Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:27:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Stronghold Kingdoms 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stronghold Kingdoms  (Read 55285 times)
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: August 05, 2010, 05:07:47 AM

Just to emphasize my point, here's a screenshot (not from my game, it's already published):

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #36 on: August 05, 2010, 06:44:17 AM

So if I place archers in my castle, do they reset at some point? I went back at times and they weren't there. I'm guessing it's a bug, but who knows.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 05, 2010, 02:19:53 PM

So if I place archers in my castle, do they reset at some point? I went back at times and they weren't there. I'm guessing it's a bug, but who knows.

Make sure after placing or moving units around in the castle screen to always click "Confirm". I didn't do this a few times and wondered as to why my just-placed units were back in the barracks.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #38 on: August 06, 2010, 08:44:19 AM

Yes, I just found the confirm button yesterday. That's rather important given that IT'S NOT IN THE INSTRUCTIONS!

Also I'm not sure what to do with all these peasants. I'm taxing the crap out of them for research points, but I need a bigger army.

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 06, 2010, 10:00:51 AM

Most of your money is from selling to the market. You do need to research it and build a market but it's worth it.. usually you'll have an excess of something (apples I found I always had a ton of) and hopefully the market isn't too oversaturated with what you're trying to sell. It starts out at 150 GP per block of stuff but once you get a lot of it in there it can go down to 30-40 and possibly even lower.

It seems most of the top players max out their scouting techs first.. stashes spawn so regularly that if you have the time to sit in front of the computer and collect from stashes all day you'll have resources pouring in.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #40 on: August 06, 2010, 11:11:18 AM

Yes, I'm noticing I should be pouring time into Tools and Scouting. These things are good.

Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 08, 2010, 01:37:50 PM

Anyone understand the actual utility of goods and food types?  Why start making bread when your apple trees are already so effective?  What will I do with furniture?  I understand I can sell them, but why should I buy them? 
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 08, 2010, 02:13:06 PM

The more food types you eat the higher your popularity is. Right now I have my rations set to x4 and they're eating 4 types so it's giving me +60 popularity. Furniture is a banquet good and is used for banquets. Basically you just take, let's say 50 venison and 50 furniture, that gets multiplied by 4 and you get 200 honor instantly. If you have 3 types of good it gets multiplied by 9, 4 is 16, etc.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 02:22:00 PM by Azuredream »

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #43 on: August 10, 2010, 08:00:01 AM

Yeah in many cases if your people are eating through double rations but only 2 types of food, you'd be better off going single and letting them eat 3 types in terms of popularity. I've had this happen several times.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 17, 2010, 09:47:57 PM

Ok, so you want plus popularity or you don't get any honor.  Plus popularity means people move in until all your houses are full.  This means no bonus from extra housing and probably no/less bonus from eating different foods. 

So you want people moving in, but you don't want more people?  Is there a better way of getting rid of people than just using them to fight?  There doesn't seem to be much to fight... or am I missing something...

Also I hope they nerf scouts before release.  While effective, vacuuming the landscape for free resources just seems against the spirit of everything else they've got going on.

Why don't you try our other games?
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: August 17, 2010, 11:16:57 PM

You only want 5-10 idle peasants when your hovels are full. You're not going to have the housing bonus to popularity very often. AI camps spawn pretty frequently and the castles can take a lot of troops to take down (but give a LOT of honor when destroyed). You can also attack other people's villages if you want, or steal flags from other parishes.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 18, 2010, 06:40:56 PM

Thanks.  Seems like I'd need to level up a lot of stuff before I could steal a flag.  I did manage to make it to a rebel camp first.  I lost all but 2 of my army but still won, I don't think it could have gone better.

So my noob bonus is about to run out, I guess I should be building arts and entertainment and making boatloads of food if I ever want to level up again.

In about 2 more hours I'll actually have 1 bow!

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #47 on: August 19, 2010, 12:16:03 PM

My tiny little parish is on the edge of that big mass of red in Berkshire and Oxfordshire, and i'm starting to get ingame mails asking for people to vote for them. Our current parish lead seems somewhat incompetent or lazy, so i'm kind of thinking i should probably fall in line at this point.

This is the first game of this type that I have any sort of interest in, I have no idea why.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 19, 2010, 03:07:17 PM

Much more dept than usual.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 19, 2010, 04:16:59 PM

My tiny little parish is on the edge of that big mass of red in Berkshire and Oxfordshire, and i'm starting to get ingame mails asking for people to vote for them. Our current parish lead seems somewhat incompetent or lazy, so i'm kind of thinking i should probably fall in line at this point.

This is the first game of this type that I have any sort of interest in, I have no idea why.

I'm a little bit northwest of you, in Lambourn/Winterbourne. I joined the red house. I don't think it really means anything right now though, until a victory condition is set.

Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 21, 2010, 07:50:36 PM

Anyone figured any longtime benefits for trades?  It seems to be set up in a way where price can only fall.  I just got commerce and the only place on the map where  the prices are still good for basic food is less developed parish.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 21, 2010, 09:56:34 PM

It is set up in a way where it can only fall. Every village type can make apples and cheese so there's really no need to buy those. The only place you're going to get a good price for those is like you said, a newer parish.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #52 on: August 23, 2010, 04:35:34 PM

It is set up in a way where it can only fall. Every village type can make apples and cheese so there's really no need to buy those. The only place you're going to get a good price for those is like you said, a newer parish.

That's really one of the only failings of the game economy I can see so far. The higher level items will have a market, but the lower ones will just drive the price into oblivion with no end. There should be some removal of items on a weekly basis to establish better trading.

Pyran
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 23, 2010, 05:56:11 PM

Anyone know what is the troop total and compositiion it takes to kill a wolf lair?
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: August 23, 2010, 06:25:40 PM

Weak.  20 peasants should have no problem.  Also a good bet against a bandit camp.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #55 on: August 23, 2010, 07:50:47 PM

20 peasants and 5 archers never failed on any of the wolf dens I hit. Also, I'm liking how expanded food options open up more honor quickly. The banquets honor is badass as well. I am really enthralled by the research depth of this game.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 07:52:58 PM by Paelos »

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 23, 2010, 08:48:41 PM

Fair warning, I'm not sure if it depends on the average rank of your parish (like with AI castles), but wolf dens can have up to 50+ wolves (I lost a troop of 30 archers that way). I send a decent compliment of pikeman/archers to take care of them, though if you don't have pikemen yet you can send nothing but archers - they won't aggro all of the wolves at once because they'll sit at range and attack the wolves as they come. You'll have some casualties on the larger wolf dens with that strat though.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #57 on: August 24, 2010, 06:35:41 AM

You can also scout them from what I understand. Never done that though.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: August 25, 2010, 07:37:56 PM

That's really one of the only failings of the game economy I can see so far. The higher level items will have a market, but the lower ones will just drive the price into oblivion with no end. There should be some removal of items on a weekly basis to establish better trading.

I just may be exploring this further.  The price of apples in my parish has fallen to 27... I an seriously considering razing my 3 orchards and just buying apples every day.  I can use them villagers and that real estate for other things.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #59 on: August 25, 2010, 08:17:40 PM

So, I'm sort of loosely following this thread but haven't really seen a definitive answer to the only question I have about games like this: is this the sort of game where if you don't join an uberguild and log in as often as everyone else to avoid being booted you end up getting raped in PvP with no way to recover?   Or can you putter around doing your own thing and still have fun?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: August 25, 2010, 09:08:36 PM

I believe there is a big penalty for attacking other people in this one, I've heard random talkings about it on the global chat.... but it does happen.

Definitely a game where you can do your own thing tho, I heard one guy just makes and sells food, that's all he does. 

The tech tree is very big.  Merchanting is well done IMO.  The combat is super nifty, building your own castle is a very nice touch.  Lots of crunchy math about max-minning stuff in your village to max your honor gain.

Give it a shot.

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 25, 2010, 10:29:24 PM

You can do your own thing if you lag behind the curve. The penalty is bigger if you attack someone who is lower rank than you, so nobody's going to bother attacking somebody 10+ ranks below them.

Pyran
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 26, 2010, 03:53:16 AM

So far my impression of the game pace is slow.  There's lots of scouting and selling to do, but its once every 20 to 40 min so you'll constantly babysit the game but its a slow crawl type of babysitting.

Dont see the point of buying premium for a que other than the first day.  Stuff that  you can que, build/research, you'll be starving for points and materials anyhow.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 26, 2010, 05:43:38 AM

The premium ability to move your buildings is pretty nice tho... especially the stockpile.  Also the foraging while you're offline premium ability.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #64 on: August 26, 2010, 08:46:13 AM

Trading and foraging while offline is cool, and the premium queues are cool until you are above level 10. Then, it makes almost no difference if you log in twice a day. It would highly depend on how much they plan on selling tokens for. If 100 tokens is $5, I could see this having legs.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #65 on: August 26, 2010, 03:43:40 PM

So to play this you have to join their email list and wait for an alpha/beta invite?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: August 26, 2010, 06:59:55 PM

So to play this you have to join their email list and wait for an alpha/beta invite?

Yep

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 27, 2010, 06:56:43 AM

I just may be exploring this further.  The price of apples in my parish has fallen to 27... I an seriously considering razing my 3 orchards and just buying apples every day.  I can use them villagers and that real estate for other things.

Just got the ability to trade in other parishes...

Methinks someone needs to adjust their auto trades...

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: August 27, 2010, 09:06:44 AM

How are vegetables more than meat? And cheese is more than bread? You live in a very odd parish.

Ratadm
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 27, 2010, 06:17:30 PM

Vegetables can only be made in lowlands and plains, meat can be made in every type of village.  No idea what's up with the cheese though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Stronghold Kingdoms  
Jump to: