Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:24:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: The Goonwaffe Newbie Guide 2010 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Goonwaffe Newbie Guide 2010  (Read 7631 times)
Endie
Terracotta Army

on: May 08, 2010, 10:58:00 AM

This is bound to leak anyway, and is meant for a wider audience, to help newbies to Eve and not just Goonwaffe newbies, so here you go.  I'm pretty proud of it, and it is one of the elements I've carried out in the director of newbies/mentors part of my role.  Also, let me know if the goonfleet content delivery network needs you to have a goonfleet cookie, in which case I will rehost it.

Eve is a terrifyingly hard game to get into as a newbie, especially if you're going to 0.0 on day one.  What better way to help with that learning curve than to write some :words: and then say "phenomenally-talented artist and designer Poluketes please make this look amazing".  He worked like a bastard for two weeks and he has come up with a design that is accessible, clear, gorgeous and just generally better than I have words for.

Hopefully this will help with retention in the upcoming newbie drive.  Poluketes did the vast majority of the design and original art-work, with a little by Stahlregen.  I did most of the hurfiest and blurfiest words but with a lot of help from Tector and additional words by Anela Cistine and Pmchem and additional anecdotes by Firstname Lastname, Remedial, RLeonis, and xeus909 amongst others.

You can download the 2010 Goonwaffe Newbie Guide here.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 11:30:03 AM

Link works. That's one masterpiece of a guide.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 11:31:44 AM

I don't play Eve, but that is fantastic.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 12:02:16 PM

That's some great artwork you got there.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 12:04:14 PM

That's truly brilliant, gets across the game and dare I say it, goon culture.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 12:29:14 PM

That's brilliant. It makes me wish I had more time to try playing with you guys.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 12:29:19 PM

Bravo! Looks like it was quite an undertaking.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 01:04:40 PM

That looks fantastic, good job!
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 02:10:56 PM

Damm, that guide almost made me want to play again. Almost. Then I remember the lag for fleet fights.

But giving out a claymore's bonuses to a wing of newbees might make up for it....when the next drive starts, you need to get people posting stories of action, adventure and hilarity. The info I get from the War thread here and the SA thread is pretty thin.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 08:55:31 AM

That's brilliant, makes me want to play a terrible game with terrible people.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 10:16:36 AM

Fantastic :D

Hic sunt dracones.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 04:35:51 AM

I hope the latest newbie drive goes well. I can imagine the increased effort the existing players have to put in to convince new people to join and bitter vets to come back during each of these.

The "What?" written next to the sov system explanation feels especially close to home.

Would read again.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 05:15:15 AM

Just gonna reitirate, that guide has seriously pro graphic design of which I would be proud. Only thing it's missing is the Bat Bee!

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 05:27:07 AM

My favorite bit was "halp I'm tackled in a belt", because it reminded me of mr "officer spawn". Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 05:36:54 AM

The DBRB tarot is the masterstroke, good stuff.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 06:28:17 AM

Honestly, tons of the little touches like the DBRB tarot is probably not going to be understood at all by someone who hasn't been a goon at some point.

I'm a bit miffed myself, actually, as I never heard the FC himself, I just kept hearing the guy talking over the FC. Damn jabberbox. Ohhhhh, I see.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: The Goonwaffe Newbie Guide 2010  
Jump to: