Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:10:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL: Lord Stanley Tourney 2010 Predictions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL: Lord Stanley Tourney 2010 Predictions  (Read 56336 times)
naum
Terracotta Army

on: April 13, 2010, 12:01:33 PM

The 2nd and better season begins Wednesday night.

OTT (5) v. PIT (4)
PHI (7) v. NJ (2)
MON (8) v. WASH (1)
BOS (6) v. BUF (3)

DET (5) v. PHX (4)
COL (8) v. SJ (1)
LA (6) v. VAN (3)
NASH (7) v. CHI (2)

I need to ponder these matchups before issuing my set of predictions and will post picks tonight.

Round 1 = 1 pt, Round 2 = 2 pt, Round 3 = 4 pt, Finals = 8 pt.

Just pick the first round winners, and we can pick again after 1st round settled.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:07:57 PM

Alright, this not going to take as long as I initially figured, especially Eastern conference which to me are quite obvious…

PIT over OTT - only series that has a chance to go 7 IMV, Fleury need to find his game
NJ over PHI - goaltending the difference here
WASH over MON - will be surprised if not a sweep
BUF over BOS - goaltending again will be difference

DET over PHX - unlucky for Cindarella Yotes to square off against Red Wing squad just hitting their stride
LA over VAN - upset special! younger Kings take down Sedin sisters
CHI over NASH - too much Hawk talent for Preds
SJ over COL - Sharks to survive opening round

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 02:13:55 PM

OTT (5) v. PIT (4)
PHI (7) v. NJ (2)
MON (8) v. WASH (1)
BOS (6) v. BUF (3)

DET (5) v. PHX (4)
COL (8) v. SJ (1)
LA (6) v. VAN (3)
NASH (7) v. CHI (2)

I need to ponder these matchups before issuing my set of predictions and will post picks tonight.

Just pick the first round winners, and we can pick again after 1st round settled.

PENS
DEVILS
CAPS
BRUINS (upset special baby)

REDWINGS
SHARKS
CANUCKS
BLACKHAWKS

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 02:19:39 PM

For the first round I'm predicting 100% chalk.  Since everyone else is taking an upset special I'll go with shit I dunno I guess I'll take Nashville over Chicago as my upset.

Its tempting to listen to pundits and take Flyers over Devils but besides that I can't see any of the series ending in upsets besides the Sharks losing to the Avs because they fucking hate me and hate winning playoff games.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:23:09 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 06:57:40 PM

PIT
PHI
WASH
BUF

PHX
COL
VAN
CHI

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 08:34:13 PM

I'm gonna go with my some fun picks for the teams I like. Upsets ahoy!

Ottawa
NJ
Washington
Boston

Detroit
Colorado
Vancouver
Nashville

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 08:27:38 AM

OTT (5) v. PIT (4)
Ottawa in 6

PHI (7) v. NJ (2)
NJ in 6

MON (8) v. WASH (1)
Caps sweep

BOS (6) v. BUF (3)
Buffalo in 7

DET (5) v. PHX (4)
Coyotes in 6

COL (8) v. SJ (1)
Colorado in 6

LA (6) v. VAN (3)
Canucks in 5

NASH (7) v. CHI (2)
Chicago in 5

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
trotski
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 10:24:19 AM

OTT (5) v. PIT (4)
Ottawa in 7 (because, fuck Sindey and his purse)

PHI (7) v. NJ (2)
NJ in 6

MON (8) v. WASH (1)
Caps in 5

BOS (6) v. BUF (3)
Buffalo in 6

DET (5) v. PHX (4)
Detroit in 6

COL (8) v. SJ (1)
SJ in 7

LA (6) v. VAN (3)
Canucks in 5

NASH (7) v. CHI (2)
Chicago in 6

Xbox live: trotski44
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 11:37:57 AM

Might have picked an Ottawa upset if they didn't lose Kovalev.

OTT (5) v. PIT (4)
Pit in 6

PHI (7) v. NJ (2)
NJ in 5

MON (8) v. WASH (1)
Caps in 6

BOS (6) v. BUF (3)
Buffalo in 6

DET (5) v. PHX (4)
Detroit in 6

COL (8) v. SJ (1)
SJ in 5

LA (6) v. VAN (3)
Canucks in 5

NASH (7) v. CHI (2)
Chicago in 7

Don't see any upsets happening yet.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 11:42:39 AM

PIT
NJ
WASH
BUF

DET
SJ
VAN
CHI

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 12:06:27 PM

OTT (5) v. PIT (4)
PHI (7) v. NJ (2)
MON (8) v. WASH (1)
BOS (6) v. BUF (3)

DET (5) v. PHX (4)
COL (8) v. SJ (1)
LA (6) v. VAN (3)
NASH (7) v. CHI (2)

PIT
PHI
WASH
BUF

DET
SJ
VAN
CHI

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 04:31:26 PM

10 minutes late!

PIT in 5
NJ in 6
WSH in 7
BUF in 7

DET in 4
SJ in 5
VAN in 7
CHI in 6

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 07:17:58 PM

I know a couple game already done but I'll stick to my picks going in...

Sens in 6 - totally biased. Go Sens.
Devils in 5 - Brian Boucher? Really?
Caps in 6 - not really in doubt but some shitty goaltending should drag it out.
Sabres in 6 - all games by 1-0 scores

Wings in 7 - experience wins out.
Sharks in 6 - though I really want the Avs to win. Fuck Heatley.
Canucks in 5 - Kings lack experience.  And whatever you think of Luongo, no way I pick Quick over him.
Preds in 7 - my round 1 shocker. Hawks get done in by the trap and in goal.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:20:46 PM by Special J »
WayAbvPar

Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 10:20:49 AM

I am now officially terrified of the Kings. Or more specifically, Jonathan Quick. He was outstanding last night, and will be a giant pain in the ass the rest of the series. (C'mon jinx!). Rumors circling that Ovechkin is hiding an undisclosed injury, which would explain his scoring drought. Interesting stuff so far. How can you not love the SC playoffs??

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 11:05:26 AM

Interesting stuff so far. How can you not love the SC playoffs??

When you are from the bay area its really easy.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 01:34:40 PM

I am now officially terrified of the Kings. Or more specifically, Jonathan Quick. He was outstanding last night, and will be a giant pain in the ass the rest of the series. (C'mon jinx!). Rumors circling that Ovechkin is hiding an undisclosed injury, which would explain his scoring drought. Interesting stuff so far. How can you not love the SC playoffs??

Yeah, Quick almost stole that one himself.

On Caps v. Habs — either that or Habs have deployed an effective neutralizing strategy. Though Caps are certainly loaded with other scorers, and boast 2+ solid scoring lines. And it certainly shocked me to see Habs prevail, especially after start of game.

On Yotes v. Wings — Detroit appeared at onset of game to be ready to smote Yotes out of existence, but Yotes hung in there and even weathered some shaky goaltending from Bryzgalov and shoddy officiating (though they caught a 3rd period break on a non-call). Doan really amped up his game and made a mark, recklessly launching his sturdy frame into Wing skaters at every opportunity.

On Pens v. Sens — will Fleury find his game? If game #1 offers indication, that answer is a resounding /no.

Strazos

Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 07:14:29 PM

I hope he doesn't. Cup ring or not, I never thought he was particularly good.

AND his pads are ugly.

AND he kind of looks like a woman.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 09:08:49 PM

And he's a filthy francophone.

Loving how much love the Canucks are getting these playoffs. I know it's a pipe dream, but I want them to go all the way.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 09:11:35 PM by NiX »
WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 10:07:02 PM

FUCK. PK is fucking killing me.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 08:49:15 AM

Has it ever happened where all the series were tied 1-1 after the first two games? This is wacky.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 11:50:50 AM

Has it ever happened where all the series were tied 1-1 after the first two games? This is wacky.

Well, Preds still have shot at going up 2-0. Did not see game #1, but apparently was a closer contest than the 4-1 score would indicate…

Strazos

Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 06:28:35 PM

Broduer is looking VERY mortal nowadays.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Fear the Backstab!
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 08:19:01 PM

Broduer is looking VERY mortal nowadays.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

One thing Flyers boast is multiple scoring lines and once vaunted Devil defense is also appearing to very mortal thus far in this 2010 tourney.

Seriously, though, Boucher? Perhaps he can take the Devils down, but I don't see Boucher as Cup winning goalie.

But the first goalie to get yanked will be Theodore or Howard. Osgood done this before and may actually thrive in the role, if he has any game left in him.

Strazos

Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 09:42:59 PM

Seriously, though, Boucher? Perhaps he can take the Devils down, but I don't see Boucher as Cup winning goalie.

What with TWO goaltenders going down with long-term injuries, they didn't really have much of a choice in the matter.

Still, if the Wings can win with Osgood, and Pens with Fluery...then why not Boucher?  why so serious?

Fear the Backstab!
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #24 on: April 18, 2010, 09:47:08 PM

I don't want to be that guy who whines about his team losing to the refereeing, but that was not fun to watch as a Canuck fan. Generally, if a game is fairly even in play, the penatlies wind up close to even. 6 vs. 3 is not exactly even. If you take away the one "manditory" call on each team - delay of game and too many men - it was then 5 vs. 2.

LA has one even strength goal in the two games so far.

Strazos

Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 09:49:56 PM

Tell me about it...there has been some TERRIBLY inconsistent refereeing in the Flyers/Devils series.

Fear the Backstab!
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010, 10:05:57 PM

Dan Boyle shoots the puck into his own net in OT! Yoi… …after outshooting Avs ~50-15… …embarrassing…

Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 06:11:53 AM

I see Dany Heatley sprained his vagina. Pity.

Not looking good for my Sens.  They're playing pretty good I think, but they're not good enough.  Down Kuba, Kovalev and Michalek.  Now Alfredsson may or may not have blown his shoulder.

Can we now declare the Crosby vs. Ovechkin debate officially over?  I sure know which one I'd want.
WayAbvPar

Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 11:46:37 AM

I don't want to be that guy who whines about his team losing to the refereeing, but that was not fun to watch as a Canuck fan. Generally, if a game is fairly even in play, the penatlies wind up close to even. 6 vs. 3 is not exactly even. If you take away the one "manditory" call on each team - delay of game and too many men - it was then 5 vs. 2.

From what I read it the too many men was the wrong call too  0.0 DPS. I wonder who the refs will go after when AV throws AA into the press box until the next century?

WayAbvPar

Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 09:58:14 PM

From what I read it the too many men was the wrong call too  0.0 DPS. I wonder who the refs will go after when AV throws AA into the press box until the next century?

Well now we know.

That was the worst fucking call I have ever seen. Canucks should just fly home and tell Bettman and his cronies to lick their assholes for them since they aren't going to be allowed to win the series. Kings are playing great, but the Canucks are getting fucking raped by the refs and the fucking league office.

It is fucking disgraceful.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 09:24:40 AM

Yeah, the officiating is awful — not just in one, but in all the series.

You just cross your fingers and hope it's not overtly game determinative.

Every series. Ticky-tacky interference calls, phantom make up calls, arms going up immediately for legitimately clean hits, etc.… …meanwhile, sticks to the face, blatant holding/stick grabbing are completely ignored.

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 09:43:38 AM

Shitty reffing isn't exactly new, though. NHL refs have been channeling their wrestling counter-parts ever since their work dispute where they raped the league. I mean, its gotten to the point where a ref has been able to swear at a player, then eject said player when he responded in kind (Souray, forget the ref's name atm). On ice mics caught it all, too. Until players and organizations can actually call out refs for their poor performances nothing will change. Its fairly embarrassing to watch at times (and made the regular season even harder to stomach, as an Oiler fan; bad calls all the time and an even worse team/injuries).

As per the playoffs..

I'm not a Sens fan, and actually like the Pens franchise and a lot of their players.. but I loathe Crosby something fierce. Love his skill, hate the man. One time I met him only reinforced the feeling. Need the Sens to upset the Penguins. Also hoping the Kings upset the Canucks, despite them being a Canadian team I loathe the franchise almost as I do the Montreal Canadians and their fans.

Loved the last Capitals/Canadians game, obviously. I'm hoping for either the Kings or Hawks in the West, Capitals in the East.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 01:36:15 PM

Shitty refs didn't cause the egg that was laid by Roberto Luongo last night.

You can howl about refs all you like except that these refs are the best.  Might not be reassuring, but where are you going to get better ones?  Shitty calls happen.  Nothing's changed.

Every series. Ticky-tacky interference calls, phantom make up calls, arms going up immediately for legitimately clean hits, etc.… …meanwhile, sticks to the face, blatant holding/stick grabbing are completely ignored.

This is what I find frustrating.  Thanks to every single bodycheck being rerolled on TSN hundreds of times while a panel argues the legimacy of each and every one of them; nobody, players or refs know what the hell a good hit is anymore.  It even varies from player to player.

But yeah, Canucks got jobbed on the too many men call.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #33 on: April 20, 2010, 01:44:12 PM

The Canucks deserve to lose if they can't manage a penalty kill rate of 50%. That being said, I went balistic near the end of the third on a play with Bernier standing in front, the puck pops out after a wraparound attempt, and a King on the ice reaches up and grabs on to Bernier's stick and hangs on for dear life.

It bugged me the most, because you can clearly see Bernier trying to tug it free as the puck slowly rolls past him, and then he turns to the ref with his arms out in disbelief - and there isn't even the slightest mention of it by the play by play guys, despite the fact that the camera man literaly zoomed in on it for five seconds, and they showed it again in the replay. Something tells me that CBC has been given the "no criticism" directive.

Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 20, 2010, 01:48:26 PM

Ok I didn't see that.  If it played how you described, that's fucking awful.  It seems that series is getting the worst of it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL: Lord Stanley Tourney 2010 Predictions  
Jump to: