Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:25:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: TF2 engy update 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TF2 engy update  (Read 31346 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: July 15, 2010, 02:45:04 PM

I feel like I come in at the lower edge of mediocre. Sometimes I finish on top of the list for a stage but it is almost always when I play a heavy and just push leetle cart to victory.

You contribute to your team winning and get points for it, genius valve!

Seriously though, I think this is one of the things TF2 does better than a lot of games, you really do get points for playing your class well and completing objectives.  I think the scout probably gets a little shafted on points as compared to the others, but thats about the only class that I think is as such.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #141 on: July 15, 2010, 02:52:26 PM

Yeah, if I want to get points, I heal my way to the top of the chart.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

God Save the Horn Players
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: July 15, 2010, 06:51:38 PM

I feel like I come in at the lower edge of mediocre. Sometimes I finish on top of the list for a stage but it is almost always when I play a heavy and just push leetle cart to victory.

Seriously though, I think this is one of the things TF2 does better than a lot of games, you really do get points for playing your class well and completing objectives.  I think the scout probably gets a little shafted on points as compared to the others, but thats about the only class that I think is as such.

Pyro could use some points for popping an uber back. Like maybe .5 for each push of an uber; but other then that I think everything is fine for the most part. Thankfully, they recently gave pyro a bone by giving him points for extinguishing flaming teammates.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: July 15, 2010, 07:26:25 PM

Pyro could use some points for popping an uber back. Like maybe .5 for each push of an uber; but other then that I think everything is fine for the most part. Thankfully, they recently gave pyro a bone by giving him points for extinguishing flaming teammates.

Yeah, pyro is the other one I was considering mentioning, but considering how much more viable it is in terms of points than it was at release, I decided not to.   I think the pyros biggest problems are map related though, instead of scoring related.  He is an ambush class at heart, even with the air blast addition of the pyro update (when was that even? Probably a long time ago now), which makes him pretty useless on offense in any offense/defense or payload map.
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: July 15, 2010, 07:46:09 PM

Yeah, pyro is the other one I was considering mentioning, but considering how much more viable it is in terms of points than it was at release, I decided not to.   I think the pyros biggest problems are map related though, instead of scoring related.  He is an ambush class at heart, even with the air blast addition of the pyro update (when was that even? Probably a long time ago now), which makes him pretty useless on offense in any offense/defense or payload map.

I love the pyro, I just wish there was more too him; like... Mobility. Airblasting rockets to perform your own rocket jumps is an impressive trick; but not really practical.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #145 on: July 15, 2010, 08:06:59 PM

I love playing a pyro on offense on a payload map, because spies LOVE to backstab everyone pushing the little cart. I kill almost as many of them cart pushin' as I do when there are 500 engineer turrets they're trying to sap.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #146 on: July 16, 2010, 03:05:37 AM

They used to get 1/2 a point for an extinguish, now it's a full point.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: July 26, 2010, 09:13:33 PM

The number of engies has stayed really high since the update and it drives me absolutely nuts.  Tf2 has turned into pop the sentry.  Its nearly impossible to break the defenses on any final point in an A/D or Payload map now unless you can manage to talk your team into actually building multiple ubers with the 4-5 sentries you see. 

My love hate with the game continues though.  Sometimes really fun, sometimes supremely frustrating.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #148 on: July 26, 2010, 09:16:04 PM

Yeah I keep feeling like I should learn spy with all the engineers that are around now, but the initial time-to-live for a newbie spy is so low that it is really frustrating to get started and I always just end up switching back to something I know.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: July 26, 2010, 09:17:53 PM

A single uber with a helpful spy hitting at the same time can take out pretty much any defense.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: July 26, 2010, 09:34:26 PM

A single uber with a helpful spy hitting at the same time can take out pretty much any defense.

The problem is most pub players have no patience and get all offended ("don't tell me how to play") if you do so much as make a suggestion about what we should do as a team.  When I play on higher quality servers (more competitive players) the number of engineers drops dramatically because they become effectively useless if the enemy team is competent.

Thats always been one of my least favorite parts about TF2 actually, the competitive game and pub game so drastically different.  I also forget when I'm playing that most people HAVE NOT played competitive games, so they don't see whats happening in the same context as I do and I get frustrated when players make obvious bad choices.  I shouldn't blame them though :)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #151 on: July 27, 2010, 06:51:55 AM

To be fair, any good fps is going to suffer from that. Remember air strips in BF1942? On pubs it was camped by planetards who were being camped by snipetards. As a pilot in my clan, it was so odd playing on pubs because I was always used to running to MY PLANE, that was always there unless the opposition stole it. I usually didn't bother flying on pubs, even though it was hilarious the body count you could rack up without any serious opposition...if you could get in the air.

That's actually one thing that bugs me about TF2, I know that in this game I'm only marginally effective for my team and it's probably bothering anyone who knows what they're doing. Ah, well.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: July 27, 2010, 12:17:17 PM

Yeah, whenever I play I'm one of the total pubtards who walks into sentries repeatedly. I still have no idea how to destroy the things, and demo is one of my more played classes. What amazes me is that a lot of the time half the people who are below me in points are people who have been playing just as long as I have. I must conclude that at any point in time, most TF2 pubs have like two guys with KDRs in the eleventy billion range and if you're not one of them, anything above 1:1 is pretty awesome.

It's how I sleep at night.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #153 on: July 27, 2010, 12:20:03 PM

Whenever I start to feel down about how I suck at TF2, I set a couple of spies on fire and feel better. Setting spies on fire makes everything better.

Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: July 27, 2010, 12:52:39 PM

Whenever I start to feel down about how I suck at TF2, I set a couple of spies on fire and feel better. Setting spies on fire makes everything better.

Launching spies off cliffs is even better...er...
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: July 27, 2010, 12:57:35 PM

Yeah, whenever I play I'm one of the total pubtards who walks into sentries repeatedly. I still have no idea how to destroy the things, and demo is one of my more played classes. What amazes me is that a lot of the time half the people who are below me in points are people who have been playing just as long as I have. I must conclude that at any point in time, most TF2 pubs have like two guys with KDRs in the eleventy billion range and if you're not one of them, anything above 1:1 is pretty awesome.

It's how I sleep at night.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was true.  I am most often in the 5:1 range if I am playing with no support, if I have a pocket medic I can easily get to 10:1.  Thats just shameless though, so I'll get to the point now:

Regarding sentries, you need 3 stickies at the base of the sentry to kill a level 3 sentry.  2 will do otherwise, though 3 is still nice on a level 2 in case your aim is a bit off.  ABUSE LINE OF SIGHT, demos can do this so well because their projectiles arc, thats really the key to taking out a ton of guns.  Also, use corners to your advantage you can pop out and shoot a sticky and strafe back behind and only take a hit or 2 from a sentry (or none at all if you are fast) and then get easy kills.  For guns being controlled with the wrangler, kill the engineer first, then the gun while it is in its 3 second deactivation,.

One sticky or normal grenade will kill a mini sentry.

The hardest part will come when the other team has 3+ sentries, as they can all cover each others' weak poitns and then you really just straight up REQUIRE an uber to take them out.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #156 on: July 27, 2010, 01:30:55 PM

Launching spies off cliffs is even better...er...

Especially if you set them on fire first!

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #157 on: July 27, 2010, 01:40:33 PM

The best part about the new maps has been all the new places you can airblast people off the map.  It's really fun for those damn dead ringer spies.  Or ubered heavies.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: July 27, 2010, 02:45:43 PM

The best part about the new maps has been all the new places you can airblast people off the map.  It's really fun for those damn dead ringer spies.  Or ubered heavies.

Part of me wonders if it was a conscious decision to make pyros more viable, or if they were just interested in general vertical gameplay.  Either way is fine with me, and I'm glad Pyros have a bit of a foothold, w + m1 is effective, but not particularly nuanced gameplay.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: TF2 engy update  
Jump to: