Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:34:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Predators 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Predators  (Read 21303 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #35 on: July 12, 2010, 10:31:33 AM

Ah, yeah, good point.  I'd forgotten about that.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 12, 2010, 10:42:45 AM

Yeah, I was queued up for a few squads of Predators to show up during that scene but it still had a good payoff.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #37 on: July 12, 2010, 11:12:57 AM

When I look back at it, I think the only thing overall that would have made this movie better is if they had the prey fighting back more.  After Arnies team in the first one lost a few men, they actually setup an ambush and fought back a bit.  These guys are all suppose to be top killers in the world, so it would have been cool for them to have successfully fought against the predators more (since they obviously want some sort of challenge).  As it was, they mainly just ran away and died throughout it.  But still, it was handled fairly well, and still a fun movie.

I had to lol at what dicks the predators are though.  It must have taken that special forces guy days and days, and tons of effort to build all those traps he made.  I imagine the predators sitting there for days watching him, letting him toil away for days.  Then, once he finally finish's and hunkers down on the high ground, casually plunk him in the chest from a distance.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:34:30 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 12, 2010, 11:56:56 AM

That scene was really silly.

How many drop stakes did he MAKE and WHY didn't he run out of fucking trees Huh

I also don't really understand how they knew the traps were there.  Arnie used the same old fashioned organic approach and it worked just fine.  I honestly would have expected that lot to have bagged at least ONE.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 13, 2010, 09:27:45 AM

Well it depends but due to their thermo vision which they showed letting them follow heat tracks its likely they were seeing his ambient body heat on the traps as they were being built.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: July 14, 2010, 05:18:05 PM

Saw this tonight, I enjoyed it immensely. It is definitely a worthy sequel and a decent stand-alone action movie to boot.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 14, 2010, 06:21:59 PM

Easily the second best Predator-based movie. Ok, that's no great shakes, but it adds more to what Predator did in 1987 than the frankly bizarre (but enjoyable) Predator 2 and the excrable AvP franchise. It's a proper sequel done in a simple, low-key fashion - the formulae is not fucked with and neither is the time line. It could have been set a year after Dutch's first encounter... Everything else is balls-deep silly, which frankly is really what I was after anyway.

To be honest, I was expecting more Predators that we got, but the ones that were there did their job A-ok. Big, menacing, ugly, fuck-hard. Talking of big, menacing, and fuck-hard - Adrien Brody as a leading action hero? That took a while to get used to. I mean, clearly the guy bulked up for the role, and he's looking a hell of a lot healthier in it than any number of flicks he's been in for the last decade, but still. I still found myself rooting for him because he's still weedy nerdy Adrien Brody in my mind, not because he was omg mercenary tough guy.

Best thing about this movie by far is Fat Larry's cameo. I started a three row deep simultaneous giggle-fit in the cinema when he showed up. I mean, seriously. Survived for ten seasons? Either there's a magic Cake Tree in that forest or he ate the rest of his crew before the Predators even got a look-in.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: July 15, 2010, 10:47:30 AM

I nearly fell asleep watching this so....I think people were just happy that the acting wasn't god awful. Again why are humans interesting? They don't pose a threat to the predators, do we really need another "your guns suck har har" movie? Seriously a fucking minigun can't snag a few predators that are lurking 10 feet away in front of the minigun? I am to believe that it takes 5 minutes worth of ammo to take out 1 dog charging at them in a straight line? SERIOUSLY. The bigger predator hunts little predator was only introduced to extend the movie for an extra 10 minutes. If it had skipped that whole sequence we wouldn't have missed a thing (in fact it would probably make more sense). To use spill ratings if you just have to see this rent it, other wise some old bullshit.
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 16, 2010, 12:14:00 AM

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #44 on: July 18, 2010, 12:07:32 AM

Did anyone else notice that Brody borrowed Christian Bale's Batman voice?
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 18, 2010, 11:18:37 AM

Good flick, great cast, 4/5 stars. 
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #46 on: July 19, 2010, 11:20:12 PM

Did anyone else notice that Brody borrowed Christian Bale's Batman voice?

Close, but nowhere nearly as annoying. Could be that Brody has a lot more going on with his face and eyes when he acts, whereas Bale just tries to murder scenery.

Having said that, this movie was a LOT better then i was expecting. Good pacing, good length, some excellent casting (holy shit, a Russian that speaks actual Russian and does looks like he could be in the Sptsnaz?!) - definitely one of the best action flicks i've seen for a while.

I need to watch this one and the first one side-by-side, but i have a sneaking suspicion that the reason it (Predators) sucked so little was because they actually stuck pretty close to the pacing of the original.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 20, 2010, 10:12:33 AM

I nearly fell asleep watching this so....I think people were just happy that the acting wasn't god awful. Again why are humans interesting?

You did not see AvP?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 20, 2010, 11:06:09 AM

I nearly fell asleep watching this so....I think people were just happy that the acting wasn't god awful. Again why are humans interesting?

You did not see AvP?

I rather have AvP done well (never going to happen) than a predator one regurgitation. Yeah I know AvP2 was my eyes having an abortion.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: July 22, 2010, 09:28:51 PM

Close, but nowhere nearly as annoying. Could be that Brody has a lot more going on with his face and eyes when he acts, whereas Bale just tries to murder scenery.

Having said that, this movie was a LOT better then i was expecting. Good pacing, good length, some excellent casting (holy shit, a Russian that speaks actual Russian and does looks like he could be in the Sptsnaz?!) - definitely one of the best action flicks i've seen for a while.

The actor who played the Russian is Oleg Taktarov, the former early UFC/MMA fighter.  I was waiting for him to start munching on a Sandvitch, though...

I need to watch this one and the first one side-by-side, but i have a sneaking suspicion that the reason it (Predators) sucked so little was because they actually stuck pretty close to the pacing of the original.

The big thing for me is they used so many of the originals themes, music, and sound cues.  Including ending it with "Long Tall Sally".  The score and audio for the first Predator movie is still top notch.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 23, 2010, 02:54:49 AM

Seriously, chaps, my use of the word 'remake' was carefully considered.

Heart

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 25, 2010, 08:30:12 AM

Really enjoyed this. and in the DvD commentary, they said that they used only influences from he first move, as if the second never happened. I think that was the right choice.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: November 10, 2010, 03:26:03 PM

I finally saw this on demand and I thoroughly enjoyed it. As many of you have said, it's the best Predator since the original. And in this case, I actually caught myself hoping for a sequel.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: November 21, 2010, 09:06:07 AM

I thought it was poorly written. Not very fun and too predictable.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 01, 2011, 08:26:35 PM

I just watched this, i thought it was pretty good but the recreation of the Billy scene bugged the hell out of me.  There was no reason for the Yakuza guy to sacrifice himself for the others, none whatsoever, besides happening to be the quiet mysterious guy this time around.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:08:08 AM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 02, 2011, 04:46:30 AM

I'm not sure you could call either incidents sacrifice.

As far as I can tell, both men reached the end of their tether in being played with and desired to match themselves against the Hunter.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #56 on: January 02, 2011, 05:35:47 AM

It was a simple, silly movie. One that required a turning-off of the brain. I still enjoyed it for what it was, though.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #57 on: January 02, 2011, 05:40:24 AM

Fact: Previously we got Aliens vs Predator movies. Comparatively speaking, this was a goddamn masterpiece. And predators are awesome.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #58 on: January 14, 2011, 09:48:02 PM

Finally watched this tonight. I bought it with the $10 Blockbuster gift card I got for Xmas and it was well worth it. Definitely the best since the first, and pretty damn close to the same quality. Yes, there were plot holes but the movie was good enough I just went with it. Hated that the Yakuza guy died the way he did - it did seem a bit forced. It seemed to happen for no other reason than to have a really good sword fight set piece. But it was well done so I went with it. Brody did quite well as an action hero and the doctor part made me want to see Topher Grace in more roles. That almost made up for AvP 1 & 2.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #59 on: January 16, 2011, 02:57:40 AM

It was a simple, silly movie. One that required a turning-off of the brain. I still enjoyed it for what it was, though.

Oh sweet fucking Jesus how I loathe that phrase.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #60 on: January 18, 2011, 01:39:26 AM

I enjoyed the movie for what it was.  Though I kept seeing the cast as Team Fortress characters (I was just waiting for the convict to confess he was on death row for arson)

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 19, 2011, 03:26:21 AM

Yeah I hate that expression too. My brain doesn't turn off unless I'm asleep.

It's also something that can justify anything.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #62 on: January 19, 2011, 04:39:42 AM

Pretty much how I feel about it.  "Just turn off your brain" could be as equally applied to Epic Movie as it is to Predators.  I think the last time I ranted about the phrase, it was being applied to the shittastic movie Eagle Eye.  I can forgive "hey, I just like to see Predators kill people", or even "it's a guilty pleasure".  At least those are variations of saying that it's just a personal preference, and in regards to Predators, I can agree with them both and enjoy the movie on that level.  When people talk about turning off your brain to enjoy a movie though, there's always the connotation that if I don't enjoy it, it's my own fault for not being able to forgive all the stupid shit in it.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #63 on: February 19, 2011, 05:52:30 PM

I don't really give a flying sideways fuck about how butthurt you get from a simple turn of phrase. If you need a more specific description of how people may choose to view a movie non-critically and ignore aspects ranging from silly to abject cartoonish stupidity that's your own fucking problem. Now go fuck yourself to sleep.
 Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
WayAbvPar

Reply #64 on: August 16, 2011, 08:59:19 AM

Finally got around to seeing this. Now I am sorry I bothered. God it was terrible.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Predators  
Jump to: