Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:51:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: TF2 engy update 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TF2 engy update  (Read 31345 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: July 12, 2010, 06:26:35 AM

The worst part of the medic update wasn't just the retarded achievements, but the fact that you were supposed to get ALL of them to unlock the weapons.

Oh god, don't remind me.  The jackass that I am stayed up literally all night grinding out every last one of theme.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #106 on: July 12, 2010, 08:06:22 AM

Huh, I don't think I've seen a stalemate on it yet.  Eventually one team or the other manages to lock down the area long enough for the elevator to go up.  My main problem with that map is that the entire "race" comes down to that point; getting the cart that far is trivial and might as well just be skipped.

Except for the one match that finished, I've never seen the cart make it through the long shed near the opposition spawn.  It always gets near the cliff side and stops right at the entrance of the shed, because the other team turtles the shed.  

This is exactly where our games stalemated, every time. The server I was playing didn't have a timer on it, so eventually one team or the other would basically let the other team win to make the hurting stop. I finally just stopped playing (because it ALSO wasn't switching maps until 4 more completions of the fucking thing) and wept.

EDIT: Later on in the day I played on a team where NO ONE was playing an engineer. I thought about switching but was afraid it was a trap.  ACK!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 08:08:38 AM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #107 on: July 12, 2010, 09:03:45 AM

The worst part of the medic update wasn't just the retarded achievements, but the fact that you were supposed to get ALL of them to unlock the weapons.

Oh god, don't remind me.  The jackass that I am stayed up literally all night grinding out every last one of theme.

So THAT'S where on the doll the achievements touched you.   ACK!  My sympathies.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: July 12, 2010, 09:06:38 AM

Oh god, don't remind me.  The jackass that I am stayed up literally all night grinding out every last one of theme.

So THAT'S where on the doll the achievements touched you.   ACK!  My sympathies.

Yeah, my problem is that I like to have all the options available to me, even if Im not going to play with them right away, so I force myself to grind out all the unlocks as soon as I can.    I don't even care about the achievements themselves.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #109 on: July 12, 2010, 09:22:03 AM

I just used achievementunlocker.exe.

And I still got the halo because I was an early adopter of cheating and did it before they started tracking it.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: July 12, 2010, 09:51:24 AM

I had to switch my medigun to the level 1 version, so I could uber heavies.  I was sad.  :(
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #111 on: July 12, 2010, 09:54:57 AM

Yeah, finding a medic on servers now is impossible. I actually switched to medic the other night because our team was getting its ass handed to it, and we won because of it. Not that anyone noticed of course, they were too busy building and assaulting turrets.  awesome, for real

I did finally get to play as an engie with this. Moving buildings is fucking awesome. I'm still unsure where to place the sentries, but it does make the class more fun when assaulting. The two new payload maps are fan-fucking-tastic.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #112 on: July 12, 2010, 10:24:15 AM

Yeah, finding a medic on servers now is impossible. I actually switched to medic the other night because our team was getting its ass handed to it, and we won because of it. Not that anyone noticed of course, they were too busy building and assaulting turrets.  awesome, for real

Prospero and I did some serious heavy/medic and demo/medic-ing the first day of the engy update, which is how I got Division of Labor and Tam O'Shatter in one night.  We were a two-man wrecking crew.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #113 on: July 12, 2010, 04:01:05 PM

I was playing a medic some, but I hate being the only one, because inevitably everyone starts screaming for a medic AND CAN'T HEAL YOU ALL OH GOD.  Cry

Pyro was a good time, even though my average lifespan as one is about 2 seconds. I really, really love setting spies on fire, and there were so many engineer nests to camp!

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #114 on: July 12, 2010, 04:02:32 PM

There is no greater glee than setting one of those fucking Dead Ringer spies on fire as he tries to escape, and staying right on his ass until his invulnerability wears off.  And then hoisting your flamethrower triumphantly over his charred (real) corpse.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: July 12, 2010, 04:05:35 PM

There is no greater glee than setting one of those fucking Dead Ringer spies on fire as he tries to escape, and staying right on his ass until his invulnerability wears off.  And then hoisting your flamethrower triumphantly over his charred (real) corpse.

This is so true, man I hate the dead ringer.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: July 12, 2010, 04:41:08 PM

I was playing a medic some, but I hate being the only one, because inevitably everyone starts screaming for a medic AND CAN'T HEAL YOU ALL OH GOD.  Cry

Pyro was a good time, even though my average lifespan as one is about 2 seconds. I really, really love setting spies on fire, and there were so many engineer nests to camp!

My pyro lives tend to be short, bright, and take a lot of people with me.

edit: last night's hightower map also showed me that Pyros are bullshit with airblast.

Basically, that evil shed/tunnel of doom? Two pyros spamming airblast on anyone who comes around the corner, knocking them off the cliff instantly. Such bullshit.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #117 on: July 12, 2010, 05:11:06 PM

Yeah, that seemed to be the problem more than the engineers, honestly. I'd uber someone to go clear out the tunnel and immediately one or both of us would be knocked off the cliff. And then when I switched to pyro, I totally did it myself.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #118 on: July 12, 2010, 05:35:27 PM

It seemed to work best when we went in from the top with exploding stuff and then the heavy/medic people came around the bottom side while the pyros were distracted by the hail of grenades and rockets.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: July 12, 2010, 11:38:04 PM

Why let him run? Just airblast him into a corner and wait for it to wear off.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #120 on: July 13, 2010, 04:40:20 PM

Malakili has seen how truly awful I am at soldier now.  why so serious?

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: July 13, 2010, 04:48:45 PM

Malakili has seen how truly awful I am at soldier now.  why so serious?

Do you always play on 32 player instant respawn servers.  My god I had forgotten what its like and why I stopped playing on them. Utterly destroys game balance.  ACK!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #122 on: July 13, 2010, 04:50:20 PM

I pretty much play where ever my sister (the [SLAP] Shield person, who is WAY better at the game than me) picks. Then she makes a point to kill me with her goddamn flare gun or shovel or wrench or whatever.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: July 13, 2010, 04:52:39 PM

I pretty much play where ever my sister (the [SLAP] Shield person, who is WAY better at the game than me) picks. Then she makes a point to kill me with her goddamn flare gun or shovel or wrench or whatever.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Ah.  Well, fair enough.  Just so nearly impossible for offense to win with instant respawn that it really just turns into a screw around/death match fest, which is ok sometimes, but not really my cup of tea.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #124 on: July 13, 2010, 05:51:36 PM

Yeah, I prefer servers that aren't instant respawn (although I don't care at all about the number of people), but I'm not very picky. I have seen those maps get won by offense on that server, just not very often.

The new payload race is less painful today, I don't know why. Probably because people are figuring out how to play it?

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: July 13, 2010, 06:06:54 PM

Yeah, I prefer servers that aren't instant respawn (although I don't care at all about the number of people), but I'm not very picky. I have seen those maps get won by offense on that server, just not very often.

The new payload race is less painful today, I don't know why. Probably because people are figuring out how to play it?

I've actually only played it twice, though I didn't find it that problematic to begin with.  One stage is definitely the way to go for PLR maps, which I think they figured out after that pipeline map flopped big time.   A soldier or two applying pressure to the top of the enemy ramp is usually more than enough to counter whatever they've cooked up to defend it.  Then again, the direct hit is just too darn good against buildings, and there are a LOT of buildings going around right now.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: July 13, 2010, 08:01:10 PM

The matches I was on with Sjofn the reason it didn't suck was 1-2 engies/team. I rarely ran into turret nests, but I DID constantly run into the 3 pyro bullshit brigade.

I hate your sister, Sjofn. But I did laugh quite a bit at the whole "mom liked me more" bit <3
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #127 on: July 13, 2010, 08:54:08 PM

I'm glad someone besides her laughed at that! But god, she is so annoying. And she's like that no matter what she plays. And she is a COLD BLOODED KILLER. She killed her best friend with a shovel and laughed about it.

I dread when the engineer glut finally ends and she starts playing that again, the frontier justice is going to kill me ten thousand times, I just know it.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: July 13, 2010, 09:33:09 PM

I love the shovel killing story! It's one of my favorite.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: July 14, 2010, 07:00:08 AM

Should I make sure to tell her she's my favorite of your siblings?  Would that afford some protection?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: July 14, 2010, 07:42:22 AM

Should I make sure to tell her she's my favorite of your siblings?  Would that afford some protection?

No, she'll still stab you. She'll just stab you lovingly.

You should make nice with Sjofn, she tends to medic and follow heavies or lacking that, anyone she recognizes who may wind up not completely sucking.

Or failing that, my fail solider.
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #131 on: July 14, 2010, 08:39:17 AM

Okay, I have to eat my words on those mini-sentries.  They're pretty awesome.  Being able to just drop one right in someone's face and have it start shooting him is  awesome, for real.
I think part of the problem at the moment is that a lot of defensive engineers are still using them because "ooh its new" when its clearly inferior when you intend the enemy to be walking into it.   I think the Normal Shotgun/Pistol/Gunslinger is the best offensive engineer combo though.  Its intended to make you into a death matching class, as you've noticed.  Just toss out that mini sentry and get to fighting.  I just don't think most people have figured out that playstyle yet.  A mini sentry should be treated as a strictly disposable distraction/light damage dealer to support your shotty.   The quick build time ensures that an enemy has to deal with it, even if you lay it down in battle, which is great, as you noted. 

I've been trying to do this, but I just can't get it to work. I think the interface is kind of getting in the way. I wish they would implement the mini-sentry as a kind of constant alt-fire like the demoman's stickies. Just right click and it drops where you're standing. The lag time of having to open the build tool, select the gun, drop it, then go back to shooting someone just confounds me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: July 14, 2010, 08:48:18 AM

Okay, I have to eat my words on those mini-sentries.  They're pretty awesome.  Being able to just drop one right in someone's face and have it start shooting him is  awesome, for real.
I think part of the problem at the moment is that a lot of defensive engineers are still using them because "ooh its new" when its clearly inferior when you intend the enemy to be walking into it.   I think the Normal Shotgun/Pistol/Gunslinger is the best offensive engineer combo though.  Its intended to make you into a death matching class, as you've noticed.  Just toss out that mini sentry and get to fighting.  I just don't think most people have figured out that playstyle yet.  A mini sentry should be treated as a strictly disposable distraction/light damage dealer to support your shotty.   The quick build time ensures that an enemy has to deal with it, even if you lay it down in battle, which is great, as you noted. 

I've been trying to do this, but I just can't get it to work. I think the interface is kind of getting in the way. I wish they would implement the mini-sentry as a kind of constant alt-fire like the demoman's stickies. Just right click and it drops where you're standing. The lag time of having to open the build tool, select the gun, drop it, then go back to shooting someone just confounds me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Should only 3 keystrokes, 4,1,click.  Maybe 1 extra keystroke if you don't do fast weapon switching.  Shouldn't take too much time.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #133 on: July 14, 2010, 10:32:38 AM

You can also write a little macro for it too, I should think.  I'll mess with it tonight.

I do agree that dropping a mini-sentry should be an alt-fire action, though, for how much more often you do that than plant any other building.  Either on the gunslinger or globally (the only other alt-fire actions the engy has are only available when placing a building or wrangling a level 3 sentry).  I wouldn't be surprised at all if that were in an upcoming patch.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #134 on: July 14, 2010, 03:06:17 PM

No, she'll still stab you. She'll just stab you lovingly.

You should make nice with Sjofn, she tends to medic and follow heavies or lacking that, anyone she recognizes who may wind up not completely sucking.

Or failing that, my fail solider.

Your soldier is fine! I have to uber you earlier than I would like sometimes to get you to move towards the scary engineer nest I was saving my uber for, but whatevs! Better than Random Pyro #87 who charges AWAY from the giant group of flammable enemies when I uber them.  Cry

But yeah, nothing really keeps you safe from my sister except being on her team. She hungers for blood.

I do agree that dropping a mini-sentry should be an alt-fire action, though, for how much more often you do that than plant any other building.  Either on the gunslinger or globally (the only other alt-fire actions the engy has are only available when placing a building or wrangling a level 3 sentry).  I wouldn't be surprised at all if that were in an upcoming patch.

You know, I totally assumed it WAS an alt-fire thing. How silly that it isn't!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:08:06 PM by Sjofn »

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: July 15, 2010, 11:23:06 AM

Sometimes this game makes me rage so hard, like every time I'm on a team full of people who get totally stymied because they don't understand how to take out sentry nests.  I can only do so much myself and when I'm working my ASS off and the rest of the team is circle jerking around our own sentries because they are afraid to die it makes me want to punch a hole straight through my wall.  Shaking fist
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #136 on: July 15, 2010, 12:12:16 PM

Ooo, I'm the exact opposite of that! I run screaming into the teeth of the enemy every time! FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

I really suck at this game and just have fun blowing stuff up as a demoman.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: July 15, 2010, 01:17:58 PM

I downright suck at this game, but I still have fun with it.  Most of the time.

I either latch onto someone who seems to know what they're doing and heal them to victory, or I run screaming at the enemy with a flamethrower.

Sometimes the latter is way more fun.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #138 on: July 15, 2010, 02:14:13 PM

I'm usually the same, Soulflame, although lately I've decided to suck total ass at being a soldier instead.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #139 on: July 15, 2010, 02:28:29 PM

I feel like I come in at the lower edge of mediocre. Sometimes I finish on top of the list for a stage but it is almost always when I play a heavy and just push leetle cart to victory.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: TF2 engy update  
Jump to: