Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:32:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: TF2 engy update 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TF2 engy update  (Read 31347 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: May 06, 2010, 03:34:12 PM

This deserves a new thread.

Teaser trailer

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 04:15:38 PM

I guess I'll copy what I posted inot the older TF2 thread over here, since it has it's own thread...

Veteran tags incoming

AND

Coming Soon Engineers!

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 07:55:46 PM

That's a cool video :)

Will be interested to see what they do. Engineer has got to be one of the most challenging to balance classes.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:53:39 PM

There was a blog post a while back about one of the engy update ideas they had that didn't pan out.  I'm still waiting to see some of the others.  They have to have prototyped some kind of sentry gun mech at some point.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 10:12:29 PM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

AKA Gyoza
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 03:17:43 PM

There's a blueprint in the background of that video - looks like a robot/mech/android sort of a thing.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 09:56:01 AM

It'll either be a let-down, or people are gonna shit their pants even more than they do already about the engineer.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 07:49:43 PM

The passive-aggressive nature of the Engineer class annoys me greatly.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 10:51:42 AM

Epic new comic posted today.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 11:22:27 AM

'BOUT TIME.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 11:24:02 AM

Haha, the comic was great.  I love the back story they're building up around TF2.  Looking forward to annoying people even more with my Eng.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 11:34:47 AM

That backstory was fucking awesome.

Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 12:21:05 PM

I am sad to hear we aren't going to see Saxton Hale and Steve Jobs fight to the death.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 04:23:03 PM

Fuck the engineer update, I want old timey TF2. NOW.

God Save the Horn Players
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 04:30:42 PM

You suck.  True story.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 04:32:51 PM

Fuck the engineer update, I want old timey TF2. NOW.

Are we already to the point where Tf2 prior to the medic update is an "old timey" thing?
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 04:33:52 PM

You suck.  True story.

C'mon, you'd get to be Tesla. That counts for something!

Are we already to the point where Tf2 prior to the medic update is an "old timey" thing?

I don't think you understand what I was asking for.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 04:49:06 PM

Also, Abe Lincoln class.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 04:52:23 PM

Yeah, I was just going to comment on that.  I want to play Abe Lincoln with a flame thrower.

Somebody needs to make a League of Extraordinary TF2 Players mod now.

I misunderstood what you meant as well Sjofn.  I thought you wanted TF2 before all these fancy shmancy updates.

-Stephen Colbert
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 04:56:37 PM

Aw, no, I wouldn't ever wish that. I didn't even play the game back then.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 10:15:27 PM

Somebody needs to make a League of Extraordinary TF2 Players mod now.

This would be Legendarily Awesome. For Real.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 01:50:39 PM

Everyone has seen this now, right? http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupdate/
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 02:21:26 PM

Everyone has seen this now, right? http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupdate/
[/quote

Yes, I've seen that, now.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 04:42:50 PM

So apart from a slightly better shotgun, what else is New?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 05:03:58 PM

Doesn't look like they're done revealing it yet.

AKA Gyoza
Yoshimaru
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 05:33:10 PM

Ya, the blog explains how they're rolling the announcements out.

Basically, whenever someone crafts an item there's a chance that they get a golden wrench. There will be a total of 100 golden wrenches given out, and every time 25 wrenches are given out they will release new info on a weapon. So far, 26 have been given out.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #26 on: July 05, 2010, 07:47:07 PM

What is it with them and crafting.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 05, 2010, 08:08:12 PM

What is it with them and crafting.

Its like vehicles in Wrath of the Lich King, a stupid mechanic that they are going to make work come hell or high water.  Unlocks were bad enough, and I've thus far refused to craft on principle.  They really need to just give everything out.  If they MUST leave item finding/unlocking/crafting in, leave it to cosmetic items only.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #28 on: July 06, 2010, 12:07:13 AM

I am slightly annoyed that once again they're rewarding people who have backpacks full of unused junk.   awesome, for real  I always smelt my weapons ASAP to keep my backpack looking tidy and this makes twice now that I've regretted that policy (the other time being when they changed the blueprints to make smelting cheaper).

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #29 on: July 06, 2010, 06:12:01 PM

Oh hey, day 2 of update up.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

The Wrangler provides two things I've wanted for a long time: the ability to tell my sentry to shoot at spies, and the ability to tell my sentry to spam rockets in the general direction of annoying snipers.  The 3-second cooldown is pretty brutal, though, since it means no repairing or restocking your gun in the heat of battle.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 06:16:24 PM

Oh hey, day 2 of update up.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

The Wrangler provides two things I've wanted for a long time: the ability to tell my sentry to shoot at spies, and the ability to tell my sentry to spam rockets in the general direction of annoying snipers.  The 3-second cooldown is pretty brutal, though, since it means no repairing or restocking your gun in the heat of battle.

You just need one engy repairing all the guns of the 3 guys wrangling their guns.

So far, it looks to me like the shotgun is for offensive engineers and the wrangler for defensive, hypothetically.  I'm interested to see which direction the new wrench leans.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 06:54:34 PM

The Wrangler might be a decent offensive tool as well, since the doubled firing rate means a level 1 sentry can be quite a bit more useful.  Still much more useful if you have a buddy to work on repairing and upgrading while you steer the gun.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 06, 2010, 07:20:55 PM

The Wrangler might be a decent offensive tool as well, since the doubled firing rate means a level 1 sentry can be quite a bit more useful.  Still much more useful if you have a buddy to work on repairing and upgrading while you steer the gun.

I suppose, but I don't think it would be nearly as powerful on offense as a level 1 gun + frontier justice.  Remember, you are effectively disabling yourself to use it, and you shouldn't underestimate the power of sentry + shotgun.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #33 on: July 06, 2010, 07:35:54 PM

OMFG, fuck that wrangler. I expect the shielding effect to get nerfed promptly.

As if certain sentries were not a pain in the ass to kill as it is. I use to be able to get plenty of sentry kills as a sniper, but with a damn shield....ugh.

Though nice effects can be had by killing the engineer in a coordinated attack.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #34 on: July 06, 2010, 07:48:30 PM

OMFG, fuck that wrangler. I expect the shielding effect to get nerfed promptly.

Remember, the engy can't repair the gun while the wrangler is active.  If not for the shield the gun would be gone in two rocket hits.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: TF2 engy update  
Jump to: