Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:54:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Scouting's new recruitment tool 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scouting's new recruitment tool  (Read 4306 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

on: April 29, 2010, 07:21:30 AM

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:35:13 AM

Article is retarded.

I want a hoodie with that badge on it though. Or a utility shirt with it on the pocket. Rad. Would swap the art to a dualshock though, I don't know why they used the silhouette of a crap madcatz controller.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 04:03:18 PM

They probably felt that Mad Catz Interactive were less likely to sue The Boy Scouts of America than Sony.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:41:45 AM

I may have been out of the Boy Scouts loop for a while, but WTF is a Tiger Cub?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 06:01:42 AM

I think they are the really young kids.  Like 1st graders.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 06:18:54 AM

Reading that article, it seems to refer to edutainment games, and or "helping others" (Little old ladies?) to learn a game, or deal hunting for games. I don't see much wrong with that.

Requirements

Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may complete requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment. Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
Belt Loop

Complete these three requirements:

1. Explain why it is important to have a rating system for video games. Check your video games to be sure they are right for your age.
   2. With an adult, create a schedule for you to do things that includes your chores, homework, and video gaming. Do your best to follow this schedule.
   3. Learn to play a new video game that is approved by your parent, guardian, or teacher.

Academics Pin

Earn the Video Games belt loop and complete five of the following requirements:

1. With your parents, create a plan to buy a video game that is right for your age group.
   2. Compare two game systems (for example, Microsoft Xbox, Sony PlayStation, Nintendo Wii, and so on). Explain some of the differences between the two. List good reasons to purchase or use a game system.
   3. Play a video game with family members in a family tournament.
   4. Teach an adult or a friend how to play a video game.
   5. List at least five tips that would help someone who was learning how to play your favorite video game.
   6. Play an appropriate video game with a friend for one hour.
   7. Play a video game that will help you practice your math, spelling, or another skill that helps you in your schoolwork.
   8. Choose a game you might like to purchase. Compare the price for this game at three different stores. Decide which store has the best deal. In your decision, be sure to consider things like the store return policy and manufacturer’s warranty.
   9. With an adult’s supervision, install a gaming system.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 11:55:00 AM

It's an attempt at instilling responsibility with a potentially corruptive but potentially harmless hobby.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 12:15:26 PM

Its not like you can make them out of wood.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 12:23:09 PM

Bonus points for any world firsts in any MMO? no? Then its fucking worthless....  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 07:17:32 AM

I apologize for my insensitivity, but on what Bizarro world do Boy Scouts promote physical fitness as the article states?  The only thing fatter and more out of shape than the average Boy Scout is that scout's Den Mother/Father/Leader.  This new award seems the perfect fit.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 04:39:53 PM

I apologize for my insensitivity, but on what Bizarro world do Boy Scouts promote physical fitness as the article states?  The only thing fatter and more out of shape than the average Boy Scout is that scout's Den Mother/Father/Leader.  This new award seems the perfect fit.

It all depends on the troop.  I actually lost a fair amount of weight when I started scouting.  If the group is active and actually does the outdoorsy stuff they are supposed to do, it can potentially be seen as promoting physical fitness.  But I got involved in a good troop that had a core group of old school guys running things.  We went canoeing, hiking, skiing, all sorts of things.  For a young fellow who was otherwise glued to my NES, it was about my only outdoor activity.

For all the concerns I have with the national organization, I do think scouting done right is a good thing.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 04:42:36 PM

If you've got fat scouts, you've got fatter leaders planning activities.  My troop did all the same things as DD's, but stopped once that TL retired and a 'heaftier' guy took over.  Suddenly Scouting was about badges that could be done indoors once a week within a few miles of his house.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 05:04:13 PM

Going out camping and doing outdoorsy things was the highlight of my summer, albeit estranged from my troop mates and not really understanding what I was supposed to be doing there besides learning.

I actually got kicked out of camp one year for an off-hand comment on the size of a fellow scout's dick in the shower. I didn't realize why I was being kicked out. I still couldn't tell you what exactly happened. Fear that I was gay or something? It was an extremely awkward and depressing moment.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 05:06:57 PM

Ya know the more I think about it... Scouting is pretty similar to MMO questing, I mean you get a set of tasking and at the end of it you get badges showing your achievements.  why so serious?

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 11:44:50 PM

And there is much talk of peen.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Scouting's new recruitment tool  
Jump to: