Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:46:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2010 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2010  (Read 247734 times)
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 22, 2010, 04:04:43 PM

The NFC East argument is obviously subjective.  My opinion is very biased, considering I am a Philly die-hard. I think it is obvious that they weren't the strongest division last year (I would say AFC South), but they are ALWAYS in the top 3 which leads to the year-to-year proclamations.  

I don't think we should be talking about the NFC North though.  They were a bit stronger last year, but if you match them up in round-robin I still think the NFC East takes 60-70% of those games.  I think that the black-and-blue division is definitely getting better with the exception of Chicago.  I watched the majority of the Lions games this year (just because they are local and you gotta cheer for them as well) and I am impressed by some of talent in that division now (Rodgers, Stafford, Calvin Johnson, Peterson, Harvin..).  Having Detroit and a weakening Chicago twice a year on the schedule inflates Minnesota and Green Bay a bit.  

I loved watching Minnesota decimate the Cowboys this year though DRILLING AND MANLINESS and they definitely earned top-billing in the NFC this year.

Just anxiously awaiting the draft now....less than an hour to go. The draft has become one of my favourite sporting events of the year. I am hoping the Eagles make a move for safety Eric Berry.  Kansas City may take him, but if he slides past them I wouldn't be surprised to see the Eagles move.  Eagles drafts are usually boring but safe (OLs in the first round) but having moved to take Maclin last year shows a bit more aggression from the front office.  The new GM (Howie Roseman) has already shown some balls for the ever-conservative eagles with the McNabb shocker this year.  Time will tell on that decision though, I have no idea what to say about it especially when the Eagles face McNabb twice a year now.
WayAbvPar

Reply #36 on: April 22, 2010, 04:05:43 PM

get the home crowd roaring

I assume you mean "keep" the home crowd roaring, as 10 consecutive points by the opponents seems to shut that place down.   awesome, for real

Heh. I am guessing you were in the beer line for the brief few moments we had to cheer about  Heartbreak

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #37 on: April 22, 2010, 06:03:45 PM

Kolb may be good, he may eventually be better, but he's going to have some serious growing pains first. Hopefully they won't turn on him like they did McNabb.

Yeah, that'll happen.  Ohhhhh, I see.

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #38 on: April 22, 2010, 07:15:54 PM

Tebow to Denver. Not a bad choice actually, given what they actually needed, which was pretty much nothing.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 22, 2010, 07:46:00 PM

I don't know if Tebow will evolve into an NFL quarterback.  All signs point to no.  But I don't think you can write it off yet.

The thing about Tebow is that he just comes off like a douche bag.  It makes it really easy to not like him.  I can see a personality like his working in college with a bunch of kids.  But aside from questions about his physical ability fitting into the NFL mold, I kind of have this question in the back of my mind whether highly paid professional athletes will buy into what he sells.  If I'm a Denver Bronco, right now I'm thinking, "Oh great, a circus is coming to town and we have to deal with this guy on the field and off for the next six months."  I'm tired of him and he's not even there yet.

I heard this anecdote on the radio.  It was at whatever written test they give out at or before the NFL Combine.  The instructor was handing out the no. 2 pencils or whatever, and asking if anyone had any questions before we begin.  Tebow apparently raises his hand and says, "Do you mind if I lead us in a prayer before we start."  And one of the other players anonymously shouted, "Man, shut the fuck up."

I just don't see his act playing in the NFL.  Of course if he gets in there and lights it up, then my dreams of Tebow schadenfreude are crushed.

AKA Gyoza
Ratadm
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 22, 2010, 07:55:45 PM

I'm pretty sure people were chanting tebow sucks when he was drafted.   Also a 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks seems a bit much for tebow, I have trouble believing he wasn't going to be there in the second.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 22, 2010, 08:01:53 PM

He is a QB from Florida.

That is all the measure you need to know how well he will do in the NFL.

From some google searching:

Q: Which University of Florida quarterbacks have been successful in the NFL?

A: Through the 2008 season, 11 Florida QBs have played in the NFL:

Kerwin Bell, Rex Grossman, Bob Hewko, Doug Johnson, Eric Kresser, Shane Matthews, Jesse Palmer, John Reaves, Kay Stephenson, Danny Wuerffel, and Steve Spurrier.

Not exactly household names but success is in the eye of the beholder. Any player that makes an NFL roster is a success regardless of how their career goes. None of the QBs listed above had great success in the NFL. Rex Grossman was the QB of the Bears that made Super Bowl XLI. Jesse Palmer is more notable for being on 'The Bachelor' than his NFL career. Steve Spurrier had a 10 year career in the NFL but most of it was as a punter and bombed in his two seasons as head coach of the Washington Redskins.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 22, 2010, 08:19:23 PM

And Grossman was reviled in Chicago.  Like he was teh debil.

AKA Gyoza
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #43 on: April 22, 2010, 08:37:44 PM

the Baltimore Ravens under Belichek

He had been fired before the team became the Ravens, and his Browns were never very good, defensively or otherwise.

Damn. I meant Billick. Great defense, mediocre offense at best.

EDIT: Forgot the draft started tonight. Tebow in Denver? Sounds like someone wants to run the fucking Wildcat. Yay. Didn't they already get another veteran QB? They'd probably have done better with Claussen if they were drafting a guy to be a QB. And yeah, I'm sick of the Tebow Kool-Aid too. I'm happy enough with Green Bay's first pick, an OT who ESPN says will probably be better suited as a right tackle. He can't be any worse than the other non-ancient options the Pack has at tackle. Maybe they'll get a decent running back in the 2nd round.

Lot of defensive players and offensive linemen taken in the first round.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 08:45:21 PM by HaemishM »

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 22, 2010, 09:06:13 PM

Yea my prayers have finally been answered this year when the 49ers used two first round picks on a LT and a big ol' Samoan beefcake Guard.  Offensive linemen's value really can't be underestimated.  And they've dicked around with mid round picks in these positions with a couple exceptions for years.  It drives me insane.  If you draft a rookie quarterback, then you should be drafting linemen to grow up with him.  If you're not, you wasted a pick on a quarterback who will get destroyed and be afraid to sit in the pocket.  See:  Alex Smith.

AKA Gyoza
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #45 on: April 22, 2010, 09:16:01 PM

Unless you absolutely are in dire need of a player at a skill position, the first round is only for trades and trench players. Anything else will get you mocked when the coin flip comes up bust.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #46 on: April 22, 2010, 10:13:06 PM

Really, really happy with the Niners draft, although they didn't need to trade up so we're out a 4th rounder for no real good reason.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 22, 2010, 10:41:10 PM

I don't even care about the 4th round, or the whole rest of the draft.  They've accomplished their mission.  Hell, if they spend the rest of the picks on the O line, I'll be happy.  They can just give the ball to Gore, and plow their way to victory.  Although, they can probably use some depth in their defensive backfield.

Also, you're a Niner fan?  For some reason in my mind I thought you were European.

AKA Gyoza
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 23, 2010, 12:35:10 AM

Nope, Bay Area native, Cal grad, etc etc.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #49 on: April 23, 2010, 04:20:35 AM

Not sure about Williams at 4 with Okung still there. I guess Williams fits better with Shanny's style, but still. Also, what the fuck Jacksonville... at least the Raiders didn't reach too far this year so I guess the Jags had to take up the slack.

While back at the Justice League, I am guessing Haden was the best corner so the Browns took him, but there seems to be a bigger need for Thomas at safety since KC fucked up the rotation. I am not saying its a bad pick for my home team, but given you just picked up Shelton, I would have thought the second best (and not by that much) safety on the board would have outweighed the best corner on the board. Can't fault them for having two shut down corners now, IF Haden can keep up in the pro game.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 23, 2010, 04:33:13 AM

I now have a new reason to hate Dallas.  Not because I have my panties all in a bunch over not getting Dez Bryant, but now I've had to listen to fucking dipshit fans whine all god damn morning about how the Ravens didn't trade up to get him.  With FIVE fucking picks, only one being in the first round, I'd love to find out how the fuck they were thinking we were moving up without completely fucking ourselves over.  
WayAbvPar

Reply #51 on: April 23, 2010, 09:03:02 AM

Dez Bryant is going to be a huge bust. It is crazy taking dipshits like that with first round picks when you have Sheriff Goodell running the league.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #52 on: April 23, 2010, 09:06:26 AM

Why would the Ravens need a guy like Bryant? Boldin is going to draw so many double teams that they could draft a 7th round guy and he'll still get a decent number of catches. Their first game against the Steelers will be during Big Ben's suspension, so they can probably pencil in 3 sure victories (that game and the 2 against Cleveland) and maybe more with the games against the Bengals.

Having looked at Bulaga a bit, I'm even more happy with him for the Packers. Big motherfucker with good technique who is used to midwestern weather? I don't even care if he plays right or left tackle, he'll still be a vast improvement. I really hope they get a good corner, running back and defensive end in the draft, then go for more O Line and defensive backfield depth.

Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #53 on: April 23, 2010, 06:39:54 PM

I'm stuck here twiddling my thumbs, hoping Major Wright falls to #75.  The Bears find a starting FS in rounds 3-5 or they are doomed.

...and queue the "we'd have taken him in the 1st" press conference... Check!

Seriously, this never works the way I want it to, so naturally I'm assuming this won't work.

Good drafts by Seattle and the Niners so far, just on college pedigrees.  Never quite works out all the way, though.
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: April 23, 2010, 06:59:59 PM

Why on earth does cleveland go for two injury prone players in the 2nd round. Ward and not Mays? wtf?

I am mildly excited about Colt though... mildly.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 23, 2010, 09:21:04 PM

Kind of amazing Mays lasted til the 49ers pick in the 2nd round but I'm not complaining.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #56 on: April 23, 2010, 09:25:05 PM

I feel sorry for Jahvid Best, he is going to die. :(

God Save the Horn Players
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #57 on: April 23, 2010, 10:08:22 PM

Two Utes go in the second round!

Did you say two Utes?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 10:42:27 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: April 23, 2010, 10:40:29 PM

Kind of amazing Mays lasted til the 49ers pick in the 2nd round but I'm not complaining.

I hope that by drafting a USC safety they can somehow interest Lott to come back in any capacity what-so-ever and help him develop.  Even if it's just a couple workouts to see how a real champion prepares.  I guess they're not short on looming intimidating presences in the locker room these days, but still.

Also, I totally called that pick.

AKA Gyoza
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #59 on: April 24, 2010, 08:48:52 AM

Carroll trades a 4th for Lendale White.  Nice move!
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #60 on: April 24, 2010, 11:43:17 PM

Did someone lock Al Davis in a closet or something? The Raiders weren't retarded this year.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #61 on: April 24, 2010, 11:56:37 PM

They still managed to draft the fastest guy in the draft and the unofficial "combine winner" in the process.  But not with their first few picks, which was impressive restraint.

It was pretty cool to see Earl Mitchell go in the third round. Guy started out as a fullback/TE and ended up as a DT at Arizona (he was also my dad's favorite player  DRILLING AND MANLINESS).  Great run stuffer and got a lot of important sacks late in games.  It'll be interesting to see how he does on that Texans line with Mario Williams and company.

edit: Yah, it looks like they reanimated Al at about the fourth round.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 12:02:16 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #62 on: April 25, 2010, 12:17:33 AM

Raider trade for Campbell which immediately makes them a better team - and yes, that is as sad as it sounds. I suppose that means the Jamarcus Russell era is officially over. Good trade for Lendale White as well - ole Chunk ought to be able to be the feature back I expected him to be out of college. He won't be as productive as Chris Johnson, but he'll be better than the Seahawks current options. Hell, I wish Green Bay would have traded for him. The RB we drafted sounds decent, but he's built more like Ryan Grant than a pound it out type of runner. And the Packers failed to pick a cornerback, choosing to draft a DT they probably didn't need instead.

WayAbvPar

Reply #63 on: April 26, 2010, 09:17:07 AM

I am shocked by the quality of everything Carroll did over the weekend. I hated everything he did before the draft, but I can't complain about anything since. 3 immediate starters in the first 3 picks, and then traded for another starter (Washington or White, take your pick). They still need some OT help/depth and some DL depth, and probably another corner, oh, and a QB to take over when Matt goes away (Not gonna be Unfrozen Caveman Clipboard Holder Whitehurst), but they seem to be moving in the right direction.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: April 26, 2010, 01:04:39 PM

Denver fan checking in.

As for Tebow, i'm optimistic. Shitastic friends aside (and values), he has a good work ethic and is trying to fix any issues he has with his mechanics. Additionally, if it were another coach than McDaniels, I would worry more. He's had a good history of coaching QBs. Additionally, most of the cost of grabbing him was from trading back and getting more picks. Even with drafting two first round players, we still managed to draft 9 players.

beer geek.
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: April 26, 2010, 01:47:53 PM

I am shocked by the quality of everything Carroll did over the weekend. I hated everything he did before the draft, but I can't complain about anything since. 3 immediate starters in the first 3 picks, and then traded for another starter (Washington or White, take your pick). They still need some OT help/depth and some DL depth, and probably another corner, oh, and a QB to take over when Matt goes away (Not gonna be Unfrozen Caveman Clipboard Holder Whitehurst), but they seem to be moving in the right direction.

Carroll always had a knack for recruiting... and now he can do it with money.  why so serious?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: April 26, 2010, 01:55:27 PM

Carroll always had a knack for recruiting... and now he can do it with money.  why so serious?

"now"

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 12, 2010, 03:12:36 PM

Jets coach Ryan uses some choice language in a video, and is taking some heat...
May or may not be SFW depending how loud you want cursing to be heard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuGqhZ9SnUg&feature=player_embedded

Ryan talked a little about that clip and foul language in the press conference here

BTW PRESEASON INCOMING NECRO

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #68 on: August 12, 2010, 03:16:02 PM

NEWS AT 11! FOOTBALL COACH USES SALTY LANGUAGE IN A ROOM FULL OF GROWN MEN! SHOCK AND HORROR ENSUES!

What the fuck? This is even a story?

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 12, 2010, 04:51:47 PM

Sexy Rexy!  Its just how he is and he won't change.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2010  
Jump to: