Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:17:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: License 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: License  (Read 3257 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

on: March 18, 2010, 12:55:42 PM

does Turbine have exclusive rights to the Tolkien franchise?  I thought I read somewhere they did until 2017?  Anyone know?

Asking because I would be curious if someone else wasn't trying to get an MMO started with the lore, someone like Cryptic
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 11:03:23 PM

Wouldn't that be colossally stupid?  Of the Tolkien people, I mean, if they were to license the IP to two separate games simultaneously in competition with each other?  Especially since LOTRO isn't flopping horribly or anything, as far as I know, and is in general about the closest you can get to faithfully recreating Middle Earth and making a good game at the same time?

Even once any exclusivity runs out, it seems like the Tolkien people would be fools to license it for a competitor MMO.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 12:23:43 AM

Turbine doesn't hold the license exclusively for video games, but they *do* hold it exclusively for MMOs, I believe.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 06:46:05 AM

I think it's Saul Zaentz who owns the MMO or VG rights, so... who knows?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 07:08:20 AM

I can't be sure about exclusivity, but Turbine has the rights to run an MMG based on the main trilogy of books and The Hobbit until 2014, with an option to extend until 2017.

http://www.lotro.com/news/pressreleases/130-turbine-and-tolkien-enterprises-extend-relationship

Note they do not have rights to the movie, nor to The Silmarillion, the Unfinished Tales, the professor's correspondence &c. That's why Khamul is "The Lieutenant of Dol Guldur" and Ost-in-Edhil is "Echad Mirobel."

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 08:15:19 AM

The Tolkien stuff has always had a split license. I'm hazy on the details but the original trilogy and The Hobbit are owned by Tolkien Enterprises while The Silmarillion and other stuff is owned by Christopher Tolkien, who guards them jealously. Or I have it mixed up. Regardless, it is true that the IP is carved up by book between different entities. The only time ANYONE has had access to the entire IP is when ICE got hold of it way back in the day for Middle Earth Roleplaying.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: License  
Jump to: