Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:20:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: My, my world first! A bloo bloo bloo (WoW-nerd drama) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My, my world first! A bloo bloo bloo (WoW-nerd drama)  (Read 18999 times)
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 22, 2010, 01:30:56 PM

My fiancee and I have a pretty good understanding that a couple nights a week i do Raiding and can't be too bothered afterwards, but I also try to have dinner made before the raid and what not. She uses that time to watch her shows, or do some hobby she enjoys.

beer geek.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 22, 2010, 03:01:02 PM

My fiancee and I have a pretty good understanding that a couple nights a week i do Raiding and can't be too bothered afterwards, but I also try to have dinner made before the raid and what not. She uses that time to watch her shows, or do some hobby she enjoys.

making thor voodoo dolls?

Anywho, I think our guild is happily casual, even if a number of us DO min/max, and have multiple raid geared 80s. We still lack that magical spark of hardcore. The "this is more important than X Y or Z real life commitment or activity" element. Having a bunch of epic'd out alts is pretty much normal at this point in the game, leveling is just that easy, and the LFD system makes gearing them actually kinda fun.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #37 on: April 22, 2010, 04:11:10 PM

Casual is when your main isn't 80 yet, and you don't care.

Serious is when you raid, or LFD and spend more than a handful of gold on your gems and enchants.

Hardcore is when you realize that skipping your shower gives you 15 more minutes to finish dailies on your 3rd raiding alt.

So to be casual, you need to have a lot of alts? Because that's the only way anyone who actually subscribes to the game could lack a level 80 main by now. The expansion has been out for like a year and a half, even someone who plays maybe an hour or two on weekends and absolutely nothing more could have a hundred hours sunk into WOTLK already.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 22, 2010, 05:45:20 PM

I started playing in open beta and I have just one lvl 80.  I consider myself a casual explorer, have the achievement to prove it. :)
I've tried to raid, but my gear never seems to be up to par for it.

And I suck at it. :(
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 22, 2010, 06:11:30 PM

I started playing in open beta and I have just one lvl 80.  I consider myself a casual explorer, have the achievement to prove it. :)
I've tried to raid, but my gear never seems to be up to par for it.

And I suck at it. :(

I can draw on years of raiding experience and extrapolate from the above statement that you just don't play enough to raid.  It's not a matter of sucking.  I'm pretty confident I could train a monkey to raid.  And I know virtually nothing about monkeys.  I'm saying what you perceive as sucking is simply a lack of time investment.  Time reading about the mechanics of this or that, time practicing situational awareness and key-binding muscle memory, time wrapping your brain around your class role, time modifying the UI to your specifications, time conditioning yourself to endure some of the inbred fucktards on the internet, are all things that just take time.  And if you don't have it, human nature usually wants to blame itself.  It's not you.  I just saved you like 5 years of your life.  Grats.

AKA Gyoza
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 22, 2010, 06:14:20 PM

I just saved you like 5 years of your life.  Grats.
Yeah, if you want to raid just seriously invest in time to get over that initial hurdle.  Once you've done it it becomes considerably less of an issue, more about just keeping up with the latest encounters and class mechanic changes.  But personally, if you aren't interested in it don't feel bad at all.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #41 on: April 22, 2010, 07:35:07 PM

I can draw on years of raiding experience and extrapolate from the above statement that you just don't play enough to raid.  It's not a matter of sucking.  I'm pretty confident I could train a monkey to raid.  And I know virtually nothing about monkeys.  I'm saying what you perceive as sucking is simply a lack of time investment.  Time reading about the mechanics of this or that, time practicing situational awareness and key-binding muscle memory, time wrapping your brain around your class role, time modifying the UI to your specifications, time conditioning yourself to endure some of the inbred fucktards on the internet, are all things that just take time.  And if you don't have it, human nature usually wants to blame itself.  It's not you.  I just saved you like 5 years of your life.  Grats.

Shit, I better get started on that.  ACK!

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #42 on: April 22, 2010, 07:37:44 PM

I prefer to just half-ass it and delegate all that shit to my other co-leaders.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #43 on: April 22, 2010, 08:21:16 PM

Ha, fabricated used negative man. I *JUST* noticed.

Oh, Ensidia? Whiners gonna whine.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 22, 2010, 11:55:28 PM

Serious is when you raid, or LFD and spend more than a handful of gold on your gems and enchants.

Hardcore is when you realize that skipping your shower gives you 15 more minutes to finish dailies on your 3rd raiding alt.

So to be casual, you need to have a lot of alts? Because that's the only way anyone who actually subscribes to the game could lack a level 80 main by now. The expansion has been out for like a year and a half, even someone who plays maybe an hour or two on weekends and absolutely nothing more could have a hundred hours sunk into WOTLK already.

There are a few people in my guild who haven't hit 80 yet. And don't have alts.
But the "Don't care" is the important part.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 23, 2010, 01:53:30 PM

There are a few people in my guild who haven't hit 80 yet. And don't have alts.
But the "Don't care" is the important part.

I mean, how often to do they play?  Playing regularly (keyword regularly, not necessarily frequently) anyone who didn't buy the game extremely recently should be level 80, unless you spend the majority of your time putzing around in cities/towns, or maybe the extremely rare even on RP servers RPers.  Maybe its just been so long since I was new to MMOs that i can't even remember what it must be like to play that extremely casually, but it seems beyond simply the title of "casual" that most people would use.

I think there are a lot of people who even raid who consider themselves casual, and its probably a fair title, you don't need to invest much time OR energy to raiding these days, unless you are doing the most recent stuff.   Then again, I raided for many years during some of WoWs most difficult and casual unfriendly instances/encounters, so to me a lot of the new stuff seems very accessible, with all the different difficulty levels and so on.  Not that it is a bad thing, but I just mean to say, you can "care" and be casual.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 23, 2010, 03:32:08 PM

I think there are a lot of people who even raid who consider themselves casual, and its probably a fair title, you don't need to invest much time OR energy to raiding these days, unless you are doing the most recent stuff.   Then again, I raided for many years during some of WoWs most difficult and casual unfriendly instances/encounters, so to me a lot of the new stuff seems very accessible, with all the different difficulty levels and so on.  Not that it is a bad thing, but I just mean to say, you can "care" and be casual.

That's why I use the Serious category. Actually, there's a wide range of time, investment, knowledge, etc. with players. Putting them into boxes is going to get exceptions. To me, if you raid, you're serious enough to get 10-25 people organized and working together. LFD is kind of a middle ground, it can be casualed, and it can be serioused. (Oh, god, the words.)

And anyone can care about the game. But do they care enough to look up their class on elitist jerks or know what's BIS for their class? That's a serious indicator right there. 

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #47 on: April 23, 2010, 03:37:01 PM

To me, if you raid, you're serious enough to get 10-25 people organized and working together.

You'd be surprised how many people get dragged through raids with no real idea what is going on or what they should really be doing.  awesome, for real

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 23, 2010, 04:32:44 PM

...no.
No, I wouldn't.   smiley

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #49 on: April 23, 2010, 09:19:05 PM

how u tank

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 24, 2010, 09:23:43 AM

If I move out of the fire, my dps will drop.  I can't cast while I'm moving!

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 24, 2010, 10:34:38 AM

Bad dps stands in fire

Good dps avoids the fire altogether

Great dps knows exactly how many ticks of the fire they can safely take.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: April 24, 2010, 11:06:22 AM

Or how close to the gas clouds they can stand without spawning another add...
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: April 24, 2010, 12:08:22 PM

Bad dps stands in fire

Good dps avoids the fire altogether

You made my weekly quote wall.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #54 on: April 24, 2010, 03:36:10 PM

Something surreal took place in my guild alliance over the last 6 days. I want to point this out on the varying levels of wanna-be-hardcore aggrandizing douchebaggery in a forum post:

- Dude posts about his 10 man raid in the general forum.
- The post was related to the Lich King kill on their 10 man normal (not heroic) run.
- The post was a preemptive kill post, meaning they haven't actually killed anything at all. He wanted it as a placeholder.
- He made a follow-up post stating that he was going to have a live feed to their attempts this weekend, on Saturday and Sunday afternoon.
- He's open for a Q&A session about the fight 15 minutes before they get the run going.

I seriously can't make this shit up.  awesome, for real

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 24, 2010, 05:33:30 PM

Tell him you would be more excited and he'd be more badass if he had killed the LK before the Hellscream buffs ;-)

My guild must be an oddity, we've got 30-35 regular players and 25-m proceeds smoothly, with the 10-m groups having killed the LK without any serious drama.  The only real rule we have is you have to contribute to the raid and not get carried, which everyone does pretty good at.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 24, 2010, 06:25:51 PM

I've never had a high level engineer, or seen the inside of AQ40, for example.

Envision spelunking through a series of giant falopian tubes full of cockroaches, when you get to the end, you get to see an eyeball turn into shub-niggurath.

You have now seen the inside of AQ40.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #57 on: April 24, 2010, 08:13:08 PM

Something surreal took place in my guild alliance over the last 6 days. I want to point this out on the varying levels of wanna-be-hardcore aggrandizing douchebaggery in a forum post:

- The post was related to the Lich King kill on their 10 man normal (not heroic) run.
- The post was a preemptive kill post, meaning they haven't actually killed anything at all. He wanted it as a placeholder.
- He made a follow-up post stating that he was going to have a live feed to their attempts this weekend, on Saturday and Sunday afternoon.
- He's open for a Q&A session about the fight 15 minutes before they get the run going.

hahahaha I just looked at that. Who the shit cares about a normal mode Lich King kill outside of the people doing it? It's totally cool to be excited about killing the major big-bad of the series since the fight really isn't a joke even on normal (and you can't brute force it. Even with a 400% damage/healing/HP buff 1-2 retards make it undoable), but at this point...who cares?

They can do it if they want, but it's alright if people find it silly.

I do admit however, my guild streamed/recorded our first runs into Ulduar when it dropped for the first 2-3 weeks so our people who couldn't go got to see how the fights worked (it helped, a lot. Seriously), and because a guild we were friends with had a bunch of people dicking around who weren't in the main raid group either.

After about the 3rd week though we stopped because we were all familiar with the first several encounters and the shine had worn off.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #58 on: April 25, 2010, 09:38:06 AM

I seriously can't make this shit up.  awesome, for real
hahahaha I just looked at that. Who the shit cares about a normal mode Lich King kill outside of the people doing it? It's totally cool to be excited about killing the major big-bad of the series since the fight really isn't a joke even on normal (and you can't brute force it. Even with a 400% damage/healing/HP buff 1-2 retards make it undoable), but at this point...who cares?

They can do it if they want, but it's alright if people find it silly.

I do admit however, my guild streamed/recorded our first runs into Ulduar when it dropped for the first 2-3 weeks so our people who couldn't go got to see how the fights worked (it helped, a lot. Seriously), and because a guild we were friends with had a bunch of people dicking around who weren't in the main raid group either.

After about the 3rd week though we stopped because we were all familiar with the first several encounters and the shine had worn off.

There's two key factors about what you did that make a stream normal. One, it was during the early stages of a fight seeing release. Two, you were doing it for a specific audience without announcing the fact to the unwashed masses. There's a very bright red line between, "Here this might help," and "WHEE LOOK AT ME FUCKWADS!"  why so serious?

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #59 on: May 06, 2010, 12:21:24 PM

2. Wipes / nobody in combat resurrects your raid beside the group > at a respawn point > at the door.

Yes - this is what should happen. When your group exits combat and the boss resets, the whole group should be resurrected with full health and mana and with the buffs and position that they had before the fight began, in exchange for a five minute timer where they can't attack.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 06, 2010, 11:35:24 PM

2. Wipes / nobody in combat resurrects your raid beside the group > at a respawn point > at the door.
Yes - this is what should happen. When your group exits combat and the boss resets, the whole group should be resurrected with full health and mana and with the buffs and position that they had before the fight began, in exchange for a five minute timer where they can't attack.

I don't know whether that's your serious face, but I imagine a timer would be a good way to sort of codify bio breaks / strategy sessions into the game.
Demonix
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: May 07, 2010, 10:45:14 AM

Indeed.  It's fucking awful.  Molten Core levels of boredom and stupidity.

AQ40 had some of my favorite bosses, of course, it had some terrible ones too.  Way better than Molten Core though.  To this day I think C'thun is the best fight Blizzard has ever made

I'll second that!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #62 on: May 07, 2010, 11:26:04 AM

I still think the best fight ever is Blackheart the Inciter.  Heart

TIME FOR FUN

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #63 on: May 07, 2010, 11:31:31 AM

You just liked it because mind controlled tree was the saddest yet most hilarious thing ever.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: My, my world first! A bloo bloo bloo (WoW-nerd drama)  
Jump to: