Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:58:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2010 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2010  (Read 245865 times)
Bungee
Terracotta Army

on: April 21, 2010, 12:34:01 AM

Here we go!

The Schedules have been released and it's only one more day until the "2010 NFL Draft".

Also, no comments on the McNabb trade?!

Edit by Trippy: Fixed your bizarre title

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 12:11:07 PM by Trippy »

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 06:03:44 AM

Here we go!

The Schedules have been released and it's only one more day until the "2010 NFL Draft".

Also, no comments on the McNabb trade?!

Naw - it's a weird trade by Philly, but they seem to have written this year off already as a rebuilding year.    But really, The Onion said it pretty much the best.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/donovan-mcnabb-id-like-to-thank-the-ungrateful-ove,17235/

Schedule this year.  Fucking brutal opening for the Ravens on the road (with the exception of Cleveland in Week 3  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? ), but Flacco almost seems to plays better on the road than at home, so it's not as bad as it could be.  I expect Baltimore heads to explode though since the Ravens were given four nationally televised games this year, and nobody here deals with compliments like that very well.  

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 06:50:54 AM by JWIV »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:29:22 AM

The McNabb trade is a direct result of Philly fans being the biggest fucking douchebags on the goddamn planet. It does nothing to help their team this year, IMO. The end result will probably be a diluted, mediocre NFC East that Dallas will run away with before shitting the bed in the playoffs. Washington will win about 2 more games, maybe 3, Philly will lose 1 more than last year and the Giants are still the Giants who can be world beaters one week and pussies the next. The Philly fans have been shitting on McNabb for years despite the fact they'd be nowhere without him. Kolb may be good, he may eventually be better, but he's going to have some serious growing pains first. Hopefully they won't turn on him like they did McNabb.

Green Bay's schedule looks tough, but considering their record, I'd expect that. Of course, if Favre retires and Minnesota is left to rely on Tavaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels, well, their schedule gets a lot easier.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The new "powerhouse" division might just be the AFC East. The Jets have made a fuckload of good personnel moves this offseason - Holmes and Tomlinson were both good additions to areas where they were already strong. That receiver corps isn't elite, but it's damn good when you consider how good their run game is. Sanchez isn't going to have many excuses this year - if his accuracy improves, look out. Miami meanwhile got better by subtraction, getting rid of Ginn, Jr. and letting Jason Taylor & Joey Porter go while picking up Brandon Marshall. With that run game and better receivers, they will be a tough out. New England hasn't moved forward or backwards that I can tell but they are still New England. Buffalo is the bitch of that division again.

Of course, the draft could change all that. I'm really hoping the Packers draft an offensive lineman or a running back worth a shit.

WayAbvPar

Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 10:46:35 AM

Pete Carroll.

Cry

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 10:53:54 AM

And in other news (and the NFL's desperate hope that this gets buried by the draft), Ben's suspension got announced today.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-ben-roethlisberger-suspended-six-games-0421,0,368104.story
WayAbvPar

Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 11:19:34 AM

Just as an FYI- I will post a video of me burning my Seahawks jersey in front of their sign if they swing a trade for Raplisberger.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 11:26:06 AM

He'll look perfect in a Raiders uniform.  Too perfect to happen, probably.
WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 11:34:45 AM

Yes he will. Al Davis doesn't give a fuck how many co-eds he rapes as long as he plays on Sunday. Which is why Carroll will bring him here and make me find new hobbies on autumn Sundays.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 11:51:09 AM

Yes he will. Al Davis doesn't give a fuck how many co-eds he rapes as long as he plays on Sunday. Which is why Carroll will bring him here and make me find new hobbies on autumn Sundays.

Hope for the best because raking leaves sucks ass.  why so serious?

I am looking forward to St Louis taking Suh and sending the entire draft burning into the ground with the WTF scenarios.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 11:55:54 AM

diluted, mediocre NFC East

Dudebro.  The NFC East is clearly the best division in football. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 12:05:17 PM

I've heard that for years. It isn't true. There was one year the NFC East was the best division, the year the Giants won the Super Bowl. Last year? Hell no. Washington has sucked for years, and the Giants were godawful last year. I actually thought the AFC South was the best division last year once Vince Young started winning games for the Titans again. None of the teams were pushovers after that point. The NFC North was a close second, IMO.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 12:11:26 PM by Trippy »

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 01:01:51 PM

I've heard that for years. It isn't true. There was one year the NFC East was the best division, the year the Giants won the Super Bowl. Last year? Hell no. Washington has sucked for years, and the Giants were godawful last year. I actually thought the AFC South was the best division last year once Vince Young started winning games for the Titans again. None of the teams were pushovers after that point. The NFC North was a close second, IMO.

Washington hasn't "sucked for years."  They were good under Gibbs.  Under Zorn, they've been average at worst.  They certainly have one of the best defenses in football.  Their main problem is at QB.  Last year they lost a slew of games by just a few points.  Dallas is a powerhouse.  Philly is very good.  The Giants are also very solid.  You have to realize that finishing 8-8 doesn't mean you're a terrible team.  Especially when you play in the NFC East and you have no divisional cakewalks.  

I mean what exactly is your point anyway?  That the NFC East is the second best division in football?  Sure, ok.  I don't know anyone who knows anything about football who thinks the AFC South is a better division than the NFC East.  

Edit:  And I'll just add that the fact that you think the NFC North (home to the Lions and Bears) is the 2nd best division in football means that you're either wildly misinformed or we're subscribing different meaning to the term "best division in football."
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:08:43 PM by dusematic »
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 01:10:33 PM

Rumor has it Steelers have begun contacting teams to trade Ben Roethlisberger for a top 10 pick. At least one team considering it...

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 01:11:42 PM

I think they'd have to get more than a top ten pick for him.  Unless the Rooney's just really can't stomach being around a rapist anymore.
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 03:16:28 PM

Considering I live in mulletland, talk radio here is all about the steelers and raiders trying to make a trade happen. Maybe the raiders 1st rounder and Gradkowski considering he's a local boy.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 03:27:21 PM

Washington hasn't "sucked for years."  They were good under Gibbs.  

I'm sorry, I lost the rest of your post in the laughter. At best, they were adequate under Gibbs mainly because of their defense - they certainly didn't scare anyone. The Giants last year were 8-8, sure - but they were a TERRIBLE 8-8. They could have easily lost another 2-4 games, their defense was fucktastically bad most games and Eli lost the plot when he got injured. In what world is Dallas a powerhouse? They have a decent pass rush, a good QB whose 1 career playoff win was against a Philly team in a slump and a pourous offensive line. I'd give even odds on any team in last year's AFC South vs. any team in the NFC East from last year.

Yes, the NFC North had the Lions, but the Bears were a better team than Washington, and both Green Bay and Minnesota were better teams than anybody in the NFC East. I'd even rank Arizona's team last year as even with the Cowboys and Eagles - good teams with exploitable flaws. Now without Warner, I wouldn't say that about Arizona. And without McNabb, I put Philly a little higher than Washington - maybe on a par with Chicago or Carolina or Atlanta.

The NFC is New Orleans & Minnesota (if Favre returns) followed by Green Bay & Dallas with everyone else shaking out somewhere in the remaining mix unless there are some serious changes and fantastic draft picks coming up.

And if the Raider get Rapelisberger or even if the Steelers dump him on someone else, the Ravens can go ahead and sign their name to that division.

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 03:35:16 PM

Wow.  You're so clueless about the NFL I'm not going to even waste time arguing with you.  It's cool that you're a casual fan.
WayAbvPar

Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 03:54:01 PM

And if the Raider get Rapelisberger or even if the Steelers dump him on someone else, the Ravens can go ahead and sign their name to that division.

Getting Boldin pretty much took care of that. Steelers have been doing it with defense and smoke and mirrors for years now. Baltimore has always had a good defense, and their offense is going to be A LOT better with a more experienced QB and RB, and a nice new WR to catch the ball.

You would know that if you were a REEL FAN  swamp poop

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 04:06:17 PM

Wow.  You're so clueless about the NFL I'm not going to even waste time arguing with you.  It's cool that you're a casual fan.

You think Washington didn't suck under Gibbs. You are delusional.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 04:36:20 PM

I'd like to hear your expert opinion.  It's easy to be critical when you don't offer a counterpoint. 

Like I tell my students: there's nothing beneficial in saying that I suck unless you tell me why. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 05:27:22 PM

On what specifically?  The Skins went to the playoffs 2/4 years under Gibbs.  They won a playoff game.  Were they favorites to win the Superbowl?  No. They had a great defense and a solid power running game.  They struggled at the QB position.  But to say as Haemish does, that they "sucked for years" and to try to laugh me out of the thread when I said they were good under Gibbs is ignorant.  Actually, almost everything Haemish says is ignorant, but I digress.

Edit:  Anyway, my overarching point is that people on the internet can talk about things they don't know anything about with the utmost authority, and people will believe them.  The only problem with this strategy is that no matter how stridently you argue you will only ever convince those who are similarly clueless.  I'm sure I could spend the rest of my life arguing about the NFL on the internet.  The problem is that even if I win I lose.  I've only convinced people that don't know anything in the first place.  Sure, it's a copout.  So sue me. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 05:37:04 PM by dusematic »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 05:36:04 PM

Both of Gibbs' playoff appearances were as wild cards (10-6 and 9-7 seasons) and the one playoff game they won against Tampa Bay set a record for fewest offensive yards gained in a playoff victory. Yes, they had pretty good defenses and decent running games during those years. They were hardly good teams, however.

You consider Dallas a powerhouse, yet they've also only won 1 playoff game in forever, and it was against an Eagles team that had only needed one win to potentially knock the Cowboys out of the playoffs but instead lost and barely made it in as a wild card. New Orleans was a powerhouse last year. Minnesota was a powerhouse. Everyone else in the league, including the Colts? Not powerhouses. There were some good teams (Colts, Chargers, Cowboys, Packers) and some hot-cold teams (Ravens, Jets, Cardinals) but the powerhouses played in the NFC Championships.

EDIT: As an aside, to compare the Gibbs' Redskins teams to another team that sucked despite making the playoffs, they reminded me of the Baltimore Ravens under Belichek - great defense, great running game, shit passing game under a succession of mediocre to bad QB's. They made the playoffs, but they still sucked because they never had the stuff to make it very far in the playoffs. They didn't scare the good teams. They just happened to suck less than other teams that REALLY sucked.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 05:38:19 PM by HaemishM »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 06:07:19 PM

Isn't this really just a fight over the fact that Haemish says 'sucks' and means 'mediocre'?

Surely we can come up with better grounds for a flame war.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 06:09:57 PM

Yeah, you nancies shut up and watch my Browns take the AFC north thru the back door.  why so serious?

Fuck I hate my hometown...  Ohhhhh, I see.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 08:25:29 PM

The "NFC East is the bomb" concept is a hangover from the stretch in the 80s and early 90s when the division won 8 out of 14 superbowls.  I must be old because when I hear people talking about Gibbs' teams sucking I ask myself "then how did he win 3 Superbowls with them"?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 09:02:30 PM

Whether or not they are the absolute best is almost irrelevant.  They're in the discussion.  I'm not arguing against people who think the NFC East is very good but not quite the best.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 09:04:36 PM

I wasn't talking about Gibbs' Super Bowl teams. Those were great fucking teams, and yes, the NFC East was a monster then. I'm talking about his second stint.

The net result of parity this decade has meant that there are at most 3-4 great teams a year, 4-6 mediocre teams that suck when compared to the best teams of the league and then the real cesspools like the 0-16 Lions or the Raiders. Mediocrity sucks.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 09:08:37 PM

The "NFC East is the bomb" concept is a hangover from the stretch in the 80s and early 90s when the division won 8 out of 14 superbowls.  I must be old because when I hear people talking about Gibbs' teams sucking I ask myself "then how did he win 3 Superbowls with them"?

The NFC isn't the best anymore, and this is coming from a Dallas fan. The reason they get credit is because they are the most interesting division in the NFC, with the biggest fan bases in the country. In terms of sports towns, it's tough to rival New York, Dallas, Philly, and Washington in fans.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:12:42 PM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 10:07:44 PM

I wasn't talking about Gibbs' Super Bowl teams. Those were great fucking teams, and yes, the NFC East was a monster then. I'm talking about his second stint.

I figured as much, but it just sorta made me chuckle. Everything since Daniel Snyder took over has been shit.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 10:19:12 PM

The "NFC East is the bomb" concept is a hangover from the stretch in the 80s and early 90s when the division won 8 out of 14 superbowls.  I must be old because when I hear people talking about Gibbs' teams sucking I ask myself "then how did he win 3 Superbowls with them"?

The NFC isn't the best anymore, and this is coming from a Dallas fan. The reason they get credit is because they are the most interesting division in the NFC, with the biggest fan bases in the country. In terms of sports towns, it's tough to rival New York, Dallas, Philly, and Washington in fans.

I agree with this they are mostly a reflection of NY media market and good storylines + Dallas Cowboys are always relevant even when they aren't.  Don't forget that TO was part of the NFC East during the ESPN witch hunt years.  All that said the idea that the NFC North has ever been the best division in the NFL in the last however years is fucking retarded.  I'm with Duse on that one.

Best teams in NFC North Vikes w/ Favre otherwise random Bears years or Packers by default and they haven't been scary in for fucking ever.

Best teams in the NFC East is shared by the years the Giants defense was awesome and Eli wasn't shitting the bed and oh yeah all those years the Eagles won the NFC.

That isn't even close.

Worst team in the NFC North Lions, worst team in football.

Worst team in the NFC East Redskins except on years where one of the other teams imploded.  Chances are though the worst team in the NFC East was never more then 2 wins outside of a wild card spot.  Can't say that about the fucking Lions can you.

That is a stupid fucking comparison and the only reason people are failing to point that out is its Haem versus Duse.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:22:02 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #30 on: April 22, 2010, 08:37:24 AM

Yep, Lions suck. The Packers have returned to respectability. But I was specifically talking about this past year and the upcoming year as to the NFC North's status. You take Favre out of Minnesota last year and 1) that division is a cakewalk for the Pack and 2) that division is probably third from the bottom in shittiness (followed by the AFC West and the worst of the worst, the NFC West). If Favre doesn't return, the NFC North will be a shitty division that should be a cakewalk for the Pack. But last year did have Favre, and it did have a team that could have gotten to the Super Bowl and a wild card team that could have caused problems for any team in the league offensively.

ESPN likes to trumpet the NFC East as the best division because of the huge media markets involved, but it just isn't true. The AFC South didn't have a bad team from top to bottom once the Titans started winning again and yes, I'm including the Texans and the Jags. Despite their records, I think anyone of them could hang with any of the NFC East teams. The AFC East wasn't bad either in that regard - even shitty Buffalo gave New Orleans fits (Saints only scored 16 points and barely won while Washington should have beat the Saints but didn't, and gave up over 30 points).

Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 22, 2010, 02:24:16 PM

He'll look perfect in a Raiders uniform.  Too perfect to happen, probably.

I think old Al is going to crack and take Tebow with the 8th pick. Imagine the image for a second, Tebow and Davis shaking hands at the first Oakland Raiders press conference. What would that do to the fabric of time and space?

WayAbvPar

Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 03:59:10 PM

I would die laughing before I ever got to witness it.

I have no faith in Carroll not to fuck this up completely. My three worst nightmare scenarios-

1) He trades one or both 1st round picks for Rapelisburger
2) He drafts Tim Tebow
3) He drafts Clausen without trading down and getting more picks.

If Suh or McCoy don't make it to 6 (fat chance there), I would like to see Berry at 6 and then Derrick Morgan at 14. Pimp out the defense, get the home crowd roaring, and hope you can patch up the offense as you go.

Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 22, 2010, 04:01:33 PM

the Baltimore Ravens under Belichek

He had been fired before the team became the Ravens, and his Browns were never very good, defensively or otherwise.

I'm stuck here twiddling my thumbs, hoping Major Wright falls to #75.  The Bears find a starting FS in rounds 3-5 or they are doomed.
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 22, 2010, 04:03:19 PM

get the home crowd roaring

I assume you mean "keep" the home crowd roaring, as 10 consecutive points by the opponents seems to shut that place down.   awesome, for real
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2010  
Jump to: