Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:25:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL: Lord Stanley Tourney 2010 Predictions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL: Lord Stanley Tourney 2010 Predictions  (Read 56616 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 03:42:12 PM

Ok I didn't see that.  If it played how you described, that's fucking awful.  It seems that series is getting the worst of it.

It was clearly missed, but it wasn't nearly as bad as described, and the Canucks were getting owned because their penalty kill during that game was fucking atrocious. They let the other team go 100% on the power play...  ACK!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 08:08:17 PM

Yet despite their horrific PK, they should have been tied late in the game, and then chasing a tying goal down the stretch. The no goal completely changed the complexion of the game. They have overcome some bad starts by Luongo during the season, but they can't do it with the refs stealing goals and awarding BS power plays to a team as good as LA.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #37 on: April 20, 2010, 08:55:54 PM

Yet despite their horrific PK, they should have been tied late in the game, and then chasing a tying goal down the stretch. The no goal completely changed the complexion of the game. They have overcome some bad starts by Luongo during the season, but they can't do it with the refs stealing goals and awarding BS power plays to a team as good as LA.

Welcome to the NBA...  awesome, for real

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #38 on: April 20, 2010, 09:02:37 PM

16 powerplays in tonights Devils/Flyers game.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Sixteen.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #39 on: April 20, 2010, 09:15:08 PM

16 powerplays in tonights Devils/Flyers game.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Sixteen.

Ohhhhh, I see. Let's move on to June, we know how this will end.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #40 on: April 21, 2010, 04:04:38 AM

Wings looked pretty good last night. The scored ended up 3-0, but the game didn't flow that way.

Zetterburg and Datsyk are scary when they are hot. This one may go the distance...

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 21, 2010, 07:42:45 AM

Two home games.  Two eggs laid.  See you in October Sens.
Strazos

Reply #42 on: April 21, 2010, 05:48:56 PM

Phantom calls against Crosby?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #43 on: April 21, 2010, 07:19:39 PM

Phantom calls against Crosby?

Pretty much anything to put Pitt in finals. Unless I'm completely off-base, the NHL knows he's the only minorly recognizable player to the average person who watched a hockey game at this point.

Ratings, bitches!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #44 on: April 21, 2010, 10:01:31 PM

OMG. Games like this are why I love hockey. Went back and forth from jumping around cheering to crying into my pillow multiple times. I'm emotionally exhausted.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #45 on: April 22, 2010, 08:41:45 AM

OMG. Games like this are why I love hockey. Went back and forth from jumping around cheering to crying into my pillow multiple times. I'm emotionally exhausted.

My poor son wasn't sure what was wrong with daddy when I started jumping around in my chair after Hank scored. I FINALLY started to relax after the ENG. Still some just godawful calls by the refs though. The high sticking call on Hansen (?) was the direct result of being fucking interfered with, which caused his stick to brush the side of the guy's helmet. The hooking call on Bieksa wasn't much better; Bieksa had his stick in the wrong spot, but the other guy grabbed it and fell down. TONS of sticks being grabbed all night and only 1 call.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 22, 2010, 10:59:37 AM

Only caught the highlights of Bruins-Sabres game, but coach Ruff threw a tantrum in the post game press conference, blaming an atrocious goaltender interference call and another one on a hit on Lucic. Judging from the replay video, I'd say he was quite justified.

But he did swallow the blame for too many men on ice penalty in OT that gave the Bruins the game winning PP opportunity.

Buffalo always seems to get jobbed. Just like 10 years ago when the SC finals were decided on a goal that should have been a no-goal, in accordance with the rules of the time, as video clearly revealed, yet the league and officials continued to lie through their teeth.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Strazos

Reply #47 on: April 22, 2010, 07:04:29 PM

Whodathunkit, Flyers are first to finish their series in a complete manhandling of the Devils. Could have easily been a sweep.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 07:19:04 PM by Strazos »

Fear the Backstab!
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #48 on: April 23, 2010, 06:20:15 AM

The Flyers   ACK! - but good one them since I hate the fucking Devils...aside from Brodeur.

And I would like to thank the Pens for not only culling the herd of shoppers last night but also for running the game all god damn night long which effectively eliminated all traffic from the city. Amazing how fast I get home when there are no douchebags on the road fucking things up.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 23, 2010, 10:24:10 AM

Re: Kicked in goals.

So the Senators cling to life with a really grtty game and rolling the dice on Pascal Leclaire.  But not before there is a goal called back on Nick Foligno, very much like Sedin's no-goal.  Ron McLean gets a hold of the DVD that was distributed to refs and runs some clips after the 1st OT

WARNING. May cause rage in Canucks fans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqXbbNfhhL4

Wow.  I can't wait to see how the NHL defends that.
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 23, 2010, 11:10:08 AM

So the Senators cling to life with a really grtty game and rolling the dice on Pascal Leclaire.  But not before there is a goal called back on Nick Foligno, very much like Sedin's no-goal.  Ron McLean gets a hold of the DVD that was distributed to refs and runs some clips after the 1st OT

I hope you are referencing that lime green travesty of a jacket... holy shit that was aweful.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
WayAbvPar

Reply #51 on: April 23, 2010, 11:49:25 AM

Both the Foligno goal (which was washed out) and the Alfredsson goal from the DVD (good goal) are identical- the player moves his foot in order to contact the puck with his instep. That is entirely intentional, and to me should be no goal (if they are going to call any of them, which they shouldn't). The Sedin goal was with the outside of the foot, and I am reasonably sure he was fucking stopping before the puck even came his way, so there is no way he could guide it into the net.

The rule should be if your skate blade comes off the ice at any point it is no goal. Other wise they should count it.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #52 on: April 23, 2010, 11:50:02 AM

Every time I see Hockey Night in Canada, I weep for the state of hockey TV coverage in the US. Don Cherry is so full of awesome craziness how can you not be entertained by him?

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: April 23, 2010, 12:49:55 PM

NO. Sorry. NO on kicked in goals. And those replays are not equivalent. Using your skate like a soccer player to poke the puck in the net should be disallowed. Only if it is the result of an inadvertent carom should the goal be allowed. And if there is any doubt, NO. Foligno used his foot like a soccer player. Case closed.

On the no penalty call on the Senator — as much as I am entertained by Cherry's clowning, if that were Malkin on a breakaway and a Senator D-man made the same play, and a penalty called, he would be snorting incessantly over the injustice of it. It looked to me (and the dim witted Versus announcers deemed it a valid no-call, and the color guy was obviously biased in Sens favor) like Letang got puck, but those replays show different. Still, at real time, you can see it's a close call.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: April 23, 2010, 12:56:52 PM

NO. Sorry. NO on kicked in goals. And those replays are not equivalent. Using your skate like a soccer player to poke the puck in the net should be disallowed. Only if it is the result of an inadvertent carom should the goal be allowed. And if there is any doubt, NO. Foligno used his foot like a soccer player. Case closed.

How are they different?  The plays that happened are identical to the plays shown.  Do you even know the rule?

A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player’s skate who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal. A puck that is directed into the net by an attacking player’s skate shall be a legitimate goal as long as no distinct kicking motion is evident.

The league claims they tweaked the rule and sent that video to clarify.  The video clearly shows this is not the case.

The kicking rule was changed because it was too hard for the refs to gauge intent.  So they say "ok, intent doesn't matter, just whether you actually kick it".  And now the rule is changing as they go along.

Edit: Let me clarify.  I'm not arguing whether it should or shouldn't be.  What I'm saying is the NHL has no fucking clue themselves!

When Sedin did it, the NHL said no.  They said they distributed a video clearing that up (which is weird enough that they tweak a rule without telling anyone).  Then Foligno does it, no goal.  Fine, didn't count for one, shouldn't for the other.

But now we see, their video says the complete opposite!  I don't care what rule is, I just want to know what it is.  Except, if I asked someone from the head office, they don't know either.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:21:28 PM by Special J »
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 23, 2010, 02:58:20 PM

One of the largest problems in the NHL, from reffing to goals disallowed, hits, suspensions and the like; they lack consistency. Often times they seem to decide things on a whim. Goals kicked in or not is one example. Another is the interference call. In the Pens/Sens game there were probably 20+ interference calls that could have been made, and when that penalty does get called its often for something soft. Suspensions are a big one.

I would have far fewer issues with the state of the NHL if they would just be consistent. Even on stuff I disagree with (like the interference penalty, the instigator, and such) I wouldn't mind it as much if they were consistent in how they called/ruled things.

I'm glad the Senators won, though. I know the Pens will take the series, but I live in hope the Pens lose. I can't take the man-crushes on Crosby from the announcers and such. Its one reason I can't stand McGuire from TSN. He sounds like he's having an orgasm when he talks about Crosby. And his muscular thighs.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #56 on: April 25, 2010, 09:21:41 AM

Watching the conclusion to that Pitt game was just embarrassing. The Sens blow a 3 goal lead mostly in the 3rd, and the Pens did it without Crosby or Malkin doing a damn thing. Matt Cooke had two goals for heaven's sake.

Yeesh.  swamp poop

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: April 25, 2010, 09:26:53 AM

How are they different?  The plays that happened are identical to the plays shown.  Do you even know the rule?

A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player’s skate who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal. A puck that is directed into the net by an attacking player’s skate shall be a legitimate goal as long as no distinct kicking motion is evident.

The league claims they tweaked the rule and sent that video to clarify.  The video clearly shows this is not the case.

The kicking rule was changed because it was too hard for the refs to gauge intent.  So they say "ok, intent doesn't matter, just whether you actually kick it".  And now the rule is changing as they go along.

Different because in one case it is clear that it is either (a) a distinct kicking motion or (b) a soccer player like intentional deflection — in contrast to the other where the puck innocently caroms off a player skate and ends up in net.

The ambiguity and rule shift is a result of the "distinct kicking motion" not covering (b). But if you look at those replays again, you can see when (b) has happend and when it by happenstance just banked off the skate.

Strazos

Reply #58 on: April 25, 2010, 09:30:47 AM

You should still be able to deflect it in off a skate. Not to the point where you would actually be exerting force to deflect it, but if you simply put your skate in the way? Should be good.

Fear the Backstab!
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #59 on: April 26, 2010, 06:28:33 AM

The issue with the Sedin goal, is that he was doing a standard hockey manuever in slide-stopping so that he would not crash in to the goalie. The pass from behind the net hit his skate as it was sliding sideways towards the net. The NHL apparently is arguing that the sideways motion propelled it in to the net. Of course, considering the short distance involved and the velocity of the pass, it would have likely done the same damn thing whether or not the skate was moving... Either way, IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE WE WON, BITCHES. Eat that Mr. NHL "It sure would be nice to see LA win the Cup" guy.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 26, 2010, 07:42:54 AM

I gotta admit first I am a Pens fan. Ever since I was a kid and forked over $70 for a Barrasso jersey which I wore to death. I lost hope on the Pens game 6 second period. But holy shit did that team turn it on in the 3rd. No clue how far they will move on but that was a hell of a show of offensive talent and all without a peep out of Crosby. I await a Pens/Flyers match up - PLEASE!

WayAbvPar

Reply #61 on: April 26, 2010, 09:12:55 AM

IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE WE WON, BITCHES. Eat that Mr. NHL "It sure would be nice to see LA win the Cup" guy.

Still 3 more rounds to screw us.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #62 on: April 26, 2010, 10:47:50 PM

IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE WE WON, BITCHES. Eat that Mr. NHL "It sure would be nice to see LA win the Cup" guy.

You guys are fairly full of shit with this whole conspiracy stuff.  Over the years its almost always Canadian teams that get the calls.  Also when you look at the Caps v Habs series can you really tell me there is an NBA style conspiracy at work or just some bad calls and you guys being pedantic.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: April 27, 2010, 03:21:51 AM

Thank you Boston. Now, about Montreal... nothing nicer than seeing Ovy worried.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: April 27, 2010, 09:44:07 AM

You guys are fairly full of shit with this whole conspiracy stuff.  Over the years its almost always Canadian teams that get the calls.  Also when you look at the Caps v Habs series can you really tell me there is an NBA style conspiracy at work or just some bad calls and you guys being pedantic.

Well Vancouver is indeed the Canadian counterpart to Buffalo…

awesome, for real

Strazos

Reply #65 on: April 27, 2010, 04:48:25 PM

Would be pretty sweet for the Caps to lose.

Would much rather see PHL vs BOS than vs WSH, for obvious reasons. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: April 27, 2010, 07:50:23 PM

Red Wings been the better, hungrier squad, but Good Gates, some egregious calls have gave them a giant margin in period 2.

Holmstrom grabs and pulls down Aucoin, yet Aucoin gets call for holding, Wings convert PP.

Later on 5 on 3, Zetterberg intentionally dislodges net. No call.

Even on one the Coyotes got, a tripping call on Miller, it was called by ref on other side of ice as the one looking directly at an obvious trip astonishingly did not.

But Yotes deserve to lose for giving up breakaway goal to Brad Stuart.

Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: April 28, 2010, 08:01:59 AM

Montreal vs Caps. While I believe the Caps will get this game, if they don't I'll be quite excited. The change to see Montreal vs Boston is too tempting to pass up.

El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: April 28, 2010, 02:23:12 PM

WSH in 7

I demand extra points for this!

I work near the Verizon Center.  When I went out to grab lunch at about 12:30 I saw three guys wandering around in Montreal Canadiens jerseys.  One had a blue football helmet, which had two can holders with moose-horn-shaped crazy straws that eventually led down to the guy’s facemask.  Unfortunately, the holders were loaded with bottled iced tea.  The open container laws in DC aren't as friendly as the ones in Montreal.

Hard not to root for the underdog, especially when it has a fanbase that cares so much more.  But let's go Caps, I wanna see the Penguins in the playoffs without driving up to Pittsburgh.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: April 28, 2010, 02:44:22 PM

Washington needs to win; I loathe Montreal and the majority of their bandwagon fans (which is most of them).

Reffing was bad in the Detroit/Phoenix game, but I was pleased to see Phoenix lose, as its one of those franchises that shouldn't exist and a large part of what's wrong with the league as a whole. Got to give the team credit for their performance this year; in the West, no less!

I'm already looking ahead to the second round, though. Want the Sharks out, Dys out, and the Penguins out (if only so I don't have to deal with MgGuire and his man-crush on Crosby, let alone the rest of them, where they find excuses for when he isn't the Second Coming; even offsides!).

Want the Blackhawks to go far, but doubt they will; they really should have gone for Roloson at the trade dead-line. Their goaltending is a definite issue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL: Lord Stanley Tourney 2010 Predictions  
Jump to: