happily run with that.  I just sort of find it funny when a story directly throws the absurdity of it in your face by directly showing that slow zombies somehow took out a bunch of tanks.  Usually it happens off camera, and is just implied.  That's it!  I have no problem at all really!

Second, why are all of you assuming he was in a coma for only a week or two?  Its been a long time since I've read the comic, but I'm pretty sure he was in the coma for many months before waking up.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: November 12, 2010, 12:51:01 PM

Second, why are all of you assuming he was in a coma for only a week or two?  Its been a long time since I've read the comic, but I'm pretty sure he was in the coma for many months before waking up.

I think everyone means a week since the zombie outbreak, not a week total. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #139 on: November 12, 2010, 01:50:45 PM

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 67 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Walking Dead  
Jump to: