Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:47:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: My Random Questions Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Random Questions Thread  (Read 9455 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

on: March 22, 2010, 05:45:19 PM

Instead of hijacking another thread, I'm going to post random questions I have about the game here since I can't seem to find anyone online when I'm playing!

Anyway, how important is it to start my gathering skill?  I'm somewhat "paranoid" about having to grind out gathering to get money.  Just hit 16 and grabbed the explorer profession and I'll have to go back to newbie land to get it leveled up.  Is it that important?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 06:10:12 PM

I had like 10g+ by level 35 (horse buying level) without bothering with my crafting/gathering skills at all, and that includes keeping myself mostly in purple weapons from the auction house (and for a bit purple armor too) pre-skirmish levels. Just auction everything even vaguely useful you find that you're not going to use. Mind you that does include a fair amount of skirmish play from 30 to 35 (generates pretty good money from bounty sales), and once you're skirmishing you never have to pay gold for a weapon since you can spend skirmish marks on them for free.

When I hit 35 I realized that I didn't even have to buy a horse since I had the free goat so I bought a house instead.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 07:16:39 PM

Alternatively, you can have less money if you don't auction things because it takes way too much fucking time to transport and post. why so serious?

Gathering itself is not critical to anything.  Useful for getting things for crafting or for selling.  Rare reagents drop from mobs now.  Mind you, I have considered it in order to supplement my charity-case wife, but I am really not applying myself because I only recently rolled up a mule to do auctions for me... it was the shared vault that prompted me to make a mule.  His name is Mewli and he lives in Thorin's Hall.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 07:44:38 PM

Also, the time you save by not stopping to harvest every relevant node you see when questing is staggering.

most often known as Drevik
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 06:57:27 AM

Great, that's what I had thought.  I had forgotten if there were major gold sinks in this game like WOW.  I hate crafting and gathering.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 08:09:10 AM

If you pick up something like an ingredient and its purple, should I stick it in the auction house or just sell it at a grocer?

Hic sunt dracones.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 08:11:50 AM

If you pick up something like an ingredient and its purple, should I stick it in the auction house or just sell it at a grocer?

Stacks sell decently on the AH, however if it comes to bag space, or caring at all, just vender it. OR, put it in the kinhall for others.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 10:03:36 AM

For me crafting was mostly useful for twinking out alts or new players, not for my own personal use.  Gathering can get you a pile of money if you just AH it all though, as has already been said.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 11:26:02 AM

I just AH *everything*, even the crap that sells for 5 silver each. Some of the lower level crafty purple ingredients can go for 40+ silver though, I've noticed that the various Flax Fibres in particular sell well. Depending on the recipe and how many are already up recipes can sell for a lot as well, every once in a while I'm able to sell one of those purple one-shot recipies for 200+.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 11:29:56 AM

Stuff like that, that I collect across all my alts, I put into shared storage until I get a full stack, then, it goes to the AH.

The only downside to pack ratting for the auction hall is, how much bag space that takes up.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 12:39:51 PM

Well, that's why I made that mule to hold my shit.  He's going to live his life in the foyer of Thorin's Hall.  He's the default location for my reputation items and he's the one that posts/collects auctions.  If I wasn't using all of my hides, he'd be collecting that and posting them.  Of course, I am only somewhat dilligent about it and will happily vend items that are bothering me.  This is made feasible for me only by the shared vault, otherwise I'd not bother.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 12:48:53 PM

The inventory management is only a problem with recipes really, everything else saleable stacks.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 08:39:14 AM

So, does this game still have a buddy key referral system?  I'm slightly curious with WoW having lost my interest until the next time it patches something I give a crap about.

-Rasix
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 08:48:05 AM

So, does this game still have a buddy key referral system?  I'm slightly curious with WoW having lost my interest until the next time it patches something I give a crap about.

Yes. PM me (or whoever) with your e-mail.

Rasix

Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 08:50:04 AM

Done. Thanks.

-Rasix
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 09:19:05 AM

You should have mail.

Rasix

Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 10:02:33 AM

Nothing yet.  But I'll keep looking.

-Rasix
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 02:46:55 PM

While trying to fix his issue, I just noticed that next to the free trial, LOTRO with all expansions is just 30$.

Can't really beat that.

Also: March 25th through March 29th is a welcome back. (Free to play for old accounts)

Also:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 02:52:06 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Rasix

Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 03:04:17 PM

Thanks Bloodworth. All set to try this again.  We'll see how well I fare this time, and hopefully my WoW malaise isn't just a general diku one (that doomed my EQ2 efforts).

What's a good soloing class that isn't too elfy?  Keep in mind that I'll never want to do anything more than just randomly mash buttons in a group (if I ever do).

-Rasix
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 03:48:48 PM

I would've thought they could a bit better than limited-time free play + 5% XP bonus

And the festival horses are broken

third festival in a row I believe
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 04:08:55 PM

You really like to bitch about LotRO.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 06:57:50 PM

Thanks Bloodworth. All set to try this again.  We'll see how well I fare this time, and hopefully my WoW malaise isn't just a general diku one (that doomed my EQ2 efforts).

What's a good soloing class that isn't too elfy?  Keep in mind that I'll never want to do anything more than just randomly mash buttons in a group (if I ever do).

All of them?  Hunter or champ if you want smooth slide through levels (ie. Little adjusting as you gain levels).  Captain is a quick pass to 45, then tapers off.  Minstrel is uber DPS or Heal (depending on build) - but takes a lot of work early on and needs some seriously planning later.  Don't play LM.

I recommend describing your play style in a seperate thread and letting the "vets" argue fine points.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 07:59:23 PM

Champion is mostly button mashing madness and has AE stuff for when you overpull...

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 11:00:42 PM

You really like to bitch about LotRO.

yup good call, I quit
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 05:36:16 AM

I'm coming back for the freebie weekend.  Does anyone else have sound issues with their RK?  Some of my abilities kinda fizz over my speakers.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 07:17:01 AM

I am suspicious that this is not class-related.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 07:13:44 PM

Don't forget to sign up for the lottery every couple days on my.lotro.com, I won the Spring Horsie with Creothyn today.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 09:23:29 AM

Bastard! awesome, for real

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 07:40:55 AM

Man, the free fast travel really spoiled me. I zipped back and forth between zones like a madman on my LM (I was doing the first epic book and trying to farm the pages for march of the ents / noble savage; I thought about getting the eagle pet too, but it needs a putrid slime of helchwhatever... yeah, no.)

Some of my guildies have grumbled about the 5% bonus (other games have doublexp weekends and +20% xp heirlooms etc), but eh, imo don't look a gift horse in the mouth and all that.

Speaking of gift horses -- I got the lottery horse on all 3 of my characters; one of them didn't even have a "normal" horse yet, so I imagine that's 4 gold in the bank. I'd say that's pretty awesome, for real The lottery horse is last year's mount model (different from this year's), but that's good enough for me!

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 09:01:07 AM

I seem to be at a bit of a loss. I'm doing quests and whatever but I have no idea what people are on about with "epic books" and stuff. Explain?

Hic sunt dracones.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 09:34:20 AM

I thought about getting the eagle pet too, but it needs a putrid slime of helchwhatever... yeah, no.)

You can get the putrid slime via skirmish tokens these days.  All of the legendary trait items are on one of the vendors.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 09:54:18 AM

Yeah, you "can" get it, but it costs 2600 marks. At this level, that's like 3 weeks of straight skirmish grinding.. nuts to that. I'll just get the bog lurker instead.

edited to add actual content!
I seem to be at a bit of a loss. I'm doing quests and whatever but I have no idea what people are on about with "epic books" and stuff. Explain?
Epic books are long stretches of quest lines that unravel an overarching story (and have pretty good rewards to boot). In your quest log there should be a category called 'Epic - Vol X. Book Y' with the subquests in 'Book Y, Chapter Z: Title' format; if you have a new character, it should be 'prologue'. If you don't have any quests like this, I think the first one starts in the prancing pony (correct me if I'm wrong).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:57:00 AM by Zetor »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 09:57:32 AM

I did skirmish grinding all last week to get the 2600 marks for one piece of a hunter quest. It's not 3 weeks worth, at least not at level 50. It's about 1 week's worth, maybe 20 skirmishes? Of course, for both sets of the final components, you'll need about 3500, so maybe 2 weeks. The good and bad side to that is that you'll get at least a level's worth of exp. just skirmishing.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: My Random Questions Thread  
Jump to: